Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,392 members, 7,836,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Arabic Trivia :) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Arabic Trivia :) (743 Views)

An Appeal To Arabic And IRS Teachers In Our Children's Schools / Stop reading Arabic Quran If You Do Not Understand It's Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arabic Trivia :) by tbaba1234: 8:52am On Dec 11, 2012
Assalam Aleikum...

I intend to use this thread to look at the meanings of some common Islamic words and the images they presented to the ancient Arab... Really interesting origins of some of the words we use often.
Re: Arabic Trivia :) by tbaba1234: 9:31am On Dec 11, 2012
i. Sawm (fasting)- There are many words used for fasting in the Quran. This word in particular was used by the arabs before Islam for a very interesting purpose. It was used when they train their horses to go into battle.

The camel is created for the desert environment, it can survive a long time in the desert with a little bit of water. Horses are not built like that. Horses are the preferred option for battle because they are faster. The problem with horses is that they do not last in the heat. The Arabs had a way of training their horses to survive the heat and they used to call that sawm.

The first thing that came to the mind of the ancient arab when they heard sawm, was getting their horses ready for battle.

Allah says in the Quran: I have mandated sawm upon you

The first thing that comes to the mind of the listener is: Wait, now i am the horse. I am the owned property that is being trained by Allah to go into battle.

When next ramadan comes, remember that it is supposed to be a training for you to help you gain the quality of Taqwa. A quality , you will need to face the battles for the rest of the year.

Interesting, isn't it?
Re: Arabic Trivia :) by siddiq202(m): 9:45am On Dec 11, 2012
Very interesting

I never knew Sawm was used to mean getting the horse ready for battle to the ancient Arab. I thought it was 'to abstain'
Re: Arabic Trivia :) by tbaba1234: 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2012
That was how the word was applied amongst the ancient Arabs. The Quran took ownership of the Arabic language, it changed the way words were used.
Re: Arabic Trivia :) by tbaba1234: 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2012
Rukoo (the bow in prayer) : The linguistic meaning of it is incredible, one of his meanings is to be 'overwhelmingly humbled" , overpowered, ... Rukoo is an expression that you are overpowered by Allah.. You recited Allah's words, the Quran and they were so overwhelming that you said "Allah is the greatest" (Allahu akbar), it humbled you and you just went down.

When a man has lost absolutely everything and he has nothing left, He is in rukoo... That is what the old Arab will say... That is the kind of powerlessness we are supposed to have in front of Allah.... There is no room left for arrogance because he has lost everything...

That is how we should be when we make rukoo... Overpowered, no arrogance left.
Re: Arabic Trivia :) by siddiq202(m): 8:49pm On Dec 13, 2012
tbaba1234: That was how the word was applied amongst the ancient Arabs. The Quran took ownership of the Arabic language, it changed the way words were used.
ok

(1) (Reply)

Ebola Scare:an Islamic Perspective / Benefits Of The Month Of Dhul Hijjah / Ibliss, Shaytan, Is Not An Angel From The Begining. Is It True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.