Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,761 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc (7657 Views)

Bus Driver Uses Screw Driver As Car Key In Lagos (Photos) / The Overloaded Vehicle Seized In Bauchi By FRSC Officials Today / Two Die As Car Rams Into A Tree And Breaks To Pieces (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 18, 2012
Am planning to buy halogen bulb( white bulb) for my car headlamp but a friend of mine told me its not allowed, pls how true is this.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 18, 2012
victorkayode: Am planning to buy halogen bulb( white bulb) for my car headlamp but a friend of mine told me its not allowed, pls how true is this.

I think you need to be clear about what bulbs you're referring to. Halogen are the regular bulbs that come with modern, lower-end to midrange. They are not pure white, generally 55 - 60W. The very white type are HID (High Intensity Discharge) also referred to Xenon, that are available on modern medium to high-end cars.

So which are you referring to, and what car are you looking to install them into?
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Osama10(m): 3:46pm On Nov 18, 2012
I think he is referring to the type found on the infiniti and there is nothing wrong with that type.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2012
Siena:

I think you need to be clear about what bulbs you're referring to. Halogen are the regular bulbs that come with modern, lower-end to midrange. They are not pure white, generally 55 - 60W. The very white type are HID (High Intensity Discharge) also referred to Xenon, that are available on modern medium to high-end cars.

So which are you referring to, and what car are you looking to install them into?
I mean the white bulb (fluorescent colour)
Ford escape
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 18, 2012
victorkayode:
I mean the white bulb (fluorescent colour)
Ford escape

If you're referring to the very ice white light emitted by late-model medium to high-end cars, then that's HID. Not a direct replacement for the halogens your car's currently running.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2012
Siena:

If you're referring to the very ice white light emitted by late-model medium to high-end cars, then that's HID. Not a direct replacement for the halogens your car's currently running.
Am aware of that, am considering it because its brighter than the other type when driving at night. Is it allowed by FRSC or not
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2012
victorkayode:
Am aware of that, am considering it because its brighter than the other type when driving at night. Is it allowed by FRSC or not

I was going by your reference to Halogen.

As for local regulations regarding their fitment and use in Nigeria, I have no idea. Surely you could enquire directly from your local FRSC / Vehicle Inspection offices?
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 18, 2012
Siena:

I was going by your reference to Halogen.

As for local regulations regarding their fitment and use in Nigeria, I have no idea. Surely you could enquire directly from your local FRSC / Vehicle Inspection offices?
Sire educate me abt the HID. The advantages and disadvantages
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 18, 2012
victorkayode:
Sire educate me abt the HID. The advantages and disadvantages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by sultaan(m): 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2012
Your lamps have to be projector lamps or stick with the Sylvania Silverstar.

Only 2013 Escape uses HID right now, you will need a ballast to make it work just buying a bulb not make it work

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 18, 2012
sultaan: Your lamps have to be projector lamps or stick with the Sylvania Silverstar.

Not strictly true, Sultaan. There are two types of HID bulbs. D2S for projector headlamps, or D2R for reflector ones.

There are quite a number of cars with factory HID in reflector headlamps, the Audi S8 has projector halogen, projector Xenon and reflector Xenon Plus (Bi-Xenon).
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 18, 2012
Siena:

Not strictly true, Sultaan. There are two types of HID bulbs. D2S for projector headlamps, or D2R for reflector ones.

There are quite a number of cars with factory HID in reflector headlamps, the Audi S8 has projector halogen, projector Xenon and reflector Xenon Plus (Bi-Xenon).
the vehicle i want to use it on is FORD ESCAPE 2001 model. hope it will work?
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 18, 2012
victorkayode:
the vehicle i want to use it on is FORD ESCAPE 2001 model. hope it will work?

Yes, it'll work. You'll need to buy a D2R HID kit, with the base adapters for your particular car. Adapter will be H1, H4, H7 etc. It's not a plug-in job, wiring in the ballasts will need to be carried out ba a competent auto electrician, and they'll need to find a space to mount the ballasts.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

Yes, it'll work. You'll need to buy a D2R HID kit, with the base adapters for your particular car. Adapter will be H1, H4, H7 etc. It's not a plug-in job, wiring in the ballasts will need to be carried out ba a competent auto electrician, and they'll need to find a space to mount the ballasts.

TNX BOSS
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by sultaan(m): 12:56am On Nov 19, 2012
If you look at my head lamp I meant you can't stick the bulb from the lens into the reflector, the dispersal will be a road hazard to other users.
Even the S8 has both separated for same reason, you focus HID which is why the headlamp assembly is clear, but on reflected bulbs you'll see the grooves on the lamp see image from the S8 and the one attached above

What you'll need to get is this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06-07-Ford-Escape-Eagle-Eyes-CCFL-Halo-Projector-Headlights-Headlamps-/230880058108?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AEscape&hash=item35c1861afc&vxp=mtr

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 1:25am On Nov 19, 2012
sultaan: If you look at my head lamp I meant you can't stick the bulb from the lens into the reflector, the dispersal will be a road hazard to other users.
Even the S8 has both separated for same reason, you focus HID which is why the headlamp assembly is clear, but on reflected bulbs you'll see the grooves on the lamp see image from the S8 and the one attached above

I understand what you're saying, Sultaan. The point I'm making, is there are two kinds of HID bulb, for Projector headlamps, and for Reflector versions. The Projector HID (D2S) require a projector lens to form the beam pattern, and a clear polycarbonate outer lens which plays no part in focus. The Reflector HID (D2R) requires a prismatic outer lens (not clear) to form the beam pattern, without which there'll be no beam pattern, and "scatter."

The headlamp you've pictured above is for the Audi S8 D3 (pre-facelift) which is a projector unit, running HID D2S bulbs. The main beam with the prismatic lens is either HID D2R or Halogen.

Below is my Audi S8 D2 facelift, with Bi-Xenon, (dipped and main beam) reflector units running HID D2R bulbs. Note the prismatic inner lens. The clear outer lens plays no part in creating the beam pattern.

And for comparison, an Audi S8 D2 facelift with standard Xenon (dipped beam only). This is the projector version, running HID D2S bulbs. Note the clear outer lens:

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by nissparts(m): 8:39am On Nov 19, 2012
I've never seen HID bulbs made for reflectors
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 19, 2012
nissparts: I've never seen HID bulbs made for reflectors

That's good bro - you can now say you have, courtesy of Siena. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Trac: 5:33am On Nov 21, 2012
I hope it is understood that you do not see better with HID lights and the burners (D2R as stated) for reflective poly-ellipsoidal optical mediums designed for incandescent filaments is a downgrade, thus yielding less useable light. This is the disadvantage. The only advantage of the HID burner is the less power it draws for the output of light.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by nissparts(m): 9:07am On Nov 21, 2012
Trac: I hope it is understood that you do not see better with HID lights and the burners (D2R as stated) for reflective poly-ellipsoidal optical mediums designed for incandescent filaments is a downgrade, thus yielding less useable light. This is the disadvantage. The only advantage of the HID burner is the less power it draws for the output of light.

I concur. If the housing was not made for HID there's really no point. There are regular bulb upgrades that would be more effective output wise.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Prestonvic(m): 7:01am On Nov 22, 2012
Am using HID bulb in my 98 camry. What i‘ve experience is that it has only one filament - i can‘t change it from ‘high to low‘ bt its very bright.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 22, 2012
Prestonvic: Am using HID bulb in my 98 camry. What i‘ve experience is that it has only one filament - i can‘t change it from ‘high to low‘ bt its very bright.

Are you saying you have only dipped beam? Something's not right with your wiring, if that's the case. When you say "HID", are you referring to a HID kit with ballasts?
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Trac: 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
nissparts:

I concur. If the housing was not made for HID there's really no point. There are regular bulb upgrades that would be more effective output wise.

Bulb upgrades are as bad also. Using a higher rated bulb will eventually burn out and damage your harnesses. Besides, you will create more glare. The geometric path of the light has been restricted by the flutting on the lenses. So in actuality, you bean pattern hasn't change ( and it if changed, it is an undisciplined change) but you made the light spread brighter. Those doing the rally-upgrade for street-use are not improving anything because many laws of optics are broken.

A lot of people want to look cool and so opt to use these bulbs without understanding the fundamental principles behind them. These so-called kits too (conversion kits) are nothing short of fraud and manufacturers installing these so-called set of lights are doing it for commercial purposes also. HID lightings (be it genuinely manufactured by OEM or unintelligibly retrofitted) is not proven technology and the scientific community does not approve of it due to the severity of the nature of its duty.

Thank GOD for the Japanese and their wonderful contributions to technology but the laws of physics cannot be broken.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Trac: 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
Siena:

Are you saying you have only dipped beam? Something's not right with your wiring, if that's the case. When you say "HID", are you referring to a HID kit with ballasts?

I believe the Toyota in question has a separate optical medium that en-capsules the high and low beam. His low beam has been swapped for his new setup but the high probably hasn't. So, the incandescent candlepower has been overwhelmed by the intensity of his HID setup and it isn't noticeable from the driver's seat when he initiates the high beam.

This is probably what he is talking about (my guess).
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by nissparts(m): 8:07am On Nov 23, 2012
Trac:

Bulb upgrades are as bad also. Using a higher rated bulb will eventually burn out and damage your harnesses. Besides, you will create more glare. The geometric path of the light has been restricted by the flutting on the lenses. So in actuality, you bean pattern hasn't change ( and it if changed, it is an undisciplined change) but you made the light spread brighter. Those doing the rally-upgrade for street-use are not improving anything because many laws of optics are broken.

A lot of people want to look cool and so opt to use these bulbs without understanding the fundamental principles behind them. These so-called kits too (conversion kits) are nothing short of fraud and manufacturers installing these so-called set of lights are doing it for commercial purposes also. HID lightings (be it genuinely manufactured by OEM or unintelligibly retrofitted) is not proven technology and the scientific community does not approve of it due to the severity of the nature of its duty.

Thank GOD for the Japanese and their wonderful contributions to technology but the laws of physics cannot be broken.

Incorrect.
I am not referring to such bulbs.
An example is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J572/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
It is not a higher rated bulb but is an upgrade to the oem for Toyotas and Hondas.
No glare as well.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Trac: 8:32am On Nov 26, 2012
nissparts:

Incorrect.
I am not referring to such bulbs.
An example is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J572/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
It is not a higher rated bulb but is an upgrade to the oem for Toyotas and Hondas.
No glare as well.

If you can't see the abnormal and excessive glare in both pictures (according to the link you referred) and how rubbish the whole idea is, then I can't help you. As far as I am concerned, the illumination in the images is no better than a lantern of the same lumen. Higher rated bulbs do not last plus they'll eventually damage your headlight harness.

What is being sold underneath the link is nothing but sheer ignorance. You are only making your geometry brighter because of the ray (incident) but your refraction still remains the same (if not smeared and scattered all over due to a higher than permitted incident). Don't endorse this foolish practice.

Three days ago, a car that refused to go through the proper path and wait at the light to make a u-turn decided to cut corners and face in-coming traffic. I was pulling from the gas station and was wondering what two glowing objects were. When I had gotten a couple of feet closer, I discovered it was a car. They were headlights but the poly-ellip mediums were not designed for the HID's (a bunch of science I won't go into for this post). You wouldn't buy a car if the people who designed it from concept to production were not engineers. You look for the seal on the vehicle of choice and not a person's opinion. The engineers knew what they put together (headlight assembly) and it passed their own standards of quality before it was sold as a whole. If you don't understand what you are doing, it is best not to attempt it.

If you need better geometrical objects (lighting), you have to rip the whole assembly and modify everything; or at list, almost all. Lots of money will be spent and depending on the car, thousands of dollars (if everything has to be new).

I will explain later in science (Physics) on the next post.

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Trac: 8:57am On Nov 26, 2012
@ Everyone that is concerned:

Changing the burners is not a retrofit but bad practice. A retrofit from ground-up has to be done.

Polly ellipsoidal capsules (index of refraction or optical medium) designed for incandescent light cannot be used with HID bulbs because fundamentally, they aren’t made the same and do not subscribe to the design laws and standards of production. It does share certain laws of optics but the variables and approaches are different. Putting HID bulbs (burner) in a refractive index capsule (optical medium) designed for incandescent bulb will only make the light brighter but will not change the geometry of the cast light because the wavelength was optimized for the bulb (burner) with the specific candlepower intended. In other words, you have light at the source but a lot of it is unusable. With unaccounted lumens, light is smeared beyond its designed optical pattern (poor cutoffs, dark spots and cast-patches). The optics are different and do not share much in common. Both burners handle also follow Fermat’s principle differently. Fermat’s principle states that the optical path between two points through which the ray passes is an extremum. The wave length (which is incident) is now different and your refractive index changes.

The worst is reflective lamps that have been converted via burner replacement. It is kitchen-sink engineering. I am not saying that the use of HID burners cannot be used with reflective lamps but many optical considerations have to be made. When the proper retrofits has been done, the benefits are the wide-angle light patterns but it is sort of hybrid in design; Lexus did this. It’s a complete retrofit and not just a bulb replacement to emulate what Toyota came up with. The flutting (flutter) on the refractive lens will also have to be deleted or replaced with a clear lens.

The way the human eye operates has to be the root block fundamentally. The more bluish the light is, the less you see (because the human eye has difficulties processing blue at night). The closer to natural white (which is yellow), the more you see. This also explains why a car that cost almost $200,000 or more still comes with incandescent headlamps. This is so because you do not really see well with HID lights over a period of driving (extended). It is reinforced by science due to how the human eye perceives and also differentiates the index rendition of colours at night. Index renditioning of colours is the capability of a light source to replicate the colours of various object realistically using natural light as the benchmark. The higher the index, the better and closest to optimal (natural light). Incandescent lighting has approximate renditioning index 99 (around the range) and the HID’s have within 68 – 72 approximately. As far as optics is concerned and the laws of physics quantifies, this is poor and denotes that the human eye functions extremely better at night with incandescent lightings. The human eyes and the brain function totally different at night: the diameter of the pupils changes involuntarily. This involuntary reflex is called the pupillary light reflexes. Examine a cat’s eye during the day and at dawn. If the brain and the eyes aren't switching modes at night time, you will be at the optometrist (or optician) and more than likely unfit to drive at night.

Ray of light should not be considered as optics instead of objects of geometry. This is because geometric optics makes use of quantities that must be calculated from other variants (refractive index and wave length).

The laws of physics will not change; emotions will and personal opinions will.
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 26, 2012
Trac: The laws of physics will not change; emotions will and personal opinions will.

I agree 100%. I myself refuse to retrofit high-wattage bulbs to standard vehicle headlamps, with standard wiring. Most modern reflectors are plactic, and will distort if subjected to higher than normal heat levels (the average capsule wattage is 55/60W). I have replaced entire dash wiring harnesses, whereby the extra load has caused the conduit to melt. Sometimes, the driver's lucky, and suffers a burnt-out switch. Or unlucky enough to end us with an electrical fire.

Back to the HID debacle - I can only speak for the vehicles I specialise in - Audi. The projector headlamps used on the A4 B5/B6 are both "HID ready." Both carry the same part number, so work perfectly well with regular Halogen or Xenon capsules (HID). Maximum Kelvin value that gives the highest Lumen output is 4300k. I do have arguements with anyone who wishes to go for a Kelvin value of 6000k or higher. Higher is definitely NOT better. Higher heat range, less output in terms of useable Lumen. More blue / purple, so in my opinion, useless. I have seen owners with 12000k rated Xenon capsules, with actually produce less Lumen than a 60W Halogen. Useless.

The projector on the European (LHD) B5 Audi A4 B5 / B6 is quite different to that of the US (LHD) cars. The US cars have ridges on the projector lense, which results in a soft, slightly hazy beam pattern, unlike the crisp beam pattern from the non-ridged Euro projectors. The fitting of LHD Euro headlamps is a very common practice in the US, as a result. And I sell quite a lot of Audi A4 B5 / B6 units (e-codes) which pass inspection without any issues.

The reflector headlamps designed for Halogen and HID may differ in construction, and a different approach is required if a HID retrofit is required. It is essential D2R HID bulbs are used with reflector units, and self-levelling is fitted. The rotary, manual headlamp height adjuster is no good for HID-equipped cars. There's a bit more light "scatter" than with projector units, and with manual control, it's possible to dazzle oncoming traffic, more so if driving over bumpy roads, with no self-levelling.

Some modern vehicles have reflector headlamps that are 100% compatible with HID headlamps, as long as D2R bulbs are used. D2S bulbs are strictly for projector uses!

When I retro-fit, it's on one condition - I must fit self-levelling, AND headlamp washers. It costs more, but those are the only terms I would do a HID retro-fit with. I don't endorse the retro-fit of HID on main beam, as there is no safe way to replicate the changeover "shutter" that acts as the cut-off between high and low (dipped).
Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Trac: 10:41am On Nov 27, 2012
Siena:

I agree 100%. I myself refuse to retrofit high-wattage bulbs to standard vehicle headlamps, with standard wiring. Most modern reflectors are plactic, and will distort if subjected to higher than normal heat levels (the average capsule wattage is 55/60W). I have replaced entire dash wiring harnesses, whereby the extra load has caused the conduit to melt. Sometimes, the driver's lucky, and suffers a burnt-out switch. Or unlucky enough to end us with an electrical fire.

Back to the HID debacle - I can only speak for the vehicles I specialise in - Audi. The projector headlamps used on the A4 B5/B6 are both "HID ready." Both carry the same part number, so work perfectly well with regular Halogen or Xenon capsules (HID). Maximum Kelvin value that gives the highest Lumen output is 4300k. I do have arguements with anyone who wishes to go for a Kelvin value of 6000k or higher. Higher is definitely NOT better. Higher heat range, less output in terms of useable Lumen. More blue / purple, so in my opinion, useless. I have seen owners with 12000k rated Xenon capsules, with actually produce less Lumen than a 60W Halogen. Useless.

The projector on the European (LHD) B5 Audi A4 B5 / B6 is quite different to that of the US (LHD) cars. The US cars have ridges on the projector lense, which results in a soft, slightly hazy beam pattern, unlike the crisp beam pattern from the non-ridged Euro projectors. The fitting of LHD Euro headlamps is a very common practice in the US, as a result. And I sell quite a lot of Audi A4 B5 / B6 units (e-codes) which pass inspection without any issues.

The reflector headlamps designed for Halogen and HID may differ in construction, and a different approach is required if a HID retrofit is required. It is essential D2R HID bulbs are used with reflector units, and self-levelling is fitted. The rotary, manual headlamp height adjuster is no good for HID-equipped cars. There's a bit more light "scatter" than with projector units, and with manual control, it's possible to dazzle oncoming traffic, more so if driving over bumpy roads, with no self-levelling.

Some modern vehicles have reflector headlamps that are 100% compatible with HID headlamps, as long as D2R bulbs are used. D2S bulbs are strictly for projector uses!

When I retro-fit, it's on one condition - I must fit self-levelling, AND headlamp washers. It costs more, but those are the only terms I would do a HID retro-fit with. I don't endorse the retro-fit of HID on main beam, as there is no safe way to replicate the changeover "shutter" that acts as the cut-off between high and low (dipped).

4300K is the brightest on the curve/spectrum for it mimics day-time lighting and anything higher is nothing but the law-of-diminishing-return in place. -- but, it doesn’t appear as so for the purpose of night time driving or the use at night time (dim conditions). The bottle-neck or limiting factor is the human eye and how our body operates at night. Using the index renditioning of colours, the human eye differentiates all the colours best the yellower the light and the difference is clear. The bluer, the less because the eyes cannot really distinguish or process blue at night. In many cases, it is nothing but glare to the human eye. Examine the siren, the red doesn’t bother you but the blue disturbs your coordination and by instincts, you exercise caution. 4300K is blue because the needle goes towards the blue (biased compromise towards blue); away from the yellow. In optics, white light is yellow light (at least for humans). In some parts of Europe, there was even a special yellow used on the fog lamps and the search-beam/high beam. The higher lumens cannot be utilized by the human eye at night. You see objects a lot closer with HID’s than with incandescent setups. There is a lot unproven about HID’s and in many cases, nothing more than a marketing ploy. The farther distance the HID lamps cover cannot be utilized by the eye. This is because the immediate fore-ground has to be darkened to see further distance ahead: think of it, you don’t drive with your interior lights on. When the fore-ground is excessively darkened in surface perimeter, then the entire purpose of seeing further is defeated.

Yep! Useless is the buzz word for 6000K and up.

If you pay attention closely to the lamp configurations today, you will discover that some have incandescent in tandem with the HID’s and some have 2500K-3000K HID’s in tandem with their higher output HID’s. It is because visibility after extended hours of driving at night diminishes with HID’s.

It is difficult fooling the human body. It has its own biological rhythm and certain processes begin.

Euro-headlamp configurations are super but will not apply here. The broad spread with the cutoff is what I believe headlamp performance should be. However, Europe is unlike the United States were your signs, posts and symbols are illuminated. The cutoff is mediocre doesn't favour fore-ground illumination but every headlamp is designed to give glare at the top right to illuminate the right side of the road and the upper region (sky - to illuminate bridge signs and street labels).

I don't blame those replacing their lamps. The worst are those with the fancy headlights that produce excessive glare.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Trac: 8:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
@ Siena/Everyone

I did not cover the aspect of the eye logically because I never deeply researched it; hence I can't talk much on it to be considered useable information. I have scanned the concerned portion from three textbooks and I believe it is profitable for anyone that is interested and decides to opt out from being marketing-brainwashed to scientific facts. One of the references reflects on solid-state-lighting, so the figure might be a bit off but it is still extremely relevant to this thread. The state of the human eye at night that I was referring to as circadian discipline.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rrx2d5

You'll need the Office Suite to be able to open and read the files and 7zip or Winrar to extract the contents. Magnify the fonts if the fonts are garbled. It is encrypted and the pass is "Nairald" without the quotes.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
Now this is all very educating...Mr Siena and Trac I want to do a retrofit on my Honda Civic 2002 Ex (Japan assembled-that is bought brandnew in Nigeria). I intend retrofitting my OEM headlight with the following upgrade

Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini stage III kit D2S(http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=237).
With the following options

Bulbs: 3Five 5000k D2S
Ballast: Morimoto Ballast
Halo: None
Resealing Glue: Yes
Projector: LHD
Wire Harness Relay: H4/9003
Shroud:Mini Gattling Gun

My concern
1. 'mini Gattling Gun 2.0 shrouds' don't fit the D2S projector without modification (find pictures attached-note In all the pics, the H1 projector is on the left, D2S on the right). Please I'd appreciate some clearification as to the modification talked about and which projector will fit the mini gattling gun 2.0(because I understand the mini gattling gun 2.0 is smaller in size)

2. lo beam needs its own new harness you have to build. I was directed to this site for the wiring http://www.partsexpress.com
Problem is I cant seem to find a direct path to the lo-beam wire is located

Mr Siena I know you said somewhere before that you conversant with Audi lighting, I'm hoping you or Trac would have an idea on this. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Halogen Bulb(white) As Car Headlamps Allowed By Frsc by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 23, 2013
Good Morning Mr Siena or Mr Trac please respond. Or any NLander who has done a retrofit

(1) (2) (Reply)

... / Dear Lagosian, VIO Is Closer Than You Think! / At Traffic Lights, Stay In Gear, Neutral Or Park?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.