Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,963 members, 7,838,439 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV (1002 Views)

Career Mistakes You Should Avoid In Your Place Of Work. / 8 Job Posting Buzzwords Explained / Can Any One Help With The Full Details Of 2012 Nigerian Navy Direct Short Servic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV by Hackomania(m): 11:10pm On Dec 12, 2012
LinkedIn just recently released a list of its buzzwords for 2012.
Before I continue, what is a buzzword?
A buzzword is a word or phrase that has become fashionable, popularly used, and when it comes to recruitment, annoying. These are the words that can be an instant turnoff to a recruiter who sees them over and over again because they show that you aren't "dynamic" with great "communication skills," but the opposite.

If you are using any of these 2012 buzzwords, scrub them out. Here they are, in order of how overused they are:
Creative
Organizational
Effective
Motivated
Extensive Experience
Track Record
Innovative
Responsible
Analytical
Problem Solving

My advice, use a thesaurus to generate similar words. Works wonders

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/please-stop-using-these-15-words-in-your-linkedin-profile-immediately-2012-12#ixzz2EsUqwCuY
Re: Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV by An0nimus: 8:00am On Dec 13, 2012
Ok.
Re: Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV by DorcasKaruana: 12:53pm On Dec 14, 2012
You forgot hardworking and team player.

Instead of using the buzz words to describe yourself, job seekers should use examples that bring out these qualities in them. For instance; give an example of where you worked on a project as a team and the role you played. If you were the team pleader, the employers knows your leadership skills, if you got to complete the project in time, then it shows you are efficient, organized. If you encountered a problem and was able to solve it; it shows you are a problem solvers e.t.c

No employers trust the buzz words you describe your self with. Give real examples.

www.careerpointkenya.com

1 Like

Re: Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV by Mustay(m): 11:52am On Dec 16, 2012
The examples thingy is correct. All the same, my reaction to the OP's post was "everyone ends up using Thesaurus to arrive at the same words".
Re: Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV by Hackomania(m): 10:52am On Mar 01, 2013
lol. Spot on. HR people prefer people that are different though.
Mustay: The examples thingy is correct. All the same, my reaction to the OP's post was "everyone ends up using Thesaurus to arrive at the same words".
Re: Buzzwords Of 2012; And Why You Should Avoid Them In Your CV by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 04, 2013
i will like to add that it is not a bad thing if you have these skills on your cv as long as you actually have them. I would suggest that you use a skill based cv where you give examples of instances where you have used these skills.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please Is A Job In Standard Flour Mills Worth It? / How To Get Anything You Want / Entrepreneur Seminar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.