Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Am Being Underpaid As A Web Developer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Am Being Underpaid As A Web Developer (1079 Views)

Become A Web Developer/blogger After Attending This One Day Wordpress Bootcamp / ICSL Is Hiring - "WEB DEVELOPER" / Your Advice:i Want To Be A Web Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Am Being Underpaid As A Web Developer by udswagz: 6:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
Am a student currently in my finals, i got this job as a web-devloper for this small organinization, i usually work from home most times and it takes over
70% of my time.
note that i really love my job because i do enjoy programming a lot and the job kind of gave me
an opportunity to practice what am studying in school (computer science) and also the experience.
But the thing is that i am being paid 15k per month, at first i didnt mind i just wanted to jump
in and start coding, but as time went on i single handedly developed their website which was very
complex had but an admin section to manage users and also handle purchases and invoices. Also
the system is like an affiliate kind of website where i have to keep track of every users upline and multilevels.
I also developed various tools which is being used till now. After about six months of hardwork and
serious stress issues, i asked for a raise to just 25k and an additional 5k for internet subsricption I want to know if i was right to ? cos
the initial salary couldnt even keep me online.
also note that i manage the site while in school which can be very tedious and am being paid 10k then.
Am really very good with PHP,Mysql,Jquery,Ajax,Javascript,HTML5,CSS3 and i hand code every web app i have ever made
i really like the organization but the pay is tool low.

thanks for your advice.
Re: Am Being Underpaid As A Web Developer by Mustay(m): 8:31pm On Nov 21, 2012
I can feel your plight. I was once into web design at some point and it's weird how your work can be underappreciated.
Leaving sentiments aside, based on what you've written, this job is currently a source of cash flow to you every month so I'd suggest you still keep it.

Secondly, if it's taking so much of your time you don't have, I think that has got to do with you, not your client/employer - it's dependent on how much you manage your time between work

1 Like

Re: Am Being Underpaid As A Web Developer by bizzle2: 2:14pm On Nov 24, 2012
dont undersell urself bro, for a decent website u deserve a number of times more. most small organisations take advanatage of students and interns. how much is an ordinay cleaner paid for crying out loud, for a menial job with no skill requirements.their job affords u experience and room for personal development while it puts change in ur pocket...yeah dts granted but it also limits the time u have for ur education, family and d pursuit of better oppurtunities. if the ur work is as good as u say, trust me dat org will be willing to pay more if u insist, where on earth do u get a good web developer for 15k? smh

(1) (Reply)

10 Tips For A More Successful Small Scale Business / Scrum Framework Training Kit / Eaztech Soil Test Service In Lagos And Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.