Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials (15007 Views)

D / Top Ceiling® Brand Of Pvc Ceiling Strips Available Nationwide / Cost Of Building Materials In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by princemedico: 2:07am On Nov 20, 2012
A UNIVERSITY don and a fellow of Nigerian Society of Engineers, NSE, Prof. Samuel Wara has noted that Poly Vinyl Chloride commonly known as PVC which is one of the common synthetic materials heavily used in building construction today, especially for interior finishes, is the most environmentally damaging plastic material ever used by home owners.

According to Wara who is a lecturer in the Department of Electronics Engineering at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State, the danger in the use of the materials is premised on the fact that the life cycle of PVC right from its production stage to its usage and finally disposal always results in one form of health and environmental hazard or the other.

He said in Nigeria, the use of PVC products such as PVC ceiling, PVC windows and doors as well as roofing materials made from PVC has become the order of the day, pointing out that this is as a result of failure of relevant regulatory agencies involved in the building construction industry to check and enforce the building regulatory code as related to various building materials applications.

Common practice

He added that it is now a common practice to see mansions, offices and other heavily occupied buildings being finished with PVC products.Prof Wara said the argument often put forward in support of PVC materials includes their appealing aesthetics, lower cost, fire retardant and lower weight among many others.

He however noted that ‘’while these appear tempting, the comment in January 1998 issue of the Environmental Business News is disturbing. This report stated that ‘while Greenpeace has been most vocal regarding environmental and health concerns with PVC, they are by no means the only voice out there expressing such concern’.

‘’Also, the position of the International Association of Fire Fighters in the U.S. does not favour the continuous use of PVC products as building materials. According to the Association, ‘due to its intrinsic hazards, we support effort to identify and use the alternative building materials that do not pose as much risk as PVC to fire fighters, building occupants and the communities’. It is imperative to critically examine the other side of PVC products in the light of its usage as building materials going by growing concerns and call for its abolition in virtually all of advanced countries’’, he said.

On the dangers inherent in the use of PVC-based materials, the fellow of NSE told Vanguard Homes & Property that PVC products which are rich in chlorine; reduces its natural fire retardant property considerably, explaining that in the event of fire incident in a building finished with PVC products, the materials become a double edge sword in the sense that its long smoulder period enhances release of irritating and poisonous hydrogen chloride gas.

He added that the occupants of such building might get caught up in fire due to late sign of visible fire outbreak.

‘’In addition, building materials made from PVC such as PVC windows, ceilings, doors as well as PVC vinyl flooring and roof release a chemical softener called DiEthyl-Hexyl Phathalate (DEHP), which has been associated with the increase in respiratory sensitisation. Also, some PVC products such as PVC mini-blinds have lead additives as active component. This lead additive was found to cause lead poisoning in people living in such buildings, especially in small children.

‘’Flexible PVC such as one used for ceilings and roofs causes harm to indoor air quality and encourages growth of hazardous moulds. Three separate epidemiological studies have found that human exposure to PVC in building interior such as roofs, ceilings, doors, windows, blinds etc causes significant elevated risk of asthma and other pulmonary conditions, including bronchial obstruction, wheezing and pneumonia, prolonged coughing and irritation of nasal passage and eyes.

‘’The hazards posed by dioxins, DEHP and vinyl chloride are largely unique to PVC products owing to the fact that it is the only major building material and the major plastic that contains chlorine or requires plasticizer or stabilizer. DEHP produced by PVC has been found to cause damage to reproductive system of sex resulting in partial or total infertility. Notable impairments include testicular damage, reduction in sperm count, suppressed ovulation, abnormal development and function of testes’,he stated.

On what can be done to check this, Prof. Wara said across the world, governments, companies, agencies and scientific organisations have come to a common position and recognised the hazards of PV, pointing out that virtually in most advanced countries, application and usage of PVC have either been eliminated or restricted for environmental and health reasons.

According to him, this is achieved by the introduction of PVC avoidance policies to safeguard the populace, while numerous local and regional governments have put in place specific policies to avoid use of PVC products in building construction in an attempt to checkmate the inherent dangers in PVC.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/expert-warns-on-dangers-of-pvc-building-materials/

3 Likes

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by stephenponti(m): 9:36am On Nov 20, 2012
Hmm
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by poyet(m): 9:38am On Nov 20, 2012
embarassedWhat other alternatives do we have, especially the pvc ceiling? These days all you are plastic stuff. What do we do? In fact I wana ceiling my house. What product do use?
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Super1759: 9:39am On Nov 20, 2012
so we should go back to the stone-age and continue using mud and clay

2 Likes

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by ossyme(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2012
What alternatives do you advise?
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by friedrice1: 9:41am On Nov 20, 2012
One mans research would now kill the Multi trillion dollar PVC building material industry,
just like they have done with asbestos. I see this as an attempt to cripple the Chinese Economy

1 Like

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by victorazy(m): 9:41am On Nov 20, 2012
Rubbish!!! I wonder what some ppl think. how many can they bring as the better one.
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Kslib(m): 9:42am On Nov 20, 2012
Hmmn,sadly people wont listen...
Me: **sees people using pvc to finish a new building** ##walks and meets them***

Me: oga,good morning oh!!

Pvc man: ehen,good morning boy......
Me: Oga why una dey use pvc for dis building nah??

Pvc man: shoor,wish kain queshion be dis one??
Me: you no know say dis pvc dey harmful to humans??

Pvc man: harmful ke,you see any of us with wound for body??
Me: haha,na your internal organs pvc dey affect not your external ??
Pvc man: ehen,how dat one take consine me?? Abi i look like internal organs to you..?? My name na Bayo i no be internal organ...

Me: Oga,pvc dey cause asthma and other diseases for body oh...
Pvc man: disease no dey kill african man..
Me: Na wa oh..
Pvc man: i don dey do this work for 35years,and my body dey kampe.. No shaking...
Me: ok oh.. Atleast i don tell you..bye bye
Pvc man: **laughs** see dis small pikin na wan tell me about pvc wey i don dey use build for people before dem born am.. Mtccccheew

12 Likes

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by stephenponti(m): 9:46am On Nov 20, 2012
stephenponti: Hmm
And u re first to comment grin
stephenponti: Hmm

And u re first to comment?
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Leopantro: 10:04am On Nov 20, 2012
I wonder if this is a contributing factor to the high rate of cancer of the prostrate seen in a lot of rich Nigerians ?
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by maclatunji: 10:10am On Nov 20, 2012
Leopantro: I wonder if this is a contributing factor to the high rate of cancer of the prostrate seen in a lot of rich Nigerians ?

Not improbable.
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by 2million1(m): 10:15am On Nov 20, 2012
ok...so which celine do u recommend?

1 Like

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Ameboperoo1: 10:45am On Nov 20, 2012
[/quote]
2 million: ok...so which celine do u recommend?
asbestos and pvc is very dangerous. Use bamboo and mud. No need of A/C self. U can also mix chopped grasses with mud. Or look 4 old sack and sow them together. Very good alternatives

1 Like

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by ochukoccna: 10:55am On Nov 20, 2012
PVC products can leak harmful additives during use and disposal,when they are burned or buried. Burning creates and releases more dioxins and compounds containing chlorine, which further contaminates the environment.
Laboratory studies in animals show that some of these chemicals are linked to cancer and kidney damage and may interfere with the reproductive system and its development.
Recent testing by several governments has also shown that children can ingest hazardous chemicals from PVC toys during use.
Governments and industry are taking action to eliminate PVC. Danish and Swedish governments are restricting PVC use, hundreds of communities worldwide are eliminating PVC in buildings and many companies such as Nike, IKEA and The Body Shop have committed to eliminating PVC from their products.
angry angry angry

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/toxics/polyvinyl-chloride/

fried-rice:
One mans research would now kill the Multi trillion dollar PVC building material industry,
just like they have done with asbestos. I see this as an attempt to cripple the Chinese Economy
No one is crippling nothing
Chinese conveniently look away from human rights violation, genocide, environmental safeguards etc as long as there's $$$$$ involved cool cool

1 Like

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by kulboy(m): 10:59am On Nov 20, 2012
princemedico:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/expert-warns-on-dangers-of-pvc-building-materials/
Prof S.T Wara..My x-dean...How art the mighty fallen...from Dean of Engineering to a Lecturer in a Federal university in ogun state grin...Karma is A B'itc'h...

2 Likes

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Pimples(m): 11:08am On Nov 20, 2012
In view of this, in the near future Some new diseases will Crop up in Nigeria.......hope there will be facilities to treat them then
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by bory09(m): 11:09am On Nov 20, 2012
Super1759: so we should go back to the stone-age and continue using mud and clay
if that serve you better as an alternative to pvc you are free. Moreover every successful research will sprang up a successful problem
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by aglomar: 11:09am On Nov 20, 2012
Terrifying news!
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 20, 2012
My house na PVC ceilin o, the roof na PVC, infact everything na PVC....so una se make i scatter the house or wetin, because na mirrions i take build am o.....se me se wahala.....if woman no kill u, drink/cigar go kill u, if e no kill u, old age/cancer go kill u, if e no kill u, PVC go kill u.....me self don taya

3 Likes

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Clemzy16(m): 11:21am On Nov 20, 2012
Meaning i should Renovate my house by changing the PVC to normal ceiling. Mcheeewwwwwwww....
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by salolo(m): 11:55am On Nov 20, 2012
what have they invented?
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Nezan(m): 12:14pm On Nov 20, 2012
kulboy:
Prof S.T Wara..My x-dean...How art the mighty fallen...from Dean of Engineering to a Lecturer in a Federal university in ogun state grin...Karma is A B'itc'h...

SMH @ this comment .... the man is first of all a lecturer and has risen to the highest pinacle of being a professor. A dean is just a tenure appointment which is not supposed to be for life. FYI, the man is eminently qualified to be appointed a vice-chancellor in any Nigerian university. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by princemedico: 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2012
Pimples: In view of this, in the near future Some new diseases will Crop up in Nigeria.......hope there will be facilities to treat them then

Stop referring to Nigeria alone, PVC is not used in Nigeria alone.
For those looking for PVC alternatives for the following;
Roofing and Building Membranes
Insulation
Exteriors; Siding, Cladding, Profiles &
Coatings
Windows and Doors
Interiors; flooring
Interiors: walls & decoration
Electrical Equipment
Pipelines and Accessories. Follow this link, archive.greenpeace.org/toxics/pvcdatabase/productalt.html
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by TalkingBird: 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2012
kulboy:

The office of the Dean of any Faculty is not held by a professor for as long as. It is usually rotational,Held for number of years , say 4 years and then another Professor is appointed just as the office of the HOD.

1 Like

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by jimjones: 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2012
poyet: embarassedWhat other alternatives do we have, especially the pvc ceiling? These days all you are plastic stuff. What do we do? In fact I wana ceiling my house. What product do use?

lol.........you "wana ceiling your house" eh

1 Like

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Coldfaya(m): 1:20pm On Nov 20, 2012
tiniyata: My house na PVC ceilin o, the roof na PVC, infact everything na PVC....so una se make i scatter the house or wetin, because na mirrions i take build am o.....se me se wahala.....if woman no kill u, drink/cigar go kill u, if e no kill u, old age/cancer go kill u, if e no kill u, PVC go kill u.....me self don taya

Hahaha.....Somthing must killi man.

Almost every technological innovation generates an almost equal amont of problems. Unfortunately dis is too late as PVC has flooded d mkt
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by cj1080(m): 1:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
The alternatives are expensive. e.g a friend of mine didn't want to use PVC pipers in his house due to leakage(I always wonder why when one puts up PVC pipes and pressure pumps water through them they always tend to leaky".)and health reasons. So he decide to go for multilayer pipes, Expensive but hey they got the job done.
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by Daluuzor(m): 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2012
kulboy:

shooo! Wat diff does it make? He s a lecturer in a fed, and not state uni, besides, do u expect him to b dean for d rest of his life? Once a VC is done wit his tenure, he s stil a lecturer, so also is d dean!

2 Likes

Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by komengo: 3:55pm On Nov 20, 2012
[/color][color=#006600]For your Durabale and 100% Asbestor free roofing and ceiling products Only @ Nigerite,Eminite and Eternit can solve ur problem. www.nigeritelimited.com
Re: Expert Warns On Dangers Of PVC Building Materials by TalkingBird: 4:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
So what happens to our underground water freely drank by all via borehole water. The land fills that are filled with PVC's. What next?
I think we should invest in research to make PVC safe.

(1) (2) (Reply)

LASEMA Demolishes Partly Collapsed Building In Lagos (Photos) / 1 Acre Of Farm Land For Sale / Various Miniflat, 2/3 Bedroom Flat & Duplex For Urgent Letting In Surulere Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.