Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,108 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants (12622 Views)

Nigeria Signed Pact To Import Refined Oil Under Buhari's Regime (NY Times 1984) / Nigeria History with the "Organization Of Islamic Conference (oic)" / Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by hotfunmi(f): 8:18pm On Feb 06, 2008
Nigerian-born Umenyiora makes history with New York Giants
FOR Nigerian-born Osi Uwenyiora last Sunday Super Bowl win will be ethed in his memory forever. That was if he and colleagues in the New York giants tore the books form into pieces to win one of America most prestigious and biggest sporting event, the Super bowl.

Osi Umenyiora

After the victory, an elated Uwenyiora stopped to answer a question about his team, the Giants, the amazing underdogs who had just pulled off one of the greatest upsets in Super Bowl history. Uwenyiora and colleagues decided to talk some trash about the New England Patriots, the team he and the Giants vanquished by a 17-14 score.

"This was the death of a dynasty!" Pierce veteran linebacker yelled over the roaring Giants fans who would not, could not leave. "We wore all black, and we killed it."

In the wake of a stunning Super Bowl XLII victory that not too many people outside their locker room saw coming, the brash New Yorkers reminded everyone how unintimidated they were by their previously undefeated opponents.

Uwenyiora and his the Giants team mates left Arizona Monday the way they arrived in the desert a week earlier, strutting and chirping and acting like they owned the place - which, in retrospect, they did. It turns out the Giants' collective scoffing at the Patriots, a team that had won three Super Bowls in the previous six seasons and which brought an unprecedented 18-0 record into the game, was a conscious decision. It wasn't designed to tweak the Pats - in truth, the New York players could've cared less how their opponents felt about their antics. Rather, the Giants were making a statement to themselves: We're not scared of the NFL's bullies, and we welcome the opportunity to steal 'their' lunch money.

When the Giants' plane touched down in Phoenix six days before the game, they disembarked as a colour-coordinated unit that would have made Johnny Cash proud. They wore black, Pierce finally confirmed after the game, because "that's what you wear to a funeral" - and, in their minds, the Pats' dynasty was about to die.
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/feb/6/6.html
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by hotfunmi(f): 8:18pm On Feb 06, 2008
Naija guys representing!
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 06, 2008
hotfunmi:

Naija guys representing!

One in ten thousand. grin
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by hotfunmi(f): 9:26pm On Feb 06, 2008
1/1000?  I disagree. naija guys represent here all the time. Check out  Amobi Okoye,Emeka Okafor, Adewale Agbaje, Chet Anekwe, Chiwetel Ejofor and thousands more in the NFL,hollywood,IT,NBA etc. Check Amobi http://www.nfl.com/players/amobiokoye/profile?id=OKO541722.

Also check out football greats like[b] N.D. Kalu[/b] and Samkon Gado http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=1585&play_clip=Y
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by davidif: 11:03pm On Feb 06, 2008
what of pro bowler brendan ayobadejo
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by davidif: 11:04pm On Feb 06, 2008
Unfortunately, Osi was not at the new york parade for the giants because he was in hawaii preparing for the rose bowl.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by hotfunmi(f): 11:13pm On Feb 06, 2008
brendan ayobadejo
Yep, up Naija!
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by almondjoy(f): 11:43pm On Feb 06, 2008
Go Osi! Go Osi! Go Osi! kiss

Now there is ma heart throb right there! All 261 pounds of the bearrrrrrrrriful creature. Too bad he was born in London. Anyway, thank God for American food oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Make una no forget that "Gbaja BiAmilla" dude oooooooooooooooooh! grin
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by Kobojunkie: 11:53pm On Feb 06, 2008
LMAO!!!! That dude may have been tortured by fellow Nigerians when he was back in Nigeria. Now that he is in the limelight, Nigerians will definitely notice him, MY GosH!!!
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by hotfunmi(f): 12:06am On Feb 07, 2008
Amobi is another hot Nigerian. That brother is hot.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by hotfunmi(f): 12:14am On Feb 07, 2008
Go Osi! Go Osi! Go Osi!

Now there is ma heart throb right there! All 261 pounds of the bearrrrrrrrriful creature. Too bad he was born in London.  Anyway, thank God for American food oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Make una no forget that "Gbaja BiAmilla" dude oooooooooooooooooh!

More grease to his nyash. My only regret about him is that he's dating  Vicki secretos Selita Ebanks. Why brothers look out for non African women surprise me, very soon now you go hear say Amobi dey chase Pun Hum Sim for nyash.

Selita Ebanks
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by adconline(m): 3:34am On Feb 07, 2008
hotfunmi

Do you want to date him? Some of these guys just bear naija names with very different cultural orientations. Do you think that some of these guys can flow with Naija bred and buttered chics?
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by hotfunmi(f): 3:55am On Feb 07, 2008
Yes they can if they want to. Before you know it, this one go collect all his millions and  ruin his career. I don't know why men are slow learners, they only learn when you stick their head inside fire and they come out alive.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by adconline(m): 12:20am On Feb 11, 2008
how many top fashion icons of Nigerian/African origin date African men? Where is Oluchi Onweagba ? How about Regina Askia? How about Imam? leave matter sister
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by debosky(m): 12:27am On Feb 11, 2008
@ hotfunmi

collect all his millions? I don't think she's a pauper herself, working for VS. . .and who says naija women won't take his money and run either?

Like Adco said, he's Nigerian by parentage, but born in London, growing up in the US. . . he may not really be Nigerian culturally, there's no way you and I can say definitively that he can flow with naija born and bred chicks 'if he wants to'.

Let him date whomever makes him happy, there are 140m of us in the country and countless others elsewhere. . . love/compatibility is not based on your passport but on the two individuals.

Nice job by him though, I wonder if he's proud of his Nigerian heritage.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by almondjoy(f): 1:37am On Feb 11, 2008
hotfunmi:

More grease to his nyash. My only regret about him is that he's dating  Vicki secretos Selita Ebanks. Why brothers look out for non African women surprise me, very soon now you go hear say Amobi dey chase Pun Hum Sim for nyash.

Selita Ebanks

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn, that's alright.  As long as he is happy.  The babe is not bad at all. cheesy  They sure look good together. kiss  Let us be happy for them jare.  They are young and restless, having the greatest time of their lives before they end up like awon Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'neal them.----SPLITSVILLE!

hotfunmi:

Amobi is another hot Nigerian. That brother is hot.

Ah-ah?  hotfunmi are you going shopping or what? cheesy  This is another fine dude I must agree.  See? I wonder why the ones in Nigeria or Nairaland do not look like this? tongue  I think it has to do with malnutrition. cheesy

debosky:

@ hotfunmi

collect all his millions? I don't think she's a pauper herself, working for VS. . .and who says naija women won't take his money and run either?

Like Adco said, he's Nigerian by parentage, but born in London, growing up in the US. . . he may not really be Nigerian culturally, there's no way you and I can say definitively that he can flow with naija born and bred chicks 'if he wants to'.

Let him date whomever makes him happy, there are 140m of us in the country and countless others elsewhere. . . love/compatibility is not based on your passport but on the two individuals.

Nice job by him though, I wonder if he's proud of his Nigerian heritage.

There must be something in that London that is chasing them away. I knew it! cheesy No sane person can survive that place! grin

As for flowing with a naija born and bred babe? Lai lai! Which what skills? tongue Not to talk of all the so so shout when we dey shout from morning till night. tongue Do you know what kind of "decathlons" you need to master to keep these dudes happy? cool Please I am sure they are not interested in our "born again" skills! Please these dudes are Nigerians in names only. Do you see them on Nairaland? Probably have never been to Nigeria! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by debosky(m): 1:55am On Feb 11, 2008
almondjoy:

Ah-ah? hotfunmi are you going shopping or what? cheesy This is another fine dude I must agree. See? I wonder why the ones in Nigeria or Nairaland do not look like this? tongue I think it has to do with malnutrition. cheesy

There must be something in that London that is chasing them away. I knew it! cheesy No sane person can survive that place! grin

As for flowing with a naija born and bred babe? Lai lai! Which what skills? tongue Not to talk of all the so so shout when we dey shout from morning till night. tongue Do you know what kind of [b]"decathlons" you need to master to keep these dudes happy?[/b] cool Please I am sure they are not interested in our "born again" skills! Please these dudes are Nigerians in names only. Do you see them on Nairaland? Probably have never been to Nigeria! cheesy
grin grin grin

Malnutrition! cheesy kai almond you yab me and my brothers with one word just like that. . .are you saying akpu/eba/tuwo doesn't produce fine boys? undecided

Me I nor understand the decathlon you dey talk about oh. . .na race abi na something else?
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by almondjoy(f): 2:10am On Feb 11, 2008
debosky:

grin grin grin

Malnutrition! cheesy kai almond you yab me and my brothers with one word just like that. . .are you saying akpu/eba/tuwo doesn't produce fine boys? undecided

Me I nor understand the decathlon you dey talk about oh. . .na race abi na something else?

You must be in tip-top form and multi-f[b]arrrrse[/b]-tted! cheesy  Naija babes are not into those kinds of things you know.  Too busy preaching and spreading the gospel.  Like na wetin bobo Osi wan know be that? grin

Apku and all that stuff cannot do it arrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaalll.  Just take a look at the dudes in Nigeria or Nairaland for that marrrrrrrrrrrrer.  But onces they step into US--they just change into Hollywood stars! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by davidif: 4:51am On Feb 17, 2008
Almond joy, you are right na hunger and the frustration of our faces dey make our faces strong and twisted instead of fresh like those yanki boys.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by davidif: 4:55am On Feb 17, 2008
abeg hotfunmi, make una leave the guy alone jare, selita ebanks is beautiful, in fact i even wish she was mine even though she is lepa. grin grin
Why should he date a naija girl simply because he is of nigerian descent.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by davidif: 7:28am On Feb 17, 2008
man i just saw selita ebanks in two magazines, ummmmh, the things i would do to her. I go break am in half o. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by Sijien(m): 11:35am On Feb 17, 2008
9ja sef una too like to dey claim. d guy talk say im be 9ja?
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by almondjoy(f): 12:23pm On Feb 17, 2008
Sijien:

Nigeria sef una too like to dey claim. d guy talk say im be Nigeria?

Ashually, he is not a Nigerian per se.  We just wan claim am for that strong "igbo" name when im get.  He was born of a think one Nigerian parent--the dad.  That name "Umenyiora" cannot feature twice anywhere in the Eastern part of Nigeria like Okoro or Okolo them. He was born in London and definitely raised in UK/US.  Hearing him talk during a pre-super bowl game anaysis, showed there was nothing Nigerian about his accent arrrrrrrrrrrrralll.  A bet ma last farthing that this dude has never stepped into Africa not to talk of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by rookie(m): 11:01pm On Feb 18, 2008
Hearing him talk during a pre-super bowl game anaysis, showed there was nothing Nigerian about his accent arrrrrrrrrrrrralll.  A bet ma last farthing that this dude has never stepped into Africa not to talk of Nigeria.

-- So because YOU couldn't sense a Nigerian accent when you heard him means that he isn't?

See? I wonder why the ones in Nigeria or Nairaland do not look like this?

I think I give them both a run as far as money isn't a factor, lol
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by HotFunmi1(f): 11:17pm On Feb 18, 2008
Ashually, he is not a Nigerian per se. We just wan claim am for that strong "igbo" name when im get. He was born of a think one Nigerian parent--the dad. That name "Umenyiora" cannot feature twice anywhere in the Eastern part of Nigeria like Okoro or Okolo them. He was born in London and definitely raised in UK/US. Hearing him talk during a pre-super bowl game anaysis, showed there was nothing Nigerian about his accent arrrrrrrrrrrrralll. A bet ma last farthing that this dude has never stepped into Africa not to talk of Nigeria.

I agree, it's like Sade and Seal being Nigerians. Seal even claimed once that his dad is from the Carribean; He may be right but i think it has a lot to do with dissociating himself from Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by HotFunmi1(f): 11:23pm On Feb 18, 2008
By Rookie,
-- So because YOU couldn't sense a Nigerian accent when you heard him means that he isn't?

See? I wonder why the ones in Nigeria or Nairaland do not look like this?
I think I give them both a run as far as money isn't a factor, lol
It depends on the upbringing especially when the mother is not Nigerian. Few that grew up in the diaspora don't always relate unless they were groomed from childhood. The only star that grew up here that relates with his people is Charlotte's Emeka Okafor{ i was told that his association with Nigeria/Nigerians came from his constant exposure to his people by his parents in Houston and even at that, there will still be something different from others}
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by presido1: 12:59am On Feb 19, 2008
almondjoy:

Ashually, he is not a Nigerian per se. We just wan claim am for that strong "igbo" name when im get. He was born of a think one Nigerian parent--the dad. That name "Umenyiora" cannot feature twice anywhere in the Eastern part of Nigeria like Okoro or Okolo them. He was born in London and definitely raised in UK/US. Hearing him talk during a pre-super bowl game anaysis, showed there was nothing Nigerian about his accent arrrrrrrrrrrrralll. A bet ma last farthing that this dude has never stepped into Africa not to talk of Nigeria.
Do check before you write rubbish about nigeria and nigerians as if you are better than anybody leaving in Nigeria.
First saw the guy play in Wembley last year.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by BlackMamba(m): 3:30am On Feb 19, 2008
OSITADIMMA UMENYIORA

A few facts about Ositadimma Umenyiora. Both parents are full blooded Nigerians from Ogbunike in Anambra state. He was born in London on November 16, 1981. Moved back to Nigeria with his family at the age of six, and later relocated to the US in 1995 at the age of 14. He is from the Umenyiora royal family of Ogbunike, Anambra state and was bestowed with a honorary chief because of the 30 scholarships he endows each year for local schoolchildren.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/lee_jenkins/01/29/umenyoira0204/index.html
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by HotFunmi1(f): 5:05am On Feb 19, 2008
OSITADIMMA UMENYIORA

A few facts about Ositadimma Umenyiora. Both parents are full blooded Nigerians from Ogbunike in Anambra state. He was born in London on November 16, 1981. Moved back to Nigeria with his family at the age of six, and later relocated to the US in 1995 at the age of 14. He is from the Umenyiora royal family of Ogbunike, Anambra state and was bestowed with a honorary chief because of the 30 scholarships he endows each year for local schoolchildren.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/lee_jenkins/01/29/umenyoira0204/index.html
His 8 year stay in Naija may or may not have an impact on him. He moved to the US at 14 and is very capable of turning to akata before 20.
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by almondjoy(f): 9:10am On Feb 19, 2008
Hot.Funmi:

His 8 year stay in Naija may or may not have an impact on him. He moved to the US at 14 and is very capable of turning to akata before 20.

Infact which is it? shocked  The lies are getting too much like with everthing Nigerian!  First, he was born in London. Moved back to his village at age 6. Then he lived in Nigeria for 8 years.  Now he moved to US at age 14. undecided

Then how old is he with all this normadic movements? grin

Please "hotty", get us a comprehensive biography on this dude please.  I am getting suspicious. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by almondjoy(f): 9:16am On Feb 19, 2008
presido1:

Do check before you write rubbish about nigeria and nigerians as if you are better than anybody leaving in Nigeria.
First saw the guy play in Wembley last year.

Hmmmmmmm! As a marrrrrrrrrer of fact, I am. cool

Hungry peeps!

If you saw him play "ludo" in Wembley last year, how does that help us understand the true identity of this "normadic" young "igbo" boy desperately searching for a home? tongue
Re: Nigerian Osi Uwenyiora Makes History With NY Giants by almondjoy(f): 9:20am On Feb 19, 2008
Hot.Funmi:

It depends on the upbringing especially when the mother is not Nigerian. Few that grew up in the diaspora don't always relate unless they were groomed from childhood. The only star that grew up here that relates with his people is Charlotte's Emeka Okafor{ i was told that his association with Nigeria/Nigerians came from his constant exposure to his people by his parents in Houston and even at that, there will still be something different from others}

Thank you! The fact that he has Nigerian parents does not make him a Nigerian. Only his upbringing and lifestyle can determine that. As you can see, he ain't hangin' out with any large Ikebe'd Nigerian gals abi? cheesy Let us hear from the dude's mouth what he really is jare. I am sure Nigerian will not fall out of his lips. grin

Tigerwoods said he is a "Caublanasian"! cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Just tickled to death!

Caublanasian!

Osi bobo'm will be a "Ni-Uk-Us"! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Name 5 People That Should Not Be In Govt / Zamfara Killings Unacceptable, Threat To Our Democracy – Saraki / Ondo approves Amotekun Bill, Draft Copy Ready For Legislative Scrutiny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.