Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. (16305 Views)

A Nairalander Corper Visits Hula-Rock, In Taraba, Shares 10 Lessons Learnt / TMTN Visit To OLUMO ROCK Abeokuta, See Full History,new Pictures And Video. / Olumo Rock Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by MsBeautyAghedo(f): 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2012
OVERVIEW OF TOURISM IN NIGERIA
Tourism in Nigeria centers largely on cultural events, due to the country’s ample amount of ethnic groups, but also includes rain forests, savannah, waterfalls and other natural attractions. The industry, unfortunately, suffers from the country’s poor electricity, roads, water and quality tourist sites in Nigeria. The tourism industry is regulated by the ministry of culture, tourism and national orientation, a Nigeria government ministry.
FIELD TRIP REPORT OF OLUMO ROCK (ABEOKUTA)
Abeokuta is the largest city and capital of Ogun state in southwest Nigeria and it is situated at 7*9’39”N 3*20’54”ECordinates: on the Ogun river;64 miles north of Lagos by railway, or 81 miles by water. Abeokuta was discovered in 1930. Egba is the name of the local people of Abeokuta who once live under the Oyo Empire. As of 2005 Abeokuta and the surrounding area had a population of 593,140.
Abeokuta lies in fertile country, the surface of which is broken by masses of grey granite.it is spread over an extensive area, being surrounded by mud walls 18 miles in extent. Palm-oil, timber, rubber, yams and Shea-butter are the chief articles of trade. It lies below the Olumo rock, home to several caves and shrines. The town depends on the Oyan river dam for its water supply, which is not always dependable.
Olumo rock, one of the most popular tourist destinations in Nigeria, it sits in the ancient city center of Abeokuta – a name which means ‘under the rock’. Abeokuta was originally inhabited by the Egba people who found refuge at the Olumo rock during the inter-tribal wars in the 19th century. The rock provided sanctuary to the people as well as a vantage point to monitor the enemy’s advance leading to eventual triumph in war. The town of Abeokuta eventually grew as these new settlers spread out from this location. Olumo means “all the troubles and sufferings were over” .Olumo rock was turned into a tourist site in 1976 and thus commission in February 3rd 2006 by chief Olusegun Obasanjo.
Our visit to the site of Olumo rock on the 4th of February 2012 with the assistance of a tour guide named Ibrahim Lawal saw us climbed up the man-made stairs carved into the rock. It left many breathless and ready to take a break to rest at the Kpasheke garden which consisted of “Kpasheke tree, Dogonyaro tree and Ighi-odon tree” growing from the rock, from there we proceeded into the “Olumo main shrine” where sacrifice is being made every 5th of august annually to the gods.

It was noted that during the raining season Olumo rock produced water that could be used by local herbalist to cure sickness and diseases but it stopped producing water 50years ago, close to this point was a tomb behind the house of a chief called Sonni Osi-Toko who died on the 23rd January 1956 at 122yrs

and this route lead to the Egba war hide-out which was discovered by Paul Adagba and a five( 5) bedroom flat was constructed where the Egba people sort refuge during the inter-tribal war.While on the other side of the rock consisted of statutes that represents the Egba past heroes and symbols of the Egba warriors whom are”Iliesha Abi Agbongbakala, Agagba the great hunter” and “Okonkenu the first paramount ruler in Egba land”, “Jagun Jagun the sharp shooter and general in command” and symbols like “cowries” which represented money used at that period of time.

We were showed the Ancient way which led to the top of Olumo rock,

the height of the rock is 137meters above sea level and at this point the whole Abeokuta could be seen e.g the first Church in Nigeria, N.T.A Abeokuta, Baptist Boys High School, The family house of late Abiola, the Central Mosque, Sanatan, River Ogun etc.

and after which we thank the tour guide for telling us about the history of the Olumo rock and we came down from the top the rock using ‘the modern way’ into the school bus and proceeded to our next destination.

Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by opeoluwa2(f): 2:07pm On Dec 28, 2012
Nice one,
I'm looking forward to visiting olumo Rock
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by MsBeautyAghedo(f): 7:35pm On Dec 28, 2012
. smileyThanks. I can be your tour guide if u need one.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by Mavor: 7:56pm On Dec 28, 2012
Where are all the pix of the beautiful scenery? Or did you just come here to advertise yourself to prospective husbands?? You're cute though. wink

1 Like

Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by MsBeautyAghedo(f): 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2012
Haha...lol....Prospective Husbands? You are funny! Sorry but am not searching... I tried posting the pictures but network was quite slow. I will post them tomorrow morning.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by claremont(m): 2:08am On Dec 29, 2012
We don see you oh, fine girl!
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by Mavor: 9:22am On Dec 29, 2012
MsBeauty Aghedo: Haha...lol....Prospective Husbands? You are funny! Sorry but am not searching... I tried posting the pictures but network was quite slow. I will post them tomorrow morning.
Ok ooo, but you make sense sha. i no mind at all. grin
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 29, 2012
Did anyone read the epistle or just the picture. lipsrsealed
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by MsBeautyAghedo(f): 12:08pm On Dec 29, 2012
Vikin: Did anyone read the epistle or just the picture. lipsrsealed
Good Question......Nigerians ain't good readers.....
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by justwise(m): 12:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
Mavor: Where are all the pix of the beautiful scenery? Or did you just come here to advertise yourself to prospective husbands?? You're cute though. wink

You really have a twisted mind i must say.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by Mavor: 8:02am On Dec 30, 2012
justwise:

You really have a twisted mind i must say.
The person that I addressed this to, took it as the joke it was and you are here saying what? If you woke up on the wrong side yesterday, your problem not mine.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by MsBeautyAghedo(f): 1:15pm On Dec 30, 2012
Mavor: The person that I addressed this to, took it as the joke it was and you are here saying what? If you woke up on the wrong side yesterday, your problem not mine.
Abeg oh...... No Fighting!!!
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by Mavor: 4:52pm On Dec 30, 2012
MsBeauty Aghedo: Abeg oh...... No Fighting!!!
See wetin fine girl cause. cheesy
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by kay2000(m): 6:17pm On Dec 30, 2012
Beauty Aghedo. Nice one. Post more pictures, especially the one you carried the rock.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by MsBeautyAghedo(f): 10:04pm On Dec 30, 2012
kay2000: Beauty Aghedo. Nice one. Post more pictures, especially the one you carried the rock.
...Thanks a lot 4 ur encouragement....lol..... But Like seriously I have a pic of me carrying a big rock @ Oke-Idanre cultural landscope in Ondo State. Relax ur mind cus My report on that site (Oke-Idanre cultural landscope) will be out soon.

Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by Mavor: 10:39pm On Dec 30, 2012
more pics with a clearer pic of you needed. grin
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by FBS: 11:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
Was there last summer. Loved it. Will post some pictures soon!
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by olamidayo85: 3:00am On Oct 12, 2013
pls i wish to know the entrance fee of those tourist centers you've been to.

send to dayo_olas@yahoo.com

i actually want to establish a tour company for individuals and most especially primary schools and colleges.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by FBS: 1:11pm On Oct 15, 2013
olamidayo85: pls i wish to know the entrance fee of those tourist centers you've been to.

send to dayo_olas@yahoo.com

i actually want to establish a tour company for individuals and most especially primary schools and colleges.

Entrance fee as at the last time I was there.

Adults: 600 Naira
Kids: 100 Naira
Parking: 100
Photography/Video: 1000 Naira
For more information, check this LINK
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by olamidayo85: 11:46pm On Oct 15, 2013
FBS:

Kids: 100 Naira

Thanks for this great info..... am very greatful
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by olamidayo85: 11:53pm On Oct 15, 2013
FBS:

Kids: 100 Naira :

Thanks for this valuable info...........am pillng up entrance fee of most tourist centers. I will appreciate other centers that you have been to.

Thanks for your kindness.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by FBS: 12:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
olamidayo85:

Thanks for this valuable info...........am pillng up entrance fee of most tourist centers. I will appreciate other centers that you have been to.

Thanks for your kindness.
If and when I do. But you can also try and visit these places yourself.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by sticalmary: 7:06am On Sep 18, 2017
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by princenat(m): 7:55am On Nov 07, 2017
Can someone please share some current photos of the following tourist sites, I was there about 19-20 years ago and I must say, it was a very interesting place to be . (1) Tiga Dam, Bebeji, Kano State
(2) Kano State Zoo/Games Reserve

Please share, cause I am planning to re-visit those sites.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by POZEHANANI(m): 6:44am On Dec 06, 2017
olumo rock is beautiful.
Re: My Field Trip To Olumo Rock In Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.. by 2special(m): 12:29am On Aug 17, 2020
Nice

(1) (Reply)

Loaded Tanker Falls At Abule Ado Satellite Town Lagos / Trailer Catches Fire Along Ikorodu Road / Top Tourist Attraction And Places To Visit In Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.