Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue (5844 Views)

What Can U Guys Say About This Nissan? Can I Buy It? / Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated) / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by TCann(m): 3:00pm On Dec 18, 2012
Actually, there's nothing wrong with d SUV, only that I feel the transmission is lazy in picking d higher gear. For instance, if u throttle down to move, an average pathfinder or isuzu rodeo or 1999-2000 model 4runner picking up at that same time would have gone past me (even fellow xterras of the same year model would gazz me). Could there be a reason for this laziness of the transmission? Can anything be done about this situation in terms of transmission
servicing? OR bluntly speaking, am I the one feeling so?

Summary of the issue is...for me, it doesn't pick up speed quick enough when at idle or 0 rpm and it drags d gear a lil too long b4 transmitting it to gear 2.

Thanks in anticipation of your suggestions.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by nissparts(m): 3:43pm On Dec 18, 2012
Drive the car for about 5 minutes, park and check the ATF level on the dipstick.
Any "check engine/service engine soon" light?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by youngchopper(m): 4:35pm On Dec 18, 2012
Ma pathy was doing dix rubbish. Just 2day i notic the air vaccum box or wateva its been called was missing. I advice u to take ur car to a competend garage with anoda xterra of dsame model of urs. Try to check wats missing in urs. Guess u just bought dat fuel guzler. Sorry exterra.
nissparts: Drive the car for about 5 minutes, park and check the ATF level on the dipstick.
Any "check engine/service engine soon" light?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by TCann(m): 9:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
Thks @nissparts & youngchopper, I was fortunate to have a good bro as a dealer who bought my Xterra for me from d states. In the past 2 yrs that I have owned and driven the Xterra, I have been grateful. So far, I have not seen anything crazy (anyway in mine sha) in d fuel consumption of d Xterra o, considering the fact that its an SUV and a V6, u can't just compare it with a sedan I4 or V6 and of course, things an Xterra will do for u in some situations, a sedan won't be able to deliver that performance!
Sorry, back to d issue, why could it be slow in picking up speed?
'Service engine soon' light will always come up again soon as u clear it with d computer, I guess majorly because Nissan generally including d Xterra are highly electrical and sensitive vehicles and just about any mundane issue can trigger the 'service engine' light on.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by TCann(m): 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
@Nissparts, The ATF is intact and at max level.

Can d Auto trans be serviced?

Thanks for dropping by.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by jodeci(m): 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2012
Whatever could be responsible for the "SES" could as well be responsible for the drag,have u Scanned the car to know whats responsible for the SES light?

Whats the state of your O2 sensors or your oxygen sensor heaters? if any of the 2 is faulty,the engine will drag and that will also affect your take off speed.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by TCann(m): 3:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
@jodeci, thks. I'll follow up on your suggestions.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 23, 2012
T-Cann:
'Service engine soon' light will always come up again soon as u clear it with d computer, I guess majorly because Nissan generally including d Xterra are highly electrical and sensitive vehicles and just about any mundane issue can trigger the 'service engine' light on.
I'm afraid you're wrong there. The SES light will nag you until you solve the problem. Just clearing the codes is like sweeping dirt under the carpet; it remains in your house grin. So pull the codes and let's see what's all about. It's most likely to be the first step in solving your issue. Good luck.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by TCann(m): 1:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
Costee:
I'm afraid you're wrong there. The SES light will nag you until you solve the problem. Just clearing the codes is like sweeping dirt under the carpet; it remains in your house grin. So pull the codes and let's see what's all about. It's most likely to be the first step in solving your issue. Good luck.

Ok, I'll be back soon! smiley
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Rutse: 9:51am On Sep 16, 2013
Having similar issues with my nissan xterra 2000. Changed the post catalyst oxygen sensor and distributor(including power transitor, coil and camshaft sensor) but still draging with gear change from 1 to 2 and slow take off speed. I also drained and replace ATF with seahorse dextron 3 (6.5litres). ♧°˚NÕ̾°˚♧. Check engine light currently. Pls T-cann have you sorted yours out? What did you do?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by nissparts(m): 10:08am On Sep 16, 2013
Rutse, scan the vehicle and come back with the code
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Rutse: 11:46am On Sep 16, 2013
♧°˚NÕ̾°˚♧. Code. I scanned with my personal OBD 11 scanner. I was thinking of changing my plugs and engine oil from mobil xhp to mobil 1 5w-30. I am just confused, don't knw if this would solve it
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by TCann(m): 12:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
Rutse: Having similar issues with my nissan xterra 2000. Changed the post catalyst oxygen sensor and distributor(including power transitor, coil and camshaft sensor) but still draging with gear change from 1 to 2 and slow take off speed. I also drained and replace ATF with seahorse dextron 3 (6.5litres). ♧°˚NÕ̾°˚♧. Check engine light currently. Pls T-cann have you sorted yours out? What did you do?
[

Did all that the experts advised but i wasn't totally satisfied really, though it improved, i mean the pick up speed from idle, transmitting to gear 1 and subsequent gears. I have driven other truck based SUVs and I came to the conclusion that that level of pick up speed may just be peculiar to nissan xterra and does not necessarily mean that there's something wrong with the ride. Bro, pray for me that I'll be able to 'port' to another, come November/December. But I doubt it will be Nissan again, ToyoTruck all the way!!! grin grin

Cheers.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by nissparts(m): 3:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
Rutse, how long have you driven the SUV?
Did you just start noticing the lag or it has always been there?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Rutse: 4:56pm On Sep 17, 2013
@nissiparts ... The lag started about ǻ year ago after car overheated. I just stabilized the fan and did 1st oil change with total oil then noticed It̶̲̥̅̊ on driving home. I scanned then and the codes where p0141, p0325, p0160 and p0140. I changed both post catalyst oxygen sensor and distributor. Check engine light went off and ♧°˚NÕ̾°˚♧. Code on scanning but lag still persisted. I went ahead to service transmission by washing transmission filter and ATF change but lag still persisted
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Rutse: 10:15am On Sep 18, 2013
@nissipart... Does overfilling engine oil have effect on engine performance? I was thinking since It̶̲̥̅̊ started after engine oil change, probably overfilling. I use 5litres but reading through my manual today discovered that I need about 3.3litres. Still xpecting your reply
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by nissparts(m): 10:54am On Sep 18, 2013
It may.
Your engine is definitely overfilled at 5 litres.
If you observe RPM vibrations as well you should consider changing the PCV valve
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Rutse: 11:52am On Sep 18, 2013
@nissparts. What is RPM vibrations? I know for It̶̲̥̅̊ to change from gear 1 to 2 , I have to rev hard up to 2500rpm with loud noise then release my feet from acceleration abit before It̶̲̥̅̊ changes with ǻ forward jerk. It̶̲̥̅̊ has been like this since after 1st oil change last year, not progressive, still enters reverse, park or drive without hesistancy. Let me change to mobil 1 engine oil, put the 4litre and see if any improvement. Where is the PCR valve located?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by nissparts(m): 1:23pm On Sep 18, 2013
That symptom you have described is not engine related.
However, still drain the oil and put in 3 1/2 litres.
RPM vibration is when you see your tachometer fluctuating or you feel the engine shaking slightly while idle.
The symptoms you describe sound transmission related. Are you in Lagos?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Rutse: 4:07pm On Sep 18, 2013
Would be in oghara close to benin until month ending b4 returning to bayelsa. Do you have ǻ repair station in benin?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by nissparts(m): 5:35pm On Sep 18, 2013
Unfortunately no
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by cretin: 6:17pm On Sep 18, 2013
Rutse: Having similar issues with my nissan xterra 2000. Changed the post catalyst oxygen sensor and distributor(including power transitor, coil and camshaft sensor) but still draging with gear change from 1 to 2 and slow take off speed. I also drained and replace ATF with seahorse dextron 3 (6.5litres). ♧°˚NÕ̾°˚♧. Check engine light currently. Pls T-cann have you sorted yours out? What did you do?

dude..the items in red might be ur problem....nissan/honda etc are very sensititve transmissions..and require special fluids...find the correct fluid for ur car...n refill....drive for a week..if u notice any improvement...drain and refill again with original nissan atf. [to further dilute the rubbish called seahorse or abro] u put inside the car.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by Rutse: 1:47pm On Sep 19, 2013
@cretin... Nissan xterra 2000 uses dextron III hence I went for seahorse dextron III which was the only brand I saw to buy.

I was able to drain the excess engine oil (removed about 2litre leaving about 3litre behind), checked the gauze and was just ok. I drove the car around. The hesistancy reduced but It̶̲̥̅̊ still drag and jerks b4 gear change. I read through the manual and discovered that It̶̲̥̅̊ should change from gear 1 to 2 at 15mph and gear 2 to 3 at 25mph which the cars did perfectly well. What could be responsible for the reving and single jerk before the gear change? Also noticed that the seal in the engine oil tank is leaking oil into the collecting pan underneath the car. Could there be sludge in the engine? Can I use oil flush? What type is best?
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by cretin: 5:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
oh my bad 2000 xterra,...

grin
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by nissparts(m): 9:14am On Sep 20, 2013
Rutse, I think I may just have realized what is causing your issue.
You state you filled the ATF with 6.5 litres of Seahorse.
For a drain and fill, the maximum capacity for ATF is 4.5 litres.
You are unduly pressurizing the transmission and you will weaken the seals.
Drain at least 2.5 litres from the ATF and check again to make sure it is not ATF you see leaking instead of engine oil.
Re: Pls Help Me With Suggestions On This Nissan Xterra Transmission Issue by seek4yemi: 3:02pm On Jan 30, 2018
Guys I need your help, my Mum Nissan Xterra engine oil dry off itself after long distance, the mechanic said he need to change the engine or half engine, but the engine still sound well

(1) (Reply)

Should Heavy Duty Vehicles Be Banned From Roads During The Day / Diesel Engines: Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs / Toyota Corolla Doesn’t Start At Once In The Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.