Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! (11986 Views)

A Nairalander Retakes photo Of His Mum And Siblings After 24 Years / Attn Kanwuilia: Five Siblings Marry On Same Day! / Tragedy: 3 Siblings Die In Lagos Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by wales(m): 1:20am On Dec 15, 2012
Five children between the ages of four and 12 were killed in an inferno in the Kirikiri area of Lagos State on Thursday.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that the five children, Emeka 12, Ifeanyi 10, Chinasa eight, Joy six, and Bright four, who are of the same parents, were burnt alive at their home located at 29 Comfort Oboh Street, Kirikiri.

The parents of the victims were identified as Ogbonna and Margaret Igwuagwu.

Our correspondent learnt that although over 30 people live in the compound, which was completely consumed by the fire, only the five children died.

Sympathisers were said to have surrounded the premises crying and wailing over the incident, while charred remains of the victims were being evacuated.

According to residents, the fire started at about 11.30 pm in the room where the five children were sleeping and later spread to other rooms all made of wood.

The parents of the children were said to have locked them inside the room and lit a candle for them as there was no electricity supply.

Neighbours said it was the usual habit of the parents to lock the children inside the room whenever they were going to their shop in the evening.

It was learnt that the children slept off while the candle fell, thereby spreading the fire to other parts of the room. Woken by the heat, they were said to have shouted for help while the fire raged, but neighbours were too busy saving themselves.

One of the neighbours said the eldest son, Emeka, had begged his parents not to lock them in but allow them to spend sometime outside but their mother refused.

“I can vividly remember when Mama Emeka ordered her children to go and sleep, saying that she needed to go back to attend to customers who were waiting for her. Emeka, the eldest, pleaded that they should be allowed to stay outside for a while.

“She insisted that they should go to bed since they were to travel the following day. I believe that it was in a bid to prevent them from running out of the house that she locked them inside and went away with the key,” she said.

Some neighbours told journalists that they heard the wailing of the children when the fire was raging, but could not break through to rescue them due to a hard burglar proof that was used at the entrance of the room.

According to residents who witnessed the incident, firefighters were informed but could not get to the scene due to bad roads in Kirirkiri.

A resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “The road is not passable and there is always traffic congestion in that area. Men of the Naval Fire Service got here first, but they could not help the situation because the damage had already been done.”

One of the tenants, Udoh Bassey, whose room was also burnt, told journalists that no one could say exactly what caused the fire.

“It started at about 11.30 pm when some of us were still awake. It was the cry from that room that attracted my attention. The entire compound was razed down before help could come our way. I was able to save a few of my property because my room was located far away from the source of the fire.

“The children died because their parents locked them inside the house and went back to their shops close by. We tried but before we could reach them, there was an explosion from one room to the other as all the other rooms were razed down.”

When contacted, spokesperson for the state police command, Ngozi Braide, said the parents of the victims had suffered shock and were rushed to hospital.

“At about 11.20pm, police received a call that a house in Kirikiri was on fire. The house was made of wood and corrugated iron sheets and the fire engulfed it. Five children died in the fire,” she said.

Link: http://www.punchng.com/news/five-siblings-die-in-lagos-fire/

Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Adufaye(m): 3:45am On Dec 15, 2012
Chai,wat a world! 5pikin die once,dis 1 don pas witch handwrk....sad...cryin r.i.p 2 doz kids,future leader's 4 dat mata..d mama n papa go fyn am difficult 2 get dos amount of kid's bak..if d world wan end make e end,instead of treatin us bad evry day embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by greatgod2012(f): 5:16am On Dec 15, 2012
Rest in peace to d innocent children!
However, if this shi...t happens in oyinboland, im quite sure d parents of d deceased will be arrested for their action
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 15, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by k2039: 8:11am On Dec 15, 2012
Whose fault.

If PHCN gave us un interrupted power supply, would this have happened.

For those blaming the parents, IMHO, she went to make money, afterall the kids and family will eat.

Though I will advise people to use electric lamps and tourchs, but it just occured to me that in cases where their has'nt beeen light for 3 or more days the electric lamps must have gonne off and not even a lot of people can afford a generator.

All thesame may God grant their families the fortitude to bear the irrepairable loss.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by dominique(f): 8:12pm On Dec 15, 2012
I made an earlier comment blaming the parents for the horrible tragedy but now thinking about it again, I don't think so anymore.
No SANE parent will leave their alone in a candle-lit room. Most likely that Power went out and the children didn't want to stay in a dark room. Its just a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented, I can imagine all the 'what ifs' that would be going through the parents mind. I don't think anybody can get over this kind of loss sad
May the children RIP. What a horrible way to go cry
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Blazay(m): 9:58pm On Dec 15, 2012
What a way to end the year!
Tragic! kiss
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by OmoKhary(f): 2:21am On Dec 16, 2012
Who do we blame?the government 4 makin useless commitees 2 make laws,or phcn 4 failin in thr duty,the government 4 embezzlin our money instead of creatin jobs so as to reduce criminals n ritualists n our society so that we nigerians wnt cage ourselves in fear?who?heard d mother died,sad weekend.what a way 2 countdown 2 2012.osaneranwven wat is happenin?
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by ifyalways(f): 5:30am On Dec 16, 2012
Failed parents
Failed country.

Why would anyone lock anyone in a house and go out with the keys?

Country is messed up, nothing works, I'm sure the other tenants were more concerned with saving their okirika as opposed to making an effort to rescue those kids.

Sad, sad news.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by maclatunji: 6:54am On Dec 16, 2012
dominique: I made an earlier comment blaming the parents for the horrible tragedy but now thinking about it again, I don't think so anymore.
No SANE parent will leave their alone in a candle-lit room. Most likely that Power went out and the children didn't want to stay in a dark room. Its just a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented, I can imagine all the 'what ifs' that would be going through the parents mind. I don't think anybody can get over this kind of loss sad
May the children RIP. What a horrible way to go cry

People should stop using candles and kerosene lanterns. They aren't cheaper and there are so many cheap rechargeable and battery powered LED lamps you can use nowadays without public electricity supply.

This happens all-too-often. I wouldn't mind a law banning the use of candles and kerosene lanterns in homes.

If you are a leader in this country who is contributing to the massive poverty and lack of education of our people, I rest your case with God.

This is awfully sad. May God give these parents the strength to cope with this tragedy.

1 Like

Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by maclatunji: 7:02am On Dec 16, 2012
ifyalways: Failed parents
Failed country.

Why would anyone lock anyone in a house and go out with the keys?

Country is messed up, nothing works, I'm sure the other tenants were more concerned with saving their okirika as opposed to making an effort to rescue those kids.

Sad, sad news.

Quite an unfair comment. Nigerians risk their lives daily in such situations. What many people do during domestic fires is the stuff heroes are made-of.

You fail to realise that many domestic fire victims die of suffocation before the fire touches them. Carbon Monoxide is extremely lethal.

One should not wait to see the flames when there is a fire alert- get out swiftly before the smoke overwhelms you.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by ifyalways(f): 9:08am On Dec 16, 2012
^ this is not a debate so I actually don't need you quoting me and going on the "fairness" scale with my post.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by cytellProperty: 4:56pm On Dec 17, 2012
This is an old news now.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 17, 2012
chai, what a tragedy
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by dukenestor(m): 5:00pm On Dec 17, 2012
Eyaah
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by highlandre(m): 5:09pm On Dec 17, 2012
"...the road was not passable". And some people would same govt shouldn't be blamed for everything..

Sincere RIP to the kids
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Revolva(m): 5:09pm On Dec 17, 2012
I know that street na hey na wa o 5 pikin roasted !!! Oo lad
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Stegomiah: 5:10pm On Dec 17, 2012
Very sad; don't forget 2 pray 4 ur family members, ember demons @ work, can't count number of deaths recorded on dis site, dis month alone. Devil is a liar, we shall overcome nd make it 2 2013. Wetin 2012 still dey do, abeg cum pack ya load jahwe!
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by redcliff: 5:10pm On Dec 17, 2012
[size=20pt]na wa o.. wetin dey happen this mber month ooooo....[/size]
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 17, 2012
Such a parent should spend the rest of her life in Jail.
How could one be so insensitive as to locking up those children. iSmh ! What a shame.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 17, 2012
I wonder how our leaders feel when they hear such news.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by tomakint: 5:15pm On Dec 17, 2012
****tomakint places hands on head and shouts while crying, "Ikunle a bi yamo oo"****
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by biolabee(m): 5:17pm On Dec 17, 2012
this is not about candles or kerosene

In the Westen world from what my aunt tells me, she cant leave her 12 year old son unaccompanied in the homes
When i was growing up, my folks left me at times with my siblings locked UP! in the home

Sorry for the loss,it was avoidable
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Kaxmytex(m): 5:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Gee001: 5:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
Baba God na ur leg i dey cos pple wey dey ur hands don plenty. Wot's happening in Nigeria? Death evrwhr. Not just ordinary death but tragic and painful ones. RIP 2 dem all. Its so sad. No need 2 point accusing fingers cos wot's been done is alrdy done. *sad*
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by 401kk: 5:20pm On Dec 17, 2012
Stupid parents, now they have to start all over again.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Kaxmytex(m): 5:21pm On Dec 17, 2012
[size=28pt]God almighty! Hv mercy on my soul o....it's 2 early 4 me 2 die o[/size]
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2012
do people still use candles? what happened to rechargeable torches and lanterns? too bad those kids died.o ma se o!
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 17, 2012
Dear Lord, pls grant their parents d fortitude to bear d loss, I can. Imagine an everlasting shock in dat family, RIP to dos precious kids!Gosh...I knw dia. Parents must have bought dia christmas cloths, nd. Plan. Ow d xmas would worth d while for dos kids.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 17, 2012
Who has noticed that most of the news coming out of Nigeria is Death? It isn't fraud, corruption or GEJ anymore. It is mostly death and in astronomical numbers.

Hmmmm.......I don't know what to say anymore.
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 17, 2012
[/b] Tragic. God please have mercy on your people [b]
Re: Five Siblings Die In Lagos Fire ! by TableLeg(m): 5:37pm On Dec 17, 2012
Tragic .....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Am I So Unemotional? / Divorce: Family Denies Court Granted Custody Of Children To Prophet / Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.