Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

True Life Story: How Contented Are You? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / True Life Story: How Contented Are You? (858 Views)

The Jobberman Story - How To Make Money From Recruiting In Africa / Gambling Can Wreck Your Life If You Don't Stop Now:A True Life Story / The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

True Life Story: How Contented Are You? by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 17, 2012
By Uju Onyechere

Sir Moses Salt, a successful business man, a dollar based multi – millionaire, and one of the richest men in his country, has just won a five hundred million dollars contract from the Federal Government.

From his chauffeur – driven limousine, he got down and rushed inside his house. He ascended his staircase with excitement, held his wife lovingly and gave her a hard kiss, and with tears of joy in his eyes said, “Honey, I’ve done it again.” He walked over to his music machine, put it on and began to dance joyfully to a delightful music.

But no sooner had he started doing this that he had a telephone call, his friend was on the line hastily telling him of a project worth $1 billion. On hearing this, he walked to one of his chairs, sank in it and started thinking on how to win this BIG one! He was no more interested in that little money. He wanted more. Not long after this, he was nominated the mayor of his city.

On the day he was sworn in, he was the happiest man all over. He was going from one friend to the other, receiving congratulatory messages via telephone, telex, cable etc. During the installation party the Governor strolled in and all attention temporarily shifted to him. Sir Moses Salt looked at himself and felt insignificant to the marrow. He immediately put on his garb of “run - for – it”, saying to himself anxiously “This honour is just too much. I can see that being a mayor is not the end to life. I will surely get this governorship seat”.

And just a year after this episode, the largest telecommunication company in the country and solely owned by him was commissioned. The whole citizens doffed their hats for him and he felt on top of the world. But just within that week, - Salt began to view himself as a nonentity and the poorest fellow in the country, yes; the contentment seat of his life was actually still vacant and crying for the rightful occupier.

Greed comes out of poor self-esteem, which manifests itself as false pride, pretense or keeping up with the neighbours. The way out of greed is to learn to live within your means and be satisfied. Being contented does not mean lacking ambition.

Take a look at what is happening in our country today. I think some people are simply insane. For how could you define the crazy for wealth that has come to be the other of the day? You see people in public office stealing public money, money they won't need in their lifetime. Yet others very close to them are dying of poverty.

Dear reader, while going for more, take time to enjoy and appreciate the little God has made available to you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Must You Really Start Your Own Business? / Please I Need Your Advice On The Genuity Of This Website....... / Forbes Africa Person Of The Year Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.