Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,405 members, 7,819,436 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive (2348 Views)

10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Bloating: Foods And Drinks To Stay Away From Before And During Your Wedding / some Cancer Causing Foods You Probably Eat Every Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by webaplanet(m): 2:32pm On Nov 18, 2012
[b]In fact, the 21-year-old from Austin, Texas, must eat every 15 minutes to stay healthy.

Lizzie Velasquez has a rare and undiagnosed syndrome that prevents her from putting on weight

Miss Velasquez has a rare condition which prevents her from gaining weight even though she eats up to 60 small meals a day.
Despite consuming between 5,000 and 8,000 calories daily, the communications student, has never tipped over 4st 3lbs.

"I weigh myself regularly and if I gain even one pound I get really excited," said 5ft 2 ins Miss Velasquez, who wears size triple zero clothes.
"I eat every 15-20 minutes to keep my energy levels up.

"I eat small portions of crisps, sweets, chocolate, pizza, chicken, cake, doughnuts, ice cream, noodles and pop tarts all day long, so I get pretty upset when people accuse me of being anorexic."

She was born four weeks prematurely weighing just 2lb 10oz. Doctors found there was minimal amniotic fluid protecting her in the womb.

"They told us they had no idea how she could have survived," said Miss Velasquez's mother Rita, 45, a church secretary.[/b]

Doctors speculated Lizzie might have the genetic disorder De Barsy syndrome but soon ruled it out as it became clear she did not have learning difficulties.
"They kept on trying to figure out what was wrong with her but we treated her like any other child," said Mrs Velasquez, who charted her daughter's health in dozens of notebooks.

She was taken to see genetic experts but they still could not diagnose her.
Miss Velasquez's case has fascinated doctors all over the world and she is part of a genetic study run by Professor Abhimanyu Garg, MD, at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

Professor Garg and his team now believe Lizzie may have a form of Neonatal Progeroid Syndrome (NPS) which causes accelerated ageing, fat loss from the face and body, and tissue degeneration. People with PRS often have triangular and prematurely aged faces with a pointy nose.
He said: "I am aware of a small number of people that have similar conditions to Lizzie but each case is slightly different.

"We cannot predict what will happen to Lizzie in the future as the medical community are yet to document older people with NPS.
"However Lizzie is lucky to have healthy teeth, organs and bones so the outlook is good. We will continue to study her case and learn from her." Miss Velasquez has helped to write a book about her incredible experiences.
It is due to be released in September.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7858664/The-girl-who-must-eat-every-15-minutes-to-stay-alive.html

For more of such Odd News visit http://

1 Like

Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Slimcurtis1(m): 2:47pm On Nov 18, 2012
God help her.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2012
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by prettyduru: 4:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
Omg!! God is her strength
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Nov 18, 2012
This is the same girl that was awarded the ugliest girl in the world. I never knew she had eating problems.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva: This is the same girl that was awarded the ugliest girl in the world. I never knew she had eating problems.

I knew she looked familiar.

What's also strange is how almost most of her body looks frail. Her breasts don't look affected in that first picture.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 18, 2012
na this one wey lion go see Waka pass grin
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Afam4eva(m): 6:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
ogugua88:

I knew she looked familiar.

What's also strange is how almost most of her body looks frail. Her breasts don't look affected in that first picture.
I think she did some padding. That's what you guys call it right?
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva: I think she did some padding. That's what you guys call it right?

Lol. They do look bigger in the first picture. There could be padding in the top she's wearing, although it looks like a bathing suit top.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 18, 2012
Ewwww, but it would be nice to eat 60 meals a day
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva: This is the same girl that was awarded the ugliest girl in the world. I never knew she had eating problems.

Was she given the award or did she try to contest for it?

Sounds so mean.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 18, 2012
Oh! Poor lizzie, let them give her eba(garri) that can keep her for abt 5hrs.
All those chips and cheeses cant keep her more than 15mins.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by abiL(f): 7:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
Oh wow bless her. She looks like she might break with the slightest contact.

Her böobs and tummy seems to be unaffected-ish.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by Afam4eva(m): 8:01pm On Nov 18, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Was she given the award or did she try to contest for it?

Sounds so mean.
I'm not really good at using words. What do you call whensomeone is named the ugliest girl in the world by the guiness book of record.
Re: The Girl Who Must Eat Every 15 Minutes To Stay Alive by PrinceDudu(m): 9:08am On Nov 19, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Snails, Palm Wine, Ugu & More - Where To Buy Nigerian Food In London! / 1.2kg Smoked Cat Fish Available For Supply At A Cheap Price / Fried Fish Palm Oil Stew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.