Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,079 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? (47359 Views)

Man Dies After Drinking 4 Crates Of Beer In Lagos / 6 Harmful Effects Of Drinking Coca Cola (coke) And Pepsi / Snake Venom, World’s Strongest Beer Contains 67.5% Of Alcohol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Goldieluks: 9:07am On Nov 21, 2012
Both alcohol and soft drinks are harmful, but an individual can control his/her sugar level if consumed in moderacy.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Smartjeezy(m): 9:08am On Nov 21, 2012
Last night i took 13 bottles of heinekins.
I had a great night even better morning!
Just a little bit hangover now..

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by maclatunji: 9:11am On Nov 21, 2012
Let me add another point, there are days that I feel weak with low energy, I go and have a coke to increase my energy levels and it works. If I went for a beer, I would be tipsy at work. Trying to put the two on the same level of harmfulness is just silly. Overindulgence in anything is bad, clean water is the most healthy beverage in the world. Yet, if you drink too much of it, you will die if not stopped. Shall we then start comparing water to alcohol in terms of harmfulness to the human body?

2 Likes

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by nissparts(m): 9:12am On Nov 21, 2012
It's an amazing coincidence that I see this thread 2 days after I had a discussion with a barman about the same topic.
He assured me that beer contained way more sugar than soft-drinks which I did not believe until I carried out research on the internet just yesterday.
Well, results are, beer does indeed contain more sugar than soft-drinks.

1 Like

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by achi4u(m): 9:27am On Nov 21, 2012
I cant do without beer expecially when the promo is ongoinggrin

Shine shine bobo!cheesy

FACT:One sickness or ill must kill you some day...so be happy and take your drinks.

1 Like

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Freiburger(m): 9:28am On Nov 21, 2012
achi4u: I cant do without beer expecially when the promo is ongoinggrin

Shine shine bobo!cheesy

FACT:One sickness or ill must kill you some day...so be happy and take your drinks.
lol grin
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by omicron(m): 9:29am On Nov 21, 2012
nissparts: It's an amazing coincidence that I see this thread 2 days after I had a discussion with a barman about the same topic.
He assured me that beer contained way more sugar than soft-drinks which I did not believe until I carried out research on the internet just yesterday.
Well, results are, beer does indeed contain more sugar than soft-drinks.
It's misleading to draw a direct relationship between sugar content of beverages and their propensities to cause harm. Sugar is not the problem....if sugar was to be the cause of diabetes or anything then such diseases as diabetes would have been more of a disease of the young than the old. Beer causes harm through several alcohol-mediated pathways such as producing free radicals that ultimately results in inflammation(swelling) and necrosis(death) of liver cells, and causes ateries to thicken which increases the risk of hypertension and strokes. So it doesn't follow that the higher the sugar content, the more harmful it becomes.

1 Like

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by achi4u(m): 9:34am On Nov 21, 2012
Excerise is the key to a healthy life.

Even when am sick na to go collect one bottle of chill drink and the sickness will run away.

but you need to moderate everything in life.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Rooneyboy(m): 9:35am On Nov 21, 2012
they both are harmful,
"MODERATION" is the key word for me
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by fagin1982(m): 9:48am On Nov 21, 2012
omicron: It's misleading to draw a direct relationship between sugar content of beverages and their propensities to cause harm. Sugar is not the problem....if sugar was to be the cause of diabetes or anything then such diseases as diabetes would have been more of a disease of the young than the old. Beer causes harm through several alcohol-mediated pathways such as producing free radicals that ultimately results in inflammation(swelling) and necrosis(death) of liver cells, and causes ateries to thicken which increases the risk of hypertension and strokes. So it doesn't follow that the higher the sugar content, the more harmful it becomes.

You are just out condemn Alcohol ..My dear both are good to the system if taken moderately..Soft drinks re packed with fructose,sucrose when in excess directly affects the kidney..while Alcohol when taken in excess over taxes the liver

The word here is moderation..Alcohol is packed full of calories so its energy giving qualities re good
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 21, 2012
maclatunji:

What they mean is: "low sugar content added outside of the main ingredients of malted drinks". If you sue for deceptive advertising, you will lose.

Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware).
Noted!
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by babseg(m): 9:50am On Nov 21, 2012
hardbody: Point of correction @ Y'll, neither beer nor softdrinks cause diabetes. Diabetes is hereditary, if your folks never had it, chances are you would not.

Bank to the question, both beer and softdrinks contain sugar, at what level i am not able to confirm, however, faced with dangers arising from both, i will rather live with beer because it makes teh heart of mortal man merry

Abeg, help me educate them. Don't know why people believe that sugar is not the cause of diabetes.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 21, 2012
SOFT DRINK IS BAD FOR U IN THE SHORT RUN
BEER IS BAD FOR U IN THE LONG RUN + BEER CORRUPTS YOUR SOUL
SO U CAN DRINK SOFT DRINK, GET SICK, DIE AND GO TO HEAVEN
WITH BEER U WILL GET SICK, DIE AND MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL

SO U DONT DO 2-0,(DIE MISERABLY AND STILL GET CHUCKED INTO HELL) I SAY SOFT DRINK IS THE BETTER OF 2 EVILS cool

1 Like

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by MadCow1: 9:58am On Nov 21, 2012

2 Likes

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by MadCow1: 9:59am On Nov 21, 2012
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by MadCow1: 10:01am On Nov 21, 2012
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by tomakint: 10:03am On Nov 21, 2012
maclatunji:
What they mean is: "low sugar content added outside of the main ingredients of malted drinks". If you sue for deceptive advertising, you will lose.
Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware).
Thanks for the eye-opener, I even confirmed that 'schweppes' and 'guinness stouts' contain more sugar than any other softdrinks and beer made in Nigeria because of their quinine and malt contents respectively!
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by MadCow1: 10:03am On Nov 21, 2012
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by vislabraye(m): 10:43am On Nov 21, 2012
Beer is relatively better. Although stout is better that it. Stout is nutritious the only downside is its alcoholic content.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Freestyl(m): 10:47am On Nov 21, 2012
Beer or Softdrink... something must kill a man!
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by KDULAR: 10:50am On Nov 21, 2012
Average soft drink (33 cl)contains about 500 calories where as average beer in Nigeria (75cl) contains 150 calories. The soft drink volume is half that of the beer ,thus consuming thesame volume of beer and soft drink delivers 150 calories and 1000 calories respectively.
When the calory intake is consistently higher more than usage , it might result in Diabetes for evrybody but most especially those who are genetically disposed to and those with problems of the pancreas . Infact it can worsen the situation for the existing disease.
To me it is safer to take a beer than soft drink considering hat in most cases a bottle or two would've distended the stomach and ordinarily one will not take beyond this quantities and a total of 300 calories is delivered to the system. In contrast to soft drink where 6 times the amount will be delivered in thesame volume of 1.5litres.
Now beer seem to be more viscous and tend to trap the gas more than soft drinks which is lighter, thus the feeling of fullness is experienced earlier than soft drinks thus a moderate individual could easily lilmit his/her intake as compared to soft drinks.
However, beer when taken abnormally, ie beyond the point of feeling the distension in the stomach gets one tipsy althe way to being drunk, reducing ability to judge correctly, which is a big socila problem.
The sugar rush is another untoward effect of high consumption of soft drink whre one feel initially good as much sugar is sent into the system initialy leady to hyper activity ,but there results in between 2-3 hours a parabolic fall in the leading to a crash ( in healthy non diabetic individuals though). The dANDEGERS OF THE TWO IS MORE AGGRAVATED IN DIABETES THOUGH WHEN OTHER NUTRITIONAL considerations are not taken into consideration. This is basically being the gross calorific intake.
Moderation is the key word here however, to me, beer is better than soft drinks considering health implications at low volumes of intake.

1 Like

Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by hrhobi1(m): 10:55am On Nov 21, 2012
Take sprite whenever u lack energy , Take dogoyanro to ginger ur swagger and also to wash out all excess sugar and yamayama from ur systenm.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Elgaxton(m): 11:16am On Nov 21, 2012
Both of them are harmful...

Soft drinks -- diabetes

Beer ---- Liver wahala
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by rodeo0070(m): 11:35am On Nov 21, 2012
Both are harmful.
Moderation is the key word...
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by adconline(m): 11:36am On Nov 21, 2012
hardbody: Point of correction @ Y'll, neither beer nor softdrinks cause diabetes. Diabetes is hereditary, if your folks never had it, chances are you would not.

Bank to the question, both beer and softdrinks contain sugar, at what level i am not able to confirm, however, faced with dangers arising from both, i will rather live with beer because it makes teh heart of mortal man merry
Stop spewing rubbish. Who taught u biology?
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by babseg(m): 12:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
adconline:
Stop spewing rubbish. Who taught u biology?

He is right and he is not saying rubbish. If the pancreas stops producing insulin that's when u r diabetic. Sugar is not the cause of neither type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Abujafood: 12:31pm On Nov 21, 2012
1st prize: 5 hours professional photography training by Nick Cavanagh

2nd prize: N3000 airtime for 5 winners each

3rd Prize: N1000 airtime for 5 winners each

Send an original food photo from your mobile phone to info@abujafood.com or participate on twitter using the hash tag #AbujaFoodPhoto2012 and upload ur photos direct!

Good luck!
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 21, 2012
I take not less than five bottles of soft drinks (mostly Coke) in a day. And I haven't noticed any side effects yet.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by danikik7: 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
There's a scientific proof that beer is medicinal while soft drinks are poison.
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by danikik7: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2012
There's scientific proof that beer is medicinal but soft drinks are not in contrasts
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by AdeniyiA(m): 3:16pm On Nov 21, 2012
beer basterdise your health and soft drinks soften your systems against harms
Re: BEER OR SOFTDRINKS: Which Is More Harmful To One's Health? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 21, 2012
Anythng consumd xcess is unhealthy. Be it beer or soft drinks if consumd xcess cause harm 2 d system. undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Is Kilishi Made? (pics) / Lady Saw Wall Gecko In Her Zobo Drink After Drinking (Photos) / Guys Cook The N20K Python Killed Inside Canal At Ago Palace Yesterday (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.