Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria (2028 Views)

Picture Compilation Of Facts / Common French Words Used In English / UTME Use Of English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by AbdulFattah(m): 5:41am On Dec 02, 2012
A COMPILATION OF ENGLISH COLLOQUIALISMS USED IN NIGERIA

CLICK http://adekunleadebajo. TO VIEW! smiley

NIGERIAN EXPRESSIONS THAT SEEM ENGLISH BUT ARE NOT.

THIS IS A COMPILATION OF WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS COMMONLY USED BY NIGERIANS. THESE WORDS SEEM TO BE ENGLISH IN NATURE, BUT THEY [by THEY, I mean the meaning attached to them] ACTUALLY ARE NOT TRACEABLE TO THE ENGLISH VOCABULARY. SOME ARE INCORRECTLY USED, SOME ARE GIVEN DIFFERENT CONNOTATIONS, SOME ARE ANGLICISED NIGERIAN TERMS AND OTHERS DO NOT HAVE ENLISH ORIGINS BUT SEEM TO DO. MANY OF THESE WORDS ARE SLANGS, BUT SOME ARE NOT BECAUSE THE ARE USED IN FORMAL SETTINGS.
{PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DEFINITIONS USED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE EXTRACTED FROM THE MERRIAM-WEBSTER DICTIONARY}

Area: [noun] this is a usually metallic device for radiating or receiving radio waves. The appropriate substitute is antenna.
Example: Please change the bearing of the area, it’s not picking up any signal.

Big boy/Big girl: [noun] this is a pretty common Nigerian phrase that is used to refer to youths [teenagers and adolescents] that are gregarious, extroverted, proud and often well-to-do. These type of youths are usually singers, cyber-criminals and playboys.
Example: Don’t mind Tunde’s attitude, he’s a big boy now.

Cassava flakes: [noun] this is a Behind way of referring to the common garri [i.e. processed cassava soaked in water] drank in all parts of the country.

Chinko: [noun & adjective] this is used to refer to people who come from China, or products, especially mobile phones, that are ‘made in china’. In English, the
proper usage is without ‘o’ i.e. ‘chink’.
Example: I wouldn’t recommend that you buy a chinko.

Chop: [verb] this simply means to eat. But it can also mean to enjoy or maximise an opportunity to the fullest.
Example: Take me to a near-by restaurant, I want to chop before going to work.

Coded: [adjective] if something is coded, then it is either surreptitious or complicated. It is best known and understood by the speaker.
Example: My relationship with her is coded, and I don’t have to speak about it.

Collabo: [noun] this is an abbreviated form of the word ‘collaboration’. It is mostly used in the entertainment industry to mean partnership between musicians in the production of a song.
Example: The song is a product of the collabo between 9ice and Tu face.
Collabo [verb]; is to enter into partnership with someone, especially a singer. 2. It may also mean to make love with someone. tongue

Corper: [noun] a corper is someone who is serving the country through the NYSC [National Youth Service Corp] scheme. Most corpers are transferred from their state of residence to neighbouring or distant places to render near-free services to their motherland and to get more experience as well as exposure by so doing. Since, they are often trained and monitored by the military, the word probably has its origin in the army rank: corporal which is above a private first class and below a sergeant and in the marine corps, above a lance corporal and below a sergeant.
Example: The government is yet to pay the corpers in Oyo sate.

Doe: [noun] simply means money or cash.
Example: Gimme more doe, then we can discuss.

Environmental: [noun] a non-Nigerian might be confused when he hears that this word is a noun, not an adjective. Well, Nigerians make use of this word as a short-form of ‘environmental sanitation’, a monthly exercise in which people clean-up their houses and its surroundings, gathering the dirt for government to dispose.
Example: Please, when is the next environmental taking place?

Express: [noun] this word is erroneously used in Nigeria to mean a highway i.e. a wide road that connects two major cities, and is less trafficked.
Example: An accident is reported to have occurred on the express.

Face-towel: [noun] this is a small absorbent clothe used mainly for drying the face. We have hand towels, beach towels, kitchen towels, sanitary towels, tea towels but no face towels. The equivalent expression used in English countries in possibly towelette.
Example: I need to get face-towel, I’m sweating profusely.

Flash: [verb] this is in fact one of the most popular words that fall into this category. It means dialling a phone number, allowing it to ring and then intentionally end the call. Rather than use this word, variants such as phone, telephone, call, ring up and dial are more suitable as they can also mean an attempt to reach someone by phone, not necessarily having a conversation with that person. Notwithstanding, flash is still the most perfect word to use, a very nice innovation that fits into the current state of the economy. grin
Example: Don’t worry, when I get to your apartment, I will flash your number.

Fleet: [verb] to spray liquid substance from a container, most especially insecticide, into a particular place. I was surprised when I found that the word ‘fleet’, in actualty, does not mean this shocked.
Example: Make sure you fleet your room with ‘ota fia-fia’ before going to sleep.

Four-One-Nine/419: [noun] this is a felonious crime of obtaining title to another’s property by knowingly making false representations with the intention of defrauding the victim. It is known in legal parlance as false pretence. Most people use this word [419] without knowing the origin. Why is it 419 and not any other set of figures? This is because it is section 419 of the Criminal Code of the Federal Republic of Nigeria that states the meaning, criminality and sanction of this crime. Someone who commits this crime is liable to ‘imprisonment for three [3] years. cool
Example: Due to unemployment, everybody is now engaging in 419.
{note that this word may also refer to the person engaging in false pretence}

Globe: [noun] this is word that actually means a spherical representation of the earth, a celestial body, or the heavens. However, in Nigeria it is used to connote a lamp that is partially globe in shape. The apposite words to use in replace are ‘bulb’ or ‘lightbulb’.
Example: Please switch-off that globe, it’s consuming too much electricity.

Go-slow: [noun] in the English vocabulary, this means a slowdown or retardation in business, spread of a disease etc. However, it is used in Nigeria exclusively to mean a traffic jam in which there is slow movement of vehicles. See hold-up.
Example: I’m sorry for coming late, it is due to the go-slow along Lagos-Ibadan express way.

Hammer: [verb] if someone hammers, then he has just hit it big i.e. he has suddenly, sometimes unexpectedly, gained a huge sum of money. This may be as a result of participation in a contest, lottery or fraud.
Example: Everybody gets a free drink today, I just hammered big-time.

Hold-up: [noun] this is a traffic situation in which vehicles are temporarily [but for a long period of time] at a halt. Hardly is there any form of movement, as against go-slow in which there is movement, but a minimal rate.
Example: Please go on with the meeting, I am in a hold-up.

Jack: [verb] to jack is to study persistently for hours, most especially in preparation for an oncoming examination. It’s a common usage in the university environment. I recently learnt that there are different ways to it, such as MTN [from Morning Till Night], TDB [Till Day Break] and so on. It means, in English, to fish in the night using a jacklight, to raise the level of something or to take to task.
Example: Is it true Emeka fainted today as a result of excessive jacking?

Kobalise: [verb] this word has its root in the Yoruba expression ‘koba’ which was anglicised through the addition of ‘lise’. It means to expose a bitter truth or dark secret about someone, or what that person has done and prefers to remain undisclosed.
Example: Why did you kobalise the principal? Now the whole knows he’s having an affair with Mrs Johnson.

Machinery: [noun] a person whose professional services are employed and paid for, often illegally, by a group or organisation, especially in order to win a contest against another group or organisation. The closest word to this, in meaning, in the English vocabulary is mercenary.
Example: Their soccer team undoubtedly won because they hired skilful machineries.

Momcy/Momsy/Mumcy/Mumsy: [noun] this means mom. Synonyms include mother, ma, mama, mamma, momma, mammy, mommy and old lady.
Example: Momcy is about to be delivered of a baby boy.

On-point: [adjective] when something is on point, it is perfect for a purpose or for an occasion, and it needs no modification. Synonyms include spot-on, precise, exact, on-target, dead-on etc.
Example: Oh my God, that dressing is just on-point.
2. It may also serve the purpose of emphasis for a particular activity or event you are engaging in or you are planning to engage in.
Example: Wedding [things] on-point.

Palm: [noun] this is a type of foot-wear, made of rubber, leather or any thick material, which, unlike shoes and sandals, does not cover or support the heels/back side of the foot.
Example: A lot of my foot-wears are palms because they are very easy to put on.

Pant: [noun] this, in correct usage, means an outer garment covering each leg separately and usually extending from the waist to the ankle [usually used in plural just like ‘trousers’]. But in Nigeria, if you tell someone to take off his pants for an X-ray test, he will definitely be amazed and quizzical. This is because he considers the word to mean knickers or underpants.
Example: My most of my pants are size 42.

Player: [noun] a player is someone who flirts a lot, has many of girlfriends and is very promiscuous. It has a similar but not exact meaning of ‘playboy’.
Example: Didn’t you know Femi is player before you went ahead to date him?

Popcy/Popsy/Pop-man: [noun] simply means Dad. Synonyms include father, old man, pop, poppa, pa, papa and daddy. Also see Momsy.
Example: I’ll see popsy today concerning my school fees.

Runs: [noun] this means the process in which something is done or sought, perhaps examination, admission, youth service etc.
Example: How is school runs?
Runs [verb]; using an unlawful or inappropriate method to achieve success in a particular thing. The funny thing about this word is what you arrive at when you attempt to figure out the present continuous and future tenses. Do we say ‘runses’ or ‘runsed’?
Example: Did Tunde runs his UTME?

Shack: [verb] in the English vocabulary, it is a noun that means a hut, room or any similar enclosure. But in Nigeria, it is a variant of the word ‘drink’, only that it is mostly used for alcoholic substances.
Example: I hope you have something I can shack in here?

Slippers: [noun] or bathroom slippers: this is also a common usage in Nigeria. It is used in reference to foot-wears that are light, open and made of rubber. They are indoor wears that are mostly used in the bathroom while having a bath. The word does exist in the English vocabulary but it depicts a different type of foot-wear which is not open, not made of rubber and perhaps used while sleeping.
Example: Please get me a pair of slippers, I need to use the bathroom.

Tape-rule: [noun] this is a wrong variant of the words tape and tape-measure. It is a narrow strip of limp cloth or steel tape marked off in units, such as units or centimetres, for measuring.
Example: I cannot cut your cloth if I don’t have a tape-rule.

Things/Thingy: [noun] used to give emphasis to a particular activity
Example: Exam. things.

Behind:[noun & adjective] In England, this word means a long pointed tooth and is a slang for buttocks, but here in Nigeria it means something else, an expression or somebody that is classy.
Example: I love Whiz kid, the guy is just Behind.
Behind up [verb]; to fancy up an object or to become classier than before.
Example: Please Dad, try and Behind up a little. You can’t come to my convocation looking like that.

Yuppy: [noun] this is used to refer to a type of motorcycle, better known to Britons as Moped. I hardly see it again. If you want to know what it looks like, buy an Indian movie.
Example: Where did you get this yuppy? I didn’t know they still use these.

MORE COMING SOON !

CLICK http://adekunleadebajo. TO VIEW![color=#006600][/color] wink
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Emmyk(m): 5:50am On Dec 02, 2012
Geez! This stuff is too Long!
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by AbdulFattah(m): 5:52am On Dec 02, 2012
Emmyk: Geez! This stuff is too Long!

lol.
I'll try and space it ASAP for better comprehension.
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by AbdulFattah(m): 7:14am On Dec 02, 2012
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by AbdulFattah(m): 7:16am On Dec 02, 2012
PLEASE,
THIS ARTICLE IS STILL DEVELOPING, I INTEND TO INCLUDE MORE WORDS.
HENCE, IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTION, KINDLY SHARE IT.
THANKS!
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Caseless: 8:03am On Dec 02, 2012
Op, this piece is ON-POINT. it took me long to JACK it, but u have to BEHIND-UP to space it out.
My MUMCY and POPCY are suprised at the way i'm lolling right here. Anyway, make i CHOP my CASSAVA FLAKES first then comeback and continue reading this 'cos the signal seems poor becos of the bearing of AREA of my CHINKO fone.

I'm just passin this thread by ontop of an okada right on EXPRESS , so Op, do FLASH me when u are done spacing it.

SHACK one bottle of beer, op.

3 Likes

Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Caseless: 8:19am On Dec 02, 2012
Abdul Fattah: PLEASE,
THIS ARTICLE IS STILL DEVELOPING, I INTEND TO INCLUDE MORE WORDS.
HENCE, IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTION, KINDLY SHARE IT.
THANKS!
to have a haircut=berb my hair

SAY ME HI TO UR PARENTS

MAMA-PUT=LOCAL RESTAURANT

Jazz=charm, talisma, magical or spiritual power(depending on how it is applied).

1 Like

Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Lagusta(m): 8:49am On Dec 02, 2012
I don't understand the "behind".... I m sure the mods censored a word....
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Caseless: 9:04am On Dec 02, 2012
Lagusta: I don't understand the "behind".... I m sure the mods censored a word....
na so me ma see am ooo..anyway, i don use am create sentence sha.
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by AbdulFattah(m): 9:34am On Dec 02, 2012
caseless: Op, this piece is ON-POINT. it took me long to JACK it, but u have to BEHIND-UP to space it out.
My MUMCY and POPCY are suprised at the way i'm lolling right here. Anyway, make i CHOP my CASSAVA FLAKES first then comeback and continue reading this 'cos the signal seems poor becos of the bearing of AREA of my CHINKO fone.

I'm just passin this thread by ontop of an okada right on EXPRESS , so Op, do FLASH me when u are done spacing it.

SHACK one bottle of beer, op.

Wow!
Actually, I already double-spaced it. I even placed indentations, but my brower (opera mini) still muddles everything together.
However, when I used Dolphin browser, it was okay and well-spaced. If you use a PC, same thing.

To solve the problem, kindly visit the link to my blog [ http://adekunleadebajo./2012/11/30/a-compilation-of-english-colloquialisms-in-nigeria/ ]. It's very nice there. I even bolded and italicised some aspects for easy reading.

Thanks!
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by AbdulFattah(m): 9:35am On Dec 02, 2012
caseless: to have a haircut=berb my hair

SAY ME HI TO UR PARENTS

MAMA-PUT=LOCAL RESTAURANT

Jazz=charm, talisma, magical or spiritual power(depending on how it is applied).

Thanks bro.
NOTED!
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Caseless: 10:27am On Dec 02, 2012
Abdul Fattah:

Wow!
Actually, I already double-spaced it. I even placed indentations, but my brower (opera mini) still muddles everything together.
However, when I used Dolphin browser, it was okay and well-spaced. If you use a PC, same thing.

To solve the problem, kindly visit the link to my blog [ http://adekunleadebajo./2012/11/30/a-compilation-of-english-colloquialisms-in-nigeria/ ]. It's very nice there. I even bolded and italicised some aspects for easy reading.

Thanks!
i understand....
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Caseless: 10:28am On Dec 02, 2012
Abdul Fattah:

Thanks bro.
NOTED!
u are welcom, bro!
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by Lagusta(m): 11:28am On Dec 02, 2012
Mr. Abdulfattah... U still haven't answered my question now!!!
Re: A Compilation Of English Colloquialisms Used In Nigeria by AbdulFattah(m): 2:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
Lagusta: Mr. Abdulfattah... U still haven't answered my question now!!!

Sorry please.
I didn't know t'was directed to me. Actually, I don't understand....Are you asking if "behind-up" is omitted in the write-up?
If yes, then I didn't include it in the first place.. so the mods had no hand in it.

(1) (Reply)

Masters In Environmental Management Course Information Unilag. / 10 Elite Nigerian Universities And Their UK/US Equivalents / Strange & Scary Facts About Death You Probably Didn’t Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.