Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,131 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! (1559 Views)

Raffi Freedman-Gurspan, First Transgender White House Official (Photos) / US Gay Marriage: Robert Mugabe Asks Obama's Hand In Marriage / France Celebrates First Gay Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 18, 2012
U.S. Marine Corps Capt. Matthew Phelps made history Saturday at the home of his commander in chief.

The 35-year-old active-duty officer proposed to his boyfriend, Ben Schock, 26, in the Grand Foyer of the White House at the end of a holiday tour.

It's believed to be the first time two gay men have gotten engaged inside the White House, and a first for an active-duty member of the U.S. military. A transgender man proposed to his partner in the East Room earlier this year.

"Our first date was to the White House, so I wanted to propose to him there," Phelps told ABC News. "When I got invited to the holiday tour - six months to the day that we had been there on our first date - it was way too much of a coincidence to pass up."

The moment, which Phelps described as a complete surprise to Schock, was captured on camera by fellow tour-goers. Some of the images have since gone viral online.

The White House declined to comment on the engagement. No word on whether the Obamas knew what happened in their halls.

Phelps said his public engagement - made possible in part because of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - has been well-received among his Marine Corps peers. But he noted that there could be a rocky road ahead for their relationship after the nuptials planned for next spring.

"The one thing that is overshadowing things," he said, "is the fact that the Defense of Marriage Act is still in effect and the DOD [Defense Department] isn't going to recognize our marriage.

"I'm expecting to get orders to Japan next summer, but as of right now, because they're not going to recognize Ben as my spouse, they're not going to pay for him to accompany me; he's not going to have any health care coverage; and, he's not going to have access to the base while I'm gone," he said.

"I'd have to get permission to live out in town as a 'single officer,' so we'll have to figure that out," he said.

The Supreme Court will later this year review the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage for federal purposes as between one man and one woman.

Courtesy: ngn blog

Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by AbdulAdam56(m): 1:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
Subhannallah shocked

1 Like

Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 18, 2012
Abdul Adam56: Subhannallah shocked

I was shocked when I saw the news, it is total madness, if you ask me... angry
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by REDBULL1(m): 2:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
Damnation!!!
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 18, 2012
Abdul Adam56: Subhannallah shocked
which one is subhannallah now? D last time i checked everyone has d freedom to choose whoever he wants to marry and everyone has the right to make his sexual preference,abi is it ur anus that they will be inserting their somthing inside :p mr man take your time o,subnalilayi ko hawuszu bi true ni 8-)
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Jaykizz(m): 8:15pm On Dec 18, 2012
Choi!na wa o...dis world is comin to an end.
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by slimchi2k2(m): 10:32pm On Dec 18, 2012
disgusting
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 19, 2012
The one on the right cracks me up. He is gay beyond gay. grin
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Joyeux: 5:47am On Dec 19, 2012
Since they are enjoying themselves is their business.
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Callotti: 6:48am On Dec 19, 2012
Praise the GOD of Sodom! kiss
America da beautiful! kiss
I loooooove this land of the freeeeeee and braaaaaave!!!!! undecided
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 19, 2012
Callotti: Praise the GOD of Sodom! kiss
America da beautiful! kiss
I loooooove this land of the freeeeeee and braaaaaave!!!!! undecided

grin cry
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Willy7(m): 10:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
Anyway good for them,atleast its not in Aso rock.This aspect is d only area Nigeria seem to be more saner than d US.God bless Nigeria
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by jmoore(m): 10:52am On Dec 20, 2012
Insanity!!! Bestial marriage coming soon, man marries a dog only in USA.
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 20, 2012
jmoore: Insanity!!! Bestial marriage coming soon, man marries a dog only in USA.

shocked
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by inuyasha01(m): 11:08am On Dec 25, 2012
kulyie: which one is subhannallah now? D last time i checked everyone has d freedom to choose whoever he wants to marry and everyone has the right to make his sexual preference,abi is it ur anus that they will be inserting their somthing inside :p mr man take your time o.
Abeg sharrrapp there jor na wetin u know. Is this how it was ordained by God? As the saying goes Adam was created for Eve and not for steve so be a good boy and run off nonsense;>
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 25, 2012
inuyasha01:
Abeg sharrrapp there jor na wetin u know. Is this how it was ordained by God? As the saying goes Adam was created for Eve and not for steve so be a good boy and run off nonsense;>
merry xmas slowpoke cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 25, 2012
kulyie: merry xmas nice guycheesy cheesy cheesy
smiley
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 25, 2012
DailyNews: smiley
same to you honey smiley
Re: First Gay Marriage In White House: Gay Marine Proposes At White House! by mazaje(m): 6:54pm On Dec 25, 2012
FUCKKKKK gays. . .

(1) (Reply)

Russia Vows Shoot Down US Missiles Fired At Syria And Bomb Launch Sites . / Common East African Market Protocal: Federation In 2015. Where Be West Africa? / Adieu Madiba, Gone Too Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.