Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US (11241 Views)

Texas couple brings Nigerian nanny to America — then turns her into a slave / Alarming Confession Of Nanny Who Kidnapped Orekoya Children 16/04/15 (video) / The Face Of The Nanny Who Kidnapped The Orekoya Kids (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by ghettodreamz(m): 9:57am On Nov 24, 2012
topsyking:
Are you ok...from fry pan to fire...

I'm OK.. Don't take it too bad, embrace it as it's just a piece of advice.. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 24, 2012
topsyking: FOoolish!!! FoOolish!!!
When did nigeria start to repatriate its citizen to USA...I don't get it..china will never do that....can america repatriate its citizen to nigeria if he fled nigeria to USA...am begining to av a second thought about my citizenship of nigeria..time will tell...soon....
My bro...u can see the difference will surely be clear...I feel wat u thinking.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 24, 2012
obadiah777: IN NIGERIA SHE WILL BE LYNCHED AND BURNT ALIVE. ANYWAY SHE SHOULD HOLD TIGHT. AMERICA WILL SOON BE DESTROYED IN WW3 AND ALL THE JAILS WILL BE OPENED AND THE CELL-MATES RELEASED.
HMmmm keep dreaming lol
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by autchman144(m): 10:45am On Nov 24, 2012
Tamita: She is not Nigerian...she is an American!
Ya, like Venus & Serena Williams abi? Naija!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 24, 2012
ochallo: well she may not be Nigerian, Tata is an indian name, except she married an indian

She's Nigerian alright. There's nowhere she's ever denied being Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 24, 2012
Personally, I think she deserved the 80-year sentence. What she did was not an accident, she was pretty damd stup|d. Gambling with the lives of people's children, people who trusted her enough to entrust their children to her care! I wouldn't even leave my children alone at home for two minutes, whilst I ran across the road to get a quart of milk. My children are my life.

For those saying she deserves leniency, it was a mistake on her part, it could happen to anyone etc. Think again. It happened to Tata, and resulted in a child fatality. Please put yourself in the position of the parents of the dead child, and think how you'd feel, how you'd react.

She deserves every year of her sentence, and more.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by chrixemeka: 10:57am On Nov 24, 2012
80 yrs Dats total wickedness
Dia must βε̲̣ an atom of racism in dis verdict...
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 24, 2012
Siena: Personally, I think she deserved the 80-year sentence. What she did was not an accident, she was pretty damd stup|d. Gambling with the lives of people's children, people who trusted her enough to entrust their children to her care! I wouldn't even leave my children alone at home for two minutes, whilst I ran across the road to get a quart of milk. My children are my life.

For those saying she deserves leniency, it was a mistake on her part, it could happen to anyone etc. Think again. It happened to Tata, and resulted in a child fatality. Please put yourself in the position of the parents of the dead child, and think how you'd feel, how you'd react.

She deserves every year of her sentence, and more.
PERSONALLY I WOULD BEG TO DIFFER. HOW OLD WAS SHE WHEN THIS HAPPENED ? MAYBE 18 OR 19 ? YOU KNOW WHO I BLAME ? THE PARENTS. BECAUSE SHE IS A YOUNG GIRL AND CAME CHEAP ( SHE WAS PROBABLY CHARGING THEM ONLY $3 AN HOUR EACH ). WHY WOULD YOU ENTRUST YOUR CHILD TO SOMEONE WHO JUST BARELY LEFT THEIR TEENAGE YEARS ? OBVIOUSLY THE CHILD WAS NOT THAT VALUABLE TO YOU. THE CHEAP PRICE MATTERED MORE. IF A BABYSITTER IS LESS THAN 40 YEARS OLD I WOULD NOT LEAVE MY KID WITH. THE PARENTS ARE TO BLAME. THE YOUNG GIRL WAS JUST DOING WHAT YOUNG CARELESS TEENAGERS DO. UNFORTUNATELY FOR HER, HER OWN MISTAKE RESULTED IN A FATALITY. YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE DO WHAT SHE DID ON A DAILY BASIS AND GET AWAY WITH IT WITH NO FATALITY ? LEAVE YA KID IN THE HOUSE AND QUICKLY RUSH TO THE STORE TO GET SOMETHING ? MILLIONS DO IT WORLDWIDE EVERYDAY. 80 YEARS IS TOO HARSH. IF THAT WAS A WHITE GIRL SHE WOULD GET 3 YEARS PROBATION FOR INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER OR SOMETHING

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by aglomar: 11:09am On Nov 24, 2012
Well deserved!
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Ejine(m): 11:15am On Nov 24, 2012
According to the Houston Chronicle, though, she'll be eligible for parole in 30 years if she maintains a good behaviour.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 24, 2012
obadiah777: PERSONALLY I WOULD BEG TO DIFFER. HOW OLD WAS SHE WHEN THIS HAPPENED ? MAYBE 18 OR 19 ? YOU KNOW WHO I BLAME ? THE PARENTS. BECAUSE SHE IS A YOUNG GIRL AND CAME CHEAP ( SHE WAS PROBABLY CHARGING THEM ONLY $3 AN HOUR EACH ). WHY WOULD YOU ENTRUST YOUR CHILD TO SOMEONE WHO JUST BARELY LEFT THEIR TEENAGE YEARS ? OBVIOUSLY THE CHILD WAS NOT THAT VALUABLE TO YOU. THE CHEAP PRICE MATTERED MORE. IF A BABYSITTER IS LESS THAN 40 YEARS OLD I WOULD NOT LEAVE MY KID WITH. THE PARENTS ARE TO BLAME. THE YOUNG GIRL WAS JUST DOING WHAT YOUNG CARELESS TEENAGERS DO. UNFORTUNATELY FOR HER, HER OWN MISTAKE RESULTED IN A FATALITY. YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE DO WHAT SHE DID ON A DAILY BASIS AND GET AWAY WITH IT WITH NO FATALITY ? LEAVE YA KID IN THE HOUSE AND QUICKLY RUSH TO THE STORE TO GET SOMETHING ? MILLIONS DO IT WORLDWIDE EVERYDAY. 80 YEARS IS TOO HARSH. IF THAT WAS A WHITE GIRL SHE WOULD GET 3 YEARS PROBATION FOR INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER OR SOMETHING

Lol...you blame the parents, because they chose to trust a certified nanny with their children. Incredible! Now let's say this same woman wasn't patronised, because at the age of 18, she was deemed "too young", you guys would be calling those that failed to patronise racist. Forget about the color of her skin - she was criminally negligent, and the sentence she got is more than justified. Playing the race card when things don't go your way is a game that's been over played. The sooner you learn to accept responsibility, without making excuses, the better off you'll be.

Note that a childminder can receive acredition at the age of 16, so I don't see where your arguement is heading. If she were not Nigerian, you'd be singing a different tune. Now she's Nigerian, you're defending her, and making a lame attempt to heap the blame on the parents who used her services! It doesn't matter if this woman was charging $3 per hour, or $25. You can't place a value on the lives of humans, be they adults or minors. That just doesn't wash. Your assumption that she was "probably charging $3 per hour" is irrelevant. If you cared for children even free of charge, you will still be held culpable if you leave them home alone, and they perish in a fire!

And for reference, I would not leave my kids home alone, not even for two minutes! If I have to dash across the road to pick something from the grocery stores, I will take my kids. They are my life, my responsibility, not an inconvenience.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 24, 2012
Siena:

Lol...you blame the parents, because they chose to trust a certified nanny with their children. Incredible! Now let's say this same woman wasn't patronised, because at the age of 18, she was deemed "too young", you guys would be calling those that failed to patronise racist. Forget about the color of her skin - she was criminally negligent, and the sentence she got is more than justified. Playing the race card when things don't go your way is a game that's been over played. The sooner you learn to accept responsibility, without making excuses, the better off you'll be.

Note that a childminder can receive acredition at the age of 16, so I don't see where your arguement is heading. If she were not Nigerian, you'd be singing a different tune. Now she's Nigerian, you're defending her, and making a lame attempt to heap the blame on the parents who used her services! It doesn't matter if this woman was charging $3 per hour, or $25. You can't place a value on the lives of humans, be they adults or minors. That just doesn't wash. Your assumption that she was "probably charging $3 per hour" is irrelevant. If you cared for children even free of charge, you will still be held culpable if you leave them home alone, and they perish in a fire!

And for reference, I would not leave my kids home alone, not even for two minutes! If I have to dash across the road to pick something from the grocery stores, I will take my kids. They are my life, my responsibility, not an inconvenience.
DUNNO BOUT YOU BRAH BUT I AINT LEAVING MY KID WITH A TEENAGE BABYSITTER. I DONT CARE IF SHE HAS A PHD IN BABYSITTING.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 24, 2012
obadiah777: DUNNO BOUT YOU BRAH BUT I AINT LEAVING MY KID WITH A TEENAGE BABYSITTER. I DONT CARE IF SHE HAS A PHD IN BABYSITTING.

Thankfully, Tata's sentence was not based upon her age, but upon her criminal negligence. To be a registered business, one needs to think like an adult, and tried as one in a court of law if one breaks the laws of the land.. She couldn't be tried as a minor, because she wasn't one.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 24, 2012
Siena:

Thankfully, Tata's sentence was not based upon her age, but upon her criminal negligence. To be a registered business, one needs to think like an adult, and tried as one in a court of law if she breaks the laws of the land.. She couldn't be tried as a minor, because she wasn't one.
SOME WOULD SAY WOMEN DONT REACH ADULTHOOD MENTALLY TILL THE AGE OF 45 grin grin grin I AM SURE YOU HAVE BEEN FORTUNATE / UNFORTUNATE TO DATE WOMEN WHO ARE TATAS AGE. ANYWAY IT IS WHAT IT IS. SHE GOTTA PLAY THE HAND SHE WAS DEALT.

AND TO BALANCE IT OUT SO IT DONT SOUND SEXIST. MEN DONT REACH ADULTHOOD MENTALLY TILL THE AGE OF 70. MEN ONLY REACH ADULTHOOD WHEN THEIR GBOLA CANT STAND ANYMORE grin grin
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by chreldb(m): 11:38am On Nov 24, 2012
[quote ]

Tata fled to Nigeria after the fire but was captured there after about a month and returned to the U.S. in March 2011. She has remained jailed since then. [/quote]

What an irony! people flee from Nigeria and escape to the US and are captured and deported back. But here the reverse is the case. Nawa o
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 24, 2012
chreld_b:

What an irony! people flee from Nigeria and escape to the US and are captured and deported back. But here the reverse is the case. Nawa o
YEAH SHE A HIGHLY RECRUITED VIP
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by calcal: 11:53am On Nov 24, 2012
$50000 * 80 years = 4000000 not too bad.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Originalsly: 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2012
She been doing this for a while....every rope has an end. Causing harm or death to little children is one of the worst crimes you can commit in the US...and Texas loves to dish out the death penalty especially to Blacks. I think she got 80 years cause she fled the country to avoid prosecution. She was born in the US therefore she is a US citizen first and the others are just add ons. Nigeria would send her back. If she were born in Nigeria but also had US citizenship....was living in Nigeria..committed a crime and fled to the US....the US would revoke her US citizenship and send her back to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Frostyzone(m): 1:09pm On Nov 24, 2012
obadiah777: YUP YOU RIGHT. AND I CAN SEE THE SIGNS ALREADY. I DONT THINK THAT COUNTRY HAS MORE THAN 2 YEARS AT MOST BEFORE THE DESTRUCTION. WE ARE AT THE END
dasparrow:

Yep! well said. Anyone who is conversant with the bible (God's word) knows that mystery Babylon (America) will be destroyed in 1 hour when the time comes. It says so in the book of Daniel.
Deluded Abokis, your puzzling hatred for anything America will not make you any smarter or saner that you bunch are obviously lacking.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Frostyzone(m): 1:13pm On Nov 24, 2012
chreld_b:

Such is life.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by sunnshyn(f): 1:24pm On Nov 24, 2012
I really do not care where she's from..this is totally the height of "nonchalant-inefficiency"(pardon my use of words)! I mean, how she can put a pan on the stove and then go shopping knowing she's got a day care beats me! It really wasn't her first time...but definitely her last!

Now what happens to the dead child? What explanation would she give to the parents of the injured kids who trusted their wards to her?

Well deserved punishment IMO! I'm sure other silly mushroom daycares with rotten facilities will learn and shut down completely!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Chylo(m): 1:31pm On Nov 24, 2012
Originalsly: She been doing this for a while....every rope has an end. Causing harm or death to little children is one of the worst crimes you can commit in the US...and Texas loves to dish out the death penalty especially to Blacks. I think she got 80 years cause she fled the country to avoid prosecution. She was born in the US therefore she is a US citizen first and the others are just add ons. Nigeria would send her back. If she were born in Nigeria but also had US citizenship....was living in Nigeria..committed a crime and fled to the US....the US would revoke her US citizenship and send her back to Nigeria.

I agree with the highlighted
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2012
sunnshyn: I really do not care where she's from..this is totally the height of "nonchalant-inefficiency"(pardon my use of words)! I mean, how she can put a pan on the stove and then go shopping knowing she's got a day care beats me! It really wasn't her first time...but definitely her last!

Now what happens to the dead child? What explanation would she give to the parents of the injured kids who trusted their wards to her?

Well deserved punishment IMO! I'm sure other silly mushroom daycares with rotten facilities will learn and shut down completely!!

I agree 100%.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Goldieluks: 2:00pm On Nov 24, 2012
This is not different from life imprisonment.
I feel for those kids and their mothers.
sad sad
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by chinosxl(m): 2:34pm On Nov 24, 2012
She did wrong but that 80yrs is harsh. she will be out after serving maybe 25 to 30yrs, worse case 40yrs. Why is op's article saying she was caught, i thought she gave her self up due to family pressure. To clear some confusion, she had to be trialed in U.S because the crime/offense was committed in the U.S and she's also a U.S citizen so, Nigeria did not betray her.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Horus(m): 3:05pm On Nov 24, 2012
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 24, 2012
Oyinbo and deir wickedness,,,dat 80 years is just a camouflage,,,dey will grant her clemency after about 20-30 years,,,but dey should keep appealing,,,,,I MEAN !!THE CRIME WAS NOT INTENTIONAL AFTERALL .
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Gee001: 3:56pm On Nov 24, 2012
Negligence. She was negligent. She had a duty of care 2 tkcr of those kids bt breached it. On d oda hand, she made d crime looked lyk it ws intentional cos she fled 2 Nigeria. Ordinarily wot she wud hv done ws 2 turn herself ova 2d police. She'd hv reported d case herself instead of fleeing, dat way, her sentence wud hv bin reduced. Running away 4rm ur problems wudnt help u bt facing ur problems wud.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 24, 2012
jehovahnoni: Oyinbo and deir wickedness,,,dat 80 years is just a camouflage,,,dey will grant her clemency after about 20-30 years,,,but dey should keep appealing,,,,,I MEAN !!THE CRIME WAS NOT INTENTIONAL AFTERALL .

She was criminally negligent! You say her crime was not intentional, I disagree. A crime is either intentional, mistake or coercion. In her case, she left a pan of oil on the cooker - fact. She left children entrusted to her care home alone - fact. She fled to Nigeria in an attempt to escape justice - fact. What wasn't intentional there? Tell that to the parents of the dead and injured children!

The only reason you're being emotional here, is because she's Nigerian! if she was from Ghana, Somalia, Kenya, Liberia etc, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. There's nothing wicked about the "Oyinbo" as you put it. It's called justice. At least she has the option of parole in anything between 25 - 40 years. We all know if this had happened in Nigeria, she would have been lynched, most likely beaten to a stupor, and finished off with a tyre necklace and gasoline. Intentional, or non-intentional don't matter in Nigeria, once the crowd get their way, the rest is history.

Besides, when are Nigerians going to stop blaming the Caucaseans for their misfortunes?
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 24, 2012
Gee001: Negligence. She was negligent. She had a duty of care 2 tkcr of those kids bt breached it. On d oda hand, she made d crime looked lyk it ws intentional cos she fled 2 Nigeria. Ordinarily wot she wud hv done ws 2 turn herself ova 2d police. She'd hv reported d case herself instead of fleeing, dat way, her sentence wud hv bin reduced. Running away 4rm ur problems wudnt help u bt facing ur problems wud.

Exactly.
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by salafiyy: 8:28pm On Nov 24, 2012
BLOOD MONEY SHOULD BE COLLECTED FROM HER INSTEAD
Re: Nigerian Nanny Jailed 80 Years In The US by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 24, 2012
salafiyy: BLOOD MONEY SHOULD BE COLLECTED FROM HER INSTEAD

And what would that money be used for? Remember, this is in the United States, not Nigeria, where money triumphs over justice.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gunmen Abduct Eighteen Traders In Niger State / Gunmen Snatch Channels TV Bus In Benin, Beat & Tie Up Driver / SARS Arrest Premium Times Reporter Samuel Ogundipe, Bank Account Frozen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.