Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different (1309 Views)

Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America / Akatas On Nairaland / Why Akatas Treated Better Than Africans Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by yorubaamerican(m): 2:29pm On Dec 06, 2012
I struggle with this question. ...Please enlighten me on what makes the two groups so different. Honestly, I see many similarities between Africans in America and Nigerians. Most especially physical and behavioral similarities. I'm seeking a connection between both sides. What does it take to make such a connection become a reality? I know it's possible.
Re: Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:29am On Dec 07, 2012
physical: shape of the nose, head,etc.

cultural: Nigerians have culture, aas dont really have one. food, etc.

behavioural: aas are shameless, Nigerians are careful about self-respect, ego, etc/
Re: Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 07, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

behavioural: aas are shameless, Nigerians are careful about self-respect, ego, etc/

Laughable undecided
Re: Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by ChitChatChick88: 1:03pm On Dec 07, 2012
yorubaamerican: I struggle with this question. ...Please enlighten me on what makes the two groups so different. Honestly, I see many similarities between Africans in America and Nigerians. Most especially physical and behavioral similarities. I'm seeking a connection between both sides. What does it take to make such a connection become a reality? I know it's possible.

I believe it takes positive interactions with one another, the formation of deep friendships and relationships to break down stereotypes each group has of one another. From physical appearance it is pretty difficult to tell an AA from a Nigerian unless the AA is very light, but then again there are light-skinned non-mixed Nigerians as well so even that can be misleading. Honestly, even though its still frowned upon, intermarriage is probably the best means to make connections and break down stereotypes (assuming the two have an understanding for one another and the marriage institution).

You are right about behavioral similarities too, I have noticed the following...

Expressive in discussion and interactions
Love of music and dancing
Fictive Kin (Referring to someone as Auntie....AAs also have "play cousins", but don't typically refer to older men as Uncle...)
Lateness ( embarassed )

However, there are some differences too
Different Food
More respect for elders
In general more dedication to academics

Don't feel discouraged yorubaamerican, I'm sure you'll be able to bridge the gap between the two cultures smiley
Re: Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by Blyss: 10:42pm On Dec 07, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

LOL, this Negro is ret.arded. cheesy
Re: Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by Nobody: 1:39am On Dec 08, 2012
Blyss:

lol speaking of reetaarded
have you seen this? grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/252608/uncle-ruckus-fictional-character-turned#13097096

it's HILARIOUS! be prepared to laugh! grin
Re: Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by yorubaamerican(m): 4:56pm On Dec 08, 2012
ChitChatChick88:

I believe it takes positive interactions with one another, the formation of deep friendships and relationships to break down stereotypes each group has of one another. From physical appearance it is pretty difficult to tell an AA from a Nigerian unless the AA is very light, but then again there are light-skinned non-mixed Nigerians as well so even that can be misleading. Honestly, even though its still frowned upon, intermarriage is probably the best means to make connections and break down stereotypes (assuming the two have an understanding for one another and the marriage institution).

You are right about behavioral similarities too, I have noticed the following...

Expressive in discussion and interactions
Love of music and dancing
Fictive Kin (Referring to someone as Auntie....AAs also have "play cousins", but don't typically refer to older men as Uncle...)
Lateness ( embarassed )

However, there are some differences too
Different Food
More respect for elders
In general more dedication to academics

Don't feel discouraged yorubaamerican, I'm sure you'll be able to bridge the gap between the two cultures smiley

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I would argue that my generation and those before me have just as much respect for our elders as Nigerians do for theirs. ...The colored folks time sure is a similarity, you betcha! The dedication to academics is something the black community needs to work on. ...I'm starting a movement that teaches us how to benefit from and recognize our similarities. Look out.
Re: Are Black Africans (Nigerians) And Africans In America (Akatas) Really Different by yorubaamerican(m): 4:58pm On Dec 08, 2012
Blyss:

He's not ret.arded. The problems is he's been around a set of African-Americans who don't know the history and are determined to carry out white America's plan for us.

(1) (Reply)

Benin Empire... / Ogun Ti Afi Nse Olaa / History Of Ajase-ipo (A Town In Kwara State/

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.