Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Clarification On Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Clarification On Lagos (1370 Views)

Clarification On Section 140 (2) And 141 Of Electoral Act 2010 / Clarification On NON Essential Military Check Point Removal / President Jonathan's National Identity Card (For Age Clarification Rumour) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clarification On Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 8:44am On Dec 06, 2012
This post is created to give clarification and help resolve confusion around the status of Eko (Lagos Island). There are misunderstandings in the public domain and it will not be denied that a covetous culture exist with those enamored with the specious landscape, the aesthetics and elements of Eko.

In this post I assign timelines around the political markers of the successive administrative eras between 1861 till date. I begin the post with the indigenous rulers, followed by the Bini rulers, followed by the international alliances and trade, then followed by the war, followed by the treaty, the colony of Lagos, the 1906 amalgamation, the 1914 amalgamation, followed by the matrix and the axis, followed by the political turbulence of 50s, then the Independence, the Republic, the failed ambition to seize Lagos, the failed ambition to own Lagos, the clamour for Lagos, it will be capped with the propaganda to own or destroy Lagos.

stay tuned....
Re: Clarification On Lagos by joeyfire(m): 9:25am On Dec 06, 2012
I've never seen a man so dedicated to spinning cheap pulp ethnic conspiracy theories and farting them into cyberspace for consumption by an anaemic mob of shallow unemployed bigots. Ride on!
Re: Clarification On Lagos by DuduNegro: 9:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
naptu2: [size=14pt]Lagos Treaty of Cessation (1861)[/size]

TREATY WITH LAGOS 1861

Treaty between Norman B. Bedingfield, commander of Her Majesty’s ship “PROMETHEUS” and Senior Officer of the Bights division and William M’coskry esquire, her Britannic Majesty’s acting consul on the part of Her Majesty the Queen of Great Britain and Dosunmu, Oba of Lagos on the part of himself and chiefs.

ARTICLE I

In order that the Queen of England may be the better enabled to assist, defend and protect the inhabitants of Lagos and to put an end to slave trade in this land and the neighbouring countries and to prevent the destructive wars so frequently undertaken by Dahomey and others for the capture of slaves, I, Dosunmu, do with the consent and advice of my council, give, transfer and by this presents grants and confirm into the Queen of Britain, her heirs and successors for ever, the port and Island of Lagos, with all the rights, profits, territories and appurtenances whatsoever, thereto belonging and as well the profits and revenues as the direct, full and absolute dominion and sovereignity of the said port, Island and premises, with all the royalties thereof, freely, fully, entirely and absolutely.

I do also covenant and grant that the quiet and peaceable possession thereof shall, with all possible speed, be freely and effectually delivered to the Queen of Great Britain or such person as her Majesty shall there unto appoint for her use in the performance of this grant, the inhabitants of the said Island and territories, as the Queen’s subjects and under her sovereignty, Crown jurisdiction and government being still suffered to live there.

Signed: Dosunmu – His X Mark
Talabi – His X Mark
Apena – His X Mark
Obanikoro – His X Mark
Ashogbon – His X Mark

Norman B. Bedingfield
Her Majesty’s Ship PROMETHEUS
Senior Officer, Bights Division

W. McCoskry
Acting Consul

Dosunmu was first requested to sign the treaty of cessation aboard the PROMETHEUS. He refused to do so because his chiefs were not with him. the treaty was then presented to him @ his palace on 1st August 1861. Dosunmu refused to sign any paper "giving up his country". He was then threatened by Commander Bedingfield with the bombardment of the town.

Again on the 5th of August, the Acting Consul, William McCoskry and Commander Bedingfield went to Dosunmu at the palace, this time with a guard of marines, who were landed and drawn up alongside the Oba's Palace. the draft treaty containing only Article I was read over and translated into the Yoruba and Portuguese languages. At this point the White Cap (Idejo) Chiefs protested, because they feared that they were about to be deprived of their rights to the land of Lagos, which they've had from time immemorial (traditionally, the Oba owns no land apart from his palace. The land of Lagos is vested in the Idejo: land owning white cap chiefs). They solemnly declared that the Oba had no power to give away their lands (indeed, there were threats of an uprising in Lagos, but the presence of the marines kept things quiet).

At this point Dosunmu desired the Commander and Acting Consul to insert such clauses that would satisfy the Idejo that their rights to private ownership of land was not being abrogated, since the Idejo depended on the land for their livelihood and it belongs to them. It was at this point that articles II and III were inserted into the treaty, but the Idejo refused to ratify the treaty.
[i][/i]

Governor Freeman arrived on 22nd January 1862, as the first governor and found that the matter of the treaty was still unsettled. after holding several long "palavers" with the Oba and his Chiefs at Government House, he discovered that the real problem lay with the fear of the Idejo that they would lose their land. He also said that the Oba claimed that he was forced to sign the treaty without knowing its contents. the governor claimed that the Oba's assertion was false, since the treaty was translated into Yoruba and Portuguese. He also claimed that he had succeeded in getting the chiefs to ratify the treaty.

The treaty was signed by "Telake", i.e. Talabi (Talabi was a relative of Dosunmu and a prince of royal blood), "Rocamena", i.e Apena (Apena was a magistrate in Lagos at that time), Obalekoro, i.e Obanikoro (Obanikoro was the Archbishop of Lagos) and Achebong, i.e Ashogbon (Ashogbon was the commander in chief of the Oba's bodyguards).

None of the Idejo signed the treaty.

The Idejo families include

Oniru - they owned Iru (present day Victoria Island & Maroko)

Onikoyi - they owned Ikoyi

Ojora - they owned Ijora

Oluwa - they owned Oluwa (present day Apapa)

Oloto - they owned Oto

Onitolo & Aromire families - together they owned Idumota

Onisiwo _ they owned Tarkwa Bay & Ogogoro village

Re: Clarification On Lagos by nduchucks: 9:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
^^^^ Authenticated Source
Re: Clarification On Lagos by EkoIle1: 9:46pm On Dec 06, 2012
joeyfire: I've never seen a man so dedicated to spinning cheap pulp ethnic conspiracy theories and farting them into cyberspace for consumption by an anaemic mob of shallow unemployed bigots. Ride on!

Please shut up and learn and if you are too dull to learn, leave the thread.
Re: Clarification On Lagos by DuduNegro: 9:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
First to naptu, thank you for your dedicated focus and passion in sharing history here in NL. Your archived materials have no voice of their own but they speak louder than any audible voice can ever yell.

In one of your materials on Lagos you shared some history on the dispute between Eshugbayi and the British, joined by some Lagos princes and in which I identified who Yesufu Omo'Oba was. I was interested in the house on Pedro St and its relevance. I found out yesterday and it does belong to the Dosunmu family, it was the Dosunmu lineage abode.

Again, thank you for your great service.
Re: Clarification On Lagos by DuduNegro: 9:48pm On Dec 06, 2012
ndu_chucks: ^^^^ Authenticated Source

lol....yes, very authenticated. Very, very, very authenticated.
Re: Clarification On Lagos by DuduNegro: 9:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
There are three Articles to "The Treaty of 1861" but Article I is the bedrock of everything else contained in II and III and as well all the Crown Grants accruing to Lagos from the British Monarchy.

If Lagos could be said to have a written constitution, Article I is that constitution.

So let's start and give a break down of Article I.

One thing worthy of note is that the Article is a legal document, drafted by the Queen's commission, notarized by the Queen's counsel only, legitimized under the threat of a wipe out from the Queen's naval force. So even though it is popularly termed "The Treaty", it is unimaginable how this is viewed as a document of alliance or a negotiation or a partnership of any sort between two parties in which one has approached the other, as outlined in the opening......

..."to assist, defend and protect the inhabitants of Lagos and to put an end to slave trade in this land and the neighbouring countries and to prevent the destructive wars so frequently undertaken by Dahomey and others for the capture of slaves"

The very actions and intent of Britain in this document is in itself an act of "slavery"! It is the disposession of rights of a people through aggressive use of force in order to capture, seize, own and transfer all their naturally endowed rights and resources to the service, treasury and sovereignty of Her Majesty, The Queen.
Re: Clarification On Lagos by DuduNegro: 11:01pm On Dec 06, 2012
I, Dosunmu, do with the consent and advice of my council, give, transfer and by this presents grants and confirm into the Queen of Britain, her heirs and successors for ever, the port and Island of Lagos, with all the rights, profits, territories and appurtenances whatsoever, thereto belonging and as well the profits and revenues as the direct, full and absolute dominion and sovereignity of the said port, Island and premises, with all the royalties thereof, freely, fully, entirely and absolutely.

Relating to the first italics, which council is Oba referring here?

These were the established council of Chiefs and the institution has not changed till today:

1. Akarigbere (Royal Ministers) - Headed by Eletu Odibo
2. Idejo (Land Owners) - Headed by Olumegbon
3. Ogalade (Spiritual and Rites) - Headed by Obanikoro
4. Abagbon (Defense and War) - Headed by Ashogbon
5. Ogboni/Osugbo (Judicial) - Headed by Apena

Here below is the list of signatories to the Treaty and we see that every tier of his council, except Idejo, is represented. Talabi was the most senior Prince of the lineage and sat in for Eletu Odibo. It is believed that at this time Eletu had not returned from the exile imposed on him by Kosoko in the course of their disputes.

Signed: Dosunmu – His X Mark
Talabi – His X Mark
Apena – His X Mark
Obanikoro – His X Mark
Ashogbon – His X Mark

(1) (Reply)

What US EMBASSY Website Says About NIGERIA / Why Mr. Mike Okiro Cannot Head The Police Service Commission‏ By Femi Falana / JTF Releases Sheakau's Wife, Children, Others From Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.