Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,752 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:37 PM

Exchange Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Exchange Help (801 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exchange Help by mmonwuba(m): 12:05pm On Feb 08, 2008
please i have a little challenge in the office and i have a deadline to meet. here it is. Some users left my organisationa and i deleted their user names from active directory and wipped their mailboxes. but when users visit their address book, the still see those names there. when they try to send a mail to these deleted recipients, the mail bounces (of course). what do i do to clear these names and addresses from the address books (update) automatically.
Re: Exchange Help by Maleeq(m): 10:43pm On Feb 09, 2008
When you delete users in the Active Directory and their associated mail boxes, their mail addresses would sill be displayed in the global address book until you restart the information store

To restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service:

- On the Start menu, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
- In the Results pane, find the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.
- Right-click [/b]the service, and then click [b]Restart.

Those accounts wont be listed on the address books anymore.

Note:
When deleting users inside Active Directory, the associated mailboxes in Exchange are kept for a period of time. This time is called a "retention period." By default, the retention period is 30 days. This is so that in the case that this user's mail has to be retrieved, it will be available for a period of time. This is one reason why it deleted accounts still appear in the address books for referencing. If the retention period is set zero, everything about that account would be erased instantly.

Hope this helps!
Re: Exchange Help by mmonwuba(m): 10:47am On Feb 11, 2008
thanks Maleq. I guess the 30 days is the solution to the problem because this exchange server is restarted every weekend,
thanks anyway. Was helpful.
Re: Exchange Help by Maleeq(m): 12:19pm On Feb 11, 2008
Thats strange, you restart the systems and it still shows up.
One more thing, are sure the accounts are deleted and not just disabled? If they are deleted, then navigate to:

Exchange System Manager -> "Your Exchange server (exchange)" -> Recipients -> All Global address Lists -> Default Global Address list

Right click and pick properties. In there, the filter rulse tells you everyone it will pickup in your GAL. Run the preview and make sure the name is NOT in there.

If the name is not in the preview but is showing up on Outlook clients make sure that CACHED EXCHANGE MODE IS NOT SELECTED if they are Outlook 2003 clients or higher. Sometimes with Cached mode on it will pull up a name though it has been deleted out.

If the cache mode is enabled, then re-synchronize the cache immediately. This should fix those "stagnant" addresses.

If the cached mode is not selected, then you could just run the "mailbox cleanup" on the exchange server and then "Purge" those users accounts. This should get it out of the GAL. . .I think!!! grin

Later!
Re: Exchange Help by mmonwuba(m): 1:34pm On Feb 11, 2008
who is more grateful to you than i am. i really appreciate your time. Thanks also to NAIRALAND.
Re: Exchange Help by Maleeq(m): 1:40pm On Feb 11, 2008
No wahala!!
Did it work out for you?
Re: Exchange Help by mmonwuba(m): 3:39pm On Feb 11, 2008
im not on seat in the office but once it is done, trust to see ur praises here. thanks once again
Re: Exchange Help by mmonwuba(m): 4:31pm On Feb 12, 2008
bros having your phone no would not be a bad idea, what u think. mine is 017330538 or 08024981478
Re: Exchange Help by Maleeq(m): 4:52pm On Feb 12, 2008
No problems!
I'll hit you up on IM with it.

Cheers!
Re: Exchange Help by mmonwuba(m): 6:01pm On Feb 14, 2008
chairman i never see the im. How far?
Re: Exchange Help by Maleeq(m): 9:12pm On Feb 14, 2008
I sent an invitation to your gmail account. Seems you dont use google talk much. Plus, when I called your mobile, you wouldn't pick up!
Re: Exchange Help by mmonwuba(m): 12:37pm On Feb 18, 2008
im sorry bro i dont really ue google talk. i wouldn't mind you give me a call again.
08024981478 or 017330538

(1) (Reply)

Hotspot Shield And Ssn ,ein? / Sm Bus Controller And Vga Controller /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.