Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More (656 Views)

Buy Your Google Adsense Non-hosted Accounts At Very Low Rates. / JAMB Result Site Is DOWN Cannot Handle Concurrent Users Of 1.5m Candidates ? / Anonymous Takes Down Fbi/whitehouse In Response To Fbi Shutting Down Megaupload (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Slyr0x: 3:10pm On Dec 11, 2012
Team GhostShell, the hacktivist collective, said today that it has stolen accounts from a large number of government agencies, contractors, and security firms, posting information from 1.6 million accounts online.

Dubbed Project White Fox, the hacking project appears to have affected NASA, the FBI, the Pentagon, and Interpol, among many others. The hackers announced their work in a file posted on Pastebin.

The file dump, upon closer inspection, seems to include a number of records obtained via SQL injection. A random selection of the files contain email and home addresses, defense material tests and analysis notes, mailing lists, passwords, and names. In addition, some file dumps also include administrator email addresses and accompanying passwords, telephone numbers, hashed passwords, and database details of company suppliers in the aerospace and oil industries.

GhostShell is said to be loosely connected to hacktivist network Anonymous. The Next Web notes that GhostShell previously made headlines in October, when it breached 100 universities and leaked more than 100,000 student records online. It later declared "war" on Russia to protest government repression.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57558338-83/ghostshell-claims-breach-of-1.6m-accounts-at-fbi-nasa-and-more/
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 11, 2012
It seems nothing is really safe online if this is true! This injection thing seems rampant! Does anti virus not protect website again? Should we be changing password daily, hourly or what then?
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 11, 2012
Think this security issue na good business oh! Make i kuku learn security. I would first download software that would change my password after every 5mins! Any one knows one that you can recommend?
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Slyr0x: 4:42pm On Dec 11, 2012
hisblud: It seems nothing is really safe online if this is true! This injection thing seems rampant! Does anti virus not protect website again? Should we be changing password daily, hourly or what then?

Antivirus has never protected sites from getting hacked. .

Firewalls/Mod-Security can be bypassed too. .

There is no such thing as a “static state of security”, "hack-proof" or "hacker-proof".

There are sophisticated hackers that'ld break through that "perimeter fence". .

The only way to secure your server from getting hacked is if you yank off all the cables and go bury the server 12fts deep in the sahara desert.
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by 53cur3m0d3(m): 4:46pm On Dec 11, 2012
Slyr0x:
The only way to secure your server from getting hacked is if you yank off all the cables and go bury the server 12fts deep in the sahara desert.
#GBAM!!!Any other opinion is a counterfeit
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 11, 2012
Slyr0x:

Antivirus has never protected sites from getting hacked. .

Firewalls/Mod-Security can be bypassed too. .

There is no such thing as a “static state of security”, "hack-proof" or "hacker-proof".

There are sophisticated hackers that'ld break through that "perimeter fence". .

this is really scary! And that means one needs to gradually reduce what i put online. How about the verification setup by google? And changing password daily will be helpful abi? Thanks
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by demoreon: 7:15am On Dec 12, 2012
hisblud: Think this security issue na good business oh! Make i kuku learn security. I would first download software that would change my password after every 5mins! Any one knows one that you can recommend?
You could create a bot for yourself that would do that. Ubot studio is a good tool
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 12, 2012
demoreon:
You could create a bot for yourself that would do that. Ubot studio is a good tool
thanks i think this will be my first line of defence.
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by manmustwack: 12:28am On Dec 13, 2012
You must have been born feet first if you think
the internet is unhackable.
No be man make am?
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Nobody: 1:44am On Dec 14, 2012
manmustwack: You must have been born feet first if you think
the internet is unhackable.
No be man make am?
hmm very true oh! Now this has spurn me to start questioning my defence starting wit -why am i then using windows? At least am above average thus am considering switching to backtrack 5 {dual booting first) then use VM to load windows whenever i need it. Guess am going the way of white hat! As at my last check, avast sandbox can be bypassed! So why pay to be exploitedangry think this is my last time paying for anti virus.
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by demoreon: 10:45am On Dec 14, 2012
hisblud: hmm very true oh! Now this has spurn me to start questioning my defence starting wit -why am i then using windows? At least am above average thus am considering switching to backtrack 5 {dual booting first) then use VM to load windows whenever i need it. Guess am going the way of white hat! As at my last check, avast sandbox can be bypassed! So why pay to be exploitedangry think this is my last time paying for anti virus.
Get the r3...it comes with more tools
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 14, 2012
demoreon:
Get the r3...it comes with more tools
thanks a lot, it seems you already have your hat on for some time i guesssmiley. At least my basic dos commands might come up handy(thank God for old dos), tho i know linux commands might be different but the basic idea might be same. Really backtracking to take control;-)WhyteHAT
Re: Ghostshell Claims Breach Of 1.6M Accounts At FBI, NASA, And More by demoreon: 12:17pm On Dec 14, 2012
hisblud: thanks a lot, it seems you already have your hat on for some time i guesssmiley. At least my basic dos commands might come up handy(thank God for old dos), tho i know linux commands might be different but the basic idea might be same. Really backtracking to take control;-)WhyteHAT
Always be prepared, thts my motto

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Web Application For Hotel Management School / ** / Design Your Website Witthin 45 Mins With Just 1500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.