Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix (1043 Views)

BUHARI VS 50 CENT - 7 THINGS IN COMMON: BY AMECHI OKOLI / LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli / Where Are The Nigerian Femcees? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
Pls read

Hip Hop Beefs:Why Una Dey Vex? An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli

The rivalries have been legendary and unfortunately it's been fatal in some cases.
Tupac vs Biggie,LL cool J vs Kool Moe D,Dr Dre vs Eazy E,KRS One & Scott La Rock vs Marley Marl & The Juice Crew,Cypress Hill vs Westside Connection,Jay-Z vs Nas,50Cent vs Ja rule,Lil Kim vs Nicki Minaj,Cassidy vs Meek Mills,Bow Wow vs Lil Romeo, even J.Cole vs Diggy Simmons(na that one tire me pass) Some people may ask,what is it with rap music and conflicts? Why can't they all just get along?

It's no secret that the pioneers of hip hop music from the late 70's to the early 80's and 90's all came from the ghettos of America,ghettos where youths get shot on a daily basis,ghettos where selling drugs(besides sports and entertainment) was like the only way out of a pathetic negro life,ghettos where 17 year old girls were already mothers of 3 kids(and still counting),ghettos where white police officers oppressed blacks regularly,ghettos where almost every household had at least one family member in jail!!!
Yes,those rappers from back in the day were angry,their eye dey red pass hell fire,they were so competitive,survival of the fittest was their motto,a motto which trickled into their music,music that got into the ears of every dude that could afford a cassette tape player.
It was a no-nonsense era where saying something in a rap verse that even slightly disrespects the next rapper would spark off a verbal(sometimes physical)battle.

Name-Calling and dissing(directly or subliminally) became a trend in rap,a trend set by the Ol' G's and quickly picked up by the generations to come.
Something like, If Roxanne Shante could call out Ice Cube on a track then why wouldn't an up-coming 50 Cent take verbal shots at a veteran like Nas?
Rap battles between two M.Cs became like a battle between two crack dealers in the hood trying to secure their corner and kill off any competition trying to reduce their drug sales.
Same mentality a rapper like 50 Cent came with when he released his 1999 classic 'How To Rob' taking playful shots at everybody that was somebody in the rap game at that time, I mean everybody,from Puff Daddy to Jay-Z,Jermain Dupri,Juvenile,Mase,Big Pun etc 50 said in an interview that for him to be number one,he had to take down the ones on top and claim his spot,not that he had any personal beef with anyone,he just saw the need to compete hard and earn his stripes by calling out the 'Goliaths' of rap and slaying them.

Some rappers diss to get noticed while others diss to address real personal issues.
Some feuds run deep while other rap feuds are just plain silly,lacking any real spark e.g Gucci Mane vs Young Jeezy(Boooooring!!!!)

We are all human beings and we disagree every now and then so what is it with rappers that makes them take their disagreements to the studio,get a beat and proceed to tongue-lash the guy they have an issue with? Can u picture Keri Hilson doing a diss track for Mariah Carey or Adele dissing Boys 2 Men? The thought alone sef don make me laugh as I dey type this article!

How did dissing become so popular in hip hop? Within America and everywhere else?
Mode 9 vs Ruggedman,Reminisce vs Vector,M.I vs Kelly Handsome!

Is it the competitive nature of the art? Is it that every M.C needs to have a tough guy persona? Why una dey vex?

At the end o' the day who cares what the reason is? It's diss tracks like 'The Bridge Is Over' 'Hit Em Up' '2nd Round Knock Out' & 'Ether' that make the rap game kinda interesting and unique, as long as it stays on records then we'll be good (No guns please,just verses)

With that being said I think I'll take a quick listen to Jay-Z's 'Take Over' and rap along to all the lyrical jabs he threw at Mobb Deep & Nas..lol.

Follow @IamDoubleSix

PEACE!!!

http://feeleh.com/2012/11/29/hip-hop-beefswhy-una-dey-vex-an-article-by-amechi-double-six-okoli/
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 02, 2012
Pls read
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 04, 2012
@Mikuz hola!
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 4:21am On Dec 05, 2012
I need contributions to this thread..thanks!
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 10, 2012
Where are d hip hop heads? .128 views and no comments? Lets keep dis thread alive aiight.
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 12, 2012
Follow @IamDoubleSix for more articles and updates.
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 20, 2012
Follow @IamDoubleSix
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by akraym(m): 3:33pm On Jan 02, 2013
Copy and paste article. Nice try anyway

1 Like

Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 03, 2013
@akraym whaaaat? Copy and paste what? My article is original and made possible by my very thorough knowledge of hip hop music and music in general..i've bin into hip hop since 1991 and beleive it or not i have a lot to write about as far as rap is concerned..i appreciate you taking out time 2 read but i dont appreciate your 'copy and paste opinion'
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by phatwall: 7:29am On Apr 15, 2013
hip hop heads comments pls.
Re: Hip Hop Beefs:An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli @IamDoubleSix by phatwall: 3:33pm On Jun 03, 2013
Comments

(1) (Reply)

Music : D’banj – No More / Record Label Is So Hard To Find / ASLA - Tarsem Ali - Brand New Punjabi Songs 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.