Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Patch Of Black - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Patch Of Black (10296 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patch Of Black by 2sexy(m): 1:46am On Dec 11, 2012
Vanneni: huh? undecided ? Arabic ke. That's hausa.
I know grin grin grin. so what does it mean na * bribes her* oya tell me na.
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 1:57am On Dec 11, 2012
Ok o Idowu's mouth piece. grin
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 2:00am On Dec 11, 2012
2sexy: I know grin grin grin. so what does it mean na * bribes her* oya tell me na.
I don't take bribe grin
Re: Patch Of Black by 2sexy(m): 2:01am On Dec 11, 2012
Vanneni: Ok o Idowu's mouth piece. grin
lol. Abeg Interpret that thing na... haba
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 3:10am On Dec 11, 2012
2sexy: lol. Abeg Interpret that thing na... haba
Please let's leave this thread
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 6:55am On Dec 11, 2012
Chai! See derailers... @vanneni, @2sexy, @vannywealth, what happened to the chat threads? angry
Thanks for stopping by sha grin
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 11, 2012
Oahray: Chai! See derailers... @vanneni, @2sexy, @vannywealth, what happened to the chat threads? angry
Thanks for stopping by sha grin
you're welcome and on behalf of the others I say sorry. We woun't come back to derail again.
Re: Patch Of Black by tijehi(f): 10:39am On Dec 11, 2012
@ poster.

Good one. Obulu.
I'm esan too.
Love ur story.

keep the good work coming
Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 2:07pm On Dec 11, 2012
Vanneni: hmmm Idowu are you the last born of your parents? I know why I'm asking. Please tell m e and I'll tell you my reason. smiley
yep! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2012
2sexy: u no go kill person. Do u see Idowu here? Who tell you say na she be last born. Becos of d way she behaves online? better get that out of ya head. That lady na animal wey don tey for inside forest ooo.
*ignored*

bebe ray! anymore updates? am waiting....
Re: Patch Of Black by 2sexy(m): 5:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
Idowuogbo:
*ignored*

bebe ray! anymore updates? am waiting....
Kolo... no mind wetin I do dia oo. About u not being pretty oo. I know you have a good heart and that is the most beautiful thing woman can have.
Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 5:26pm On Dec 11, 2012
2sexy: Kolo... no mind wetin I do dia oo. About u not being pretty oo. I know you have a good heart and that is the most beautiful thing woman can have.
we gud bebe! i understand u and u uderstand me.

all na flexing nau... carry go! kiss

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 10:12pm On Dec 11, 2012
No updates? angry angry
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 1:36am On Dec 12, 2012
I pulled up my socks after adjusting my shinguard. The match ended 1-1 at full time.

I had scored the goal that kept alive our hope of winning the cup.
Fifteen minutes quickly passed and the first half of extra time faded into history. It was a tough match, but who expected to see Nigeria in the Worldcup finals battling it out with Brazil?

I adjusted the captain's armband on my left arm and struck a confident pose. I knew my friends would be watching, the world was watching on coloured television.
She was watching.

The 2nd half soon began. Ugo passed the ball to Osaze, and the match continued.
We had all made the Nigerian National team, my playmates and I, and I was the captain.
We passed, chased, tackled, defended, attacked and counter attacked.

Time ticked on.

An official raised his board. We had three minutes left before we proceeded with penalties.

I glanced at the crowd of spectators. I saw her.

She held a green and white banner with my face on it and calmly waved it. She was all smiles. She knew we would win. She believed in me.

That was all I needed. I received the ball from Osaze, and made a quick one-two with Ugo.

I charged at my opponents, mesmerising them with some elegant footwork. I beat the first, then the second, made light meal of the next three and found myself face to face with the goal keeper.

He rushed at me.

I quickly rolled the ball past him.

For a moment, time stood still as we all watched the ball make its way slowly toward the right post. I had lost my balance when I played it, the keeper lay helpless, a few feet from me, watching the ball continue on its path.

It struck the post and rolled past the goal line into the net.

The stadium exploded!

I looked at her direction again, she was on her feet jumping up and waving the banner with renewed zest. We had done it! I lay on the grass and my teamates lay on top of me. Eyes closed, I tried to preserve the image of her waving my picture.

She loved me.

The weight of my team mates was starting to make me uncomfortable, and though it didnt rain, my shorts had started to absorb moisture from the grass.

I tried to move.

My eyes snapped open.

The 60watt electric bulb hanging down the centre of the ceiling was lit.
Akhere was scared of the dark and always insisted on sleeping with the light on. I had since gotten used to it.

Odion had his hand resting on my face and his left leg weighed down on my legs. I pushed him off and got up from the bed I shared with my brothers.

My side of the bed was wet with his urine and my shorts had absorbed alot of it.

On the other end of the bed Akhere slept on, unperturbed by the growing patch of wetness on the bed.
I looked at Odion and my resentment grew.
This was not the first time I had dreamt about football, or Rachael, but it was the first time she didnt hold my hands or give me a kiss on my cheeks.

I slapped the twins hard on their thighs till they both were awake and told them to go urinate. I had forgotten to do that earlier and paid the price.
I changed my shorts and left for the sitting room. Mama would understand. She would not fail to take the mattress out in the sun tomorrow.

We had two long sofas in the sitting room. I lay on the longer one.
It was unnecessary, since I was still far from being tall enough to fill either of them.
I sighed and wished I could continue the dream.

The clock ticked on and Rachael lingered in my thoughts.
From the eyes that just seemed to charm me when she looked at me, to the hair she usually braided 'all-back', to her smile...

Since the first time I saw her, the day they moved into the neighbourhood, I had felt drawn by an inexplicable force to her.
She was six years my senior and lived next door with her grandma.

They quickly bonded with my family and at times she spent several hours in our house, or mama's shop gisting with mama, or playing with us and carrying Ehi about.

I had always been shy around her, stealing glances when I thought she was not looking.

I shifted uncomfortably on the sofa. It was a monday morning, a few hours from another day at school.

My thoughts went back to Rachael.
Maybe someday, my dream would come true. Someday she would hold my hands the way she did in my dreams and kiss my cheeks.

I sighed again and pictured the both of us together some more, till my thoughts merged seamlessly with unconsciousness.

2 Likes

Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 6:25am On Dec 12, 2012
Hahahahaha... See lust o! grin
Re: Patch Of Black by jslimz(f): 7:35am On Dec 12, 2012
........Subscribing.........

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by omotol(f): 9:19am On Dec 12, 2012
someone shld tell d poster to continue,.,,....pls,joor,biko

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 12, 2012
Idowuogbo:
yep! embarassed embarassed embarassed
you behave like one. I'm not telling u my main reason sha..grin
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 1:10pm On Dec 12, 2012
tijehi: @ poster.

Good one. Obulu.
I'm esan too.
Love ur story.

keep the good work coming
hehe... See my sista ooooo. Thanks.
Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 2:21pm On Dec 12, 2012
Vanneni: you behave like one. I'm not telling u my main reason sha..grin
undecided undecided undecided
Behaving like wot? U guessed rite for d first time and u feeling like u got some paranormal powers? I laugh in my Indian accent *nehinehinehi* u no me NOT!!

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by 2sexy(m): 3:19pm On Dec 12, 2012
Idowuogbo:
undecided undecided undecided
Behaving like wot? U guessed rite for d first time and u feeling like u got some paranormal powers? I laugh in my Indian accent *nehinehinehi* u no me NOT!!
Kai... Idowu, I had control my laff because I dont want people around me to start asking me what on my PC screen that is making me laff. Abeg , no break my ribs. Sexkillz me abi... I no fit come romance section again o.
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 12, 2012
cry cry
The sheer beauty of the writeup de make me cry!!

1 Like

Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 3:46pm On Dec 12, 2012
tchidi: cry cry
The sheer beauty of the writeup de make me cry!!
Haaa!! Aunty, is everything ok? If u come read titanic nko? Na to carry u go Luth b dat o! shocked shocked
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 12, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Haaa!! Aunty, is everything ok? If u come read titanic nko? Na to carry u go Luth b dat o! shocked shocked
cry
cry cry
Lemme oº°˚! Oahray, can I be your Rachel?! kiss kiss
Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 3:53pm On Dec 12, 2012
tchidi:
cry
cry cry
Lemme oº°˚! Oahray, can I be your Rachel?! kiss kiss
B who's Rachael? If I deep hand inside dry pepper stamp ya face dia! Kangaroo! Get behind me joor!

Oahray, warn dis babe o angry angry
Re: Patch Of Black by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 12, 2012
Idowuogbo:
B who's Rachael? If I deep hand inside dry pepper stamp ya face dia! Kangaroo! Get behind me joor!

Oahray, warn dis babe o angry angry
shocked
shocked shocked shocked
Jesu!!! Oahray, just one story and you hired a bodyguard ni? If u reach Cyprain ekwensi grade, na SSS go de folo u oº°˚! Haaa!! undecided. I no wan be Rachel again. Aunty nor vesk!!
Re: Patch Of Black by Idowuogbo(f): 4:07pm On Dec 12, 2012
tchidi:
shocked
shocked shocked shocked
Jesu!!! Oahray, just one story and you hired a bodyguard ni? If u reach Cyprain ekwensi grade, na SSS go de folo u oº°˚! Haaa!! undecided. I no wan be Rachel again. Aunty nor vesk!!
Betta! *smiles mischievously*
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 4:11pm On Dec 12, 2012
Hahahaha.... Kai. Una funny doi!

@tchidi, thanks for the compliments jare. U know say u be my personal person na. I dnt want u to be my Rachael tongue Be my tchidi, she is more special.
Meet Idowu, aka badosky, the baddest, razzest babe on nairaland. Dnt mind the fronting o. She's another smart alec. grin
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 4:14pm On Dec 12, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Betta! *smiles mischievously*
lol. U ehn grin
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 4:35pm On Dec 12, 2012
Next to monday mornings, I hated sunday evenings the most.

There was something indescribable about the unease that always settled on me at dusk on sundays. It was not unrelated to the fact that the next day was school. I hated that feeling, and no, it was not just a preferrence for weekends and holidays.

I hated school.

It had not always been that way though. It started in secondary school.

Throughout my primary school days, I was as carefree as a child my age could be. School was just an extention of my play hours and the holidays a bonus.

Most of us in my neighbourhood went to the same school.
In the morning, we would walk to
school in groups talking excitedly, in voices ranging from whispers to near screams, about anything ranging from the movies we watched last with our below-par power of understanding, to tidbits about football we happened to hear from others, to gossip featuring our neighbours or classmates.

Towards the end of the term, our individual holiday fantasies usually took centre stage in those discussions.
At the end of each term, we would be given our report cards to take home to our parents.
Depending on its content, parents would be impressed, shocked, surprised, angry or just plain embarrassed.

Embarrassed. That was exactly how I felt when Rachael asked to see my report card.
It was the third term of primary five. I had come third in the previous terms of that session. She never asked any of those times.

It was on a tuesday she asked. The day after I had collected it.

I had not gotten over papa's reaction yet.
Papa had settled down on his favourite chair and picked up the three report cards on the table.
Ehi had not yet started school.

He opened the first.
Aigbojie Usifo.

I gulped.

He turned over the pages containing the first and second term results.
His eyes darkened.

"Ojie"

"sah?"

"Is this not backwardness? You came third in first and second term and you came fifth in third term" he sounded far from pleased.

I was silent.

he picked the next.
Odion Usifo.
He turned a few pages, examined the contents of its pages carefully and nodded.

He picked up the last report card.
Akhere Usifo.
This time, he smiled.

Akhere had come first in their class and Odion came second.

He praised the twins and turned to me.

"Ojie"

"sah"

"Four persons passed you in your class. I am not happy at all. The person who came first, is he not a human being like you?"

"yes" came my timid reply

"I want to see a better result next time, is that clear?"

I nodded for lack of words.

Here was Rachael asking to see my result. The twins had shown her their results at our verandah and she promised them biscuits before turning to me.

I reluctantly granted her request. She studied each sheet carefully.
"Ojie, you tried, but its like you don't like maths."

I shrugged. As usual, I knew what to say to her but didnt know how to say it.

"Do you know what?"

I looked up at her.

"If you have anything you don't understand, come and show me. I want you to be first next time"

"ok" I heard myself say.

"That's my boy" she pulled me closer and gave me a side hug.

Of course I never brought her anything I couldnt understand. For one thing, I couldnt bring myself to. However, I started paying more attention in class.

It was a Monday this time, exactly a term after.
The twins had both fallen sick and Mama asked me to bring their report cards.

The sun was unusually hot that day, but that was not the reason I was walking home alone as fast as I could.
The sun was almost overhead, and I quickly invented a game of trying to step on the head of my shadow.
With sweaty hands, I opened my report card again, for the upteenth time.

The words: '1st out of 32' written neatly in blue ink, stared right back at me.

I wanted Rachael to be the first person I would see when I got home. I wanted to see the look in her eyes. I wanted her to smile at me, hold me close and tell me how proud she was of me.

Ehi was with mama in her shop when she saw me. She ran towards me, merry like a long lost friend. I bent down to embrace her. She wanted me to see her new doll. It was her first actually.

Mama and papa had never bought us toys.

I greeted mama and gave her the report cards.

A warm smile possessed her lips as she scanned through the trio.
The twins didnt disappoint. They had ruled their class once more.
Odion came tops this time.

Mama pulled me close and asked what I wanted to eat.

She didnt need to ask though. She knew more than anyone else my passion for rice.

Ehi sat on the floor playing with her doll, her little fingers twisting and turning its hair.

Mama read my thoughts.
"Rachael gave it to her before she left" Mama explained.
Re: Patch Of Black by Oahray: 4:40pm On Dec 12, 2012
"Left?" I did not understand.

"Her mother came to take her away today"

"Holiday?" I asked, confused.

Rachael had been with us the day before and she said nothing about holiday.

"I don't know o", mama replied in Esan. "but she might not come back".

Papa praised me that day and called me a true son of my father. It did little to cheer me up.

As I ate mama's rice that evening in silence and with an obvious lack of appetite, all I kept hearing in my head was mama voice.

Rachael might never come back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Daddy, Where Are You?; A Short Story / One Man Mopol By Awe Samuel Olutayo / I Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.