Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! (509 Views)

Exposed! See The Only Religion That God Accepts / What Exactly Is It About Traditional Religion That We (YOU) Fear? / Why Do Nigerians Practice A Religion That Was Brought By Arab Swordsmen Forcibly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! by joseph1832(m): 5:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
You'll quite agree with me that football (soccer) is now becoming something more loved and admired than most religion in the world! The origin of football dates as far back as 225BC, but the most interesting thing about this game is the amount of passion and emotion people ascribe to it. Some people might even say football is a religion of it own, before I go further let me take a sneak peak and give some simple definition of religion. The oxford advance learners dictionary gives us three simple definition of what religion is. First is the belief in the existence of God or gods, Second is a particular system of faith and worship based on religious beliefs and Third is a controlling influence on ones life; a thing that one feels very strongly about.

Based on these definitions you'll quite agree that like the famous religion of the world that is, Christianity and Islam, Football quite satisfies the three definition above. Let us look at this critically, the first definition spoke of a belief in God or gods, I believe Football has a God attached to it, how often have you heard football fans say the God of football will never abandon their clubs in times of need! The second spoke of a particular system of faith and worship... Football also meet this criteria, owing to the fact that millions of fans troop to the stadium (synagogue or church if you like) to (worship) watch their stars (pastors or reverend) dazzle them with amazing tactics. See it this way, God of Football, players (pastors), Fans (followers), Stadium (church) and Referee (ushers), and the third spoke of something an individual feel strongly about... This is my strongest point, many people have strong feelings attached to football particularly to their clubs or country to the extent that they are willing to wound, maim and kill for it, something that is very present in our religion today.

I need to emphasize strongly and passionately that what religion (christianity and islam) have failed to do, Football have done it times without number that is bringing both christians and muslims as well as hindus and buddhist under one roof to co exist peacefully. Football is the only religion that brings people of different tribe, ethnic and religious background together under one roof!.

Like every other religion, football also has its fair share of violence! Violence in football goes as far back as the origin of the game or better still religion itself! We've seen and heard about many attacks being carried out by football bigots or fans.

Whatever the level of violence or hooliganism associated to football is, you'll have to agree with me that "football is more than a game" its a positive source of income and it unites even the greatest of enemies!.
Re: Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! by Lasinoh: 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
Sports in general!
Too bad it can't replace the dreadful concept of religion.
BIGOTS would die off and the world depleted! cheesy
Re: Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! by pastormustwacc: 12:32am On Nov 23, 2012
When a football of 69 cm diameter containing nothing but air becomes your God. Well, that is much easier to bear for many people, compared to a God that can only be seen by his works.
Re: Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! by Nobody: 1:34am On Nov 23, 2012
Front page abeg!
Re: Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! by Nobody: 6:24am On Nov 23, 2012
pastormustwacc: When a football of 69 cm diameter containing nothing but air becomes your God. Well, that is much easier to bear for many people, compared to a God that can only be seen by his works.
Pastornogowacc for here at all..

If football=religion, chelsea fans=mfm members.. spiritual agberos.. grin grin kiss
arsenal fans= olumba grin
man utd fans= catholic church grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Football A Religion That Unites Like No Other! by pastormustwacc: 7:45am On Nov 23, 2012
Here is what will happen:
The jet-flying pastors will turn to managers/coaches, while the church workers go turn to referees and lines-men, the congregation = spectators.

(1) (Reply)

Be Diligent / The Truth You've All Been Waiting For / Is It Right To Use The Bible When Taking Oath Of Office Or In Court?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.