Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,963 members, 7,799,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Does Prayer Work? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Prayer Work? (2138 Views)

Does Prayer Really Works? / How Much Does Prayer Weigh? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Prayer Work? by therationa(m): 8:00pm On Feb 11, 2008
Praying is a central tenet of the religious life. However the jury is still out as to its efficacy. Is anyone aware of any instances where amputed limbs have regrown thanks to prayer. In fact I will let this website explain it better than I can.

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/video8.htm
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 10:22pm On Feb 11, 2008
therationa:

Praying is a central tenet of the religious life. However the jury is still out as to its efficacy. Is anyone aware of any instances where amputed limbs have regrown thanks to prayer. In fact I will let this website explain it better than I can.

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/video8.htm

all these cowardice and political correctness . . . why not just say Christian life as that is essentially what you mean instead of hiding it under the bogus guise of "religion"?
Re: Does Prayer Work? by therationa(m): 11:01pm On Feb 11, 2008
4HIM,

For your information, prayer is common to most (if not all ) religions viz xian, mus-lims, hindus, jewish, sihks etc.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 11:07pm On Feb 11, 2008
therationa:

4HIM,

For your information, prayer is common to most (if not all ) religions viz xian, mus-lims, hindus, jewish, sihks etc.

we know but face it . . . when you post threads all you are focused on is ridiculing christianity. Neither of the other religions u mention tell you that their prayers perform any miracles.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Zandra1(f): 12:25am On Feb 12, 2008
I dont know for some people but I know that God has always and continues to answer my prayers and those of my family and friends. So yes it works perfectly.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by therationa(m): 12:54am On Feb 12, 2008
Zandra1,

I am glad for you that your "requests and demands are answered my god". Do you know what might have happened had you NOT prayed?

How about people who have never prayed in their lives? Would you expect them to be less "successful" in life?
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 1:31am On Feb 12, 2008
therationa:

Zandra1,

I am glad for you that your "requests and demands are answered my god". Do you know what might have happened had you NOT prayed?

How about people who have never prayed in their lives? Would you expect them to be less "successful" in life?

The bible has a perfect answer for ur "question": Matthew 5: 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by TOYOSI20(f): 2:55am On Feb 12, 2008
Yes O!!!!!!

My God is a living God he has done it in the past,

He is doing it today and

He will continue to do it in the Future.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Zandra1(f): 4:32am On Feb 12, 2008
@ therationa, 4Him has answered ur question but I just gutta say that I dont expect people that dont pray to be less successful, because my God is a merciful God. He cares for those that pray and those that do not pray though they might not know that yet. I also know that when one is unsuccessful in life prayers can make the impossible possible thru the grace of the Almighty One. All I know is that I and my family will praise and worship Him from now till thy kingdom come. To each his own (belief). Hope this helps.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Alphazee(f): 12:14pm On Feb 12, 2008
Therationa asked a simple question:

Is anyone aware of any instances where amputed limbs have regrown thanks to prayer?

Please stop being evasive. Answer the question or shut up! grin
Re: Does Prayer Work? by therationa(m): 12:57pm On Feb 12, 2008
Alphazee,

How come you are the only one who actually spotted the REAL question on this thread? Many thankz for re-stating it. smiley
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Zandra1(f): 1:58pm On Feb 12, 2008
@ alphazee, whatever.

@ poster, Ive seen where people are healed of diseases, sicknesses, aches etc as a result of prayer. I havent seen where people grew limbs as a result of prayer but I know that that is also very possible for my God to do because there's nothing impossible for Him to do. He's the same God that raised Lazarus from the dead and also made the lame walk. Now, since everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, u might choose to believe this or not but I believe it. Am sure Ive answered ur 'question'. Peace.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by stimulus(m): 2:27pm On Feb 12, 2008
Alphazee:

Therationa asked a simple question:

therationa:

Alphazee,

How come you are the only one who actually spotted the REAL question on this thread? Many thankz for re-stating it. smiley

I'd like to propose another question: why does the efficacy of prayer have to be defined so narrowly?
Re: Does Prayer Work? by therationa(m): 2:50pm On Feb 12, 2008
Stimulus,

Is it not said somewhere in the bible that: (I paraphrase)

With HIM everything/anything asked in HIS name is possible?

So it re-growing a limb outside the realm of everything/anything?

BTW, lizards do it without so much as prayer smiley
Re: Does Prayer Work? by stimulus(m): 2:56pm On Feb 12, 2008
@therationa,

I would simply have replied precisely as Alphazee responded:

Alphazee:

You see what I have often called your attention to? Why is it that when you make some propositions to examine faith-related issues, you never seem to be able to hold your own assumptions when presented to you?

Of course, I don't mean to be uncouth as in Alphazee's response; but my question is simple enough: "why does the efficacy of prayer have to be defined so narrowly?"
Re: Does Prayer Work? by therationa(m): 3:08pm On Feb 12, 2008
Stimulus,

What do you mean by saying "defined the efficacy of prayer narrowly"? I just showed you that everything should be possible by your bible. Is that not what your bible says?

You accuse me of evasion. What am I evading?
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Aleksys: 3:35pm On Feb 12, 2008
This question is two fold. (1) Does prayer work? (2) Can prayer grow amputated limb?
(1) Prayer does work and it does not matter what religion you practice. Prayer is a form of submission to the higher power. In other word it is the recognition of your limits as human and the acceptance of the fact that your being is not by your power or by might but by grace. Wether you are a practising Christian, Islam, Hindu, Shinto or traditional African religion, I can assure you that as long as you pray with and from a pure heart your prayer will be answered.
(2) As to growing a severed limb by prayer. This is like asking God to change yesterday and God will never break is own law neither will he disagree with himself. Whatever happened yesterday has happened hence your prayer should be focused on grace to live with your infirmity. I am not saying there is no miracles, I agree miracle happens but praying for an amputated limb to grow is like putting God to the test. If you have your limb severed that is your cross, ask God to grant you the fortitude to bear the agony and the inconvenience of living with it.
Remember the serenity prayer? God grant me the serenity to change the things that I can, to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference. We go through some things in life that is beyond our understanding. So our prayer should be centered on grace and not some abracadabra.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by stimulus(m): 3:37pm On Feb 12, 2008
@therationa,

therationa:

What do you mean by saying "defined the efficacy of prayer narrowly"? I just showed you that everything should be possible by your bible. Is that not what your bible says?

If EVERYTHING is possible, then tell me as rationally as you possibly could: why does the efficacy of prayer have to be defined so narrowly?

You see, I keep asking this question because from the onset you seem to have deflated your premise before you began! undecided

Let me explain: as a Christian, I do believe what the Bible teaches, and one of them is what you have enquired about: the teaching that nothing is impossible with God - or quoting the texts directly -

ῦ  with God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26)

ῦ  with God nothing shall be impossible (Luke 1:37)

ῦ  The things which are impossible with men
are possible with God (Luke 18:27)

That said, if the premise is that "all things" are possible with God, why then keep honking on the narrow idea of just growing limbs? The undergirding assumption in my question is that you have narrowed your premise in order to reach a conclusion already before inviting a discussion - and for those who take that backyard thinking (ala Alphazee), I invite them to simply shut up as well!

You guys should be ready to invite discussions that do not assume a cubicle ideology in order to derogate the integrity of your audience.

therationa:

You accuse me of evasion. What am I evading?

Sometimes my argument and persuasions are quite frankly stated strongly. I do apologise (and continue to do so where necessary). However, I was wondering why a simple question in my proposal was being skirted round a few times, although I presented it in equally simple terms as you supposed yours was. wink
Re: Does Prayer Work? by stimulus(m): 3:44pm On Feb 12, 2008
@Aleksys,

Aleksys:

This question is two fold. (1) Does prayer work? (2) Can prayer grow amputated limb?

Thank you: my point simply made.

@therationa,

The highlighted part of the quote above was particularly why I proposed my question. The narrow sense of whether or not limbs grow as a result of prayer does not in itself measure the efficacy of prayer. Your initial query was:

Is anyone aware of any instances where amputed limbs have regrown thanks to prayer?

. . . and it all depends on what exactly you'd be meaning by "is anyone aware?" Now, if you meant by that to ask if anyone was aware of "instances" from reports, of course so many people are "aware" of such instances. But if you were asking if your audience was particularly witnesses themselves, then there are not many such witnesses you may read of on the Forum.

Yet, that in itself should not lead to the inference that prayer does not work as suggestive in the topic: "Does Prayer Work?"

It is easier to dismiss the efficacy of prayer by narrowing your guesses; but the narrowing of assumptions in itself does not negate the efficacy of prayer.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by mnwankwo(m): 4:03pm On Feb 12, 2008
The poster is not asking a question but is mocking the concept of prayer. It is very clear that the poster is of the opinion that prayer does not work and yet he poses the question probably to mock or make fun of prayer. It appears the poster do not believe in God and his omniscience and thus any explanation on why prayer is a special grace of God will not make sense to him. Suffice to say that the granting of a prayer lies within the omniscience of God. Obedience to the laws of God and an unshakeable conviction in the omnipotence of God are essential to the granting of petitions by the Almighty God. There are no report yet of an amputated limb that was regrown by praying to God but that does not mean that it is impossible. It is possible that within some decades, science can grow an entire limb from  stem cells or reprogram a differentiated cell to a human limb. If such advances are possible within science, why is it then impossible for the Almighty God? It is unfortunate that some people are willing to accept as a possibility anything science says and yet deny the possiblity of the same event occuring through the power of God. It is within the omnipotence of God for an amputated limb to be regrown. Conviction in the omnipotence of  God and obedience to the laws of God are criteria for attracting the power of God. When these conditions are met, the omnipotence of God will manifest in miracles that even those who question the power of God will be compelled to acknowledge his omniscience and omnipotence. If we can really pray and live according to the Laws of God, then even an amputated limb can be regrown.

1 Like

Re: Does Prayer Work? by stimulus(m): 4:11pm On Feb 12, 2008
m_nwankwo:

The poster is not asking a question but is mocking the concept of prayer.

Good observation - I hope he comes to see that "stimulus" and "m_nwankwo" are not the same persons, yet they could easily see the underpinnings of this thread? grin
Re: Does Prayer Work? by dafidixone(m): 5:47pm On Feb 12, 2008
The prayer of the righteous availeth much.
grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Does Prayer Work? by squirrel20(f): 8:29pm On Feb 12, 2008
100% YES
PRAYER DOES WORK AND GOD HAS ALWAYS ANSWERED MY PRAYERS.
THOUGH SOMETIMES IT TAKES LONG BUT HE IS STILL A FAITHFUL GOD AND HAS NEVER FAILED ME.
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Millena(m): 8:55pm On Feb 12, 2008
Therationa,
My God answers prayers and will continue answering prayers. That He may not have caused amputees to recieve new limbs doesnt mean that He cannot and will not do it. My God has healed sicknesses and addicts; set many on bondage free; solved countless problems, and will continue doing so.
Do you actually have a God you pray to? A God you believe in? If yes, why don't you ask your God god? And when you ask him, and he replies, get back to us with your God's god's answer.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by bawomolo(m): 11:23pm On Feb 12, 2008
prayer doesn't work.

positive attitude and optimistic thinking is what works.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 13, 2008
bawomolo:

prayer doesn't work.

Is prayer not an outstretch of faith --- the hope of things not seen? I don't know who briefed you on prayers but you definitely cannot go into prayers with a negative attitude and pessimistic thinking and get answers.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by bawomolo(m): 1:37am On Feb 13, 2008
Is prayer not an outstretch of faith --- the hope of things not seen? I don't know who briefed you on prayers but you definitely cannot go into prayers with a negative attitude and pessimistic thinking and get answers.

people seem to confuse optimistic thinking with prayer. a positive attitude means u believe in YOUR OWN abilities. prayer means putting everything in God's hand. how do u get answers from ur prayers??
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 1:55am On Feb 13, 2008
bawomolo:

prayer doesn't work.

We shld assume then that most nigerians have a negative attitude and pessimistic thinking. I wonder how many people have been healed because of positive thinking.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by bawomolo(m): 2:08am On Feb 13, 2008
We shld assume then that most nigerians have a negative attitude and pessimistic thinking. I wonder how many people have been healed because of positive thinking.

most nigerians are religious and pessimistic about their future/government. i don't get the analogy here. people with positive attitude have been shown to do better in hospitals.
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 2:11am On Feb 13, 2008
bawomolo:

most nigerians are religious and pessimistic about their future/government. i don't get the analogy here. people with positive attitude have been shown to do better in hospitals.

snatching polls from the air as usual to support an untenable and unproven "fact"?
Re: Does Prayer Work? by 4Him(m): 2:16am On Feb 13, 2008
that of course presupposes that it is possible to gauge what is meant by "positive attitude".
Re: Does Prayer Work? by bawomolo(m): 2:21am On Feb 13, 2008
that of course presupposes that it is possible to gauge what is meant by "positive attitude".

it is not easy to gauge, but there is a reason hospitals are beginning to use pets and a more conducive environment to keep their patients happy. less stress and optimism usually makes them feel better. of course positive thinking alone won't help, neither would prayer.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Did Life Really Start? / Christian At War, Christian, Seek Not Yet Repose / The Mystical Life Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.