Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,162 members, 7,860,162 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:03 AM

Abuja Weather: Harsh And Punishing! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abuja Weather: Harsh And Punishing! (1300 Views)

Weather Forecast Across Nigeria Today / Weather Forecast Across Nigeria Today / See How Nigerians Seek Asyllum Under Harsh Conditions In South Africa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Weather: Harsh And Punishing! by Abujafood: 10:25am On Dec 17, 2012
If you live in Abuja, you'll agree with me when I say the Sun has decided to punish us! The weather has been anything but wonderful! Enjoy this little piece

Abuja is called the center of unity, centrally located geographically in Nigeria, it is the meeting point of all of Nigeria’s over 250 ethnic groups. It is also a beautiful city by Nigerian standards and is a very well developed metropolis.

But Abuja has a harsh element to its identity which is the weather. For most of the Year Abuja records average maximum daily temperatures of over 30 degrees Celsius making it a bit of an ‘oven’ to people from cooler climes on visit or temporary stay in Abuja. Below we take a closer look at the abuja seasons and weather climate.

Harmattan Season

What you’ll need: a sweater and lip balm

The Harmattan which is a season characterized by low temperature, dry dusty winds and low humidity usually starts in mid December and could continue till early March is notorious for its cold early mornings or late nights. Have a sweater handy when the Harmattan comes because the nights would certainly be cold. Also to protect your dry skin and lips against cracking have some lip balm such as Vaseline handy as well. It could be a real saver against chapped skin.

Rainy Season

What you’ll need: Umbrella and good shoes

Like most of Nigeria, Abuja experiences rainy season starting from April when the south west trade wind brings rainfall from the Atlantic. During this time rainfall is unpredictable because it can just pour out abruptly almost without warning or even heavier than expected. Never underestimate an Abuja rain because it could be more powerful than you anticipate.

Hot dry Season

What you’ll need: a hat, bright clothing and lots of water

Starting from early January, the heat in the city becomes almost unbearable especially during afternoons. Although this period is part of the harmattan day time in the city can become really hot and dry. The dry season lasts into late April or early May and can be quite punishing if you are unprepared.

http://www.abujafood.com/news-digest/bite/1054-abuja-weather-harsh-and-cold.html
Re: Abuja Weather: Harsh And Punishing! by londoner: 2:28pm On Dec 17, 2012
Abujafood.....would u mind taking some pics around Abuja for us here? Just on your daily travels around town?
Re: Abuja Weather: Harsh And Punishing! by Abujafood: 5:52pm On Dec 17, 2012
@londoner

Sure but not daily, only when opportunity beckons!
Re: Abuja Weather: Harsh And Punishing! by larrymoore(m): 9:33pm On Dec 17, 2012
Abuja weather! No way. I heard it's usually extreme.
Re: Abuja Weather: Harsh And Punishing! by londoner: 6:51am On Dec 18, 2012
Abujafood: @londoner

Sure but not daily, only when opportunity beckons!

@Abuja food...thank u

I cant wait..... I LOVE MY ABUJA !!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Safest Airline For 2015. / New Zealand Development Scholarships For African Students 2016/2017 / 5 Architecturally Most Advanced Cities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.