Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. (15745 Views)

Why I Removed Enyeama As Eagles Captain — Oliseh / Woman Defrauds Osaze Of £70000 / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by isaiahblessin: 6:11am On Dec 24, 2012
Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has dropped a bombshell by saying Osaze Odemwingie had proposed himself as team captain.

Keshi told a stunned Nigeria Football Federation technical committee that the West Bromwich Albion striker put himself forward to be the Eagles skipper.

“He told them that he wants to be captain as he considers himself one of the most senior players in the current squad,” an official revealed.

“But how he has behaved in the national team over the years has really run counter to his ambition to be the leader of this team. You can only lead by example.”

The 31-year-old Osaze made his Eagles debut in 2002, but it was not until the 2004 Nations Cup that he established himself in the national team.

Goalkeepers Vincent Enyeama and Austin Ejide as well as defender and present skipper Joseph Yobo are older than Osaze in the Eagles.

However, he has rowed with national team bosses, from Austin Eguavoen to Lars Lagerback, and his clash with Samson Siasia was widely regarded as one of the problems that caused Nigeria to sensationally fail to qualify for the 2012 Nations Cup.

It is such poor attitude that has now denied him a fifth Nations Cup appearance.

In the meantime, the Eagles coach has said he wishes to run the rule over shock invitee Rabiu Ibrahim who has failed to establish himself at Celtic.

Ibrahim has only managed a handful of games in his second season at Celtic Park and has yet to be capped by Nigeria at full international.

“Keshi said he has watched Rabiu in a couple of cup games and will want to have a closer look at the midfielder in Faro, Portugal,” a top official told MTNFootball.com.

The gifted Ibrahim has held out a lot of promise since hefeatured for the Golden Eaglets in 2007, but he has yet to establish himself in Europe ever since.

This will be his second Eagles call-up as he was also considered for the 2010 Nations Cup, but opted out as he had just undergone a groin operation.

Some top officials also took an exception to the continued invitation of Italy-based midfielder Obiora Nwankwo, saying he is sluggish and brings very little to the team.

However, Keshi stood by his decision, insisting that the Olympic team skipper is tactically disciplined.

Source: PunchNg
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by isaiahblessin: 6:22am On Dec 24, 2012
I had like diz guy to perform the task.

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by pitoski(m): 7:18am On Dec 24, 2012
i think there is morer to it than we see.
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by nairalady(f): 9:44am On Dec 24, 2012
so who do we believe?? grin

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by sheymber: 9:55am On Dec 24, 2012
fingers crossed 4 nw.
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by omiobo: 9:55am On Dec 24, 2012
*Ghost mode*
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by texazzpete(m): 9:56am On Dec 24, 2012
How is this a 'bombshell'? Is there anything wrong in a player putting forward his name for the role of team captain?

2 Likes

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Afam4eva(m): 9:56am On Dec 24, 2012
Even if Osazie has been in the eagles longer than the people there, he doesn't have what it takes to be a captain. he doesn't have that charisma. Vincent Eyeama, Austin Ejide and Yobo will make better captains.

2 Likes

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Kaxmytex(m): 9:57am On Dec 24, 2012
All dis trash wey una dey say no concern me....all i want is d Afcon trophy bak in 9ja

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by free2ryhme: 9:58am On Dec 24, 2012
someone must be eating too much garri
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by safarigirl(f): 9:58am On Dec 24, 2012
Osaze comes off as being selfish, even his twitter ranting has confirmed that, nobody is disputing his brilliance, but if the likes of Taribo West and Okocha hadn't retired, would we ever have known of a particular Odemwingie?

He should let others shine, after all he wasn't always brilliant a la a certain penalty miss at one of his earliest SE games.
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Onyenna(m): 9:59am On Dec 24, 2012
...Osaze's past is hunting him....bt I like the lad(osaze) though....he's always giving his all on da pitch....

BTW:::I dey first ten today ooooh!! Seun, where da fvck is ma prize!!??

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Intrepid1(m): 9:59am On Dec 24, 2012
Keshi should be the bigger man and ignore Osaze's ranting. Securing the title with the players he has selected would be the best way to shut the guy up permanently.

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Bolt2011(m): 10:00am On Dec 24, 2012
Nothing bad in recommending or proposing himself since he believes he can do it & 'yes, he can'. Bad-belle
lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by kevyngbash(m): 10:03am On Dec 24, 2012
My people, if every coach keep dropping him.......... Doesnt that tell us that he has to work on himself? Something is wrong with him. Football is a team game and Keshi cant allow him to spoil show

4 Likes

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Troll: 10:04am On Dec 24, 2012
I Like Osaze, but the Dude Needs to keep his Manner In Check. But there are two sides to a coin, two sides to a story. Maybe he's seeing things in the NFF and National team setting we are not seeing and decides to play the rebel. How come we don't hear of him misbehaving in his club, why is Nigeria different. There's something we are not being told.

7 Likes

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Ejovwoke(m): 10:06am On Dec 24, 2012
Frankly speaking,Osaze is trying to tell us joseph yobo is not commanding captain.he doesnot deserve to be our capt,always dances to the tune of nff and coaches.we need an outspoken personality like osas.

2 Likes

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by johnstar(m): 10:07am On Dec 24, 2012
Kaxmytex: All dis trash wey una dey say no concern me....all i want is d Afcon trophy bak in 9ja
#gbam, well dats 9ja 4 u, instead make dm dey talk abt ow dm go win d afcon, dem dey fight 4 captain hand band cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by 80million1: 10:10am On Dec 24, 2012
*speechless*

tell me it's not true!
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Andrew3(m): 10:10am On Dec 24, 2012
Am a believer, I believe.
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by chreldb(m): 10:13am On Dec 24, 2012
If he proposed himself as captain i see nothing wrong with that. After all he has been a national team player for about a decade and to call a spade a spade he has paid his dues to Nigerian football. Even if he is not the oldest player in the squad, that doesn't disqualify him from being captain. Apart from that proposing to be captain does not have enough grounds to exclude a player from the squad. There's more to it IMO.

2 Likes

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by OmoTier1(m): 10:14am On Dec 24, 2012
I think this saga reflects the very poor man management attitude of leaders in Nigeria in general. Most people that have commented so far appears to be ignorant of recent history. Can someone remind me why Keshi was called the boss again? Was it not the same Keshi that was dictating for coaches, selecting who should play and not play in the national team, creating cabal of errand boys or have we suddenly forgotten the late Rashidi Yekini's refusal to be Keshi's errand boy?

For crying out loud, if osazee wants to be captain, why should that exclude him from the national team given his vital role in the team currently? How about Keshi setting Him a standard of what He would like to see before He can consider Him as captain? The reason given by Keshi is so lame that it leaves one with the impression that there is personality issues going on here.it is either Keshi is looking to select yes men as team members that would do his bidding or his usual old self is taking over him again.

Osazee may not be perfect and may have had issues in the past with coaches in Nigeria but if one were to revisit those issues, largely they are issues any sane individual would want to protest against for several good reasons.

It is so sad how our national team has been reduced to nothing to the extent that the nations cup is just weeks away and I am barely excited about Nigeria reaching the second round talk less of winning the trophy.

17 Likes

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by dridowu: 10:16am On Dec 24, 2012
Osaze.................................Captain

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by OmoTier1(m): 10:19am On Dec 24, 2012
Ejovwoke: Frankly speaking,Osaze is trying to tell us joseph yobo is not commanding captain.he doesnot deserve to be our capt,always dances to the tune of nff and coaches.we need an outspoken personality like osas.
I agree with you. Yobo is good or was good on the pitch in taking leadership when things are not going right, but off pitch he doesn't seems to have the personality to confront those rogues in NFF. Imagine putting our players on an international kabukabu to go play qualifiers.

Osazee though might have disruptive behaviour at times but I guess he should be given the role of. Vice captain and then promoted to captain once Yobo realises his birth certificate colours has changed!

1 Like

Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Emababa: 10:22am On Dec 24, 2012
Ok
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Mexyz(m): 10:22am On Dec 24, 2012
See evrytn is wrng abt him putn himself up for d hand band,ds guy is jst bn pumpous,hw can we hear abt his behaviour in club level? They pay his bills na nd he dare nt misbehave there. Keshi is d coach,his No shud be No nd Yes remain Yes.
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:22am On Dec 24, 2012
afam4eva: Even if Osazie has been in the eagles longer than the people there, he doesn't have what it takes to be a captain. he doesn't have that charisma. Vincent Eyeama, Austin Ejide and Yobo will make better captains.
how many goals do u score with charisma?
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by agitator: 10:23am On Dec 24, 2012
isaiahblessin: Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has dropped a bombshell by saying Osaze Odemwingie had proposed himself as team captain.

Keshi told a stunned Nigeria Football Federation technical committee that the West Bromwich Albion striker put himself forward to be the Eagles skipper.

“He told them that he wants to be captain as he considers himself one of the most senior players in the current squad,” an official revealed.

“But how he has behaved in the national team over the years has really run counter to his ambition to be the leader of this team. You can only lead by example.”

The 31-year-old Osaze made his Eagles debut in 2002, but it was not until the 2004 Nations Cup that he established himself in the national team.

Goalkeepers Vincent Enyeama and Austin Ejide as well as defender and present skipper Joseph Yobo are older than Osaze in the Eagles.

However, he has rowed with national team bosses, from Austin Eguavoen to Lars Lagerback, and his clash with Samson Siasia was widely regarded as one of the problems that caused Nigeria to sensationally fail to qualify for the 2012 Nations Cup.

It is such poor attitude that has now denied him a fifth Nations Cup appearance.

In the meantime, the Eagles coach has said he wishes to run the rule over shock invitee Rabiu Ibrahim who has failed to establish himself at Celtic.

Ibrahim has only managed a handful of games in his second season at Celtic Park and has yet to be capped by Nigeria at full international.

“Keshi said he has watched Rabiu in a couple of cup games and will want to have a closer look at the midfielder in Faro, Portugal,” a top official told MTNFootball.com.

The gifted Ibrahim has held out a lot of promise since hefeatured for the Golden Eaglets in 2007, but he has yet to establish himself in Europe ever since.

This will be his second Eagles call-up as he was also considered for the 2010 Nations Cup, but opted out as he had just undergone a groin operation.

Some top officials also took an exception to the continued invitation of Italy-based midfielder Obiora Nwankwo, saying he is sluggish and brings very little to the team.

However, Keshi stood by his decision, insisting that the Olympic team skipper is tactically disciplined.

Source: PunchNg

Ok wink
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 24, 2012
he deserves to be the team captain but like someone rightly said his past is hunting him. dont blame him for his attitude blame NFA, NFF instead. if you dont agree go ask Jay-Jay, Oliseh, West, Mikel et al. However the BIG BOSS is trying to change all that now. lets allow him work
Re: Osaze Proposed Himself As Eagles' Captain. by yuzedo: 10:31am On Dec 24, 2012
Infact, I don tire for dis matter!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Victorious Golden Eaglets Get N2Million Each / Asisat Oshoala Donates Materials To Pupils In 50 Primary Schools In Lagos. / Zidane Has Rejected Real Madrid Job Already - Ramon Calderon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.