Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,738 members, 7,831,350 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

My Nigeria Experience - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Nigeria Experience (7885 Views)

My Lagos, My Nigeria – A Young Man’s First Experience Of Lagos / US Health Authorities Learn From Nigeria’s Experience Containing Ebola / Oil: How Ghana Should Learn From Nigeria's Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Afam4eva(m): 11:20am On Nov 28, 2012
bigfat: Nigeria a developing and CAN NEVER BE COMPARED TO DEVELOPED COUNTRIES ...
Someone got shot in the eye for making this kind of comment in China. is that an excuse of the blatant corruption that exists in Nigeria? is that the reason why people will be given less than what they bargained for? It's because of people like you that this country is the way it is.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by Afam4eva(m): 11:23am On Nov 28, 2012
deleted
Re: My Nigeria Experience by emiye(m): 11:38am On Nov 28, 2012
^^^ Of recent,anytime i am reading comments and i see statements like " shot in the eye" " shot in the nose" " shot in the head" " shot in the leg" , I see your moniker. Is there something else upstaging you?
Re: My Nigeria Experience by PBundles(m): 11:50am On Nov 28, 2012
Da Mayor:

Lol! I like your post. Actually, only "Primary 1 pikin's" see criticism as insult.
For what its worth, Nigeria has benefited from my foreign exchange remittance :-).

My Mayor and THIS is the MAIN problem that Nigeria faces. NO ACCOUNTABILITY. It is because of your frank and honest post that I even thought of responding. There is a disease that is destroying that country and can be seen in every level, rich/poor, educated/uneducated, north/south. I have labelled it DTMTT (DONT TELL ME THE TRUTH). This disease is one which if you see what is wrong DONT SAY IT: WHY, you will be labelled a rebel, non Nigerian, not patriot, an insulter, enemy of progress, how dare you, do you know who I am, you must be Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa and the list goes on.

And its because of this disease the leaders are able to do what they do, because this disease allows for no accountability. Hence the Police/Army can not be told they are wrong, politicians cant be told they are wrong, actually who can be told they are wrong without it not being seen as an insult. Due to this, as you rightfully pointed out, we have become use to accepting bronze (not even silver forget about gold).

Here is question I want every Nigerian to ask and answer honestly: Would you mind if your President stole some money or had corrupt cronies BUT at least helped the people/masses? I can guarantee you that 99% of Nigerians will see NO PROBLEM WITH THIS! And there lies the issue. Men, would you marry a woman that said I will do all you ask and be the perfect wife BUT every now and then I will sleep outside? Got you thinking know, the grey matter is warm right.

We have gotten to the point that we will accept the bare minimum. Shame on us, because if you ask this of an American or European they will say irrevocably without blinking HELL NO WAY! That is his job. Are we not surprised that most want to enter government, NOT to improve the situation but because it can lead to personal success. Nigeria leads the list of buyers of private jets mainly by Governors, while their indigenes can barely survive let alone ask for safety and freedom. We have senators that make more than the damn president of the United States for God Sake.

For those that say well MR BIG MOUTH what are YOU doing to change it, I say I cant do ANYTHING and nor can any other person UNTIL the tide changes. Until the masses declare enough is enough. There will be a revolution take my word. Whether it will be bloody or not time will tell. I may not even live to witness it though I pray I do, what a sight that will be. That Nigerians STOP thinking they are not valuable enough to deserve the up most best and DEMAND such from that great country.

3 Likes

Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 12:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
PBundles:

My Mayor and THIS is the MAIN problem that Nigeria faces. NO ACCOUNTABILITY. It is because of your frank and honest post that I even thought of responding. There is a disease that is destroying that country and can be seen in every level, rich/poor, educated/uneducated, north/south. I have labelled it DTMTT (DONT TELL ME THE TRUTH). This disease is one which if you see what is wrong DONT SAY IT: WHY, you will be labelled a rebel, non Nigerian, not patriot, an insulter, enemy of progress, how dare you, do you know who I am, you must be Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa and the list goes on.

And its because of this disease the leaders are able to do what they do, because this disease allows for no accountability. Hence the Police/Army can not be told they are wrong, politicians cant be told they are wrong, actually who can be told they are wrong without it not being seen as an insult. Due to this, as you rightfully pointed out, we have become use to accepting bronze (not even silver forget about gold).

Here is question I want every Nigerian to ask and answer honestly: Would you mind if your President stole some money or had corrupt cronies BUT at least helped the people/masses? I can guarantee you that 99% of Nigerians will see NO PROBLEM WITH THIS! And there lies the issue. Men, would you marry a woman that said I will do all you ask and be the perfect wife BUT every now and then I will sleep outside? Got you thinking know, the grey matter is warm right.

We have gotten to the point that we will accept the bare minimum. Shame on us, because if you ask this of an American or European they will say irrevocably without blinking HELL NO WAY! That is his job. Are we not surprised that most want to enter government, NOT to improve the situation but because it can lead to personal success. Nigeria leads the list of buyers of private jets mainly by Governors, while their indigenes can barely survive let alone ask for safety and freedom. We have senators that make more than the damn president of the United States for God Sake.

For those that say well MR BIG MOUTH what are YOU doing to change it, I say I cant do ANYTHING and nor can any other person UNTIL the tide changes. Until the masses declare enough is enough. There will be a revolution take my word. Whether it will be bloody or not time will tell. I may not even live to witness it though I pray I do, what a sight that will be. That Nigerians STOP thinking they are not valuable enough to deserve the up most best and DEMAND such from that great country.

Lol! @ DTMTT. Indeed it's also been displayed on this forum. About settling for Bronze, you couldnt have said it any better.

2 Likes

Re: My Nigeria Experience by otondo55: 1:59pm On Nov 28, 2012
Good write up....the solution remains the power of The Nigerian people to choose what they really want.

Re: My Nigeria Experience by gbokukueba(m): 2:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
@Poster,
I felt exactly the same way when i visited home last month and my heart continues to bleed for Nigeria... to the point that my Ghanain colleague say so many things that are not working bout Nigeria and it so distasteful..
Re: My Nigeria Experience by pharuk: 2:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
Couldnt read past the second line...

Post too LONG, c`mon people
Re: My Nigeria Experience by dayokanu(m): 2:46pm On Nov 28, 2012
Omo this thing long oo
Re: My Nigeria Experience by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 28, 2012
SO ALL THOSE FINE PICTURES I SEE OF LAGOS AND THE MALLS AND LEKKI AND BANANA ISLAND AND MAGODO AND TINUBU SQUARE AND THE AIR CONDITIONED BUSES AND THE BUS LANES ETC ETC, ALL NA FILM TRICK cry cry I HAVE BEEN HAD BAMBOOZLED HOODWINKED DISCOMBOBULATED AND DECIEVED embarassed

2 Likes

Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
obadiah777: SO ALL THOSE FINE PICTURES I SEE OF LAGOS AND THE MALLS AND LEKKI AND BANANA ISLAND AND MAGODO AND TINUBU SQUARE AND THE AIR CONDITIONED BUSES AND THE BUS LANES ETC ETC, ALL NA FILM TRICK cry cry I HAVE BEEN HAD BAMBOOZLED HOODWINKED DISCOMBOBULATED AND DECIEVED embarassed
Hi Obadiah, dont get me wrong. Some of the pictures are indeed genuine. However the problem is more of a system disfunction. You provide "air conditioned busses (Which im yet to see lol!) without good roads to drive them on. Build shopping mall without parking space, Establish Banana Island without good water transport (Oops i forgot, na private jet dey reign), build castles in the midst of abject poverty, etc...Our problems need tailor cut solutions and not copy and paste.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by otokx(m): 3:50pm On Nov 28, 2012
@da mayor

you have not seen anything yet, Lagos is heaven where some other places like Port Harcourt, Warri, etc are, the mediocrity of Nigerians has so overwhelmed the populace they do not see beyond their noses. ACN is no different from PDP, its just that they have a lot of the media in their pocket.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by 1forall: 4:00pm On Nov 28, 2012
This is for discerning minds please.

The articulation of the writing is commendable, it was a great post which made enjoyable reading while effectively passing its message. However, disappointment was quick to follow as I began to read the comments which drew me back to the Nigerian reality.

The extent of the rot in our society today is that citizens have become 'stockholm syndromed' i.e hostages have become sympathetic with the cause of their captors and are doing what they can to see the captors achieve their purpose. I know we Nigerians have great capacity to think, but the ever-present and increasingly hard problems we face have warped our thinking. Hence the average Nigerian mind is ignorant, dysfunctional and operating in denial; focusing on that dim, distant hope that he too can 'make it' and join the band of those who have tormented him for so long.

What more do you need to confirm this than the kind of comments made here about the good effort by the original poster to illustrate truths of the Nigerian situation and the results of our sustained inaction?

Many of the time such comments come from those who profit from the national mess which is, sadly, understandable. But there is also a category of such cynics who are actually right in the thick of the storm and who daily live the struggles of being Nigerian and you wonder, can they not see how the system is rapingg us? It tells you the degree of captivity this situation has forced on us because the problems have taken deep root.

Nigerian governments have strategically been dis-educating (apologies to Pius Adesanmi) the Nigerian citizen for decades. Our educational institutions have been left to rot and its no wonder that private Nigerian citizens spent ₦160b (more than the national budget for education) on education in Ghana in 2011, that we've spent even more in Europe and USA over the years, that we now have Nigerians studying in Turkey, Poland, Ukraine, Malaysia etc, that illiteracy figures have forever remained sky high, that education no longer holds the attraction it used to, that the youth are as you say; hopeless in the midst of opportunity, and that the average mind appears to reason upside down these days.

It is a powerful strategic tool that governments have used to mentally disenfranchise citizens, afterall only those who are educated and know better can demand their rights and clamor against injustice. A dis-educated citizenry is the perfect playground for perpetual corruption and successive Nigerian governments have never taken that lightly.

So, when you read a cynical comment laden with ignorance do not take it personal as it is just one of the outcomes of the systemic dis-education of the Nigerian.

I'll leave you with a few words from the literary genius of Pius Adesanmi:

"If we cannot look up to the Nigerian educational system as a partner in the struggle for national rebirth – those who fund it will never allow this – what is to be done? Methinks that Nigerian activists and intellectuals need to start thinking extremely seriously about the option of public pedagogy. We have to look beyond formal institutions to instruct and educate our people. We have to take civics to the streets, to social media, to Molue buses, to paraga joints. We have to meet Nigerians where they are. This would involve painstaking planning and networking. It would require dedicated intellects willing to brainstorm and strategize. Once we agree that public pedagogy is an option we need to consider very seriously, conceptualization and planning could follow. In the end, every citizen we gain who no longer identifies with his own oppressor, even if the oppressor is his ethnic kinsman - is one giant step for Nigeria. With public pedagogy and instruction, we can begin to undo the psychological injury that the oppressor has done to our Stockholm Syndromed compatriots and begin the process of taking Nigeria back one mind at a time."

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
otokx: @da mayor

you have not seen anything yet, Lagos is heaven where some other places like Port Harcourt, Warri, etc are, the mediocrity of Nigerians has so overwhelmed the populace they do not see beyond their noses. ACN is no different from PDP, its just that they have a lot of the media in their pocket.

Thats why i kept my observations mostly to Lagos since thats my domain. Maybe if i travelled to these places I could comment further. Youre spot on about the mediocrity. I watched the flood saga unfold and all i heard was distribution of money. Not one talk about technical solutions. Take for instance hurricane sandy that struck the US coast lately. while there were relief materials distributed, most effort was spent on Huge pumps all around the city pumping water out to sea, and reinforvement of dikes. In our case we were waiting for water to recede while sharing money (billions) in the name of "relief material".
Re: My Nigeria Experience by otokx(m): 4:09pm On Nov 28, 2012
@da mayor

do take out time to read the blog in my signature line, it will give you a picture of the real deal going down in Nigeria.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 4:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
1forall: This is for discerning minds please.

The articulation of the writing is commendable, it was a great post which made enjoyable reading while effectively passing its message. However, disappointment was quick to follow as I began to read the comments which drew me back to the Nigerian reality.

The extent of the rot in our society today is that citizens have become 'stockholm syndromed' i.e hostages have become sympathetic with the cause of their captors and are doing what they can to see the captors achieve their purpose. I know we Nigerians have great capacity to think, but the ever-present and increasingly hard problems we face have warped our thinking. Hence the average Nigerian mind is ignorant, dysfunctional and operating in denial; focusing on that dim, distant hope that he too can 'make it' and join the band of those who have tormented him for so long.

Nigerian governments have strategically been dis-educating (apologies to Pius Adesanmi) the Nigerian citizen for decades. Our educational institutions have been left to rot and its no wonder that private Nigerian citizens spent ₦160b (more than the national budget for education) on education in Ghana in 2011, that they've spent even more in Europe and USA over the years, that we now have Nigerians studying in Turkey, Poland, Ukraine, Malaysia etc, that illiteracy figures have forever remained sky high, that education no longer holds the attraction it used to, that the youth are as you say; hopeless in the midst of opportunity, and that the average mind appears to reason upside down these days.

Thanks for the compliments. Your analysis of the situation is surgical with deadly precision. EDUCATION is the key. The leaders are scared of this, as they need look no further than 'Animal farm' to know the consequence of an educated populace.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by otokx(m): 4:33pm On Nov 28, 2012
I beg to differ with regards to education; if you go about Nigeria with the sense of i know my rights nobody can oppress me, educated air, you will just wake up in the next world and nobody will even remember that you are no more. What we need is a revolutionary leader who got the military in his pocket.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2012
otokx: I beg to differ with regards to education; if you go about Nigeria with the sense of i know my rights nobody can oppress me, educated air, you will just wake up in the next world and nobody will even remember that you are no more. What we need is a revolutionary leader who got the military in his pocket.

Lol! Otokx. I mean no disrespect when i say this line of reasoning is a by-product of the Nigerian situation. lol!! The military is what it is "The military". To defend territory against 'External aggressors'. Police is for internal issues. So you see, you reinforce 1forall's view. Its due to lack of education they do not know their place. We realy have to stop depending on them and praying for a coup as some do. They got us in this mess in the first place.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:11pm On Nov 28, 2012
I m still wondering where the Subsidy Probe, Power Probe, Police Pension Probe etc will end. Fuel is still been sold for N105/litre in my area. The thing wan tire me.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by Godogwu: 5:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
Da Mayor: It was meant to be a pleasant trip back home after a while abroad. As with everyone in my shoes I was quite excited, especially after all I’d heard (I emphasize ‘heard’) about gallant strides made by Mr. Goodluck Jonathan (representing the Federal Republic of Nigeria) and Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola (representing Lagos State Government). And so I got on a plane, destination Nigeria, all smiles on my face. Well, I didn’t have to leave Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) before those smiles began to whither. T

The baggage arrival hall of the MMIA can best be described as ‘hell fire’ preparatory room. With the intense heat in that hall, it is amazing no one ever faints on arrival. However, I must commend the customs and NDLEA people for sparing my luggage the usual pretense search in hope for a ‘settlement’ (though I noticed them staring in my direction, but I guess after the grueling torture I had endured at the immigrations/ baggage hall, my face didn’t encourage such).

Coming out of the airport, it was business as usual. Cars parked in places clearly marked ‘NO PARKING’. Shamefully, even ‘oyibo’ knew the routine of greasing the hands of the police officers tasked with enforcing the NO Parking policy, blatantly causing untold hardship to law abiding motorists who make use of the designated car park. This was obviously not a good sign giving the ‘touted’ ongoing police reforms. I must state at this point, it is a huge joke if those in government believe that structure can become a ‘Hub’ for the sub region given its dilapidated state, and its lack of basic amenities and services found in major international airports worldwide. Anyway, I was not going to allow this little setback mould my opinion of the government, even though these lapses gave me reason enough to do so.

The ride out of the airport was heart breaking. The government’s media propaganda began to fall apart before my very eyes on day one. A road meant to be the pride and joy of the nation was its shame and disgrace. It was Littered with countless pot-holes, and commercial vehicles operating with reckless abandon under the watchful eyes (blessing) of law enforcement agents. It’s a literal case of spreading our dirty laundry in public view. I believe charity begins at home, and you cannot be talking about foreign investors when you cannot guarantee basic social amenities.

Veering off into state roads, I began to wonder what all the praise singing was all about. Had Lagosians been so intimidated into singing state government praise songs? I was, and am still yet to point my finger on one genuine people oriented policy of this administration. Few weeks into my vacation, I developed a good mind to pack up and return to my adopted home, with a genuine aim to convert it to a permanent one. Sadly, for the same reason which has kept many of our best and brightest brains in foreign lands.

Lagosians can best be described as a people under siege by the Action Congress of Nigeria ACN (popularly called Asiwaju Company of Nigeria) government. Daily living in fear of being ‘Caught’ by state empowered agents (even though some could best be described as thugs) for just going about their business. “Oga we catch you dey do this”, “Madam we catch you dey do that”. One day Lagosians will begin to get caught for just walking the streets (don’t think it’s a ludicrous suggestion, as we are gradually being caged in the name of toll gates). The new state traffic law which can best be described as draconian serves to further oppress the people, leaving us at the mercy of LASTMA, KAI, and the many uniforms I couldn’t keep track of. With clauses like jail term for first time traffic offenses, while corrupt public officials get a pat on the back for embezzlement, it’s easy to imagine the caliber of people in leadership.

Before you take me for a PDP hired gun, the only reason the Lagos state government is at the receiving end is because I’m a citizen by birth and naturalization hence am well within my rights to express my candid opinion. Let me cease this opportunity to commend the Lagos state government on the environmental beautification taking place. However if we are to seriously consider the facts, we will realize that the government has not been sincere. How can a reasonable government lease/sell the serene water view (which should be public space) of Ozumba Mbadiwe to cronies for purpose of building hotels, and relegate Lagosians to under bridge parks in the middle of nowhere. Lagosians cannot even walk public beaches in their country without paying exorbitant fee. What freebie do we actually receive from the government? I have been fortunate to travel and live in a few West African and European countries, and have never paid to walk a beach. That’s a story for another day.

Nigerians have to be one of the easiest set to govern. Just throw in a pacifier every once in a while to calm their nerves. Come to think of it, there’s nothing wrong with pacifying the people. However our government’s idea of a pacifier isn’t tax breaks or policy change that impacts positively on the ordinary man, rather its increasing fuel prices to divert attention from subsidy probes, or threatening to introduce five thousand (5000) naira notes to take away attention from pressing issues such as corruption, embezzlement, bad governance etc. Basically, introducing punitive measures for daring to question them. This is a tried and tested weapon employed by the Nigerian government and seems to work all the time. Our only form of leadership is turning a blind eye to everything provided it doesn’t affect their (Politicians) businesses or interests.

Governments around the world carry out reforms, but our idea of reforms is introducing policies to breed new monsters which facilitate corruption. How else do you explain the many parastatals and commissions littered around states, and most notoriously the federal capital territory, sometimes with incoherent functions? All equipped with Chairman, director et al. occupying gigantic buildings which have to be serviced and maintained.

It is a common sight to see staff of these ‘monsters’ at home on working weekdays, or attending to their own private businesses while waiting for ‘allocation’ to arrive. The Chairmen of these commissions are mostly nothing but ‘government boys’ who have been compensated for loyalty to the ruling party.

I couldn’t help but listen to the modus operandi of one of such commissions (NDDC) as highlighted by the governor of Akwa-Ibom state (Godswill Akpabio) during the just concluded silver jubilee celebration of the state, broadcast live on satellite television, as he opened a can of worms by giving a detailed description of how deep corruption is entrenched in the commission with respect to contract allocation and performance. Till this day, I am not aware of any investigation launched by the various anti corruption agencies concerning his allegations.

The people of Lagos state, and indeed Nigerians have been so consumed by their daily struggles that they seem to have lost their sense of humanity. How else do you explain senseless hatred road users exhibit towards each other daily? Policemen incarcerating innocent citizens because he/she refused to part with a bribe? Security men at fast food joints and banks incessantly requesting a tip for ushering you in? And the cold blooded murder by the Aluu clan, of four students of the University of Port Harcourt, which has become known as the Alu 4 (one of many murders we as a nation must surely account for)? As we can see, these are pure cases of the ordinary man’s inhumanity to his kind. What has become of the mantra “do unto others as you would have others do unto you?” I believe the change we seek starts with me and you. The way we treat our fellow citizens on the streets, our colleagues at work place, etc, does go a long way in shaping society.

I dare say that Nigerians deserve the government we get. Majority of which are beneficiaries of the corrupt system, either directly or indirectly. Inwardly endorsing the corrupt ways as it puts food on the table, and outwardly condemning it. Little wonder people cannot protest when three expensive toll gates are put on their 46km stretch daily route. Or when I have to pay money to park at the airport and the roads in the car park serves only to damage my car. Or when touts (also known as area boys, however I choose to use the term criminals) extort Nigerians daily, and return a large chunk of their loot to their government god fathers.

Oh!! I weep for my people. In the words of Genghis Khan, “I (punitive leaders) am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you”. I am inclined to believe this is the situation we find ourselves.

In summary, a vast majority of our leaders are wicked. Fitting the biblical description of Satan. Coming only to steal, kill and destroy (all of which have been done to our beloved country). It would be a sad thing, and an injustice indeed to go through this man made hell here in Nigeria and end up in hell fire with this caliber of leaders. I am convinced the hottest part of hell awaits such people.

People who divert money meant to alleviate suffering of the poor and convert it to personal use. People who channel free drugs donated by foreign governments meant to support HIV patients, and sell them at exorbitant prices to the sick and afflicted. People who drive their exotic cars (and private jets as seems to be the norm) bought with ill-gotten wealth in the midst of abject poverty, and foolishly drive them on roads/ airports they have neglected. People who allocate phony road contracts knowing nothing will be done only to embezzle money. People who refuse to implement meaningful policy for fear of their loot source being cut off.

To such I ask; what has become of your conscience? How can you take a dump where you sleep/eat!!!!! As much as the white man promotes corruption abroad (so we claim), he can never bring it home as that’s where he will retire. That’s the home of his wife and kids. For our leaders, it’s the opposite.

Nigeria indeed is a land of opportunity. I know a man who was worth twenty naira in year 1999, and today is one of the world’s richest men. I know few others who run major corporations without any history of a start up. There has to be something about these types of opportunity. Opportunities that don’t follow the laws of nature. I leave you to guess what has fuelled these ‘all of a sudden’ success stories. Little wonder the youth are no longer interested in a formal education, as they have figured out the formula to instant success.

I have taken time to read biographies of success stories worldwide, and found that they have one thing in common, ‘History’. Men and women who started from humble beginnings, working hard to grow businesses into major corporations. I compare with my Nigerian entrepreneurs and what I see is instant success stories with no history. Probing further, you find that the chairman or directors consist of ‘former governor’, ‘former minister’, ‘former government official’, etc. Indeed our anticorruption agencies have their work cut out.

The rate, magnitude, and impunity at which corruption is perpetuated in Nigeria is second to none. Mildly put, if we were in a marathon, Nigeria can afford to take a whole day rest without fear of being sighted. Hence it is quite laughable and insulting when Mr. President tells Nigerians and the world that our war against corruption is second only to the United States (still laughing as I type this). Let’s take a basic case that affects us all. I heard the National Electrical Regulatory (NERC) boss publicly state that the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) service charge is illegal. However, Nigerians are still mandated to pay this absurd bill. It is not rocket science to figure that some ‘oga’ is benefiting from this charge, hence the inability of government and its regulatory agencies to curb this extortion.

What has become of our power probes? Petroleum subsidy probes? And other such spectacles as I choose to call them?

Despite all these short comings, deep down in the heart of most Nigerians in Diaspora, there is a strong desire to return home. To be around friends and loved ones. To not be bothered by freakish weather, extreme boredom, racism, and all the ‘abroad inconveniences’. That is why we follow developments back home with keen interest. Hoping to hear news that will encourage our desire to return home. Unfortunately, everyday outdoes the previous with respect to bad and absurd news. Boko haram trying to outdo MEND, Aluu clan trying to outdo boko haram, corruption trying to employ more people, ‘million man armed robbery gang’ terrorizing a state, state finance ministry broken into and all files and backups carted away while the police argued which post had jurisdiction to respond, petrol subsidy saga still playing out while culprits are still handed fresh allocations, fuel scarcity becoming a normal way of life, Pastor competing with business men, the list goes on. Is it too much to ask for a better life?

Ours is a peculiar case that defies logic. There is a complete feeling of hopelessness among the youth in the midst of opportunity, lack in the midst of plenty, and thirst in the midst of the rivers. If this isn’t a curse/ punishment, then I have never seen one. My pen has ceased to write as it weeps for my country men and women.

Indeed, only God can save from such mess!!

Dudeeee!!!! This is utter rubbish! and please stay back wherever you are next time aii. Like!, imagine the ode! You didnt see anything good in Nigeria?, you must live in heaven then..... ( '_')

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 5:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
Godogwu:

Dudeeee!!!! This is utter rubbish! and please stay back wherever you are next time aii. Like!, imagine the ode! You didnt see anything good in Nigeria?, you must live in heaven then..... ( '_')

I completely understand your frustration and sympathise with you, really. As they say, "if you cant debate them, smear them". A technique employed by the Nigerian govt, hence it is not unlikely it rubbed off on some.

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Revolva(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
@poster wow your post is so long I got tired of reading but I must confess you said the right thing but not in a right manner-
Lagos of today is far more better and improved than lagos of 8years ago - were you not in lagos when there were molue at every corner even oshodi under bridge was a mess, no street signs no traffic lights no road sweepers - oga I beg o suffry siffry dey diss lagos oya enter ekiti state you. Will call lagos london lol

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by 1forall: 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2012
Da Mayor:

I completely understand your frustration and sympathise with you, really. As they say, "if you cant debate them, smear them". A technique employed by the Nigerian govt, hence it is not unlikely it rubbed off on some.

Something to laugh about at least grin grin
Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 6:14pm On Nov 28, 2012
Revolva: @poster wow your post is so long I got tired of reading but I must confess you said the right thing but not in a right manner-
Lagos of today is far more better and improved than lagos of 8years ago - were you not in lagos when there were molue at every corner even oshodi under bridge was a mess, no street signs no traffic lights no road sweepers - oga I beg o suffry siffry dey diss lagos oya enter ekiti state you. Will call lagos london lol

You are right. There's been improvements here and there especially environmentally which i rightly pointed out in my post. However i leave you to digest on this, this, "The view of the earth by a soaring Eagle is different from that of a flying Chicken". wink
Re: My Nigeria Experience by 1forall: 6:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
Godogwu:

Dudeeee!!!! This is utter rubbish! and please stay back wherever you are next time aii. Like!, imagine the ode! You didn't see anything good in Nigeria?, you must live in heaven then..... ( '_')

There's a native saying I grew up hearing which goes 'A child thinks his father's farm is the largest until he visits his friend's father's farm'.

I have hypothetically said many times to friends that one way (although not practical) to accelerate the Nigerian revolution would be to take the masses, all 112 million of them, to developed nations to live for a short period of time just enough for them to take in how such societies are built, how they work and how citizens are generally regarded. The arrangement would be such that EVERY one of them would return back to Nigeria.

My brother, a revolution with maximum violence would commence immediately they return as people suddenly realize they'd been rammed up the asss with wooden stakes all their lives lol.

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 6:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
1forall:

There's a native saying I grew up hearing which goes 'A child thinks his father's farm is the largest until he visits his friend's father's farm'.

I have hypothetically said many times to friends that one way (although not practical) to accelerate the Nigerian revolution would be to take the masses, all 112 million of them, to developed nations to live for a short period of time just enough for them to take in how such societies are built, how they work and how citizens are generally regarded. The arrangement would be such that EVERY one of them would return back to Nigeria.

My brother, a revolution with maximum violence would commence immediately they return as people suddenly realize they'd been rammed up the asss with wooden stakes all their lives lol.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin @ MAXIMUM VIOLENCE
Re: My Nigeria Experience by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 28, 2012
Cyberknight: Paris's Charles de Gaulle is virtually a city
hmmm Paris CDG, that airport should be listed as one of the man made wonders in this world and a national treasure to France...kilode.
Re: My Nigeria Experience by ryom(m): 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
@OP- very well said. Very well said. It is difficult to fathom where we start from to fix this nation of ours. Some say fix it from top down. If we have a saint for president, what about the other arms of government? Will they not hound him? What about the ministers and directors who will simply saboteur his/her good intentions? If we say to fix it from bottom up, go back to primary schools to establish proper educational foundations, where are the hands to ensure this? We are quick to blame leadership, but followership is just as much in dire need of reform.
The average Nigerian is generally not a keen reader. Someone had said if you want to hide a thing from the African, put it in a book! Changing the mindset requires reading. Reading about change. Reading about how people who achieved change did it. I have read the Singapore story (Lee Kuan Yew), I don't know how many Nigerians have. But he successfully transformed his country, today one of the few debt free countries on earth.

Years of degradation now means many of our people now accept mediocrity for excellence. Someone mentioned the Stockholm syndrome. It still boils downtown how we can change the mindset. It will not be easy but it is possible. When malignancy has taken such foothold, curing it requires great care and delicate handling otherwise the host will perish with the disease. The Nigerian question will require a multidimensional approach. A good man at the top (like Lee Kuan Yew), a mindset change emphasis from the religious polity, same from traditional rulers(why are they not called traditional leaders?), schools, especially from bottom up.

There is also a need to empower the people. The various human rights organisations can strengthen their vanguard function by guiding foreign NGOs to support programmes that will genuinely empower the people. So, graduated mechanised farming for instance, not necessarily high tech, but beyond hoe and cutlass. Home building and construction using locally available resources. Various aspects of craftsman ships. Things that will genuinely empower the people so they don't hero worship their leaders that much. There are other ideas but I've go to keep this short.

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2012
1forall:

True, I was formerly a "dont say anything bad about my country or I kick u in d ass" over patriotic Nigerian. Well, I stepped my foot on European soil and it dawned on that Nigeria had been developing in the negative direction.

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by ryom(m): 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
It looks like there is a pseudo-dichotomy on this thread, I don't think my brothers and sisters at home should pick issues with those who have been privileged to travel to lands yonder. The truth is sometimes it takes seeing the other side to appreciate a need for change. I remember once I took my car to a mechanic in a city in S/West , and while chit chatting with the car electrician, I told of my sojourn to the lands beyond the seas. I mentioned how power supply was so constant to which he replied 'ha ha oga, NEPA no dey there?' To this my dear friend it was inconceivable that there will be no black out! So naturally he doesn't expect his govt to provide it.

1 Like

Re: My Nigeria Experience by DaMayor1: 7:32pm On Nov 28, 2012
ryom: It looks like there is a pseudo-dichotomy on this thread, I don't think my brothers and sisters at home should pick issues with those who have been privileged to travel to lands yonder. The truth is sometimes it takes seeing the other side to appreciate a need for change. I remember once I took my car to a mechanic in a city in S/West , and while chit chatting with the car electrician, I told of my sojourn to the lands beyond the seas. I mentioned how power supply was so constant to which he replied 'ha ha oga, NEPA no dey there?' To this my dear friend it was inconceivable that there will be no black out! So naturally he doesn't expect his govt to provide it.

Such has been displayed on this thread as well. As i quoted, earlier, "The view of the earth by a soaring Eagle is different from that of a flying Chicken" grin grin
Re: My Nigeria Experience by Godogwu: 7:43pm On Nov 28, 2012
Da Mayor:

LOL, i can only laugh.... Frankly im not your type that virtually lives on nairaland but i dont have a class now so lets have fun for a bit aii.

Look at the pictures on this other thread and tell me which lagos you actually went to, that leaving the airport there were numerous pot holes and all that funny stuff you said. https://www.nairaland.com/1114951/growing-beauty-lagos-pics

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All Roads In Owerri Main Town Are In A Sorry State.(pix) / Anioma Group Blasts Apc's Laurreta Onochie For Her Infamous "Press Release"!!! / Urban Renewal: Enugu Govt. To Rehabilitate 233 Bus-stop Shelters, Road Hand Rail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.