Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,366 members, 7,954,487 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:11 PM

Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : (855 Views)

Sentinel.sys / Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by ojesymsym: 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
I installed Ubuntu on my system and lost all my data. I did take al d precautions neccessary but lost a lot of important data. Some office documents are also lost. I need a software dat can recover data from a formatted HDD. Pls any info will be appreciated.
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:21am On Feb 19, 2008
you couldn't have followed all precautions maybe you chose the option for ubuntu to use the entire hard disk. Its a rule of thumb for the Os to preserve your files unless there was a problem with your drive. Do you still have windows installed after installing ubuntu ?
try http://wwwhandyrecovery.com
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by ojesymsym: 9:16am On Feb 19, 2008
I did take d precaution I suspect dat it did not overwrite XP, wat I suspect happend was dat wen it rebooted, i chose wat i tot was xp but i realise too late dat it was the self reinstalling partition in next sys nowadays dat was booted and dat overwrote everything even wen i tried to stop it. I just need to get my data out now.
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by esquire(m): 8:12pm On Feb 19, 2008
Firstly Ubuntu cannot overwrite your OS, windows does that with you installing windows after you might have installed ubuntu. What happened is that you made a mistake duiring the partition or you choose not to migrate you windows installation during the cause of installation in fiesty fawn so you cannot blame ubuntu here. You have two option as solution 1. Boot with the ubuntu live CD it will mount your windows partition if its still there then click on place then computer and you are going to see your windows and linux partitions then open the windows partition and save your files to a flashdrive from there. 2. Boot from an XP cd and located your linux partition and delete it (thread with caution not to delete your windows partition) then reboot you should have your windoze back that is if you've not really deleted it in your cause of installing linux. Good luck
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by ojesymsym: 3:50pm On Feb 25, 2008
Thanks, for ur advice
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by Ralvy(m): 4:43pm On Feb 25, 2008
English embarassed
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by bigrovar(m): 8:34pm On Feb 25, 2008
i dont know if u were the guy that called me some days ago, i promised to get to u as soon as i get an access to an internet connection, well here i am, (beside i think u definitely made a mistake with ur installation, i just doesnt happen, ubuntu would Never install on or wipe ur drive if u dont tell it to) well since u are still new i guess its aight to make mistakes, and am very sorry for the files u lost, ok here is the tutor i promised, its very detailed and u should not make any mistake if u follow the instruction on it which are very easy and simple for someone is a dummie wink so u should not have any problems at all , http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first for vista

and this http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu for xp ,

and this goes for any body who wants to install ubuntu on their computers, if u are having problems or need assistance call me 08022982697
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by sholasys: 11:26am On Feb 27, 2008
Bigrovar, I was the one that called you last wk. I Wasn't the one that had that problem although i learnt from it.
I will b installing the ubuntu 2day. I hav been waiting for you for the posting gd u hv postet it. Thanks man. I will start with a stand alone desktop PC b4 i install it on my laptop with Vista installed first.

Ubuntu LIVE IN PORTHARCOURT
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by darliniyke: 12:57pm On Feb 27, 2008
you can know alot about Ubuntu by contacting the ubuntu guru on this link, he's hotttttttttttt

http://forum.marketsandshops.com/

my it manager,i mean hi's superhot, you would say i said so. cheesy
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by sholasys: 2:41pm On Feb 27, 2008
I try to install ubuntu Gison 7.10 after i hv downloaded the image file and burn the ISO to now but experiencing sm difficulties in doing that
After the openning page where i can select to start installing ubuntu and after selecting it that, it will process for a while and latter hang.
i try to check for thr CD intergrity it show me that there is one file error. Gurus what can I Do ?
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:56pm On Feb 27, 2008
Now many things could be responsible for that. 1. It could be the iso wasn't downloaded properly, 2 it could be that the cd burning program didn't burn it well. 3 it might be an hardware issue. My advise why not try that cd on another machine, if it has the same problem then it should be the iso that has problem. However check ubuntunigeria. for how you can get a good cd from one of the representatives of the ubuntu nigeria project
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by esquire(m): 6:08pm On Feb 27, 2008
{I try to check for thr CD intergrity it show me that there is one file error}

See linux has been built to be error free and what causes error is nothing but improperly burnt cd so man DONT use it cause it obviously told you it has error. Contact Brovar he lives there in Lagos he can give u good cd. Cheerio
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by bigrovar(m): 8:53pm On Feb 27, 2008
sholasys:

I try to install ubuntu Gison 7.10 after i hv downloaded the image file and burn the ISO to now but experiencing sm difficulties in doing that
After the openning page where i can select to start installing ubuntu and after selecting it that, it will process for a while and latter hang.
i try to check for thr CD intergrity it show me that there is one file error. Gurus what can I Do ?

what i can tell u from experience is that probably the iso u downloaded is defective , or maybe ur burner , one thing is sure though , dont try to install it, u can try downloading another iso or if u can wait request for a free cd from ubuntu.com or get in touch with me i have all the ubuntu iso s and am always willing to share smiley
Re: Installed Ubuntu On My Sys But : by Ralvy(m): 6:23pm On Feb 28, 2008
Very True Bigbrovar . . .
Virtualizing Linux in a virtual drive is not the ishh . . .
U really cant get the full Linux experience that way!

(1) (Reply)

Kaspersky Antivirus / Vista Problm With Bluetooth Soleil / Help Fron The Gurus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.