Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Office Relationships.... - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Office Relationships.... (1094 Views)

Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Office Relationships.... by Doctorflaky(f): 3:59pm On Nov 22, 2012
Story deleted
Re: Office Relationships.... by Mustay(m): 4:56pm On Nov 22, 2012
I think this is what you wanted to write:

Doctor flaky: My colleague WHO IS my company's CEO's fiancee IS about to get married TO HIM.

She told me that she was ADVISED to resign from the company as the CEO's decisions will be sentimental.

Although I disagree with that cos I know she's is a good girl but I want to read what the forum's advice IS on this.

Thanks

My sister, this is what they call CONFLICT OF INTEREST. To you or the CEO, all actions and decisions would probably be taken with the best/honest intentions but this may not appear so to a 3rd party. Therefore, best management practices suggest that such situations are safeguarded against or avoided.

It is the policy of some companies to disallow this situation whilst some do allow it but OP, you failed to tell us what position she occupies as this determines how material such a relationship could be in affecting the company's activities. In finance, the lady is called a RELATED PARTY cool

My personal opinion will stem from best CG practices - if she cannot be transferred or reassigned in such a way that the decisions of the CEO would not be influenced by her, she should resign. Realistically, there are less chances she won't be more of an insider since her hubby is gonna be the CEO - the power of a woman will strongly persist cool

Vote: She goes.

1 Like

Re: Office Relationships.... by yamakuza: 6:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
i think it depends on how strategic her role is or can be.

if its a one man business, the ceo might have seen a future business partner in her.

in that case, she'll need a promotion asap.

so, please tell us, what role does she currently play in this company and does the ceo own the company??
Re: Office Relationships.... by Doctorflaky(f): 8:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
The ceo owns d coy, she's d admin manager but report 2d general manager, but usually have issues with wit d GM because GM felt some of his unfavourable is influenced by my collegue. From my own look of tins, d ceo is calm nd always fair with his judgment. So my collegue felt because of GM she'll resign.
Re: Office Relationships.... by Mustay(m): 8:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
^^^Berra

Sooner or later, that 'calmess' will be tested with love nwatiti so it's best she goes.
Re: Office Relationships.... by yamakuza: 8:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
^ why cant the GM go?

the ceo might have seen some unique skills/qualities in her, and might see her as someone that can grow the company with him.

maybe he even trusts her more than the GM, and feels she can have his back when he's not around.

OP, what is the basis of their love? is it professional or simply amorous?

ie, does she contribute actively/extra to the growth of the company, or is she just a fine girl that does her work and nothing more?

[s]btw, r u MD, PhD or some other kind of doctor?[/s]
Re: Office Relationships.... by Mustay(m): 5:34am On Nov 23, 2012
yamakuza: ^ why cant the GM go?

the ceo might have seen some unique skills/qualities in her, and might see her as someone that can grow the company with him.

[s]btw, r u MD, PhD or some other kind of doctor?[/s]

Oga Yamakuza (today, your name looks like Yamaha cool ) dem say "love is blind", when in love, it's difficult to open your eyes at times. Some 'qualities' abi

I don't really understand what she means by

"but usually have issues with wit d GM because GM felt some of his unfavourable is influenced by my collegue"
but from what I can decode, it shows what I mentioned.

Will any employee report the 'bad' activities of the woman to the CEO? Shey you wan put sand sand for them garri?

She mentioned what I wrote earlier - INFLUENCED. There are more than 100 ways she can INFLUENCE her husband's decisions at home even if he had an earlier stand.

Why can't the GM also grow the company with him tongue
Re: Office Relationships.... by Doctorflaky(f): 8:42am On Nov 23, 2012
My collegue said he discussed it with her fiance (ceo) and he said that will be the last thing he expect of her. That He's not the time for to go, that right now he needs her in the business, but my friend is kind of running from issue going on with the superior. I also think the problem of the GM is that my friend presence is hindering him from doing some things he's not suppose to.
Re: Office Relationships.... by Mustay(m): 8:54am On Nov 23, 2012
Hindering him from doing what he's not supposed to or what he's supposed to

Let them clear their issues out on a roundtable cos it appears there are 'grudges' they hold against themselves which they are pretending is not there.

The way you've described this coy looks like a SME to me. It shouldn't be too serious but if 2 batteries cannot work in a remote control, change it or fix them properly into the reomote.
Re: Office Relationships.... by Doctorflaky(f): 9:14am On Nov 23, 2012
The business is SME with 20 permanent staffs and about 15 freelance staffs. The GM is kind of dubious and my friend presence wont allow him to do more and the ones he has done is always know to the CEO, thinking is my friend behind it, whereas some staff do right complain letter to the ceo too.
Re: Office Relationships.... by Mustay(m): 10:42am On Nov 23, 2012
Okkkkkk. I see - she serves as the 'checks and balances' in the organisation.
Re: Office Relationships.... by yamakuza: 12:27pm On Nov 23, 2012
Mustay: Okkkkkk. I see - she serves as the 'checks and balances' in the organisation.

yes oh ! dat kain thing!

imagine a young businessman who has been changing sales girls every month for 2 years.

then he gets one that comes early to work, does her work well, and returns excess cash!

would he leave her open to the competition, or marry her and make her a permanent part of the business?

the many wonders/travails of SMEs/one man businesses!

thats not even considering that a lot of young ceos get involved with/marry their PAs/Secretaries.

Too many hours spent together, maybe.

all in all, good staff are hard to find, so i wont blame a boss that intends to make any he finds permanent, even if its by marriage!

(an example might not even be too far from us here grin )

lol at the way u keep missing the name
Re: Office Relationships.... by Mustay(m): 5:57pm On Nov 23, 2012
The circumstance is peculiar - na SME. Make person close one eye analyse am! cool

1 Like

Re: Office Relationships.... by Doctorflaky(f): 7:54pm On Nov 23, 2012
so wot are u guys advicing her 2do?
Re: Office Relationships.... by yamakuza: 8:29pm On Nov 23, 2012
Doctor flaky: so wot are u guys advicing her 2do?

your ceo wants her to stay, i think she should stay and i think i've also managed to win Mustay's vote too.

whats your vote? whats her vote?

who advised her to leave before, btw? you or the GM?
Re: Office Relationships.... by Mustay(m): 4:43am On Nov 24, 2012
In this circumstance and considering the size of the coy (I initially thought it was a big coy), my vote is

She goes not! cool

Nevertheless, I have my reservations on how things can change when they get married especially with the CEO's future decisions. We all start 'upright' but 'familiarity' can tame our doggedness which is what the marriage will provide.

Short term - She goes not

Long term - Let the time come!

1 Like

Re: Office Relationships.... by Doctorflaky(f): 10:20am On Nov 26, 2012
Thanks everybody.... I really appreciate your time your gave me to advice.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Recruitment Shortlist Slot,assistance And Help.  .  08135887110 / I Need A Sincere Career Advise / Nigerian Army Shortlisted Candidates 2014 (72rri Zonal Screening)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.