Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Every Car Techie On NL - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Every Car Techie On NL (1072 Views)

Top Car Accessories Every Car Owner Must Have / Important Fuel Saving Tips For Every Car Owner / Top 10 DIY Tips Every Car Owner Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Car Techie On NL by 9jacriip: 8:06pm On Dec 01, 2012
I don't know what's wrong with my car head lights, they're not bright @ all and I hardly see anything at night - really scary. Though I've changed bulbs severally, still no difference - its lacking brightness. What can I do? Solutions please.
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
9jacriip: I don't know what's wrong with my car head lights, they're not bright @ all and I hardly see anything at night - really scary. Though I've changed bulbs severally, still no difference - its lacking brightness. What can I do? Solutions please.

What make and model of car do you drive, and what year?
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by 9jacriip: 8:13pm On Dec 01, 2012
That was quick! Thank you.
Its an Accord 2004 EX
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 01, 2012
9jacriip: That was quick! Thank you.
Its an Accord 2004 EX

There are several factors that could account for dim headlamps.

1) Discoloured headlamp lenses.
2) Discoloured headlamp reflectors.
3) Incorrect headlamp aim.
4) Excessive voltage drop at wiring terminals.

a) Your headlamp lenses are plastic. These plastic lenses can tarnish over time, and become yellowish, with surface scratches. Take a look at these first, they should be clear, with no opaque (cloudy) appearance. If they are not clear, the only way out is replacement.

b) Your reflectors must be a clear silver. Most modern cars have plastic reflectors, with a silver treatment. Older models will be chrome-plated metal. Make sure your lenses have no cracks. If there's any way moisture can get into the units, the reflectors can dull, metal ones can have the chrome plating flake off, and the metal rust. Again, if this is the case, the only way out is replacement.

c) Headlamp aim is very important. If the headlamps are aimed too low, the beam won't travel very far, and will illuminate a very short distance at night, regardless of how bright they are. If aimed too high, there won't be any beam pattern to see from the driving seat at night, so I would look at this too. Hoes your car have a headlamp level adjuster on the dash? It should be set to 0 (zero) at all times, unless the rear is heavily loaded, then position 1 or 2 should be used.

d) If your headlamp wiring has corrosion, or is otherwise old, you'll get voltage drop. So you can get 10 - 11,5 volts at the bulb, instead of the average 12,5 - 14,4 volts with the engine running. You'll need a decent garage to check the voltage with a multimeter. The best way to improve output (assuming voltage drop is an issue) is to have the main and dipped beam running through relays. Don't be tempted to exceed the rated bulb wattage (55 / 60 watts). If you do (without relays being fitted) you will overload the circuit - the least you could do would be you'll burn out the headlamp switch, worse case scenario, an electrical fire starting behind the dash.

Get these items checked by a reputable garage (not what Nigerians call "rewire"wink. They're cheap for a reason - they're not qualified to be working on anything to do with an automobile.
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:39pm On Dec 01, 2012
9jacriip: I don't know what's wrong with my car head lights, they're not bright @ all and I hardly see anything at night - really scary. Though I've changed bulbs severally, still no difference - its lacking brightness. What can I do? Solutions please.

remember headlight got 2 stages dipped beam and high beam have you tried high beam ?

and also is the glass clean ?
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by captalex(m): 2:16am On Dec 02, 2012
I got new headlights but they don't offer much bright viewing distance at night.i think i would go with your suggestion of re-aiming them.
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by 9jacriip: 8:01am On Dec 02, 2012
Siena:

There are several factors that could account for dim headlamps.

1) Discoloured headlamp lenses.
2) Discoloured headlamp reflectors.
3) Incorrect headlamp aim.
4) Excessive voltage drop at wiring terminals.

a) Your headlamp lenses are plastic. These plastic lenses can tarnish over time, and become yellowish, with surface scratches. Take a look at these first, they should be clear, with no opaque (cloudy) appearance. If they are not clear, the only way out is replacement.

b) Your reflectors must be a clear silver. Most modern cars have plastic reflectors, with a silver treatment. Older models will be chrome-plated metal. Make sure your lenses have no cracks. If there's any way moisture can get into the units, the reflectors can dull, metal ones can have the chrome plating flake off, and the metal rust. Again, if this is the case, the only way out is replacement.

c) Headlamp aim is very important. If the headlamps are aimed too low, the beam won't travel very far, and will illuminate a very short distance at night, regardless of how bright they are. If aimed too high, there won't be any beam pattern to see from the driving seat at night, so I would look at this too. Hoes your car have a headlamp level adjuster on the dash? It should be set to 0 (zero) at all times, unless the rear is heavily loaded, then position 1 or 2 should be used.

d) If your headlamp wiring has corrosion, or is otherwise old, you'll get voltage drop. So you can get 10 - 11,5 volts at the bulb, instead of the average 12,5 - 14,4 volts with the engine running. You'll need a decent garage to check the voltage with a multimeter. The best way to improve output (assuming voltage drop is an issue) is to have the main and dipped beam running through relays. Don't be tempted to exceed the rated bulb wattage (55 / 60 watts). If you do (without relays being fitted) you will overload the circuit - the least you could do would be you'll burn out the headlamp switch, worse case scenario, an electrical fire starting behind the dash.

Get these items checked by a reputable garage (not what Nigerians call "rewire"wink. They're cheap for a reason - they're not qualified to be working on anything to do with an automobile.

Thanks a lot, I did a proper check on the lenses as well as reflector, there's discoloration already so I'd go with the option of replacement, thank you a lot. I do not have an idea of how much its sold for here in Naija, do you? Please?
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by 9jacriip: 8:03am On Dec 02, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

remember headlight got 2 stages dipped beam and high beam have you tried high beam ?

and also is the glass clean ?

Dipped beam and high beam keh? What's that? Maube you could explain? The glass isn't clean but not all that discoloured, quite OK. Some guy said I could get it washed or do you have an idea how much the whole thing is sold for?
Re: Every Car Techie On NL by SeyiJay(m): 11:58am On Dec 10, 2012
H-E-L-P!!! My lady drove my 1996 4Runner 4x4 with auto tranny a short distance, stopped briefly, shifted from P to D and... no response. Switched off engine awhile, switched on, engaged R, vehicle moved a bit and then stopped in the middle of the road. It has not worked since. Had the tranny fluid replaced, checked, and still nothing. Mechanic advised replacement. I don't want to believe this. Couldnt it be an electro-mechanical fault? what component(s) need to be replaced instead of the whole assembly? Siena, et all kindly advise...

(1) (Reply)

thank u / Gearbox Problems / Pls Help 1999 Passat V6 4motion Engine Overheats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.