Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,362 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home (4157 Views)

Nuclear Power As An Alternative Source Of Energy / How To Set Up A Power Inverter. / 2 Months Intensive Power Inverter Training With Solar Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by cybelink(m): 6:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
The use of alternative,electricity from battery is becoming increasingly important,given rising energy costs and the need to slow down the effects of climate change on our earth reducing the Green House effect.This alternative may seem far off from everyday use by house owners but the truth is that they are in our reach. According to my research i find out that Scientists have developed a new kind of deep-storage battery that when coupled with on-site power generation mechanisms like wind and solar electricity,could power an entire home for only pennies per kilowatt hour. A power inverter, or inverter, is an electrical power converter that changes direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC); the converted AC can be at any required voltage and frequency with the use of appropriate transformers, switching, and control circuits.

Solid-state inverters have no moving parts and are used in a wide range of applications, from small switching power supplies in computers, to large electric utility high-voltage direct current applications that transport bulk power. Inverters are commonly used to supply AC power from DC sources such as solar panels or batteries.

The inverter performs the opposite function of a rectifier. The electrical inverter is a high-power electronic oscillator. It is so named because early mechanical AC to DC converters were made to work in reverse, and thus were "inverted", to convert DC to AC. There are several types of power inverters but i will only like to mention few;the Resonant inverter,Solar inverter,Stand-alone inverter,CCFL[Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp] inverter. An inverter converts the DC electricity from sources such as batteries, solar panels, or fuel cells to AC electricity. The electricity can be at any required voltage; in particular it can operate AC equipment designed for mains operation, or rectified to produce DC at any desired voltage.

Applications ; The following are the applications of the power inverter. [1].DC Power source utilization:Micro-inverters convert direct current from individual solar panels into alternating current for the electric grid. They are grid tie designs by default. [2].Induction heating:Inverters convert low frequency main AC power to higher frequency for use in induction heating. To do this, AC power is first rectified to provide DC power. The inverter then changes the DC power to high frequency AC power. [3].Electric vehicle drives:Adjustable speed motor control inverters are currently used to power the traction motors in some electric and diesel-electric rail vehicles as well as some battery electric vehicles and hybrid electric highway vehicles such as the Toyota Prius, BYD e6 and Fisker Karma. Various improvements in inverter technology are being developed specifically for electric vehicle applications. In vehicles with regenerative braking, the inverter also takes power from the motor (now acting as a generator) and stores it in the batteries.[ 4].Air conditioning:An inverter air conditioner uses a variable-frequency drive to control the speed of the motor and thus the compressor.And many more. The design In one simple inverter circuit, DC power is connected to a transformer through the centre tap of the primary winding. A switch is rapidly switched back and forth to allow current to flow back to the DC source following two alternate paths through one end of the primary winding and then the other. The alternation of the direction of current in the primary winding of the transformer produces alternating current (AC) in the secondary circuit.

The electromechanical version of the switching device includes two stationary contacts and a spring supported moving contact. The spring holds the movable contact against one of the stationary contacts and an electromagnet pulls the movable contact to the opposite stationary contact. The current in the electromagnet is interrupted by the action of the switch so that the switch continually switches rapidly back and forth. This type of electromechanical inverter switch, called a vibrator or buzzer, was once used in vacuum tube automobile radios. A similar mechanism has been used in door bells, buzzers and tattoo guns.

As they became available with adequate power ratings, transistors and various other types of semiconductor switches have been incorporated into inverter circuit designs. Certain ratings, especially for large systems (many kilowatts) use thyristors (SCR). SCRs provide large power handling capability in a semiconductor device, and can readily be controlled over a variable firing range. The power inverter is a very good,and reliable source of power for the home.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 5:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
And I heard that mordern inverters are less bulky than the traditional inverters which use transformers to step up the voltage to 220v. Pls if u kw how to make the mordern inverters which require less transformer, post ur reply.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by brightk(m): 8:08pm On Nov 27, 2012
everything that has advantage also have a disadvantage.. you may have noticed that transformer-less circuit spoils quickly....check out your home appliances,even chargers.

Even the best companies that designs inverters make use of a transformer
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 9:03am On Nov 28, 2012
brightk: everything that has advantage also have a disadvantage.. you may have noticed that transformer-less circuit spoils quickly....check out your home appliances,even chargers.

Even the best companies that designs inverters make use of a transformer
come on. the chargers u say that burn are mainly china cheap chargers. Does ur original charger burn? No. It is the same thing with these inverters. Let's say, the 1kva inverter is quite small, while the transformer based ikva one looks like that of a stabilizer. And let me tell u, it's more efficient than the transformer based inverter.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by cybelink(m): 6:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
D Don1:

come on. the chargers u say that burn are mainly china cheap chargers. Does ur original charger burn? No. It is the same thing with these inverters. Let's say, the 1kva inverter is quite small, while the transformer based ikva one looks like that of a stabilizer. And let me tell u, it's more efficient than the transformer based inverter.
Thanks alot that's true.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by cybelink(m): 6:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
D Don1:

Thank for adding that.I really appreciate that friend.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by realpower32(m): 12:12am On Dec 13, 2012
cybelink: Thank for adding that.I really appreciate that friend.
As much i will like to agree to the efficiency of transformer-less inverter; am afraid the power handling of the transformer less can not be compared to the transformer type .looking at the various types of transformer technology on inverters, they are categorized based on the winding design. low freq to high freq. and you may also want to consider torodial transformer, which as better performance to heavy duty low freq wind transformer. the transformer-less is best for computers and basic electronics, but will most likely fail when handling inductive loads, A/C and fridges e.t.c
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by brightk(m): 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2013
D Don1:

u dont ve clue of what u are saying....the inverter dons still use transformer for the inverter design---sukam
if u design little project kits on electronics u wouldnt be talking this way... try n find out..
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 8:33pm On Jan 06, 2013
In other countries; like usa, you cannot find this transformer based inverters there. The transformer based inverters is mainly for hobbyist, it is still working, but it is an old technology. People still make the transformer based inverters because it is easier to make, not that they will prefer it to the other inverter. Do u know what makes the ups heavy? It is the transformer. Locally made inverters are still the transformer based inverters.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by brightk(m): 10:40pm On Jan 06, 2013
D Don1: In other countries; like usa, you cannot find this transformer based inverters there. The transformer based inverters is mainly for hobbyist, it is still working, but it is an old technology. People still make the transformer based inverters because it is easier to make, not that they will prefer it to the other inverter. Do u know what makes the ups heavy? It is the transformer. Locally made inverters are still the transformer based inverters.

if transformer are no longer useful how come even the top makers still implement them in ups designs.. the truth is u cannot underestimate the power of a transformer.like i said everything dat has advantage has disadvantages.. transformerless inverter doesnt last compared 2 its rival.. d only tin i si in dem is portability but am after quality and durability. chikina
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by realpower32(m): 9:17pm On Jan 07, 2013
i cant agree less with you. please "Don" verify your claims. inverter in USA using transformer-less technology, why is outback, Victron Inverter and Sunny Boy still in high demand in the state. am sure the inverter you claim to be transformer less are Solar Inverter used on grid tie solar solutions.
brightk:

if transformer are no longer useful how come even the top makers still implement them in ups designs.. the truth is u cannot underestimate the power of a transformer.like i said everything dat has advantage has disadvantages.. transformer-less inverter doesnt last compared 2 its rival.. d only tin i si in dem is portability but am after quality and durability. chikina

1 Like

Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2013
I was trying to summarize a fact, maybe that is why u people didn't understand me. The transformer less inverters have some form of transformers in them, but they are not as bulky as the ones found in transformer based inverters. The process of getting ac voltage from the transformer less inverters is different from the process which the transformer based inverters uses to get the ac. One major difference is that, the transformer based inverters uses a transformer to produce that ac current and therefore, the bigger the trnsformer, the more power it can produce.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 11:49pm On Jan 07, 2013
realpower32:
As much i will like to agree to the efficiency of transformer-less inverter; am afraid the power handling of the transformer less can not be compared to the transformer type .looking at the various types of transformer technology on inverters, they are categorized based on the winding design. low freq to high freq. and you may also want to consider torodial transformer, which as better performance to heavy duty low freq wind transformer. the transformer-less is best for computers and basic electronics, but will most likely fail when handling inductive loads, A/C and fridges e.t.c
It's true that toroidal transformers are more efficient than normal transformers, but they are quite expensive, that is why u can't find them anywhere.
You said that transformer less inverters are best for computers, then why do u find large transformers in the ups
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by realpower32(m): 12:23am On Jan 08, 2013
to handle peak load
D Don1:
It's true that toroidal transformers are more efficient than normal transformers, but they are quite expensive, that is why u can't find them anywhere.
You said that transformer less inverters are best for computers, then why do u find large transformers in the ups
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 10:39am On Jan 08, 2013
realpower32: to handle peak load
What do u mean by to handle peak load. Explain yourself
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 11:02am On Jan 08, 2013
I hv seen that u people don't kw the workings of an inverter. Only the engineers in this forum kw that what I'm saying is the truth.
And because u use an inverter doesn't mean that u kw the workings of that inverter, so I urge u people to shut up.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 11:04am On Jan 08, 2013
Or rather, those people who make inverters kw what I'm saying is the truth.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by brightk(m): 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2013
D Don1: I hv seen that u people don't kw the workings of an inverter. Only the engineers in this forum kw that what I'm saying is the truth.
And because u use an inverter doesn't mean that u kw the workings of that inverter, so I urge u people to shut up.

y are u behaving like someone from the village. we are here 2 share ideas and not 2 insult others.. Anyway villages get grade....
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by realpower32(m): 1:56am On Jan 10, 2013
Hi Don your response is very discouraging and insulting. i will only advice you seek more knowledge to be educated about this very topic. for the record, am an engineer in elect/elect and a certified installer and service engineer for Xantrex energy U.S.A now Schneider Electric US. for present day Toroidal transformer inverter, Check Victron Energy Inverters Holland, they use toroidal transformer.And what you refer to as transformer-less, are "Choked transformer", with tiny coils,very light weighted and cheap.like supermaster inverter or Waeco Germany inverter.
Be Good!!
D Don1: Or rather, those people who make inverters kw what I'm saying is the truth.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 7:01pm On Jan 10, 2013
realpower32:
Alright I'm sorry. I only became angry when cybelink said that the transformer less will fail when handling inductive loads, a/c and fridges, when he was trying to say that the modified sine wave produced by the inverter, either transformer-based or transformer-less, will not carry inductive loads e.t.c. favourably, but will not fail. So u c the error. That made me know that he was trying to research and did not understand what he was trying to research before pasting.
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by DDon11: 7:09pm On Jan 10, 2013
I'm sorry, I mean realpower
Re: The Power Inverter,an Alternative Energy Source That Can Power The Home by hopeo7(m): 10:22pm On Jan 16, 2013
I sell all kinds of solar energy, contact me if u are interested.

(1) (Reply)

This Could Wipe Out Life On Earth And Transform Earth To A Mars-Like Planet. / 20 china b2b Marketplaces Recommended By Google / How To Recover Your Lost 2go Password For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.