Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,037 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

“labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency (3674 Views)

Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? / Labaran Maku Hits Back At David Mark, Ahmadu Ali Through A Press Statement / Nasarawa APGA Guber Candidate, Labaran Maku Canvasses Support For Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by dapachez: 8:29am On Dec 03, 2012
“Labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency..
The activities surrounding the renewed attempt by the office of the presidency in showcasing the good administrative efforts of the Goodluck Jonathan administration via the Good Governance Tour under the auspices of the Federal Ministry of Information may have opened a Pandora’s Box that may spell doom for the continued stay of the Information Minister at the Information Ministry.

Information available to 247ureports.com obtained through a top sensitive source within the Presidency reveals the uncloaked perception of Mr. President towards some of the Federal Executive Cabinet members – particularly the Federal Minister of Information, Malam Labaran Maku. The source who is a national player in party politics of the Peoples Democratic Party [PDP] quotes the President as saying that Labaran Maku as the “most corrupt Federal Minister” following a brief ‘behind-closed-door’ discussion between the source and Mr. President recently.

From discussions with the President, the source understood that the President was livid over the ill performance of the Good Governance Tour – in terms of the limited waves/impact made in the print and electronic media. It was learnt that Mr. President was elated over the idea of a Good Governance Tour when it was initially proposed at the Federal Executive Council meeting by the Information Minister – partly because the Tour would enable uplift a fast dwindling political currency. Mr. President was also pleased the Tour was suggested by a former Information Minister, Jerry Gana.

Pleased with the prospects of having a Tour to showcase the developmental strides of the federal government – of which may result to a good ‘Public Relations’ job for the president, Mr. President immediately bought into the idea – and tapped his men to help make available the necessary logistics to facilitate the Tour. The Information Minister was given the go ahead – along with the authority to approach the various Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies for financial support – and a list of their various projects. The information Minister also approached each state governor for the same.

But with roughly over one month into the tour exercise, the initial elation felt by the President evaporated as the media headlines appear to have not carried the efforts in the manner he [presidency] thought was fitting. “The president was disappointed at the exercise”. Specifically, according to another source within the presidency, the president thought that with the monies raised for the Tour – that the Honorable Minister should have been able to ‘force’ the findings of the Tour into the Headlines of many Newspapers or Magazines. Rather, the Honorable Minister opted to focus primarily on federal government owed media houses for the dissemination of the Tour findings and developments. Of which our source indicates the President was grossly unimpressed.

On the part of the reporters – who had tagged along the entourage of the Tour – as official selected reporters to report on the findings along the Tour – the matter appears uneasy.

The reporters, according to the Tour details, were selected from a wide variety of media houses and embedded with the Tour. They were to receive a daily allowance of N100,000 from the Ministry of Information. Also, to augment their daily allowance, the reporters expected to receive monetized goodwill messages from the various State Governors following the completion of each State tour. But the reporters have yet to receive the monetized messages – of which 247ureports.com gathered were regularly given to aides to the Information Minister for onward transmission to the Minister. But the Information Minister hoards the money without distributing the monies to the Reporters. As a result, the Reporters remain unhappy.

But the Director of Press at the Ministry of Information, Mr. Dama disagrees. In a text message to 247ureports.com, he termed the allegation against the Information Minister false and untrue.

In his words, “There is no truth in these allegations. Mr. Labaran is prudent with the good governance tour expenditure and no reporter has been short changed as alleged. All reporters are being paid their duty tour allowances as and when due as we went on the tour. You can call any one of them on tour team and they will confirm that to you. Again the allegation that the presidency is unimpressed is equally not true. This is because Labaran briefed the Federal Executive Council on the tour two weeks ago and it was adjudged to be good. If the presidency has found any fault with the good governance tour it would have said so and even be reflected on their resolutions for last week that he briefed council but nothing of such was reflected. Please ignore all the lies being spread about the good governance tour. We are ready to open up our books for you to see please”.

Meanwhile, preliminary investigation carried out by our correspondent indicates the Information Ministry to be administered under a less prudent administrator. Our investigation showed the Information Minister as a familiar player in the art of funds misappropriation. Specifically, the 2011 budget for the Information Ministry earmarked N65.68million for upkeep of Utilities at the Main Ministry, it earmarked N261.6million for Maintenance, N69.1million for Other Services, and N5.4million for Repairs – totaling to a grand total of N401.9million for building maintenance and upkeep. However a visual inspection of the building facility [both external and internal] shows a disparity – a structured disparity.

See below for enclosed photographs depicting the disparity in earmarked funds and the dilapidated utilities and associated structures

.Read more! http:///JB5ZNvUh
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by k2039: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2012
Why has the presidency not probed or sacked him,it just goes to show the typical case of kettle calling pot black.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by taharqa: 9:36am On Dec 03, 2012
k2039: Why has the presidency not probed or sacked him,it just goes to show the typical case of kettle calling pot black.
If you bliv dis stori, then you are almost as foo.lish as the writer of dis fiction. Almost i said
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by taharqa: 9:37am On Dec 03, 2012
Hahahaha...anyways, thanks @OP for a good morning treat
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Bukkyade: 10:18am On Dec 03, 2012
The most ridiculous story ever. The reporter couldn't even tell us any figure behind the imaginary scam.
He said "that he cornered 100 thousand Naira" so so ridiculous.
I wanted to hear that the minister is enmeshed in 50 billion Naira scam or something. But there was nothing like that.
He also left 2012 budget to attack 2011 budget which was obviously prepared by Akunyili as the then information minister.
This is just coc.k and B.ull story

2 Likes

Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Arobam: 10:24am On Dec 03, 2012
The person who wrote this deserves to be flogged. What does he take Nigerians for? Gullible fools or something?
He is obviously part of the tour from what he wrote. He betrayed his grouse in the 7 th paragraph over his seeming inability to collect " Monetised goodwill message"

These journalist must learn to appreciate that the days of brown envelope journalism are almost over.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Mandelaguy(m): 10:31am On Dec 03, 2012
This is a pathetic piece. The Honourable minister has an impeccable reputation and is a man of character. These allegations are baseless and malicious.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Mekusnwa: 10:43am On Dec 03, 2012
dapachez:

In his words, “There is no Specifically, the 2011 budget for the Information Ministry earmarked N65.68million for upkeep of Utilities at the Main Ministry, it earmarked N261.6million for Maintenance, N69.1million for Other Services, and N5.4million for Repairs – totaling to a grand total of N401.9million for building maintenance and upkeep. However a visual inspection of the building facility [both external and internal] shows a disparity – a structured disparity.

See below for enclosed photographs depicting the disparity in earmarked funds and the dilapidated utilities and associated structures

.Read more! http:///JB5ZNvUh

grin grin grin it is not hard to know a fake report. This is obviously one of them. Look at the way he is talking about Maku earmarking this and that in 2011 budget. He seeks to create the mischievous impression that Maku inflated those figures in the budget in order to misappropriate them thereafter.
But there is strong evidence and as many have said here that Akunyili was the main Minister of Information as at the time of preparation of 2011 budget.
This is just an attempt to give a dog a bad name inorder to hang it.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by divatosin(f): 11:02am On Dec 03, 2012
First, this is a very laughable move to discredit the National Good Governance which we all have been following on Nairaland and which has served as a potent yardstick for the measurement of Govt's performance in all states. I'm one of those who support the present Minister's approach to information disemination. He is not one that makes noise or sings jingles and propaganda like the infamous rebranding project of his predecessors.

He is having Nigerians experience new frontiers in the art of information dissemination. Earlier in the year, Maku started with Ministerial platform which offered us an opportunity to assess each minister on their performance.
Everyday, each minister was made to give an account of their stewardship to the public and the programme was aired live on major TV Channels. It was a pragmatic approach that also gave the audience an opportunity to ask questions and exchange views with their ministers. I recall that I learnt of the YOUWIN project during that programme. It was also during that session that a suspected bomber was apprehended at the gate of the venue.

Then came this National Media tour or whatever. At first, I had reservations over the tour because I considered it premature. But Having followed the tour on Nairaland and watched both the Nassarawa and Plateau town hall meetings, I was impressed with the tour. Nothing could be more innovative of an Information Minister.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Mallamabdul: 11:21am On Dec 03, 2012
Arobam: The person who wrote this deserves to be flogged. What does he take Nigerians for? Gullible fools or something?
He is obviously part of the tour from what he wrote. He betrayed his grouse in the 7 th paragraph over his seeming inability to collect " Monetised goodwill message"

These journalist must learn to appreciate that the days of brown envelope journalism are almost over.

Exactly my thoughts too. You could just sense his frustrations in the report. Maybe he was expecting to reap a gold mine from the tour hence his disappointment that Maku is not doling out "Monetised goodwill messages" as usual. These journalists are just mercenaries. I pity them.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by banki(m): 11:22am On Dec 03, 2012
Mandelaguy: This is a pathetic piece. The Honourable minister has an impeccable reputation and is a man of character. These allegations are baseless and malicious.

I wonder what you mean by impeccable reputation a man of character..... The same man that was deputy governnor to Abdulahi Adamu for four years and virtually did nothing but share Nassarawa states meagre resource and turn the state into debt crises.

The same character of a man who was known as an sug president in University of JOs AND campaigned against policies he now supports because he is chopping?

The story by the op doesnt make sense, but any attempt to make labaran maku look like a saint should be nipped in the bud, besides why did they stop the good governanc tour, why have they not visited all the states, they should show us good governance in maiduguri, Damaturu etc those places are part of nigeria, and they should and must go by road.... they should go to lokoja, and edo state during the raining season, then they should face east and head for anambara through Delta, then to enugu then to imo and abia by road, then they would know if nigerians believe governments bull shit.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by takedat(m): 11:29am On Dec 03, 2012
banki:

I wonder what you mean by impeccable reputation a man of character..... The same man that was deputy governnor to Abdulahi Adamu for four years and virtually did nothing but share Nassarawa states meagre resource and turn the state into debt crises.

The same character of a man who was known as an sug president in University of JOs AND campaigned against policies he now supports because he is chopping?

The story by the op doesnt make sense, but any attempt to make labaran maku look like a saint should be nipped in the bud, besides why did they stop the good governanc tour, why have they not visited all the states, they should show us good governance in maiduguri, Damaturu etc those places are part of nigeria, and they should and must go by road.... they should go to lokoja, and edo state during the raining season, then they should face east and head for anambara through Delta, then to enugu then to imo and abia by road, then they would know if nigerians believe governments bull shit.
Bros why you come dey open the guy yansh so? Seriouly I am yet to define the role of Maku in this government as most of his duties have been taken over by Abati and Okupe.

1 Like

Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Dollarman101: 11:35am On Dec 03, 2012
Nothing wey person no go see on Nairaland. Somebody will just wake up in the morning and conjure up stories from junky sites. I just tire.
We know of Saharareporters and their twin brothers -premiumtimes but which one is 247u reports again? grin I'm laughing in Ibibio.
This people no go kill person with thier pooh news.
Imagine the useless and empty story. He wasnt even intelligent enough to fabricate a sizeable amount of money to make it real. What is 100,000 Naira for a minister to embezzle? Very toxic report
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Mandelaguy(m): 11:56am On Dec 03, 2012
banki:

Mr Man, if there is anything you can't take away from Labaran Maku, it is his integrity. I was seeking admission in UNIJOS at the twilight of his stint as SUG President. He was a dogged students Union activist. He commanded the respect and admiration of all students then. He was almost like a hero to all Josites in those dark days of Military rule.
Maku had the courage to confront the then Military government and was at the vanguard of several NAN'S struggles. His reputation in students union activism earned him a place in the pro democracy struggles as he became a vocal critic of military rule as a staff of Champion newspapers.

You said he did not do anything as Deputy Governor to Abdullahi Adamu. How many Deputy Governors in Nigeria did anything? Even a toddler in Nigerian politics appreciates the limitations of that office. A deputy Governor in Nigeria is merely ceremonial and can at best be an errand boy to his OGA. That nothwitstanding, I have watched Maku entertain questions on his tenure as Deputy. I remember particularly how he said that he moved a memo at SEC meeting proposing the establishment of Nassarawa State University. He gave a vivid account of how he struggled thru thick and thin to set up the university and today, the University is running and producing graduates.

Always try to be more matured in your criticisms. Go out of your way to google people's background before coming to yab on a forum like this.
Im happy you admitted that the report is rubbish. Isn't it testamentary of Maku's wholesome integrity that the reporter could not find something substantial to accuse him of?
At a time when Ministers are being linked with massive corruption running into billions, the only allegation that they could throw at Maku is that he failed to pay a journalist 100 thousand Naira as proceeds from an imaginary monetization of goodwill messages from State Governors visited.
That tells you a lot about the Integrity of Maku.

1 Like

Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Puntae: 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2012
A mal-nourished chalatan, suffering from a disease known as idiocy... Reading through this baseless piece, I cud only picture the face of a r.e.t.a.r.d who toll the line of the Saharas'.
People now forgets that facts speaks for itself; the Good Governance Tour is indeed a fact which speaks positive volumes of the good works of the Hon. Minister.
I believe this Chalatan, holds a grudge on the development of this Nation. A retard who probably derives joy from negativity... Lo and behold ye demon, I cast you back into the pit of hell!
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by taharqa: 12:31pm On Dec 03, 2012
Plz can any of u here provide me a link to any of the guys in d media team of d president. Really important cos there are things am astonishd aren't happening ...
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Nonnyz: 12:47pm On Dec 03, 2012
LMAO! Pls who is this dude? He must be suffering from FRUSTRATION and DEPRESSION. Well, am not suprised, after all we live in a country where a tout can jux wake up in the morning and post SHI.T as comment jux to catch fun with 'him/her-self'... Shior!!!
The queries represented in this stained piece, re indeed lies and fictitious...
From your un-disclosed source in the Presidency down to your myopic knowledge of the implementation of the 2011 budget, goes to further clarify the level of ur ill health...
...and at this juncture, I extend my sympathy to you and therefor wish u a speedy recovery from your present state of dillusion.
Mr. Labaran Maku is indeed a man to emulate, his giant strides to an effective leadership can not be contend with.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Nonnyz: 1:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
Bukkyade: The most ridiculous story ever. The reporter couldn't even tell us any figure behind the imaginary scam.
He said "that he cornered 100 thousand Naira" so so ridiculous.
I wanted to hear that the minister is enmeshed in 50 billion Naira scam or something. But there was nothing like that.
He also left 2012 budget to attack 2011 budget which was obviously prepared by Akunyili as the then information minister.
This is just coc.k and B.ull story
So ridiculous indeed. Like I said, I believe this piece was born out of Frustration and Depression, obviously, the writer must have taken adrenaline induce substance like Coke or SK, which resulted to writing this triviality. Totally, his representation of falseness sold him out and made a mess of this unbelievable piece.
Nigerians re now better observant to polity and can tell who errs...
Mallam Maku, remains a man of repute...
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by banki(m): 1:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
Mandelaguy:

Mr Man, if there is anything you can't take away from Labaran Maku, it is his integrity. I was seeking admission in UNIJOS at the twilight of his stint as SUG President. He was a dogged students Union activist. He commanded the respect and admiration of all students then. He was almost like a hero to all Josites in those dark days of Military rule.
Maku had the courage to confront the then Military government and was at the vanguard of several NAN'S struggles. His reputation in students union activism earned him a place in the pro democracy struggles as he became a vocal critic of military rule as a staff of Champion newspapers.

You said he did not do anything as Deputy Governor to Abdullahi Adamu. How many Deputy Governors in Nigeria did anything? Even a toddler in Nigerian politics appreciates the limitations of that office. A deputy Governor in Nigeria is merely ceremonial and can at best be an errand boy to his OGA. That nothwitstanding, I have watched Maku entertain questions on his tenure as Deputy. I remember particularly how he said that he moved a memo at SEC meeting proposing the establishment of Nassarawa State University. He gave a vivid account of how he struggled thru thick and thin to set up the university and today, the University is running and producing graduates.

Always try to be more matured in your criticisms. Go out of your way to google people's background before coming to yab on a forum like this.
Im happy you admitted that the report is rubbish. Isn't it testamentary of Maku's wholesome integrity that the reporter could not find something substantial to accuse him of?
At a time when Ministers are being linked with massive corruption running into billions, the only allegation that they could throw at Maku is that he failed to pay a journalist 100 thousand Naira as proceeds from an imaginary monetization of goodwill messages from State Governors visited.
That tells you a lot about the Integrity of Maku.

My goodness wonder what you mean by more maturein my critisim? so am immature by saying makus is not a man of intergrity? So maku wants to take credit for nassarawa state university? how sick that one is a LIE FROM THE PIT OF HELL, I maintain that HE WAS PART OF THE ROT IN NASSARAWA and i am not taking that back, so if his role as deputy governor was not significant what was he now doing in the state executive council, and just incase you dont know he was the deputy governor between 2003 and 2007. Nassarawa state university had started issuing degrees in year 2000/2001.

OK another person says he is indeed a man to emulate, someone who told nigerians that we should be greatful that GEJ BROUGHT FACEBOOK TO NIGERIA or would you deny he said that?

You guys are just sychophants
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Naijagunner83: 1:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
A totally rubbish article written by a rubbish writer and published by a rubbish online tabloid called 247. The only 247 I know is a joint at area 11. You guys should get a life
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Mandelaguy(m): 2:39pm On Dec 03, 2012
@banki,
It's so unfortunate that you have decided to begrudge Maku just for nothing sake. I never said he moved the SEC motion for establishment of the state university as deputy Governor.
He did that as a commissioner in that cabinet. He was a commissioner before he became deputy Governor.
The issue is, whether as commissioner or deputy governor, he is still the same Maku.
You cant take away the credit due to him. It contradicts your allegations that he did nothing under Abdullahi Adamu.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by banki(m): 4:50pm On Dec 03, 2012
@mandela guy,i wouldnt want to join issues with you and i maintain that LABARAN MAKU was part of the CORRUPT VERY VERY CORRRUPT Abdulahi Adamu administration that destroyed nassarawa states finances, and sold almost all government properties to thier principal, they were all part of it and I have first hand information.

I Also challenged you and the rest of the people on the good governnace tour to criss cross nigeria by road, you guys started by going to states like nassarawa and benue and delibrately avoided the real people,and stopped in jos, you guys did not go round any of this states, you would have just used the oturkpo road in Benue to link enugu so you know that nigerians are not fools.

Its saddens me that people like you come online to let people believe that all is well because you stand to gain a couple of millions but posterity would judge all of you....
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Elueme: 6:26pm On Dec 03, 2012
Nigerian journalists and propaganda. Chei! . I have always expected that one rabble groussing journalist paid agent or jobless free lancer was gonna come up with something like this someday. Every project embarked upon by government is either attracting one propaganda or the other because we are in the habit of mudslinging and damaging people's public perception. As regards the 2011 budget, it lies on the doorstep of Akunyili . However, said, I know Maku can be able to defend himself on this new fallacy from never to do well, biased and parochial yellow journalism by propagandists if the report is even worth a news.

2 Likes

Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Mandelaguy(m): 6:28pm On Dec 03, 2012
banki: @mandela guy,i wouldnt want to join issues with you and i maintain that LABARAN MAKU was part of the CORRUPT VERY VERY CORRRUPT Abdulahi Adamu administration that destroyed nassarawa states finances, and sold almost all government properties to thier principal, they were all part of it and I have first hand information.

I Also challenged you and the rest of the people on the good governnace tour to criss cross nigeria by road, you guys started by going to states like nassarawa and benue and delibrately avoided the real people,and stopped in jos, you guys did not go round any of this states, you would have just used the oturkpo road in Benue to link enugu so you know that nigerians are not fools.

Its saddens me that people like you come online to let people believe that all is well because you stand to gain a couple of millions but posterity would judge all of you....

My friend, stop confusing issues and face facts. It's funny how you turn logic on its head just to attack Maku. There's no collective responsibility for crime. So you sound ridiculous when you accuse Maku for being part of a corrupt govt. no body goes to jail on account of a crime committed by others.

The fact that some people were corrupt in AbdulAhi Adamu's administration does not make Maku guilty. You should know this. The administration in question was investigated by EFCC. The ex Governor, Abdulahi Adamu, was apprehended alongside others and charged to court. As we speak, that case is still goin on. Maku was neither indicted nor charged by EFCC for corruption.
This is clear evidence of Maku's integrity and wholesome trackrecord in public service. It also reinforces my earlier assertions.

I laughed out my buttocks when you added me to the tour. I wish it could come to pass immediately. It will be nice to enjoy the convoy, hotel lodgings and paparazzi rather than waste my time following the event on Nairaland and twitter.
The problem with most of you is that you don't bother to read newspapers or even watch news on TV. You are stuck on Nairaland like a robot for 24 hours. So you are not properly informed.
I will advice you to add @FMINigeria on twitter for updates on the tour.

It is not true that the tour started with Nassarawa and Benue. The tour actually started with Abuja, Kwara, Niger, Plateau before Benue and Nassarawa. Information on the tour is available on the National Good Governance tour threads on Nairaland. I followed it seriously so I know.

You also goofed big time when you asked them to cross cross by road. They have been doing that along in all the states visited. At the Kwara town hall meeting which I watched live on NTA, Maku was praised by speakers for passing through the Jebba road to Ilorin.

The Benue-Oturkpo road you mentioned was visited by the Minister. The pictures are on Nairaland. Google it. Stop broadcasting falsehood on social media platforms. Posterity will not forgive you for Misleading the public with lies.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Elueme: 7:11pm On Dec 03, 2012
banki: @mandela guy,i wouldnt want to join issues with you and i maintain that LABARAN MAKU was part of the CORRUPT VERY VERY CORRRUPT Abdulahi Adamu administration that destroyed nassarawa states finances, and sold almost all government properties to thier principal, they were all part of it and I have first hand information.

You seem to be betraying much emotions with Maku. Are you from Nasarawa state? That may be explainable. But my interactions with some nasarawans suggest he is one of the would have performed governors had he been given the opportunity. From his antecedent as a student union/ civil liberty activist, if governance can change him then you can be worst when entrusted with power. In essence, we must not always be pessimistic about everybody in government because of the popular belief that our leaders are corrupt. I believe in his credibility.

2 Likes

Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Countryman93: 7:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
A write up of this subjective pedigree does not deserve the effort of a response let alone the time and energy of critical analysis. I will try to resist the teptation of doing that. We have followed the developments of this administration and we do know authoritatively that there are a few exceptions to the general opinion of the masses on curruption in the land. Whoever did the rating or mathematics that produced the result that Maku is the most corrupt minister is either prejudiced, uninformed or labouring under some influence that is born malafide. Come to think of it, this minister of information from records available which any genuine journalist can verify has one of the cleanest records as Long as public office holding in NIgeria is concerned. In fact , it is proper to see him as the saving face of this administration at the moment. He has demonstrated clearly his effort to ensure that NIgerians get to enjoy the dividends of democracy. It will be an error of judgement for any well meaning individual to misrepresent the Good Governance Tour which was born out of a good intention as an avenue for curruption. I understand that it is not possible to please everyone, however, Nigerians have expressed their support for the loud able programme. Infact, some contractors have had their contracts terminated for non performance as a result of this tour.i love my country and to be very honest , this pull him down syndrome is unhelpful. I wish we unite and forge a common course for the prosperity our people and develop the proper attitude for progress
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by Vogue50: 8:05pm On Dec 03, 2012
Quite funny ,Quivering Governors at work ! They are trying to use social media - platforms to discredit the Good Governance Tour exercise due to non performance in their respective states. Unfortunately for them ,this cheap blackmail won't thrive ! The tour must continue to expose non performing Governors ; whose trepidation has risen rapidly since the Tour commenced . I cant wait to witness the Good Governance Tour exercise in Abia State.
I applaud the minister for information , Labaran Maku , and see no reason why Nigerians shouldn't commend him . Yet , people are fabricating false stories to undermine his unprecedented efforts and initiative.
Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by ANALIST: 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2012
“Labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency..
The activities surrounding the renewed attempt by the office of the presidency in showcasing the good administrative efforts of the Goodluck Jonathan administration via the Good Governance Tour under the auspices of the Federal Ministry of Information may have opened a Pandora’s Box that may spell doom for the continued stay of the Information Minister at the Information Ministry.

Information available to 247ureports.com obtained through a top sensitive source within the Presidency reveals the uncloaked perception of Mr. President towards some of the Federal Executive Cabinet members – particularly the Federal Minister of Information, Malam Labaran Maku. The source who is a national player in party politics of the Peoples Democratic Party [PDP] quotes the President as saying that Labaran Maku as the “most corrupt Federal Minister” following a brief ‘behind-closed-door’ discussion between the source and Mr. President recently.

From discussions with the President, the source understood that the President was livid over the ill performance of the Good Governance Tour – in terms of the limited waves/impact made in the print and electronic media. It was learnt that Mr. President was elated over the idea of a Good Governance Tour when it was initially proposed at the Federal Executive Council meeting by the Information Minister – partly because the Tour would enable uplift a fast dwindling political currency. Mr. President was also pleased the Tour was suggested by a former Information Minister, Jerry Gana.

Pleased with the prospects of having a Tour to showcase the developmental strides of the federal government – of which may result to a good ‘Public Relations’ job for the president, Mr. President immediately bought into the idea – and tapped his men to help make available the necessary logistics to facilitate the Tour. The Information Minister was given the go ahead – along with the authority to approach the various Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies for financial support – and a list of their various projects. The information Minister also approached each state governor for the same.

But with roughly over one month into the tour exercise, the initial elation felt by the President evaporated as the media headlines appear to have not carried the efforts in the manner he [presidency] thought was fitting. “The president was disappointed at the exercise”. Specifically, according to another source within the presidency, the president thought that with the monies raised for the Tour – that the Honorable Minister should have been able to ‘force’ the findings of the Tour into the Headlines of many Newspapers or Magazines. Rather, the Honorable Minister opted to focus primarily on federal government owed media houses for the dissemination of the Tour findings and developments. Of which our source indicates the President was grossly unimpressed.

On the part of the reporters – who had tagged along the entourage of the Tour – as official selected reporters to report on the findings along the Tour – the matter appears uneasy.

The reporters, according to the Tour details, were selected from a wide variety of media houses and embedded with the Tour. They were to receive a daily allowance of N100,000 from the Ministry of Information. Also, to augment their daily allowance, the reporters expected to receive monetized goodwill messages from the various State Governors following the completion of each State tour. But the reporters have yet to receive the monetized messages – of which 247ureports.com gathered were regularly given to aides to the Information Minister for onward transmission to the Minister. But the Information Minister hoards the money without distributing the monies to the Reporters. As a result, the Reporters remain unhappy.

But the Director of Press at the Ministry of Information, Mr. Dama disagrees. In a text message to 247ureports.com, he termed the allegation against the Information Minister false and untrue.

In his words, “There is no truth in these allegations. Mr. Labaran is prudent with the good governance tour expenditure and no reporter has been short changed as alleged. All reporters are being paid their duty tour allowances as and when due as we went on the tour. You can call any one of them on tour team and they will confirm that to you. Again the allegation that the presidency is unimpressed is equally not true. This is because Labaran briefed the Federal Executive Council on the tour two weeks ago and it was adjudged to be good. If the presidency has found any fault with the good governance tour it would have said so and even be reflected on their resolutions for last week that he briefed council but nothing of such was reflected. Please ignore all the lies being spread about the good governance tour. We are ready to open up our books for you to see please”.

Meanwhile, preliminary investigation carried out by our correspondent indicates the Information Ministry to be administered under a less prudent administrator. Our investigation showed the Information Minister as a familiar player in the art of funds misappropriation. Specifically, the 2011 budget for the Information Ministry earmarked N65.68million for upkeep of Utilities at the Main Ministry, it earmarked N261.6million for Maintenance, N69.1million for Other Services, and N5.4million for Repairs – totaling to a grand total of N401.9million for building maintenance and upkeep. However a visual inspection of the building facility [both external and internal] shows a disparity – a structured disparity.

GIVE ME BREAK, IT IS EASY TO ACCUSE BUT DIFFICULT TO PROVE. I MUST BEG MY FELLOW COMMENTATORS AND GOOD PEOPLE OF NIGERIA TO JOIN ME AS I REVIEW WHAT THE AUTHOR, PIPER-PAYER AND EXPECTED BUT FAILED CONSEQUENCE WOULD HAVE BEEN IF WE WERE NOT WISER THAN THE CROOKS THAT MADE THIS UNSCRUPULOUS AND PREPOSTEROUS ALLEGATION.

1 Like

Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by cvejikeme1yaho(f): 12:09am On Dec 04, 2012
It is quite unfortunate and highly disheartening that someone could steal out precious time to cook up such unwarranted fallacy! I wonder how much the writer of this piece was paid to do this. Surely if anyone could come up with these kind of thoughts about Mr. Maku, then he is capable of selling his own mother for a penny.

1 Like

Re: “labaran Maku, Most Corrupt Federal Minister” – Presidency by SOHKAHTOA: 8:08am On Dec 04, 2012
Shame to poorly scripted and articulated article, meant to deride a perceived element of change. The aim of this tour should be wholistically perused and hence, the need to applaud it . Some governors will either be happy for this sham or they are direct accomplice in trying to discredit this expository initiative by Maku. However, the national good governance tour was not meant to judge governors by the FG but to showcase some of the government projects across the country so to inspire hopes again. But I as a Nigerian will use the opportunity to know who is performing and who is not Including ministries and agencies. At times, I feel ill fated journalism is part of our problems as a country.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of The New N100 Centenary Note / MASSOB Launches Biafran Currency, Vehicle Number Plates, Drivers Licence In Ower / Chris Olukolade Is Monitoring What People Are Saying On Twitter About GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.