Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. (21958 Views)

Is The Skin Of Mango Nutritious? / Have You Ever Got A Bone Stuck In Your Throat? How Did You Remove It? / Do You Eat The Skin Of A Mango!?!? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by myowncomputer: 12:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
Hi peeps, do you find it difficult to remove the slimy 'yama-yama' from the skin of catfish? I used to use alum but found out that it affects the taste of the fish. Then I later heard of salt which to me wasn't exactly effective, then warm water, which sometimes makes me run out of patience. Please, if we have professional ones here, could u offer useful suggestions? Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by trekkie: 12:53pm On Dec 27, 2012
some have suggested garri (now i cannot type garri without laughing thanks to NL) grin i tried it and did not like it and besides it just wasted good food IMHO
i have found lime quite effective. hope it helps.

2 Likes

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by KBARBIE(f): 2:28pm On Dec 27, 2012
To me d easiest way after killn d catfish is by pouring hot water on it, afterwhich u just rince d fish.

2 Likes

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by otilowaju(f): 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Nice though as it is to remove the slime, the catfish sellers (3 different ones at that) I asked for this same tip of easy removal have told me that the slime itself is its freshness and that there's no point stressing yourself out trying to completely remove it. It actually stops when it boils over in the pot anyways and never tastes slimy when eaten! undecided

7 Likes

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by myowncomputer: 5:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
KBARBIE: To me d easiest way after killn d catfish is by pouring hot water on it, afterwhich u just rince d fish.
Yeah , i tried it too but it was't easy to wash thereafter, also, it was like 'parboiling' the fish!
Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by daguru(m): 5:59pm On Dec 28, 2012
I wash with Alum

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by Olodo1: 11:25pm On Dec 30, 2012
who is catfish?
Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by dominique(f): 2:31pm On Jan 01, 2013
otilowaju: Nice though as it is to remove the slime, the catfish sellers (3 different ones at that) I asked for this same tip of easy removal have told me that the slime itself is its freshness and that there's no point stressing yourself out trying to completely remove it. It actually stops when it boils over in the pot anyways and never tastes slimy when eaten! undecided

True the slime doesn't taste but the soup looks a bit drawy and slimy tongue. I use lime or salt.

2 Likes

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by Asos: 7:24pm On Jan 02, 2013
The true, tried and tested method is washing with salt. Lots of salt. The friction from the rough salt grains just peels off the slim and leaves your fish squeaky clean.

4 Likes

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by funmikosoko: 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2013
undecided undecided undecided
Olodo 1: who is catfish?
Whoelse u think catfish could be? Na u na...... See question

2 Likes

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by MPEROR: 6:48pm On Apr 21, 2013
Take a long nose pliers cut a piece or make an incession then grab the skin and pull it back the whole skin will come off
Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by chikk(f): 8:56am On Apr 23, 2013
funmikosoko: undecided undecided undecided
Whoelse u think catfish could be? Na u na...... See question

Why bother? Didn't you see his name?
Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by Tovot: 10:10pm On Apr 23, 2013
use lime, lots of lime ,rub the body with body with lime and salt!that should do,

1 Like

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by nurus: 10:27am On Apr 30, 2013
I use any of this three.LIME,GARRI AND SALT.
Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by chrisomeday: 2:19pm On Nov 07, 2016
I prefer hot water to salt and lime
Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by eddyline(m): 6:06am On Nov 11, 2016
those I buy from make use of ash
Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by Assurance1000(f): 10:41pm On Feb 22, 2017
keep in the freezer till it is frozen. Then wash with warm or cold water. It becomes clean and crisp. I've tried it severally.

1 Like

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by UrennaNkoli(f): 4:09pm On Feb 23, 2017
Am I the only one that finds catfish very irritating to eat ? Its one ofof the most overhyped fishes in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. by Emmaesty(f): 4:33am On Feb 24, 2017
Best method is to soak in hot water for 3 mins, the slime automatically removes by itself. After that, just rinse with cold water and your fish is ready to use

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Eating Dog Testicles / My Vegetable Soup Recipe Using Frying Method (pics And Video) / Why Is Food So Expensive Nowadays In Nigeria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.