Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds (3857 Views)

Women Who Sleep More Also Have More Sex, A New Study Finds / Taraba State Currently Treating 30,000 HIV Patients. / ‘58% Of Nigerian HIV Patients Are Female’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by supereagle(m): 6:13am On Dec 27, 2012
A NEW study finds that Human Immuno-deficiency Virus (HIV) patients who receive good care but who smoke lose more years of life to smoking than to HIV, the virus that causes Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS).

The findings show the importance of including quit-smoking counseling in long-term HIV care, the Danish researchers said.

They looked at nearly 3,000 HIV patients who were treated in Denmark from 1995 to 2010 and received well-organized care with free access to antiretroviral therapy. The researchers found that more than 60 percent of the deaths that occurred among the patients were associated with smoking rather than HIV.

They also found significant differences in life expectancy between HIV patients who smoked and nonsmokers. For example, a 35-year-old patient who smoked had a life expectancy approaching 63 years, compared with more than 78 years for a nonsmoking patient who was the same age, according to the study, which appears online Dec. 19 in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

The loss of years of life associated with smoking was twice as high as that associated with HIV, and the increased risk of death among HIV patients who smoked was three times higher than among people not infected with HIV, according to a journal news release.

“Our findings emphasize the importance of counseling HIV patients on smoking cessation, as smoking may impact their life expectancy considerably more than the HIV infection itself,” wrote Dr. Marie Helleberg, of Copenhagen University Hospital, and colleagues.

Although the study tied nonsmoking to longer life in HIV patients, it did not establish a cause-and-effect relationship.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108702:smoking-deadlier-for-hiv-patients-than-virus-itself-study-finds&catid=44:natural-health&Itemid=599
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Iaz93: 9:43am On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 27, 2012
I see
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by akatonero(m): 9:44am On Dec 27, 2012
Really? shocked shocked
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by ikennaya(m): 9:44am On Dec 27, 2012
Thats if smokers care to hear...
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by slimyem: 9:44am On Dec 27, 2012
I'd want to believe any H.I.V carrying person should know better than indulging in a vice as dangerous as smoking.
This shouldn't be news!

1 Like

Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by ogb5(m): 9:46am On Dec 27, 2012
politicians and scientists are a particular breed.

why not just put a total ban on the manufacturing of tobacco if it is really that bad as it is being portrayed.

and how did this make frontpage with no comment
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 27, 2012
ogb5: politicians and scientists are a particular breed.

why not just put a total ban on the manufacturing of tobacco if it is really that bad as it is being portrayed.

and how did this make frontpage with no comment

Sometimes I wonder myself!!!!!
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by iamswizz(m): 9:49am On Dec 27, 2012
errmmmm.. Tell that to the Hiv patients on Nl
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by clemmonce(m): 9:54am On Dec 27, 2012
how u go get aids and u stil dey smoke that is stupidness
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Shaw007(m): 9:57am On Dec 27, 2012
4Rm d LittLe i knOw. . . Ther usually encouraged. . .infact mandated not 2 take anything caffeine . . 4rm tea,i mean d leaves (i.e ,lipton) to alcohOL . . .and of course,cigar . . .so Like someone said this shudnt be News

and besides. . .shudnt commOn sense teLL you?
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by ogb5(m): 9:58am On Dec 27, 2012
thanks for the info.

hiv and smoking dont go together.

anytime i catch hiv i will not start smoking
and if i start smoking i will make sure i dont catch hiv.

and if i catch hiv and start smoking, i will write my will

1 Like

Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Sunymoore(m): 10:05am On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by ROCKJ1(m): 10:29am On Dec 27, 2012
Smoking is generally bad... Whether with HIV or not.
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Engineer1985(m): 10:29am On Dec 27, 2012
Hmmmm
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Ataju(m): 10:50am On Dec 27, 2012
Sometim i wonder.u don catch hiv u stil dey smoke.!
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Ezeufi: 11:00am On Dec 27, 2012
Can a 35 years old HIV infected person reach the age of 50? let alone 78? I think the most they can get with the best possible care is 10-15 years from the point of getting infected?
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Cabsso(m): 11:07am On Dec 27, 2012
Hmm is dat so?
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Lagusta(m): 11:11am On Dec 27, 2012
Ezeufi: Can a 35 years old HIV infected person reach the age of 50? let alone 78? I think the most they can get with the best possible care is 10-15 years from the point of getting infected?

As far as he takes his ARV drugs, and eats well and lives a fulfilled and "safe" life, he will surely live long to see his grand children...

@topic, this is not news nah, na common sense!!! How would a HIV patient be smoking Its just like eating worms with indomie!!!
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by tpapi: 11:41am On Dec 27, 2012
ogb5: thanks for the info.

hiv and smoking dont go together.

anytime i catch hiv i will not start smoking
and if i start smoking i will make sure i dont catch hiv.

and if i catch hiv and start smoking, i will write my will
u beta go for an hiv test
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by greatgod2012(f): 11:41am On Dec 27, 2012
Of what benefit is smoking before?
Whether HIV infected or not, what is d essence of smoking?..........its bad and will continue to be bad, even, d federal ministry of health confirms it.
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by fkaz(m): 11:45am On Dec 27, 2012
greatgod2012: Of what benefit is smoking before?
Whether HIV infected or not, what is d essence of smoking?..........its bad and will continue to be bad, even, d federal ministry of health confirms it.
Dat is Ɣ☺ΰя own view
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by plendil: 12:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
how I hate AIDS!
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by claremont(m): 1:09pm On Dec 27, 2012
supereagle:
Although the study tied nonsmoking to longer life in HIV patients, it did not establish a cause-and-effect relationship.
I think people should learn how to critically analyse a paper before commenting.
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 27, 2012
Smoking tabacco depress immune system and may cause immunedeficiency just like hiv.
ROCK-J:
Smoking is generally bad... Whether with HIV or not.
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by zubbainno123: 9:10pm On Dec 27, 2012
Its funny some don't even knw their HIV status, nd they r busy smoking away their a*ss to hell!
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by ogb5(m): 9:29pm On Dec 27, 2012
tpapi: u beta go for an hiv test

thanks for d advice. i know my status.

I have negative hiv.

remember we all have hiv, some have positive hiv others have negative hiv.
na ur presido wife talk am.
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by Nobody: 1:30am On Dec 28, 2012
thats just common sense. lol.
Re: Smoking Deadlier For HIV Patients Than Virus Itself, Study Finds by ciphoenix: 10:33am On Dec 28, 2012
They're also at risk of being secondary smokers[inhaling smoke from smokers]. Smoke free zones should be designated and laws enforced. Some folks these days smoke everywhere. Terrible

(1) (Reply)

UDUTH Inaugurates New Anti-corruption, Transparency Unit / Top Ten Signs You Might Be Pregnant / 20 Things Every Woman Should Know About Her Vagina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.