Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,201 members, 7,867,491 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:01 PM

I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole (522 Views)

Wike Says He Will Send Buhari To His Ancestors On Live Tv / Orubebe Should Be In Jail - Oshiomhole Fires Back Again / Busted: Jimi Agbaje, A Tax Defaulter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by Turbocharged: 5:41am On Dec 09, 2012
GOVERNOR Adams Oshiomhole, Saturday, signed into law, Edo Property Tax Bill, with a warning to the rich that they would be sent to jail if they failed to comply with thenew law.
Oshiomhole, who used the opportunity to react to the insinuation in some quarters that thelaw will further impoverish the poor,said it was misleading, explaining that the law is targeted at the rich with a view to providing basic amenities for the poor.
His words: “The rich will prefer thattaxation be abolished because they have enough money even to build private homes, private roads, and buy private jets and so on. But I am not apologetic that this government is determined to tax the rich and thevery rich so that we can provide for the poorest of the poor. Every enlightened rich man will appreciate that it is in his own interest that government provides for the poor.
“So when people say that this law is targeted at some persons, I say yes. The law is targeted at those who aretaxable, those who have property and that includes myself. I need to pay tax so that when I am not in government, government will have the resources to provide those things that they need to provide for Edo to make progress. I am very appreciative for the support which I have continued to enjoy from the people of Edo and I promise I will never abuse that trust.
“The outcome of the last election has humbled me and I am committed to give my all. No body is above the law. I have the duty to remind thosewho feel they are above the law, they are not. If the governor is not above the law no one is. Government must protect the weak, we must be just. This government will not victimize any body even under provocation, but no one will be too big to be dealt with if violates the law"

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/i-will-send-rich-tax-defaulters-to-jail-oshiomhole/
Re: I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by fingard02k(m): 7:45am On Dec 09, 2012
Love that but need to start from your own cabinet cus most of the rich men are politicians...How i wish our presido will do the same...
Re: I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by omicron(m): 7:57am On Dec 09, 2012
I beg to differ with the governor. The law is not targeting only the rich. In fact the law may well affect the very poor who will be paying same tax as RENT. So you tax the rich man, the Landlord, 20, 000 for his property and he in turn, increases house rent by 1,500 for the tenants....Have u not taxed the very poor too? Too bad.... Unless he tells me he is taxing only the private homes.
Re: I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by Nobody: 8:53am On Dec 09, 2012
omicron: I beg to differ with the governor. The law is not targeting only the rich. In fact the law may well affect the very poor who will be paying same tax as RENT. So you tax the rich man, the Landlord, 20, 000 for his property and he in turn, increases house rent by 1,500 for the tenants....Have u not taxed the very poor too? Too bad.... Unless he tells me he is taxing only the private homes.
this is really bad policy. If at all he must import such foreign taxation,Why not tax automobiles instead. At least accrued monies can be channelled into road maintenance etc
Re: I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by amaham(m): 8:59am On Dec 09, 2012
@omicron- u just said my mind bro, this same tax was introduced in crossriver state during duke's regime and later stopped. The house rent increment caused by it still persist eventhough it has been stopped.
Re: I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by omicron(m): 5:30pm On Dec 09, 2012
amaham: @omicron- u just said my mind bro, this same tax was introduced in crossriver state during duke's regime and later stopped. The house rent increment caused by it still persist eventhough it has been stopped.
That's the point. Oshio is going too far and too fast with these policies of his. Everything about him and his government now is suddenly tax tax. He should berra chill and take things calmly
Re: I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by Emmy3(m): 6:14pm On Dec 09, 2012
Lets wait and see what the tax will be upon.
Is it PAYE system or direct asset tax.
Which ever the system is, he should also make rooms to accomodate the adverse effects.
I wish him success in his transformation endeavour.
Re: I Will Send Rich Tax Defaulter To Jail - Oshiomhole by Emmy3(m): 6:17pm On Dec 09, 2012
centje: this is really bad policy. If at all he must import such foreign taxation,Why not tax automobiles instead. At least accrued monies can be channelled into road maintenance etc
Not a bad idea.
But sth wrong with this formula is its inefficiency and uneven taxation.

(1) (Reply)

Subsidy Cabal Behind My Mum’s Abduction – Okonjo-iweala / Jonathan Visit Azazi’s Family / Humour! Obasanjo Pledges Tobuy “cheap, Fairly Used Phone”for Reporter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.