Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Sections In Html5 - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Sections In Html5 (839 Views)

Image Elements In HTML5 / How To Set Meta Tags In HTML5 / My Free Javascript Html5 Bar Chart Script (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sections In Html5 by hoodboi(m): 10:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
What do you think about the section element in html5, where should it be used and how do you inteprete what the specs say to your own understanding.
Re: Sections In Html5 by yawatide(f): 1:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
HTML 5's SECTION TAG is synonymous with HTML 4's DIV tag. The only difference is that SECTION is more semantic.

Beware though - not all browsers support this, granted you can use these news tags in a progressive enhancement/graceful degradation kind of way.
Re: Sections In Html5 by dhtml(m): 11:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
Big big grammar.
Re: Sections In Html5 by hoodboi(m): 6:12pm On Dec 24, 2012
I really do not agree that they are synonymous, according to the spec. It was stated that section should not be seen as a substitute for the div tag and that the div tag should still be used. Also why don't you check out multicolumns...
Re: Sections In Html5 by yawatide(f): 8:04pm On Dec 24, 2012
^^^
It was stated that section should not be seen as a substitute for the div tag and that the div tag should still be used.
1) Hmm, where in my original response did I say this? Obviously, both have their uses and places to use. Both are also not to be substituted for the other. Look at what I wrote again. Maybe I wasn't clear. I will try again. Sorry about that:

A DIV divides a page into sections, though it isn't a SECTION tag. In other words, just like TABLE tags were used for layout, until DIV came along, so has DIV been used to cut up a page into sections, until SECTION came along. Can a DIV be used to do what a SECTION tag can do? Sure! But does that mean you should use it? No!

2) Why do I have to check out multicolumns? I already know what it is for and love that it can be done, albeit on certain browsers for now.

3) With so many smart people out there, I don't need to waste my time reading the specs. I just need to find a good book written by one of the smart ones and I am good to go wink

1 Like

Re: Sections In Html5 by hoodboi(m): 11:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sry no insults meant,jst noticed u r a female.dts impresive,neva met a female programa or web designer b4. U r ryt on al counts,jst dt d use cn b sumtyms confusn
Re: Sections In Html5 by guru01(m): 8:19am On Jan 08, 2013
<SECTION> TAG in html5 specify a section in the webpage.
So when you use a section element you are telling the browser that this is a section, and also NOTE that a section should have a heading.
E.g: <section><header><h3></h3></header><!--Followed by the section body</section>
There is a browser plugin called HTML5 outliner that is used to see how your webpage is outlined. I use this plugin installed in chrome.
Re: Sections In Html5 by solid3(m): 12:03pm On Jan 08, 2013
hmmm, nice to know.
Re: Sections In Html5 by guru01(m): 6:54pm On Jan 08, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Paypal To NGN - Pls Recommend A Trusted Party !!! / Benefits Of An Seo Consulting Firm Offering Seo Consulting Services To Clients / What's Wrong With Vanguard Online?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.