Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,671 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy (12474 Views)

Caption These Lovely Photos Of President Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala & Sanusi. / Crack In APC Widens: Buhari, Tinubu Disagree On Way Forward / GMB And Tinubu Disagree On Ministers, Transition Team? - Believeafrica.net (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Ikengawo: 5:35am On Dec 29, 2012
[size=15pt]Sanusi, Okonjo-Iweala differ over rising national debt[/size]

Written by Odidison Omankhanlen- Lagos
Thursday, December 27, 2012

THERE is apparently major disagreement between the managers of the country’s monetary and fiscal policies over rising debt profile.

While the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Lamido Sanusi, warned of the danger of accumulating more debts for future generations, the Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said there was no cause for alarm as the current loans are not from the Paris Club, which comes with purely commercial interest rates but are highly concessional loans with long periods of maturity.

According to her, the country was doing well in terms of its debt to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) ratio, now at 17 per cent, but warned that the country should not go beyond the 25-30 per cent sealing it had set for itself.

On the other hand, the Director General, Debt Management Office (DMO), Dr Abraham Nwankwo, said Nigeria will continue to borrow, stressing that every country in the world borrows; even the most financially prudent countries like Germany, United States and others borrow.

He even confirmed that the Federal Government would still borrow more money in 2013.

Speaking at the 13th session of the Honorary International Investments Council (HIIC) meeting in London recently, Sanusi urged the Federal Government not to allow the present and unborn generations inherit the heavy burden of foreign debts cautioning that Nigeria, currently under the suppressing weight of the heavy burden of foreign debts is in great danger.

“We are borrowing more money today at a higher interest rate while leaving the heavy debt burden for our children and grandchildren. For example, if you receive your salary and everyday the money is not enough, you have two options to adjust yourself. Either check your expenditure or check your wages,” he counselled.

He urged the ruling class and the older generations to set good example and educate the coming generations for a better and secured future, stating that such example should be set by not accumulating debt for future generations to inherit.

According to DMO, the country’s external debt profile as of September 30, 2012 was $6.2 billion, while domestic debt was standing at N6.3trillion. It also stated that the debt sustainability indicators showed that the country’s debt stock was sustainable.

It also said the country’s total debt profile might hit $25 billion by 2015, adding that the debt gross domestic product (GDP) ratio was 18.65 per cent, as against global ratio of 40 per cent.

The DMO Director General further said: “for 2012, Nigeria’s external debt is projected at $9,021.53 billion; 2013, $12,165.10 billion; 2014, $14,585 billion and 2015, $16,765 billion, adding that “a breakdown for domestic debt is projected at, for 2012, $6,483.81 billion; 2013, $7,125.93 billion; 2014, $7,792.41 billion and 2015, $8, 4441.86 billion.”
http://odili.net/news/source/2012/dec/27/601.html
Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 5:42am On Dec 29, 2012
However, what's the point of borrowing and accumulating more debt when there's absolutely nothing to show for it - except her fat lips These clowns will run an already poor country into the ground with their wastefulness... Paris club or China/BRIC - what difference does it make? Isn't this the same woman who committed the greatest financial blunder in history by paying off a debt that we shouldn't have been paid off in the first place?? She's a fraud!!

This woman exemplifies why education, overly-stacked CV, and experience are somewhat overrated... undecided undecided

17 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 5:46am On Dec 29, 2012
She's right. Even the US states has a huge debt profile. Liquidity is all that matters.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Ikengawo: 5:47am On Dec 29, 2012
hypeman: However, what's the point of borrowing and accumulating more debt when there's absolutely nothing to show for it - except her pig-like fat lips These clowns will run an already poor country into the ground with their wastefulness... Paris club or China/BRIC - what difference does it make? Isn't this the same woman who committed the greatest financial blunder in history by paying off a debt that we shouldn't have been paid off in the first place?? She's a fraud!!

This woman exemplifies why education, overly-stacked CV, and experience are somewhat overrated... undecided undecided
pigs don't have lips.

and what is the blunder in paying off a debt, which the majority of it was simply forgiven

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 5:48am On Dec 29, 2012
J12: She's right. Even the US states has a huge debt profile. Liquidity is all that matters.

At least the US has a lot to show for it - what have these clowns been able to achieve with the massive debts they stay accruing?? What have they built?? How many projects have they commissioned??

They're all rogues!!

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 5:49am On Dec 29, 2012
Ikengawo:
pigs don't have lips.

She's the reason Nigeria's debt was forgiven in the first place. Educate yourself.

Oh well, if pigs don't have lips - then she's got a pig's mouth... grin

And she was also the reason why all the other African countries' debts were also forgiven, no??

You're a numbnut!!

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 29, 2012
hypeman: However, what's the point of borrowing and accumulating more debt when there's absolutely nothing to show for it - except her pig-like fat lips These clowns will run an already poor country into the ground with their wastefulness... Paris club or China/BRIC - what difference does it make? Isn't this the same woman who committed the greatest financial blunder in history by paying off a debt that we shouldn't have been paid off in the first place?? She's a fraud!!

She's been at the highest level of financial management for up to ten years(nationally and internationally). I don't think any other financial manager can perform better than her.

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 5:59am On Dec 29, 2012
hypeman:

At least the US has a lot to show for it -

How?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 6:01am On Dec 29, 2012
J12:

How?

How?? shocked

Can you compare the infrastructures, economy etc. of the US to Nigeria??

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 29, 2012
Okonjo disappoints me. Why plow so much in the sovereign wealth fund and then go borrow with heavy repayment interest? Are you pleasing the world bank & IMF? Anyway, Sanusi may be right but with GEJ as their boss, nothing can go right.

Regardless, we shall vote GEJ in 2015 - 2019 cos God grin sent him and his mission is to deal with SW & up North.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by vanstanzy(m): 10:31am On Dec 29, 2012
Okonjo Iweala was around when OBJ cleared this debt. What is going on this time, i don't understand.
If the US, Germany and co borrow money, the monies are used for developmental purposes, while same cannot be said of Nigeria. Ours is used for "Embezzelment" purposes. If Nigeria can use these monies judiciously, then there won't be much rancor.
Sanusi, for once isnt wrong on his stance.
Instance, Nigeria borrows $2.5 billion, and $1.8 billion winds up being embezzeled. Then what are we talking about?

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by sonyjacobs(m): 10:34am On Dec 29, 2012
I think sanusi is right on this issue. Moreover Our leaders borrow to loot. Most of these loans will be diverted into private pocket.

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 29, 2012
When 2 economic Titans challenge each other, who should I support ? Common sense tells me to cut my coat according to my size. Another reason is that funds borrowed might even end up in a wrong purse. I agree with SLS on this. We should stop borrowing.

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Hailedin9ja: 10:36am On Dec 29, 2012
Okonjo Iweala was around when OBJ cleared this debt. What is going on this time, i taya.

She actually played a major role in ensuring that debt relief. What is going wrong this time around?

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 29, 2012
Two professional and world class egg heads, lead by an ex-fisherman; sounds like a complete demotion cheesy
Lets see what the uninspiring and clueless guy in control will decide. I hope SLS doesnt have a stroke soon. He seems to hate his job but wont quit grin!

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 29, 2012
J12: She's right. Even the US states has a huge debt profile. Liquidity is all that matters.

The USA *owns* the $$$ and even the £££ is theirs cos they succeeded in using Britain to wipe their ar5e. So they can print more dollar and raise their debt ceiling with support from congress. Nigeria is a 3rd-4th world country so more debt is in effect, perpetual slavery.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Iolo(m): 10:40am On Dec 29, 2012
hypeman:

How?? shocked

The US didn't even use its debt money to build shishi. Most of it was used to fund the Iraq and Afgan wars, social security, medicaid/medicare and also to fund the budget deficit that came up during Pres Bush's time.

China is close to $1trillion in debt with foreign reserves in the trillions of $. US is $16.4trillion in debt their reserve is less than $1 trillion. Nigeria is $6billion in debt with more than $35billion foreign reserves.

Debt is a good thing if we will spend the money wisely. The "wisely" part is my fear.

10 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by julioralph(m): 10:41am On Dec 29, 2012
No matter what, Sanusi should show respect to Madam oh. I don talk my own. cheesy cheesy
Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by nitrogen(m): 10:42am On Dec 29, 2012
Hello, debt is good, but a situation where these monies are used for recurrent expenditure is bad, when over 50% of the budget is for payment of salaries of those that just go to work everyday doing intangible stuffs, or where a house with more than the required members in it, and these can only say 'nay' and at the end of the month, they cart away over 25% of the total budget. That is the problem, we need infrastructures with those debts acquired, at least, 65% should support capital expenditures because that will invariably aid development.

I think that is what is giving SLS headache, but most will always come here and spew rubbish. They love criticisms, castigations and what have we. As for me, both should sit down and get things right in order to move the country forward.

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by victorazy(m): 10:45am On Dec 29, 2012
I WILL NEVER BLAME SANUSI FOR ANYTHING, HE IS ACCOMPLISHING A TASK, RATHER I WILL BLAME THE MMORON WE HAVE AS PRESIDENT THAT APPOINTED HIM TO THAT SENSITIVE POSITION KNOWING FULLY WHAT HE CAN DO.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by lacasa: 10:45am On Dec 29, 2012
J12:

She's been at the highest level of financial management for up to ten years(nationally and internationally). I don't think any other financial manager can perform better than her.

On top of whose management team? The World bank right!.
(Guess dat says it all).

if the world bank, the puppet Master from where NOI originated, actually knew wat they were doing then y is there a major economic crisis looming in the USA?, that warranted Obama frm cutting short his Holiday in Hawaii to stop Recession From re-setting in

NOI has outlived her usefulness in Nigeria's Economy and its Management. Wat we need are practical economists for our peculiar trends not World bank puppets & Textbook ones like her

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by yertyr(m): 10:46am On Dec 29, 2012
This woman is lost... Borrowin is no longer a problem cos top countries borrow abi? How can u justify our debts lyk dat? Sanusi said it all; our constitution is killin us.constitution where government has domant offices eg. Special advicer, Asst.special advicer,snr advicer to asst and the list is endless.ppl workin in these offices are to be paid o.then why won't we borrow? Wen government wastes revenue on itself instead of life-improvin projects? Also...GEJ told us dat one of his reason of d subsidy wahala was to check debts...y no improvement? Smh

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 29, 2012
hypeman:

How?? shocked

American infrastructure and economy has always and will always be better than that of naija.
Debt is debt, you only borrow when there's a financial need to. The US government will spend over 4 trillion in settling debts over the next 10 years, Nigeria will spend less than a quarter of that settling her own debts.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by akintun: 10:54am On Dec 29, 2012
I guess if Okonjo-Iweala was in d private sector, she would have been sacked long ago. I simply don't understand how it is good to borrow lots of money at a very high interest rate, and save excess crude oil money at a very low interest rate. They are telling us dat all other countries borrow money, but at wat interest rate do dey borrow. In fact there was a time investors were paying USA and Germany money to buy their 2 years bond. I have d believe dat d 60% debt cancellation (other countries got 100% cancellation ) was not a cancellation, but simply a refinancing of our debt. D cancelled debt would be refinanced into d future interest of future debt.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by vanstanzy(m): 10:55am On Dec 29, 2012
yertyr: This woman is lost... Borrowin is no longer a problem cos top countries borrow abi? How can u justify our debts lyk dat? Sanusi said it all; our constitution is killin us.constitution where government has domant offices eg. Special advicer, Asst.special advicer,snr advicer to asst and the list is endless.ppl workin in these offices are to be paid o.then why won't we borrow? Wen government wastes revenue on itself instead of life-improvin projects? Also...GEJ told us dat one of his reason of d subsidy wahala was to check debts...y no improvement? Smh *takes a spoonful of garri* (make I enjoy my xmas ni)

God bless u. I tot i was the only one that saw our Nigerian Constitution as the problem.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 29, 2012
julioralph: No matter what, Sanusi should show respect to Madam oh. I don talk my own. cheesy cheesy

SLS has been known to be a professional bully, an idealistic perfectionist who loves the sound of his voice more than anything in the world! hes good at quoting statistics and making reference to Harvard Business Review, and the Economist! Gosh! The guy reminds me of one of my MBA lecturer cheesy.
Mummy NOI is too soft, and I dont see her as someone getting respect from the likes of SLS. As far as I can tell, shes not as crazy as him grin

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by juwoonn(m): 10:56am On Dec 29, 2012
No suprise. Even the greatest Economist that we studied shared different views and that is why we have different schools of thought. Never expect 2 Economist to alwys be on the same side.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by caesaraba(m): 10:57am On Dec 29, 2012
Okonjo, I no dy understand you again o undecided

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Omen100(m): 10:57am On Dec 29, 2012
Billyonaire: When 2 economic Titans challenge each other, who should I support ? Common sense tells me to cut my coat according to my size. Another reason is that funds borrowed might even end up in a wrong purse. I agree with SLS on this. We should stop borrowing.

Billions, u are making a lot of sense able contributions these days, pls keep it up billions wink

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 29, 2012
victorazy: I WILL NEVER BLAME SANUSI FOR ANYTHING, HE IS ACCOMPLISHING A TASK, RATHER I WILL BLAME THE MMORON WE HAVE AS PRESIDENT THAT APPOINTED HIM TO THAT SENSITIVE POSITION KNOWING FULLY WHAT HE CAN DO.
So are you blaming the late Yaradua (RIP) and calling him a MMORON ? May be you think its GEJ that appointed SLS, in any case, this is an eye opener to your tactless, trackless, factless, careless, koboless, nairaless way of life as reflected on your weightless purse.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by omiobo: 11:08am On Dec 29, 2012

Now you can defend her but if it is Fashola,you will be raising your teeth up like cow wey lick his urine. I think oil is the liquidity,what other things?

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala & Sanusi Disagree On National Debt Policy by nitrogen(m): 11:10am On Dec 29, 2012
victorazy: I WILL NEVER BLAME SANUSI FOR ANYTHING, HE IS ACCOMPLISHING A TASK, RATHER I WILL BLAME THE MMORON WE HAVE AS PRESIDENT THAT APPOINTED HIM TO THAT SENSITIVE POSITION KNOWING FULLY WHAT HE CAN DO.

Mis-informed adult

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Strange Helicopter Found In Yoruba Forest / Mele Kyari: Nigeria Will Stop Importing Petroleum Products By Mid-2023 / PDP Senator, Nnamani Lists Tinubu's Achievements In Health Sector As Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.