Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,824 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" (56150 Views)

Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland / Good Morning To My Fellow Virgins, How was Your Night? / Seun, What Is Wrong In Posting "Medìafire" Links (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
War Horse: I am shocked that many Nigerian see the question "How was your night?" a problem. I use it a lot and I am yet to come across objections. I fell in love with that question when I heard kenny Rogers' song "She believes in me". In the song, Kenny just came back from a stay-out-late-at-night-and-play-my-song and his lady woke up "and quietly she says how was your night?". Was he expecting Kenny to say he had bad or good fun making---love with his guitar? Why do some Nigerian think rotten all the time?

may be we should stop saying good night :

because not everybody is married!
because not everybody is in good terms with their mate!
because not everybody enjoys s..e..x!
because the word night means s..e..x!
because some literate illiterates are Nigerians

Please, is it also bad ti tell someone "Have a nice night?"

Nice and good, are they synonyms ?- I mean like saying nice food or good food? any thing wrong with that?

Ur head dy there jaré
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by aribisala0(m): 4:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
TimePiece:

LOL! @ "troublesome expression"

The rule of acceptability given the context, has been broken. and that's exactly the point i made in my first response.
Grammaticality is not the only rule or standard set in any language to attain appropriateness.
if it were just a case of grammar, like you put it, then an expression like, "colourless green ideas sleep profusely" would be just fine because by any standard English grammatical structure, it is correct. But is it acceptable? no! Why? because everything is wrong with the idea given.
just like it is wrong to ask your colleague how their night went as a form of greeting in English.

my ice-cream illustration was just used to buttress the fact that it is not okay for anyone to say that a form is right, just by mere reasoning or sentiment but should be by application of what obtains in a system.

and yes, language rules can be likened to Maths formulae because every language user follows a set of rules or formulae when he speaks except that they just don't know it. Linguists will tell you that.
You are not able to address the simple question "Which rule?" for a simple and obvious reason; You don't know.You haven't a clue what you are talking about. When you introduce nebulous notions like acceptable it exposes your desperation to save face. Accceptable to WHOM? is the natural question. You and your friends or who exactly are the members of this GRAMMAR POLICE FORCE?. Refrain from using spurious examples to make your points as they only harm your cause. The links between your examples and argument would indeed require some "MATHEMATICAL FORMULAE" to unravel

The phrase
"colourless green ideas sleep profusely" you supplied is grammatically sound and the apparent logical contradiction a well known rhetorical and literary device(just like LOUD SILENCE) often seen in poetry ,verse and similar works that eludes your superficial knowledge of English.That example undermines rather than buttreses your argument.
pretty much all you have to offer is weak and watery waffle as a poor substitute for substance.
With respect your reasoning is poor,very poor.Even sadder to behold is your profound oblivion to your plight.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Artistree: 4:46pm On Nov 28, 2012
I read it somewhere (can't remember now) that asking "how's your nite"? is totally wrong and unacceptable.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by aribisala0(m): 4:48pm On Nov 28, 2012
I recommend you google the expression

HOW WAS YOUR NIGHT?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 5:02pm On Nov 28, 2012
aribisala0: I recommend you google the expression

HOW WAS YOUR NIGHT?

I did buh couldn't find any contradiction to the expression.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by wizard01(m): 5:49pm On Nov 28, 2012
Speaking of Night, at what time do we stop saying good evening officially and start saying good night?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Sike(m): 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2012
Table Leg :
Personally i dont like that question .... say good morning and move the fu/ck on, dont worry about the past!
Chikena!
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by mrscolite(f): 6:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
War Horse: I am shocked that many Nigerian see the question "How was your night?" a problem. I use it a lot and I am yet to come across objections. I fell in love with that question when I heard kenny Rogers' song "She believes in me". In the song, Kenny just came back from a stay-out-late-at-night-and-play-my-song and his lady woke up "and quietly she says how was your night?". Was he expecting Kenny to say he had bad or good fun making---love with his guitar? Why do some Nigerian think rotten all the time?

may be we should stop saying good night :

because not everybody is married!
because not everybody is in good terms with their mate!
because not everybody enjoys s..e..x!
because the word night means s..e..x!
because some literate illiterates are Nigerians

Please, is it also bad ti tell someone "Have a nice night?"

Nice and good, are they synonyms ?- I mean like saying nice food or good food? any thing wrong with that?

I am with you on this one...most nigerians have ISSUES!
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Limaoscar: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2012
I don't like that Question....I hate it!!..I get asked in Naija and my response always is: "you don't wanna know"
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Heavensent(m): 6:53pm On Nov 28, 2012
If u asked pesin 'how was ur nyt' and replied wit 'fine'.d person does not undastand english @all..hw was ur nyt is lyk sayin tel me wat apund in d nyt
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Shahensha(m): 7:16pm On Nov 28, 2012
From what i have read so far, i think "how was your night" is informal while "did u sleep well" is formal. Its now left for you to choose appropriately on the above situations. Shikina!
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by BarryX(m): 7:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
aribisala0:

No need to ask Professors they do not create Languages and a phrase or word exists the moment it has several subscribers. It might be annoying but it does "EXIST" and we need to we wary of the Colo Mentality that prescribes language being disseminated from the top down. Languages NEVER stand still and keep evolving.Take the word GAY for example it means something completely different today and those so called PROFESSORS had to surrender to the change.

Just as they resent What's up,What's cooking,popping etc those are all recognizable forms of greeting. Language is a servant not a Master and its users always change it to meet their needs. Even in the UK(the origin of English) there are phrases like "How am ya? How are youse(plural) which have their minority users and are VERY valid. English now no longer belongs to the English and nothing stops a population of 100 million plus charting their own course

By the way ,, How was ya last nite??
Best comment do far ... brilliance... Kudos!!!!
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by skyfall: 7:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
It's too intrusive. Good morning/how are you is ok for me.

I also dislike the popular greeting "what have you been up to?" I guess people say it trying to sound cool but it sounds dumb to me.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
The question I̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ only wrong when its being asked by same sex.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by shady26(m): 9:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
crusufixo: I dont see anyting wrong with the question. Its just an innocent question. even if one did anyting that nite, all u just have to do is answer 'fine' ( as in my nite was fine ), and dats it, life goes on. My tot is, if anybody flares up at that question, then that person's conscience is disturbing him/her for dat person must have done sometin wrong dat nite.
U will see wOTs wrong wit it whn u meet a witch in the morning whose nite paroles was spoilt by some church folks having tarry nite and so passed the nite hung/bound on 1 high tension till vigil ends in the morning nd here u come asking how was her nite?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by shady26(m): 9:52pm On Nov 28, 2012
crusufixo: I dont see anyting wrong with the question. Its just an innocent question. even if one did anyting that nite, all u just have to do is answer 'fine' ( as in my nite was fine ), and dats it, life goes on. My tot is, if anybody flares up at that question, then that person's conscience is disturbing him/her for dat person must have done sometin wrong dat nite.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by pssword: 1:16am On Nov 29, 2012
Only witches and wizards will have issues with that questions shocked
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Abbey2sam(m): 4:12am On Nov 29, 2012
ignis: Actually, some people take it personal when asked 'how was your nyt'. My senior colleague told me its very wrong to ask an adult 'how was your nyt'?
To be on the safer side, just ask ' Hope your nyt was gud. Or did u sleep well?
Because people are different.

must you ask a question? Can't you jus greet and move the fvck on?
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by linearity: 6:17am On Nov 29, 2012
"How was your nite?" Is a question and not a greeting...you do not ask people questions when what you said you intend doing is greeting them! Greetings come in form of statements..eg..these are some example of greetings and questions:

1. Good morning. (How is your morning is a question not a greeting)
2. Well done. (How were able to do all these...is not a greeting)
3. Sorry (Was that painfull...is not a greeting)
4. Take heart. (How are you coping with your lost...is a question and not a greeting)
5. congratulation. (Was the finals difficult...is not a greeting)
6. get well. (Are you hale and hearty now...is not a greeting)
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by kjhova(m): 8:00am On Nov 29, 2012
I always have two simple answers to that:
1) fine, i had sex
2) not fine, didn't have sex
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Triple3Gayanfe(m): 8:16am On Nov 29, 2012
Oh ye of DIRTY minds,its just a simple question.well,eni je fufu lara fun!
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Daluuzor(m): 5:08pm On Nov 29, 2012
ujoatu:

a senior clients wife harassed me 4 asking the hubby same question, she said its wrong. its better to ask DID YOU SLEEP WELL. that how was your night is like HOW DID IT GO

u can lay ur comment witout quotin d post, tanks
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by KennyG(m): 6:26pm On Nov 29, 2012
I suppose saying: 'Have a good night' to an adult is also wrong.
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by dmcdad: 10:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
linearity: "How was your nite?" Is a question and not a greeting...you do not ask people questions when what you said you intend doing is greeting them! Greetings come in form of statements..eg..these are some example of greetings and questions:

1. Good morning. (How is your morning is a question not a greeting)
2. Well done. (How were able to do all these...is not a greeting)
3. Sorry (Was that painfull...is not a greeting)
4. Take heart. (How are you coping with your lost...is a question and not a greeting)
5. congratulation. (Was the finals difficult...is not a greeting)
6. get well. (Are you hale and hearty now...is not a greeting)

I was a bit taken aback when someone brought up an argument on this thread that "how was ur nite?" is a greeting rather than a question. Na wa o
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by mrscolite(f): 5:09am On Nov 30, 2012
Awkward undecided but since i last made a comment,things have changed. I don't feel comfy asking how was ur nite anymore . NairalanDEERS grin what have you done to me? angry
I'd ask only close friends now& I don't want to hear Fine o,I need details tongue the dirtier d berra wink grin
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by TimePiece(f): 9:14am On Nov 30, 2012
mrscolite: Awkward undecided but since i last made a comment,things have changed. I don't feel comfy asking how was ur nite anymore . Nairalanders what have you done to me? angry
I'd ask only close friends now& I don't want to hear Fine o,I need details tongue the dirtier d berra wink grin

Lol!
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Tuneshypedotcom: 7:12am On Feb 20, 2016
[url]Tuneshype.com[/url]
Re: What Is Wrong In Asking Someone "How Was Your Night?" by Boshemann(m): 7:35am On Jul 19, 2016
angel106:
Hello my dear nairalanders, can you kindly contribute to the topic. A colleague of mine came to work and was pissed at the response she got when she innocently greeted a friend and asked her "How was your night?".

The friend flared up and asked her to stop asking her such question, that why would she want to know how her night was? That why was she interested in knowing what she did with her husband shocked.

Na wetin concern dead body with overload?

To me, it is just a simple remark of knowing that you had a good night rest without troubles. But i can be wrong, so my dears....you have the floor.

Thanks.

While your friend shouldn't have flared up, the question is still very funny (sometimes outright annoying).
I believe the question came into use as a direct consequence of asking "how was your day?" In analysing the whole thing, "how was your day?" seems valid since most people go through different experiences during the day. But at night? We mostly sleep. So, I think 'hope you slept well' or "did you sleep well" is a more straightforward way to show your concern for someone. If a person had terrible dreams or couldn't sleep, then the answer will be something like "couldn't sleep o", or 'had nightmares'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is This How Our Soldiers Are Trained? / I Killed This Snake In My Compound, What Type Of Snake Is It? / The Big Bush Rat Killed At My Backyard (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.