Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For (10454 Views)

5 Top Facebook Scams To Be Aware Of / How To Watch All Dstv Channels For Free In Hd (09/11/2013)..no Monthly Payments. / Unable To Watch Videos On Youtube (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by alhaji000(m): 3:20pm On Dec 08, 2012
Online Christmas shopping is expected to grow 22.4 percent alone this year to as much as $146 billion.

ICTCatalogue.com compiled together, Top 12 christmas scams to watch out for during this holiday.

Social Media Scams — [/b]Scammers use Twitter and Facebook. Friend’s accounts can get hacked so watch for fake alerts that install “holiday deal” apps that steal private data. Twitter ads can lead to fake websites that look authentic but then ask for your credit card information.

[b]Malicious Mobile Apps —
An estimated 33 percent of apps ask for more information than they need such as access to your contacts or location. Be careful to check reviews on the smartphone’s store because a malicious app may be designed to steal your information or even send out premium-rate text messages without your knowledge.

Travel Scams — Phony travel webpages with beautiful pictures and rock-bottom prices are used to get you to hand over your financial details. The FBI recently warned travelers of a hotel Wi-Fi scam in which a malicious pop-up ad prompts computer users to install a popular software product before connecting to their hotel Wi-Fi.

Holiday Spam/Phishing — Spam emails will take on holiday themes advertising cheap Rolex watches and pharmaceuticals. Never click on the included links.

The New iPad, iPhone 5, And Other Hot Holiday Gift Scams — Phony ads and contests for the latest products will install malware or attempt to steal information.

Skype Message Scare — There is a new Skype message scam that attempts to infect computers and even hold your files for ransom. The threat appears as a Skype instant message with the scam line “Lol is this your new profile pic?”. If you click on the included link, a Trojan downloads onto your hard drive, blasts the dangerous link to all of your contacts, and can even try to extort money from some PC users to regain access to their files.

Bogus Gift Cards — Scammers will get you to “purchase” fraudulent gift cards that will not work.

Holiday SMiShing — “SMiSishing” is phishing via text message. The scammer tries to lure you into revealing information or performing an action you normally wouldn’t do by pretending to be a legitimate organization. Be wary of text messages that supposedly come from your bank and want you to verify personal information or visit a website.

Phony E-tailers – Phony e-commerce sites, that appear real, try to lure you into typing in your credit card number and other personal details, often by promoting great deals. For example, electronics repair store harborelectronics.net had a copycat store at harborelectronics.com that stole their credit cards.

Fake Charities — Scammers will copycat real charities such as the Red Cross. One man ran a bogus charity for the “U.S. Navy Veterans Association” and gathered $2 million from donors over five years!

Dangerous e-Cards — Most e-cards are safe, but there are some that will install trojan viruses. Make sure your family members are actually sending you e-cards and that the e-card comes from a well known legitimate source.

Phony Classifieds — Phony offers ask for too much personal information or ask you to wire funds via Western Union. If you’re going to purchase an item or apply for a job, try to do it in person in a public place. Pay in cash and never agree to pay for an item before receiving it.

Remember to have some sort of antivirus or anti-malware installed not only on your computer but also on your tablet or smartphone. These tips for discovering common internet scams should help you during the holiday shopping season. Merry Christmas!

SOURCE:- http://ictcatalogue.com/top-twelve-12-christmas-internet-scams-to-watch-out-for

2 Likes

Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2012
Thanks for the info
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Francheezy(m): 5:36pm On Dec 08, 2012
tnx..mahn
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Emmyk(m): 11:47pm On Dec 08, 2012
Ten queue
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Maleeq(m): 1:28pm On Dec 10, 2012
Nice one!
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Joe50(m): 2:26pm On Dec 10, 2012
Wow... after getting to a month i finally unban cry cry cry i no no weytin i do sha...
make i no talk any tin now b4 dey ban me again cos i knw no weytin i do b4 lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry angry angry angry
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Elgaxton(m): 2:32pm On Dec 10, 2012
very useful info... thanks
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 10, 2012
Nigerian companies promos!
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Cutekid54: 2:40pm On Dec 10, 2012
u try sha, thanx
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by onyxo76(m): 2:55pm On Dec 10, 2012
good info.
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by SpicyMimi(f): 3:10pm On Dec 10, 2012
Joe50: Wow... after getting to a month i finally unban cry cry cry i no no weytin i do sha...
make i no talk any tin now b4 dey ban me again cos i knw no weytin i do b4 lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry angry angry angry
lol You derailing this thread, you might get banned for this.
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by mrrock: 3:11pm On Dec 10, 2012
There's nothing new here.
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by kokoye(m): 3:12pm On Dec 10, 2012
We should be able to make a xmas song out of this...ideas anyone??

The twelve scams of christmas - (Nigerian) style

...and this isnt meant to be funny tongue

1 Like

Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by fittty(m): 3:18pm On Dec 10, 2012
lipsrsealed
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by salolo(m): 3:29pm On Dec 10, 2012
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by annastacie: 3:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
tanks mr/mrs informant
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Abyjah: 4:16pm On Dec 10, 2012
One more... Watchout for girls you wooed and they refused only for them to now turn around and agree or start wooing you. Mark my word, it's a scam. Infact, it's April fool in December, by January 2nd you'll be O.Y.O and the girl will be M.I.A.

2 Likes

Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by olusenny: 4:25pm On Dec 10, 2012
kokoye: We should be able to make a xmas song out of this...ideas anyone??

The twelve scams of christmas - (Nigerian) style

...and this isnt meant to be funny tongue
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Livebetalife(f): 4:27pm On Dec 10, 2012
Nice 1
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by liyalla(m): 4:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
hope say "Nairaland xmas thread scams" no go dey oooh!
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by vanstanzy(m): 4:54pm On Dec 10, 2012
Thank you very much for the 411.
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by korrej(m): 5:17pm On Dec 10, 2012
WATCHOUT FOR eMpTyheN AND OTHERS...HAPPY XMAS IN ADVANCE!!!
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Ycbgroup: 5:20pm On Dec 10, 2012
Great information for online shoppers
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by pendusky(m): 5:24pm On Dec 10, 2012
grin
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by kedukc(m): 6:14pm On Dec 10, 2012
The new MTN Internet Bundle na correct scam.
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by esuafraid: 6:22pm On Dec 10, 2012
Good Info.......Keep it "UP"
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 10, 2012
thanks mate mobile apps is the sharp means for them now
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by ignis: 8:20pm On Dec 10, 2012
Op, thanks for the enlightenment. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by fellowben(m): 8:39pm On Dec 10, 2012
YOU ARE VERY CORRECT, BUT I THINK ONLY A VERY FOOLISH PERSON WILL FALL FOR SUCH SCAMS, SEE A MAIL I RECEIVED THIS AFTERNOON FROM ONE JENNY FROM AMERICA.

hai

This is miss jennyven winbrosey from United states of America an international relation student age 22yrs.

Oh yeah While searching through the directory yellow page of your country i came across your contact address, though it might be strange but understand that Internet is like a global connective like one village. I believe and also have the feeling that in today's world, neither race, sex, age, nationality nor religion will any longer posse a barrier to male/female relationships, although, we do not know each other but i will really like to have you as a friend or pen pal if that is better for you in the up coming UN youth Conferences here in United state and Africa,

Am currently studying international relations at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA),residing in Los Angeles with my parents, brothers and sisters. Presently, I am doing my final year in the University and so anxious to graduate from the University into the free world

The world is full of evil, and people tends to be very careless of their lives and diseases has been the tune of the day and war and terrorism act is the deed of these days.

All these things motivated the UN youth in United states to Organize a seminar that will educate people more on these issues, mostly on the

deadly diseases like HIV and secondly to reduce violence like war & civil war and terrorist act which has been a canker-worm that is eating

almost the world at large, So as a member of the global youths in United states and as a final year student of international relation, am inviting you to a Conference that will take place firstly here in United states and Africa.

If you are willing to attend these conferences together with me here in United state and Africa do not hesitate to write me back immediately to enable me give you the contact link of the organization in order for you to apply for registration. you doesn't need any invitation letter for Visa approval if the Organization will accept your attendance.

Please be inform that is not an obligation that you must attend the UN event in united state but only if it pleases you to participate or partake however is totally your choice, Oh yeah will be so happy to hear from you soon got to go now, goodbye.

Yours One Jenny!!!

I ALSO GOT A FUNNY SMS ON MY PHONE SAME DAY FROM THIS NUMBER I DONT KNOW

'MY NIGHT WAS GOOD, THANK YOU. YOURS DARLING?

THE MESSAGE WAS FROM +41799772049 A SUPPOSED SWISS/LIETCHENSTEN NUMBER.
EXPOSE THESE MAILS WHEN U GET THEM THEY ARE 419 SCAMS
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Oyeleyeoyedoja(f): 10:16pm On Dec 10, 2012
[quote author=vanstanzy]

Thank you very much for the info
Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by Maleeq(m): 12:11pm On Dec 11, 2012
fellowben: YOU ARE VERY CORRECT, BUT I THINK ONLY A VERY FOOLISH PERSON WILL FALL FOR SUCH SCAMS, SEE A MAIL I RECEIVED THIS AFTERNOON FROM ONE JENNY FROM AMERICA.

I ALSO GOT A FUNNY SMS ON MY PHONE SAME DAY FROM THIS NUMBER I DONT KNOW

'MY NIGHT WAS GOOD, THANK YOU. YOURS DARLING?

THE MESSAGE WAS FROM +41799772049 A SUPPOSED SWISS/LIETCHENSTEN NUMBER.
EXPOSE THESE MAILS WHEN U GET THEM THEY ARE 419 SCAMS
Lol...got a similar text from +41799772159 sounding all sweet with so much words of endearment asking for forgiveness bla bla bla.... I just laughed, for the only person I know abroad is Obama, and we normally talk over voice calls...not SMS! grin

1 Like

Re: Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For by begwong: 2:13pm On Dec 11, 2012
Tnx!

(1) (2) (Reply)

USA Used Lenovo T420 Core I5 For Sale. / . / Hackers Steal Over 400,000 Yahoo Passwords

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.