Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,252 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

Learning How To Program Can Make One Better At Mathematics - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learning How To Program Can Make One Better At Mathematics (782 Views)

Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman / Want To Program PIC Microcontroller In Assembly Language?[enter HERE] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning How To Program Can Make One Better At Mathematics by fallguy(m): 9:17am On Dec 09, 2012
this is suprising- but once somebody has gotten the 'fear of maths ' into him/her
it may be hard to drive out. They'll go around believing and saying that "i'm not/never was good in maths"
from my experience growing up i though that was my lot,and just accepted it,
but i've come to discover that engaging in programming can make one adept in
mathematics. i mean i predisposes ones mind thru the conditioning of logical thinking to easily understand mathematical thought processes.
so, raising children up by teaching them how to program could pay off in the long run when they come face to face with mathematics.
if i could advice any parent this what i'd say. from age 4/5 let them learn and engage in programming concepts,
write little programs, parents who are technical should supervise their work,
and continue giving them more and more challenging works,
by age 10,they'd have developed a skill for finding patterns, and could then
apply those to maths,which requires this skill too.
Re: Learning How To Program Can Make One Better At Mathematics by Javanian: 10:03am On Dec 09, 2012
I think you are getting it wrong....You werent good at maths then, and you are now is simply because of FEAR and "lack of passion". You were afraid of maths then. You are much older now and you have been able to overcome that fear. You are now realizing maths is no big deal. Simple logic just like programming...
Re: Learning How To Program Can Make One Better At Mathematics by vitriol: 9:22am On Dec 11, 2012
fallguy: this is suprising- but once somebody has gotten the 'fear of maths ' into him/her
it may be hard to drive out. They'll go around believing and saying that "i'm not/never was good in maths"
from my experience growing up i though that was my lot,and just accepted it,
but i've come to discover that engaging in programming can make one adept in
mathematics. i mean i predisposes ones mind thru the conditioning of logical thinking to easily understand mathematical thought processes.
so, raising children up by teaching them how to program could pay off in the long run when they come face to face with mathematics.
if i could advice any parent this what i'd say. from age 4/5 let them learn and engage in programming concepts,
write little programs, parents who are technical should supervise their work,
and continue giving them more and more challenging works,
by age 10,they'd have developed a skill for finding patterns, and could then
apply those to maths,which requires this skill too.

Programming doesn't make you a stronger mathematician, really.
Re: Learning How To Program Can Make One Better At Mathematics by fallguy(m): 9:56pm On Dec 11, 2012
@javanian
That's exactly what i'm saying. the discipline required by programming,
informally requiring that every line of code,which is a line of logic be correct(i.e true)
, carries over into mathematics- which is also built on logic.
a good programmer is a good informal logician,
he can think deductively given (few) known general facts,
doing this over time -- and then getting back into mathematics,
one would find (hopefully) that maths is not as scary and as big a monster
as it previously seemed(i.e b4 one became a programmer)
. infact, except for the naturally gifted mathematicians ,
A page full of mathematics symbols can be as unsavoury as you could imagine.
Have you noticed how poor school children overall perform in mathematics?
its a global malady?! and in my opinion-its because they emotional component
of mathematics is so high that it blocks the rational mind of the prospect,
programming forces one to learn to think rationally and by consequence
control the emotional screamings in his/head - over time the programmer
can take a problem he has no idea how to solve - immediately- and coldly
dissect it - a non programmer will be too emotionally overwhelmed to handle the task-
it is this training that makes a programmer better at mathematics! not whether
he was scared of it a birth or not.

(1) (Reply)

Add Networking To Your Programming Skill / Capture The Flag 2013 / Forttan 77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.