Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,575 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute (13247 Views)

SA Pastor Who Makes His Congregation Eat Snakes, Beaten, His Church Burnt Down / Oyedepo’s Church, Winners Chapel Burnt Down Over Purported Support For Jonathan / BBC Calls Winners Chapel "Witchcraft Church" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Genuinegists: 8:57am On Dec 13, 2012
Suspected arsonists burnt down a Living Faith Church on Wednesday December 12, destroying property worth millions of naira.

According to the provincial Pastor of the church, Timothy Olaniyan, he got a distress call at about five in the evening informing him about the incident at his church on Airport road, Ilorin.

Reports claim the church and a group were involved in a land dispute and recently the co- secretary of the Nigeria Inter-Religious Council (NIREC), Prof. Ish’aq Oloyede had visited the site with some members of the group.

“We had reported the matter to the Commissioner of Police and wrote a letter to Gov. Abdulfattah Ahmed, who directed his Deputy Chief of staff, Mr Leke Ogungbe, to handle the matter.

“Also one Sharia Court judge, Alhaji Saliu Mohammed, came and said that the Emir of Ilorin instructed him to mediate in the matter in order to ensure peace.

“At about 8.pm on Monday, we noticed some strange people flashing touch light to the church from a distance.

“Again, we reported to the police only for us to wake up to see a burnt church on Wednesday morning,’’ he said.

Ogungbe, who visited the scene, appealed for calm and urged the church members not to embark on reprisal attack. “It is quite unfortunate that the incident happened, even the security agency is aware of my mediating role,’’ he said.

He assured the public that government would ensure security of lives and property in the state.

Muyideen Akorede, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Media, also said that government had directed security agents to investigate the incident with a view to allowing the law to take its full course.

The disturbing incident drew a number of reactions. The Kwara chapters of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) condemned the burning of the church.

CAN Secretary in the state, Rev. Cornelius Fawenu, told NAN that the association would demand that justice be done.

“We are not going to lie low as we did in the past; CAN would explore all means to get to the root of the arson,” Fawenu said.

The NLC chairman in the state, Umar Akanbi, also described the incident as unfortunate, saying: “We don’t need this kind of thing in Kwara.’’

The NLC boss called for religious tolerance and understanding between adherents of the different religions.

In his reaction, the Chairman of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Kwara chapter, Shakir Akorode, said it was dastardly for anyone to burn down a sacred place of worship.

“I don’t believe that any sane person would commit such a dastardly act. I am sure the fire outbreak is an accident.

“In Kwara State, everybody lives in harmony with one another. Government should investigate the fire and fish out the culprits, ’’ Akorode said.

cc:http://www./fight-over-lan

Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by WilyWily5: 9:54am On Dec 13, 2012
I said it, Yorubas Moslems are superior than Yoruba Christians, nothing is going to stop them from taking what belong to them, whether they like it or not Islam will rule and take over all Yorubaland.
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 13, 2012
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by WilyWily5: 11:03am On Dec 13, 2012
Look at that burnt Church, that is the power of Yoruba Moslems, they have flexed their Muscles telling the Yoruba Christian how superior they are. Nothing will ever stop Islam from taking over YorubaLand, that is Gods will we most respect that. Yoruba Moslems are superior than Yoruba Christians
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by etenyong(m): 12:53pm On Dec 13, 2012
Dear LORD pls have mercy on dem for they no not wat d do. Let live in peace. But why d first five comments been hidden. Just asking oooo.
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 13, 2012
My post has been hidden!
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Bibol(f): 12:56pm On Dec 13, 2012
Why would NANS President call this an accident?
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Bibol(f): 12:56pm On Dec 13, 2012
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 13, 2012
Evil
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by naijabigfish: 12:57pm On Dec 13, 2012
I must admit another religious crisis looms in Ilorin. Who says Islam is a religion of peace?
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Nobody: 12:58pm On Dec 13, 2012
berem: My post has been hidden!

The poster sef has been hidden. Where are you
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Akshow: 1:08pm On Dec 13, 2012
naijabigfish: I must admit another religious crisis looms in Ilorin. Who says Islam is a religion of peace?
oh please Dont be ridiculous. Yoruba muslims are Liberal i know that cos i have family members who are muslim so hold your propaganda Abeg.
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 13, 2012
Why the hatred,will burning the church solve he problem at hand? It will only fan the ember of discord among xtians,and moslem. This is barbaric act.
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by DANILSA(m): 1:09pm On Dec 13, 2012
naijabigfish: I must admit another religious crisis looms in Ilorin. Who says Islam is a religion of peace?
YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED TILL 13/13/13 FOR INSULTING...................
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by tomakint: 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2012
I heard the news this morning too, trust me the Bishop himself ('Papa' Oyedepo) will respond in kind!!! I trust him for that, the battle has gone spiritual, dem go soon hear am!!!

8 Likes

Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by tomakint: 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2012
berem: My post has been hidden!

***tomakint sobs and hand over a tissue to berem, saying baby don't worry, shiiit like this are bound to happen whenever sensitive topics like this comes up for debate. Berem with bleary eyes collects the tissue and lean on tomakint's shoulder still sobbing*** cool

2 Likes

Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Teejayphillip(m): 1:19pm On Dec 13, 2012
May God ave mercy...... sad
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 13, 2012
tomakint:

***tomakint sobs and hand over a tissue to berem, saying baby don't worry, shiiit like this are bound to happen whenever sensitive topics like comes up for debate. Berem with bleary eyes collects the tissue and lean on tomakint's shoulder still sobbing*** cool
aaaaww! That's so romantic of you!*grabs tomakint and gives him a deep kiss*

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by tomakint: 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2012
berem: aaaaww! That's so romantic of you!*grabs tomakint and gives him a deep kiss*

***tomakint unzips and the next thing berem screamed and dashed out*** hmnnnn tomakint wonders why? shocked
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2012
lipsrsealed
okpara ugo:

The poster sef has been hidden. Where are you
see me for here bros.ayam hiding too.
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by xtayle(m): 1:30pm On Dec 13, 2012
I can smell religious hatred but I don't think there will be reprisal as the Church belongs to no one but God. He will fight for his Church. I pity anyone who is involved. It would have been better if yhey were not born at all.

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by batiatus(m): 1:33pm On Dec 13, 2012
the land dispute has being going on for sometime now. is unfortunate it wasnt resolved. cant remember the details of the dispute. am not suprised with what just happened. the muslims didnt want the church to be there because the land wasnt meant for that but the christians still went ahead to build it.

we all talk about freedom of religion practice but every freedom has its limitation. remembered when a mosque was to be built in warri, the choice of land was an issue. they had to change land 3 times but the host community didnt agree with the initial two arrangement. they said no loudspeakers and they agree, compromise. winners were not ready to make compromise, and of course that will generate bad blood. only few will understand the point am making.

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by kaiboy: 1:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
Who says isalm is a religion of peace.God hv mercy on them tongue
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by taharqa: 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2012
tomakint:

***tomakint unzips and the next thing berem screamed and dashed out*** hmnnnn tomakint wonders why? shocked
Bwahahaha....she see wetin pass am na, lol
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by abdulkayus(m): 2:08pm On Dec 13, 2012
bigot are havin a fill day abusin Islam, their Prophet and God dat we all worship 2geda. did u ppl tend to ask wat happen or wat cause d problem.Though, i dont support d burning of d church, bt let get d root. And batiatus has said it all.
CIAO
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by TreasuredGlory: 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2012
This is so bad! May God have mercy on these people. No man can ever fight for God; otherwise He's no longer God. What do we stand to gain by being violent? Please, let us live peaceably with one another. If u die today (God forbids!), will you make heaven? Pls think on this.
Re: Winners Chapel In Ilorin Burnt Down Over Land Dispute by Decapo: 2:17pm On Dec 13, 2012
FIRE BuRN THEM!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Motivates You To Worship God??? / Does God Really Answer Prayers? / Mattew Vs Luke: A Contradictory Gospel (part2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.