Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Is Getting Married To A Canadian - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Getting Married To A Canadian (5561 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here / 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University / How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Getting Married To A Canadian by ETOBY72: 1:11am On Dec 27, 2012
My wife to be just got her PR. in Canada. she migrated to canada on work permit some 4ys ago from russia. We are planing for her coming to visit me here in Nigeria for the marriage. Please guys either living in canada or have a clear idea should advise me on the best approach to my joining her. am 44 and she is 43. Expected time frame advise will also be appreciated. I have only traveled recently to UK on a 6mths visit visa. i only graduated from a secondary school.
My question is can she with her statues sponsor me as the husband and how long will it all take. what is the success ratio? she just received her PR a month ago. my application for study permit was rejected in 2007. will it affect anything?
A candid advise will be highly appreciated.
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by Naijalastborn(m): 2:37am On Dec 27, 2012
What's the reason for rejecting your study visa, well since you are married to their citizen, you will surely be given the Visa, but believe it will take months to finish the process
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by patriciajames(f): 8:34am On Dec 27, 2012
True wrd
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by Nobody: 3:28am On Dec 28, 2012
It doesn’t make any different whether your wife is Canadian Citizen or permanent resident. Five years ago, I had to sponsor my wife to come to Canada as a permanent resident. I had a permanent resident status then and my wife was residing in South Africa at that time.

The Canadian Visa sponsorship application process of spouse has 2 Steps, Step 1 and Step 2. Based on the Canadian immigration webpage, the approximate time to complete the entire process for an applicant residing in Nigeria is 15 months (4 months for Step 1 and 11 months for Step 2).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

Step 1 (or initial assessment) of Sponsorship application:
On this stage, the immigration will access your spouse to determine if she qualifies to be a sponsor.
She won’t qualify as a sponsor if any of the following applies:
She is in prison.
She has a criminal record
She defaulted on IMMIGRATION Loan – late or missed payments (NOTHING TO DO with BANK LOAN).
She had previously sponsored a spouse or was sponsored as a spouse within the past 5 years.
She has declared bankruptcy and has not been released from it yet.
She had received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

Once the immigration established that she qualifies to be a sponsor, the Canadian Immigration will submit your application for permanent resident to the Canadian visa Office that has Jurisdiction over the country where you reside.
If you reside in Nigeria, your sponsorship application will be sent to Ghana.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/accra.asp

Step 2 of the application process:
The visa Office will do perform your background, security check and Medical checkup.
You will have your interview in Nigeria if an interview is required.
If successful, you will be granted permanent resident Visa to come to Canada.

Both application for Step 1 and Step 2 have to be submitted by your wife to the Canadian immigration in Mississauga, Canada, at the same time.
When your wife submits the package to Mississauga, she must include the following (else, the application will be returned):
Her most recent T4 copy. (Canadian Tax form showing her year income.)
Your Nigerian police report
A copy of your passport (not the entire passport but the page with your identity)
Your Medical Examination (Your wife should send you the medical form to bring to a Medical Doctor in Nigeria. The Medical Doctor should be one that has been appointed by Immigration Canada to perform medical examinations related to the Canadian visa application).

Click here for the list of Doctor in Nigeria:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=1977&CountryName=Nigeria

Don’t worry about the success ratio for this type of application.
If your marriage is genuine and that you can prove that to the Visa officer, then your permanent resident visa is guarantee.
In my case, I had to submit our wedding pictures (traditional Wedding and religious Wedding), copies of our emails exchanges, a wedding invitation, and Copy of MoneyGrams invoices.
My wife was asked to bring copies of our phone bills showing the calls between both of us. However, she had to explain to the Visa Officer that this wasn’t possible since we were both using pre-paid calling cards for long distance calls.
Adding to that, I had travel to Johannesburg on the day of her interview. But, the Visa Officer welcomed me but she said I didn’t have to travel all the way from Canada for the interview.
The visa Officer didn’t ask me any question in regard to the application.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by ETOBY72: 7:58am On Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for this wonderful and clearly explained advise. Its helpful
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 29, 2012
Very detailed explanation. How much is required as proof of funds?
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
mercylicious: Very detailed explanation. How much is required as proof of funds?

Hello Mercylicious,

There's no minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse or dependant child(ren) to come to Canada as permanent resident. But of course, the Canadian government still wants to be assured that you as a sponsor are not on welfare, social assistance, and that you can help support your spouse and are not an undischarged bankrupt. Also that your spouse will not have to resort to welfare once approved.

When a spouse or dependent child gets to Canada through sponsorship, he/she won’t qualify for any public assistance or welfare for a period of 3 years. Any public assistance or welfare that he/she would get within that period of time will be paid back in full by you the sponsor.

In addition to that, the person been sponsored won’t qualify for Free Health Care for a period of 90 days (3 months) from the time they land in Canada. They can apply for a health card and would still get it but it would be invalid till they have been in Canada for 90 days.

From browsing through the website of immigration Canada, it seems like the proof of funds become a factor only when a dependent child of a dependent child is been sponsored. In other words, if a grandchild is also involved in the application for sponsorship of a spouse or a dependant child, then a financial evaluation application has to be submitted to the immigration.

Please see link below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fineval.asp

Thanks,
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by Mavor: 8:04am On Dec 30, 2012
he said wife to be
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jan 05, 2013
Mavor: he said wife to be

She can't sponsor him if she is a wife to be.
However, OP has indicated that she would be going to Nigeria so that they could get married.
Then after that, she will be able to sponsor him.
Re: Is Getting Married To A Canadian by samuelani: 8:19pm On Jun 12, 2015
guys living in Canada please i need your advice or guideline here please. If my spouse in Canada had received government welfare within a short period of time long time ago, and now she has a good job in Canada, would she still be able to qualify to sponsor me to come join her in Canada now that she has a good job in Canada? Please an urgent answer to my question would be highly appreciated please brethren.

(1) (Reply)

How To Confirm If A Visa Is Genuine / Lagos To Benin City By Road / Calabar, Most Hospitable People In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.