Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,037 members, 7,866,923 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:17 AM

Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory (559 Views)

President Buhari To Inaugurate His Cabinet On Wednesday By 10 AM / Fayose Riding On "Okada" To Inaugurate The New House Of Assembly [Photo] / Gani Adams, Itsekiri Leaders Inaugurate OPC In Warri, Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory by PaulJohn1: 3:15pm On Dec 29, 2012
December 29, 2012 at 10:40 am
Usman told journalists on Friday in Lagos that the laboratory would be located in Abuja in line with international practices.

“The bureau is very close to launching its own Flight Data Recorder (FDR) and Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) laboratory being installed by the CAE/FlightScape Incorporation of Canada which will enable us to download both flight recorders promptly during investigations. Hitherto and now, these units are taken overseas for downloading,” he said.

Usman said that when completed, the laboratory would also handle cases of air, marine, road and rail accidents.

“We have highly qualified accident investigators who were trained in world class institutions to man the laboratory on inauguration,” he said.

According to him, the bureau has commenced training its personnel in investigating marine, road and rail-related accidents whenever they occurred.

“So AIB’s planned collaboration with the Federal Roads Safety Commission (FRSC) in this respect is still ongoing,” he said.

Usman disclosed that 20 out of the bureau’s 32 recommendations had so far been implemented by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Aviation.

He identified some of the recommendations as the establishment of the Total Radar Coverage of Nigeria (TRACON) project and airlines installing ground tracking devices in their offices to monitor their flights while flying.

Usman recalled that no passengers was rescued in previous air accidents in Nigeria involving the ADC, Bellview and Beachcraft 1900 D airlines because there was no radar system to track them.

Signature : APA
Copyright : © APA
http://en.starafrica.com/news/nigeria-to-inaugurate-5-5mn-accident-investigation-laboratory.html

Re: Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory by nifemi01(m): 3:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
Nice one, atleast we won't have to wait 5-6 years b4 our investigations yield any result like bellview.
Re: Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory by PaulJohn1: 3:32pm On Dec 29, 2012
While I commend the FG on this, I think it'll be better to spend more on accident preventive infrastructures. Accident Investigation laboratory is less important if accident occurrence is at it limit.
$5.5million will go a long way in construction of standard federal roads that are the major cause of accident to the common Nigerians.
I guess the accident investigation laboratory been inaugurated is meant for top government officials due to accident some governors have been involved in of recent and not for ordinary Nigerians.

Plus, inauguration of this won't bring back dead but'll only reveal details of the cause and a little idea of how future occurrence can be averted and not taking care of the primary cause I.e. bad roads, ineffective communication system, sub standard airport etc.
Re: Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory by OmoTier1(m): 5:41pm On Dec 29, 2012
Paul John: While I commend the FG on this, I think it'll be better to spend more on accident preventive infrastructures. Accident Investigation laboratory is less important if accident occurrence is at it limit.
$5.5million will go a long way in construction of standard federal roads that are the major cause of accident to the common Nigerians.
I guess the accident investigation laboratory been inaugurated is meant for top government officials due to accident some governors have been involved in of recent and not for ordinary Nigerians.

Plus, inauguration of this won't bring back dead but'll only reveal details of the cause and a little idea of how future occurrence can be averted and not taking care of the primary cause I.e. bad roads, ineffective communication system, sub standard airport etc.

@ bold,
Part of the accident prevent technique is understanding why previous ones happened and putting in place a mitigation. If FG is able to pull this off with any bribe and corruption, it would be a plus for the aviation sector.
Re: Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory by PaulJohn1: 5:55pm On Dec 29, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

@ bold,
Part of the accident prevent technique is understanding why previous ones happened and putting in place a mitigation. If FG is able to pull this off with any bribe and corruption, it would be a plus for the aviation sector.

Paul John:
Re: Nigeria To Inaugurate $5.5mn Accident Investigation Laboratory by taharqa: 7:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
Paul John: While I commend the FG on this, I think it'll be better to spend more on accident preventive infrastructures. Accident Investigation laboratory is less important if accident occurrence is at it limit.

Oh Lawd!! Dear Lawd......... KIDS on d prowl *smhv*

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Nigeria's Greatest Dissapointment Of 2012? / Governor Amaechi Intimidates And Embarasses Road Users In Porthacourt Today / Okada Riders Lose Suit Against Lagos Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.