Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

African Women And Wigs - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / African Women And Wigs (4280 Views)

African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / Beautiful native wear- Men, Women And Kids / ***Hair For African Women*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 7:25am On Dec 28, 2012
Adaeze003:
So now we are also insecure? Wtf? Like seriously, what are you going on and on about? Its not bad to look trendy but girls use weaves coz they're insecure? how is it possible that you have never thought of it as part of the trends and fashion? Why are you being myopic over a trivial issue?
You also said that girls in your family use weaves,does it also mean that they(and 90% of girls in nigeria) are all insecure?
What about white gurls that use extensions? Is it also due to inferiority complex?
"Opinions are like arse holes, every one has one"
Hey, chillout, will ya?
Getting pretty worked up on my account will only raise your blood pressure.
This is a debate, not a duel, right?
Anyways, back to the topic. You said that white girls use extensions.
Very true. But they only do so in special circumstances, not like in everyday life like our ladies. But even if it's essential because of our natural short hairs, then they should do it properly so as to make it look natural and less obvious.
tny60 does make a strong point in a comment below, and I'm inclined to agree with some of what she said.

tny60:
african women wear wigs because they want
to attract men. and 90% of african men mostly
prefer long, silky hair which african women
don't have naturally. maybe you are in the 1% that prefer plaits and natural hair. but most men don't. they always pick the weave-on lady over the natural lady.
ps: if a woman has enough money to get it
done correctly, it will look good. but if you do it cheaply, it looks bad. just the same way natural hair or plaits can look bad if
you don't take care of it.
so to answer your question, we wear wigs for
you your choices in women have told us
that is what you prefer. and tha is why we do
it. so men, it is up to you to give you wife or
girlfriend enough MONEY for her hair so she
can look good with her weave.

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by tny60(f): 7:40am On Dec 28, 2012
Frostyzone:

weave is essential because of our natural short hairs, then they should do it properly so as to make it look natural and less obvious.

see your life. you have exposed yourself as the one with inferiority complex here.
if it annoys you so much, why not go and give the girls money to do their weaves properly? why are you so concerned with their hair? are they your girlfriends?
Re: African Women And Wigs by Adaeze003(f): 7:44am On Dec 28, 2012
I'm not worked up, just wandering how one can think in only one direction.
As for what tny60 said,I just don't wanna believe that the only thing on a woman's mind is men. Or maybe I'll speak for myself. I don't use weaves because I want to attract men. In my opinion that's just lame! After attracting him with hair, what next? Come to think of it, can hair alone attract a man? Hmm.. People really have to start thinking of what's truly important.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Adaeze003(f): 7:52am On Dec 28, 2012
tny60:

see your life. you have exposed yourself as the one with inferiority complex here.
if it annoys you so much, why not go and give the girls money to do their weaves properly? why are you so concerned with their hair? are they your girlfriends?

Don't mind him jor.. Dude nor get case.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 8:15am On Dec 28, 2012
tny60:

How so?

tny60: if it annoys you so much, why not go and give the girls money to do their weaves properly? why are you so concerned with their hair? are they your girlfriends?
You are the one that brought up the issue in the first place, remember?

tny60: african women wear wigs because they want
to attract men. and 90% of african men mostly
prefer long, silky hair which african women
don't have naturally.

All I did was to concur.
Re: African Women And Wigs by tny60(f): 8:16am On Dec 28, 2012
Frostyzone:

How so?

You are the one that brought up the issue in the first place, remember?

All I did was to concurred.

grin
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 9:37am On Dec 28, 2012
Adaeze003:
Don't mind him jor.. Dude nor get case.
Right back at you, honey.
Re: African Women And Wigs by DandeNumeruno(m): 9:57am On Dec 28, 2012
It's ridiculous how wearing natural hair
for a black woman is considered inappropriate for work. How can being natural be so inappropriate? The problem is stemmed from the lack of understanding of our hair and unfortunately we add to this by continually rejecting our natural hair to adopt Eurocentric ideals. Black women need to put down the creamy crack and get back to be proud of being black.
There’s nothing wrong with our hair, it is beautiful. AND stop watching L’oreal commercials as they were not made for
us.

4 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 10:28am On Dec 28, 2012
Dan_de_Numeruno: It's ridiculous how wearing natural hair
for a black woman is considered inappropriate for work. How can being natural be so inappropriate? The
problem is stemmed from the lack of understanding of our hair and unfortunately we add to this by
continually rejecting our natural hair to
adopt Eurocentric ideals. Black women
need to put down the creamy crack and
get back to be proud of being black.
There’s nothing wrong with our hair, it is
beautiful. AND stop watching L’oreal
commercials as they were not made for
us.
Tell them joor.

4 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by Originalsly: 6:16am On Dec 29, 2012
Inferiority complex on both sides....male and female...... Black but not proud.

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by kokoa2008(f): 8:01am On Dec 29, 2012
That is not only the case in Nigeria it is like that here in the states as well. A lot of women are now embracing their natural hair like myself. I love natural hair it's healthier and fun to experiment and if I want it straight I just pull out the flat iron. I think more black women should show off what the lord gave us... Black women are beautiful and the sooner we realize it the better. God blessed us with full hips, lips, thick hair, beautiful skin, and shapes that put a coke bottle to shame. We are beautiful every part of us!

3 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 10:01am On Dec 29, 2012
Originalsly: Inferiority complex on both sides....male and female...... Black but not proud.
Unfortunate scenario, but true.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 10:03am On Dec 29, 2012
kokoa2008: That is not only the case in Nigeria it is like that here in the states as well. A lot of women are now embracing their natural hair like myself. I love natural hair it's healthier and fun to experiment and if I want it straight I just pull out the flat iron. I think more black women should show off what the lord gave us... Black women are beautiful and the sooner we realize it the better. God blessed us with full hips, lips, thick hair, beautiful skin, and shapes that put a coke bottle to shame. We are beautiful every part of us!
Well said, my sister.
Re: African Women And Wigs by trimandtrendy(f): 5:24pm On Dec 30, 2012
well, to be honest sometimes it is easier to use hair extensions than to manage your natural hair. i oly see it as a problem wen laadies start using ourageous and horrible colored wigs thats all
Re: African Women And Wigs by kandiikane(m): 2:22pm On Jan 01, 2013
[quote author=Frostyzone][/quote]

Oh yeah,abi, suits are originally from Africa?

I'm telling you go do your damn research. Extentions have been used by our ancestors waaaay before the white man arrived. It's also done in a trendy but original manner. wink
Re: African Women And Wigs by kandiikane(m): 2:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
Lol@women wear weaves to attract men.

Smh@how some people think the world revolves around men. Smgdh
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 3:02pm On Jan 01, 2013
kandiikane:
Smh@how some people think the world revolves around men. Smgdh
In a woman's perspective, yes It does.

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by kandiikane(m): 3:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
Don't make me ban you for that stup!d comment! angry
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 3:23pm On Jan 01, 2013
kandiikane:

Oh yeah,abi, suits are originally from Africa?

I'm telling you go do your damn research. Extentions have been used by our ancestors waaaay before the white man arrived. It's also done in a trendy but original manner. wink
You completely misunderstood me. I wasn't implying that it's wrong to look chic and trendy in a westernized fashion, but rather in so doing one shouldn't forget his heritage/African values.
Some of our folks go to extreme measures to imitate the white race, thereby completely neutralizing their identity.
On the subject of extensions, our ancestor might have utilise some, but it was in the form of mere thread fibers, rather than the hair-like fibers favoured by our ladies of nowadays.
So logically speaking, it's not the same thing.
You were right on one thing though. When they do plait their hairs, they do so in an original but trendy manner.

2 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 3:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
kandiikane: Don't make me ban you for that stup!d comment! angry
Truth hurts, doesn't it?

1 Like

Re: African Women And Wigs by kandiikane(m): 5:21pm On Jan 01, 2013
Frostyzone:
You completely misunderstood me. I wasn't implying that it's wrong to look chic and trendy in a westernized fashion, but rather in so doing one shouldn't forget his heritage/African values.
Some of our folks go to extreme measures to imitate the white race, thereby completely neutralizing their identity.
On the subject of extensions, our ancestor might have utilise some, but it was in the form of mere thread fibers, rather than the hair-like fibers favoured by our ladies of nowadays.
So logically speaking, it's not the same thing.
You were right on one thing though. When they do plait their hairs, they do so in an original but trendy manner.

So, are you telling me women these days should wear synthetic fibres which make the extentions look even more fake?

Our ancestors didn't use human hair fibres because then it was not available. If they had human like extensions I am definitely sure they will use that instead. Extentions whether fake or real are worn around the world because the hair is sacred and it's where beauty as they say lies. Wearing weave doesn't mean one wants to be white. It's all part of trends and looking good. You cannot excuse suits and chastise weave wearing.

And how does wearing weave make one forget their African heritage? Is it weave that gives one their heritage? Use your brain!

P.s, regarding a comment you made, white people wear extensions all the time.
Re: African Women And Wigs by kandiikane(m): 5:21pm On Jan 01, 2013
Frostyzone:
Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Truth? Abeg, park well.
Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 8:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
kandiikane:

So, are you telling me women these days should wear synthetic fibres which make the extentions look even more fake?

Our ancestors didn't use human hair fibres because then it was not available. If they had human like extensions I am definitely sure they will use that instead. Extentions whether fake or real are worn around the world because the hair is sacred and it's where beauty as they say lies. Wearing weave doesn't mean one wants to be white. It's all part of trends and looking good. You cannot excuse suits and chastise weave wearing.

And how does wearing weave make one forget their African heritage? Is it weave that gives one their heritage? Use your brain!

P.s, regarding a comment you made, white people wear extensions all the time.

You are still missing the point. Wearing cloths and putting an artificial hair on top of your hair are two completely different things.
The former can be attributed to decency and vanity while the later can be attributed to vanity, and insecurity.

Allow me to explain; When a man decides to adorn a trendy suit to an occasion, the first reason that would pop up in his mind, which is instinctive by-the-way, is to look good and presentable.

A woman on the other hand wears a wig mainly because she's not confident in her natural looks, with is equal to insecurity.

Now you may be asking, what's the difference.

The difference is that the man wears the suit not because he's insecure of his looks - after all he may decide to wear a traditional attire instead and still look good - but, because that may be what is trending at that point in time. So in keeping with the fashion trend, he still manage to retain his identity.

The woman meanwhile, wears the wig, not because it's trending or anything, but because it's now an integral part of her life. She cannot live without it anymore, thus her natural hair is forgotten. Her identity is completely lost.

You said something about extension being worn all over the world. That's a big, fat lie. In south America, North Europe, East Asia, and Oceania, extension wearing is a myth. What's the point when they are blessed with natural lush hairs, unlike the black race.

You can only find high concentration of people wearing extensions in North America and the Caribbean, only because of strong African presence in those geographical areas.

White people do wear extensions, but not often as our race, and mostly on special circumstances.

2 Likes

Re: African Women And Wigs by Frostyzone(m): 8:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
kandiikane:

Truth? Abeg, park well.

How again nah?
Re: African Women And Wigs by shiftbutton: 2:21am On Jan 02, 2013
Available

Re: African Women And Wigs by Bratking(m): 7:43am On Jan 02, 2013
Frostyzone:

You are still missing the point. Wearing cloths and putting an artificial hair on top of your hair are two completely different things.
The former can be attributed to decency and vanity while the later can be attributed to vanity, and insecurity.

Allow me to explain; When a man decides to adorn a trendy suit to an occasion, the first reason that would pop up in his mind, which is instinctive by-the-way, is to look good and presentable.

A woman on the other hand wears a wig mainly because she's not confident in her natural looks, with is equal to insecurity.

Now you may ask, what's the difference?

The difference is that the man wears the suit not because he's insecure of his looks - after all he may decide to wear a traditional attire instead and still look good - but, because that may be what is trending at that point in time. So in keeping with the fashion trend, he still manage to retain his identity.

The woman meanwhile, wears the wig, not because it's trending or anything, but because it's now an integral part of her life. She cannot live without it anymore, thus her natural hair is forgotten. Her identity is completely lost.

You said something about extension being worn all over the world. That's a big, fat lie. In south America, North Europe, East Asia, and Oceania, extension wearing is a myth. What's the point when they are blessed with natural lush hairs, unlike the black race.

You can only find high concentration of people wearing extensions in North America and the Caribbean, only because of strong African presence in those geographical areas.

White people do wear extensions, but not often as our race, and mostly on special circumstances.

Gbamm!!
Re: African Women And Wigs by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 03, 2013
Wigs. . .one of my best investments!!! kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reasons To Use Shea Butter(ori) For Your Skin / Meet The Most Handsome Guy In Naija / How Long Does It Take You To Tie A Gele?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.