Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,052 members, 7,838,656 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe (13160 Views)

Photos : Namadi Sambo Hands Over Aguda House To Prof. Yemi Osinbajo / Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by OgidiBoy(m): 3:23am On Nov 17, 2012
Happy birthday to my beloved town's man. You and your whole family have done us proud, you have put Ogidi on the map.

May God keep us alive and healthy so we can celebrate 20 more of your birthdays.

Long live Chinua Achebe!

Long Live Sons and daughters of Ogidi!!

Long Live Igbo nation!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Librate(m): 8:06am On Nov 17, 2012
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PROFF! chukwu tinye gi ndu na ahu ike

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by kutchs: 10:37am On Nov 17, 2012
ikooko: This man is a great man no doubt. Ordinarily I expected more birthday wishes from all conners but the absense of that is better explained by his trabalism and insult to his elders.
I also believed that his achievements were overated for obvious reasons.
He started well but messed up at the tail end.
All the same, HBD Chinua Achebe, I pray you become redeemable before your time.
...........................With Love from Oodua Kingdom.
Do you mind telling us king of oodua kingdom how overrated are his achievements? Can you tell us which work by an African has received as much acclaim as Things Fall Apart?

Can you tell us which of those awards he doesnt deserve?
Can you tell us any of his book that is not class?
The whole world from Australia to Alaska, from Chile to Russia knows Achebe but who knows you?
You can rant as much as you want but you can never achieve a tenth of Achebe‘s.

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Arysexy(m): 10:57am On Nov 17, 2012
@mod, i hope those dat are derailing this thread are banned. This is abt bday wishes nd not politics
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by tomakint: 11:45am On Nov 17, 2012
@ mod I think I will appreciate it if the bar of punitive measures on Nairaland is raised to ward off 'those who intentionally derail sensitive threads' the purpose of a forum is to debate, educate, inform one another and not the way goons invade robust topics and hijack it for their own wicked intentions! Animals in human skins should be ban if they default, because its messing up the status of NL! cool
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by tomakint: 11:45am On Nov 17, 2012
@ mod I think I will appreciate it if the bar of punitive measures on Nairaland is raised to ward off 'those who intentionally derail sensitive threads' the purpose of a forum is to debate, educate, inform one another and not the way goons invade robust topics and hijack it for their own wicked intentions! Animals in human skins should be banned if they default, because its messing up the status of NL! cool
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by hbrednic: 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2012
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PROF
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by efetobore1: 8:29pm On Nov 17, 2012
happy birthday pof, a rare gem, if NIGERIA ve 2 of his kind, we wud ve bin saying a diffrent story
[b][/b]
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 17, 2012
Achebe is an overrated small minded bigot.
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Dede1(m): 9:14pm On Nov 17, 2012
Aigbofa: Achebe is an overrated small minded bigot.

You are an underrated and insignificant bigot.
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Dede1(m): 9:30pm On Nov 17, 2012
There are cross sections of Africans that continuously hunger to be accepted by Europeans. Most of these moronic dingbats that always talk about Achebe’s achievement or lack thereof hinged their skewed stream of thought on Nobel Prize.

If Achebe did not furiously challenge and critic the arrowhead of European’s misguided arrogation of err of supremacy to them selves in Joseph Conrad through Things Fall Apart and other critical essays, he would have been awarded the nonsensical Nobel Prize with a note.

Achebe has publically said that Nobel Prize is a European thing. And I do believe that the so-called Nobel Prize committee is worried that Achebe might be the first person and African to reject the crap.
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 17, 2012
Dede1: There are cross sections of Africans that continuously hunger to be accepted by Europeans. Most of these moronic dingbats that always talk about Achebe’s achievement or lack thereof hinged their skewed stream of thought on Nobel Prize.

If Achebe did not furiously challenge and critic the arrowhead of European’s misguided arrogation of err of supremacy to them selves in Joseph Conrad through Things Fall Apart and other critical essays, he would have been awarded the nonsensical Nobel Prize with a note.

Achebe has publically said that Nobel Prize is a European thing. And I do believe that the so-called Nobel Prize committee is worried that Achebe might be first person and African to reject the crap.

Ha ha ha. Achebe won't be the first person to reject a Nobel. Jean-Paul did that several years ago. I believe the real reason Achebe has been rejected perennially is the substandard nature of his works. He has an unenviable habit of doing copy and paste without adding substantial value. He has always been writing falsified history-personal or otherwise-as fiction. That's not a mark of a true genius worthy of a Nobel Prize.

Achebe is consoling himself by calling a Nobel an European thing. One would have taken him seriously had he never won any award from Europe.

The 59-year-old author [b]Jean-Paul Sartre [/b]declined the Nobel Prize in Literature, which he was awarded in October 1964. He said he always refused official distinctions and did not want to be "institutionalised". M. Sartre was interviewed by journalists outside the Paris flat of his friend Simone de Beauvoir, authoress and playwright. He also told the press he rejected the Nobel Prize for fear that it would limit the impact of his writing. He also expressed regrets that circumstances had given his decision "the appearance of a scandal".

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1964/sartre-docu.html

2 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by dayokanu(m): 10:57pm On Nov 17, 2012
You people una wicked oo.

See as una dey disgrace Dende left right and center

And na person Papa be dis
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 11:57pm On Nov 17, 2012
Happy B-day smiley
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 12:02am On Nov 18, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Ha ha ha. Achebe won't be the first person to reject a Nobel. Jean-Paul did that several years ago. I believe the real reason Achebe has been rejected perennially is the substandard nature of his works. He has an unenviable habit of doing copy and paste without adding substantial value. He has always been writing falsified history-personal or otherwise-as fiction. That's not a mark of a true genius worthy of a Nobel Prize.

Achebe is consoling himself by calling a Nobel an European thing. One would have taken him seriously had he never won any award from Europe.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1964/sartre-docu.html

How does he copy and paste? I've actually read several of his books and none of his books are the same. Even the novels that were a continuation of Things Fall Apart have little to do with the original book, with the link between two of the novels reveled at the end of the book.

Achebe never has refused an award, save for the ones from Nigeria. He doesn't talk about the nobel prize save for the time he congratulated Soyinka on winning his. And many nobel prizes in literature are fiction novels, Soyinka's entry was fiction if I'm not mistaken.

Only the most tribalistic fool would deny Achebe's place in history, other up and coming African authors cite him as an inspiration. More than 50 years later his novel is the most widely read African novel in history. Even Soyinka himself joked that often he has to tell people that it was Achebe and not him who wrote Things Fall Apart when people ask what novel he won his Nobel for.

The funny thing is while you guy take digs at him millions of High School and college students in the US alone are reading his novels despite all the hoopla over his latest book. I bet my left hand that this novel will also be a must read in American universities lol
Re: Happy Birthday To Prof Chinua Achebe by nku5: 3:49am On Nov 18, 2012
Just goes to show how backward these poorly educated haters are. Achebe is an institution worldwide but these jokers have never read his books. If these baboons say some of this stuff in public in say Howard University they would be beaten black and blue.

Crayola1:

How does he copy and paste? I've actually read several of his books and none of his books are the same. Even the novels that were a continuation of Things Fall Apart have little to do with the original book, with the link between two of the novels reveled at the end of the book.

Achebe never has refused an award, save for the ones from Nigeria. He doesn't talk about the nobel prize save for the time he congratulated Soyinka on winning his. And many nobel prizes in literature are fiction novels, Soyinka's entry was fiction if I'm not mistaken.

Only the most tribalistic fool would deny Achebe's place in history, other up and coming African authors cite him as an inspiration. More than 50 years later his novel is the most widely read African novel in history. Even Soyinka himself joked that often he has to tell people that it was Achebe and not him who wrote Things Fall Apart when people ask what novel he won his Nobel for.

The funny thing is while you guy take digs at him millions of High School and college students in the US alone are reading his novels despite all the hoopla over his latest book. I bet my left hand that this novel will also be a must read in American universities lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hunter Kills Colleague After Mistaking Him For An Antelope / Buhari To Probe Arms Purchase Under Jonathan / Boko Haram Members Kill 10-Year-Old Boy In Maiduguri (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.