Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,057 members, 7,838,681 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? (615 Views)

Which Is The Most Popular Nigerian Language Among Nigerians? / Nigerian Navy Urges Unity Among Nigerians / "how Far?" Is The Most Popular Slang Among Nigerians Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? by GeneralJ(m): 5:05am On Dec 18, 2012
Tribalism among nigerians especially between ibo and yoruba cultures is very rampant, take for example, almost every thread on this forum has to have at least one tribalist post on there, why is it like this, why can't nigerians just work together for once and come together as a nation, instead of blaming this tribe for the whole country's problems and blaming the other tribe for doing this or doing that, isn't that why were supposed to be a country to work together, yet we keep blaming our leaders, maybe if we didn't really care if the president was from the north or south u never know the country might be better today.
So back to my question, can anybody answer why tribalism is so rampant among Nigerians?
Re: Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:14am On Dec 18, 2012
because we are tribals.
Re: Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? by GeneralJ(m): 6:08am On Dec 18, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
because we are tribals.
but how does that instill the hatred many nigerians have towards different tribes b'cos they're not from the tribe, i mean look how backward the country is already, can't they just move forward from their differences and just work together
Re: Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? by k2039: 6:35am On Dec 18, 2012
Because that was what our founding fathers passed down to us and most of us are dumb not to know it's not any different from the racism we condemn.
Re: Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? by ifyalways(f): 4:13pm On Dec 18, 2012
I hope you don't take to heart the rantings by internet Nigerians on nld?

We are tribals, each tribe passionate about themselves but offline, we interact and co-exist peacefully.

What happens on nld is an opposite of what's obtainable real life.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:30pm On Dec 18, 2012
^^^^^^she said it all. As tribals, it is our duty to be proud of our respective tribes. i would not resent an Igbo or a Jukun to be proud of his/her tribe and in the process insult mine. That is his/her birthright. however it would be better to avoid the insults.
Re: Why Is Tribalism So Rampant Among Nigerians??? by GeneralJ(m): 2:07am On Dec 19, 2012
ifyalways: I hope you don't take to heart the rantings by internet Nigerians on nld?

We are tribals, each tribe passionate about themselves but offline, we interact and co-exist peacefully.

What happens on nld is an opposite of what's obtainable real life.
Not just the rantings on nairaland, take for example, i was at a store the other day (in Nigeria) two yoruba women were having a discussion, this was just after Yar'adua had died, these two yoruba women were talking about the FG and presidency guess what one of them said and i quote "they cannot let a igbo person become president of this country, it just can't happen" exactly what she said and this woman was a christain attends deeper life, i knew her

(1) (Reply)

What Christian Must! Must!! Know. / Watch This Nigerian Video In A Youtube Contest - Do I Look Nigerian? / Can You Organise Your Own Funeral Just To Have Fun?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.