Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,800 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. (3422 Views)

Computer Science VS Architecture. / Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science / Computer Science Vs Information Tech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by seniorboy1(m): 7:08am On Dec 29, 2012
Its all about technology world. I want to know which out of d two courses has better opportunity in the market. I want d boss here on nairaland to educate me more on both, dia employment opportunity in nigeria nd other part of d world, how prospective they are nd finally which one out of it i should go for. Thanks as u help ur brother in need.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by bibiji(f): 7:52pm On Dec 30, 2012
ICT is the course to go for. You cant even compare the two, if u can secure admission 2 study ICT, grab it wit both hands. Am a graduate of ICT. Gudluck
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 9:00pm On Dec 30, 2012
bibiji: ICT is the course to go for. You cant even compare the two, if u can secure admission 2 study ICT, grab it wit both hands. Am a graduate of ICT. Gudluck

Not really. Today, Computer Science is seen as the umbrella body of both ICT and non ICT related programmes.

@Op If you choose computer science, then you will get an all rounder knowledge about the science. But if you choose ICT only, then you'd be restricted to that field.

Most importantly, do not study what someone ask you. Study it because you want to.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 9:01pm On Dec 30, 2012
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Mustay(m): 10:04am On Dec 31, 2012

ICT concerns the use of computer systems,
whereas Computer Science concerns the creation of
the systems and theories behind computers.

ICT is to Computer Science what using a lift is to
mechanical engineering.

Be aware that some universities do run their ICT
degrees as 'watered down' degrees, and quality can
vary quite a lot. Make sure the department takes
your course seriously
, and make sure it will give you concrete career prospects. You should pick a degree that you think will be best for you, in terms of the money you are spending, the experience you will get, and what you will learn from it.

A typical ICT degree will focus on workplace
computer networks and business uses for IT systems. You may be taught some business analysis courses, so you can map business requirements into systems you will need to provision for a company. You may be taught managerial skills, which will come in useful if you are promoted to an management role in an IT department.

You should be taught the theory of computer
networks, of operating systems architectures, how
computers work on a hardware level, and some
programming and web development and design.

You should be taught a lot of practical skills, such as
computer repair, indepth studies of desktop
computer hardware, network hardware (routers,
switches) and network server operating systems and configurations. IT work is most often practical.
If possible, choose courses that offer training on IT
certifications as part of their course modules. IT
certifications are well regarded in the industry.
Particular certifications to look to get are Microsoft
Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Cisco Certified
Network Administrator (CCNA), the A+ certification,
Linux+ and Network+. If you can find courses that
offer you training towards any of these certs as well
as providing you with a degree, then it will probably
be a good idea, as training courses and even self-
study for those certifications can cost you thousands on their own.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Mustay(m): 10:17am On Dec 31, 2012
Personally, I'd say you compare the syllabi - a lot of our schools (both federal and state) offer outdated courses in CSC/ICT. I even get 'angered' when I have to teach a CSC some troubleshooting on PCs for example. Those who work as apprentices etc get a better on-the-job experience than a CSC undergraduate that hardly uses a system in the laboratory.

If you choose to do it anyway, endeavor not to 'dull yourself' - develop yourself outside the school curricula so that you just don't end up having the degree for the sake.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Skywalker5(m): 11:42am On Dec 31, 2012
I might be wrong but here is what i know about the three

Computer science Its more of computer programming

Information Technology Its more of Everything computer hardware, Networking,little bit of programming,latest trends in computing

Communications technology. This has to do with Telecommunications. Radio waves and stuff like that. A colleague of mine did this at masters level
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 8:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
Sky-walker:
I might be wrong but here is what i know about the three

Computer science Its more of computer programming

Information Technology Its more of Everything computer hardware, Networking,little bit of programming,latest trends in computing

Communications technology. This has to do with Telecommunications. Radio waves and stuff like that. A colleague of mine did this at masters level

Computer Science is like a supper set.
Programming is not a field per say but a tool which is applied in every field, including Information Communications Technology.

Even the subjects of what is considered Communications Technology has its roots in Physics and Mathematics.

In Computer Science, you have Hardware, Networking, Database Administration and Programming, which are all inter-related. For example, in Networking, programs are written to transport data from a node to another and the act of writing a program is Programming. In Database Administration, you actually write programs to create and maintain a database structure.

Computer Science can also be seen as an applied science. There's this misconception about Computer Science being all about Programming especially in this part of the world. But there's more to it. There's Software/Application Development which some schools teach as Software Engineering which still is a field under Computer Science.

Going further, there's Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Expert Systems, Operations Research, Compiler and Operating Systems Design and Construction, Virtual Reality, Microprocessors, Networking, etc. Even within these fields, there are sub-fields.

So Computer Science is a vast and dynamic discipline. Programming is like outlaying a series of steps so as to solve a particular problem within a time frame or better still in finite time.

Hope you can understand.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Skywalker5(m): 9:26pm On Dec 31, 2012
kaboninc:

Programming is not a field per say but a tool which is applied in every field, including Information Communications Technology.

Even the subjects of what is considered Communications Technology has its roots in Physics and Mathematics.

In Computer Science, you have Hardware, Networking, Database Administration and Programming, which are all inter-related. For example, in Networking, programs are written to transport data from a node to another and the act of writing a program is Programming. In Database Administration, you actually write programs to create and maintain a database structure.

Computer Science can also be seen as an applied science. There's this misconception about Computer Science being all about Programming especially in this part of the world. But there's more to it. There's Software/Application Development which some schools teach as Software Engineering which still is a field under Computer Science.

Going further, there's Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Expert Systems, Operations Research, Compiler and Operating Systems Design and Construction, Virtual Reality, Microprocessors, Networking, etc. Even within these fields, there are sub-fields.

So Computer Science is a vast and dynamic discipline. Programming is like outlaying a series of steps so as to solve a particular problem within a time frame or better still in finite time.

Hope you can understand.

Dont know where you got your information from but for UK university, computer science is not as broad as you have written.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 10:35pm On Dec 31, 2012
Sky-walker:

Dont know where you got your information from but for UK university, computer science is not as broad as you have written.

Am a graduate. So I know what am saying. Take a good look at our syllables, I mean the NUC course outline and compare even with the best schools in the world. You'll find out that there's no much difference except in teaching style.

Browse the internet. Visit wikipedia. Go to Google and make your research
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Skywalker5(m): 11:18pm On Dec 31, 2012
kaboninc:

Am a graduate. So I know what am saying. Take a good look at our syllables, I mean the NUC course outline and compare even with the best schools in the world. You'll find out that there's no much difference except in teaching style.

Browse the internet. Visit wikipedia. Go to Google and make your research

oh i forgot, i am not a graduate
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 11:27pm On Dec 31, 2012
Sky-walker:

oh i forgot, i am not a graduate

Oh sorry about that.
What I meant was that I passed through the course and had a taste of it. So I speak from what I've learnt and know.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Skywalker5(m): 11:38pm On Dec 31, 2012
kaboninc:

Oh sorry about that.
What I meant was that I passed through the course and had a taste of it. So I speak from what I've learnt and know.

lol. so you passed through the three courses right or because i said i am not a graduate? i am not gonna argue with you but all what you wrote for computer science is too broad for computer science. Well its not in Nigeria university but sit down and read all the topics you just wrote about computer science.

what with the sorry about that? because i said i am not a graduate? lol. so you feel achieved because i said i am not a graduate and you are on nairaland?

I was just being sarcastic Mr Graduate
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 10:46am On Jan 01, 2013
Sky-walker:

lol. so you passed through the three courses right or because i said i am not a graduate? i am not gonna argue with you but all what you wrote for computer science is too broad for computer science. Well its not in Nigeria university but sit down and read all the topics you just wrote about computer science.

what with the sorry about that? because i said i am not a graduate? lol. so you feel achieved because i said i am not a graduate and you are on nairaland?

I was just being sarcastic Mr Graduate

Lollll. I said 'sorry' because people do read different meanings to ones intention. Anyway, I had 'stint' of these courses. Yes in Nigeria you have these courses but the problem is the teaching style and facilities.

There's no need arguing about this. If you doubt what I've just said, Google it. Make your research.

And em.....happy new year

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Skywalker5(m): 12:10pm On Jan 01, 2013
kaboninc:

Lollll. I said 'sorry' because people do read different meanings to ones intention. Anyway, I had 'stint' of these courses. Yes in Nigeria you have these courses but the problem is the teaching style and facilities.

There's no need arguing about this. If you doubt what I've just said, Google it. Make your research.

And em.....happy new year

Now i see why you kept saying i should goggle computer science. Wiki was your source not from experience.

Happy new year to you too
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 1:30pm On Jan 01, 2013
Sky-walker:

Now i see why you kept saying i should goggle computer science. Wiki was your source not from experience.

Happy new year to you too

Of all I said, its only 'Wiki' and 'Google' you picked?
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Skywalker5(m): 2:14pm On Jan 01, 2013
kaboninc:

Of all I said, its only 'Wiki' and 'Google' you picked?

lol Google pointed me to wiki after copying and pasting your words. grin grin grin
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by kaboninc(m): 2:32pm On Jan 01, 2013
Sky-walker:

lol Google pointed me to wiki after copying and pasting your words. grin grin grin

Lollll.
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by seniorboy1(m): 8:23am On Oct 26, 2013
To God be the Glory. I appreciate everyone that contributed to this thread, may God bles you all. I'm now admitted to study ICT in the BBF university, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State.
Mustay:

1 Like

Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Simcha: 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2016
kaboninc:

Hope you can understand.
which school is good computer and or other IT trainings
Re: Computer Science Vs Information And Communicatiom Technology. by Simcha: 6:48pm On Feb 17, 2016
kaboninc:

Hope you can understand.
which school is good to study computer science and or other IT trainings

(1) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Banks Has A Principal Manager Grade? / Meet The Most Beautiful Fire Service Officer In Nigeria (photos) / Is Human Resource Management Better Than Public Relations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.