Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (662819 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Olumyco(m): 10:25am On Jul 14, 2015
oluwadotman:
I am a java programmer, I wonder y folks seperate java frm javacsript.
Javascript is primarily used for validation(forms embedded) while java is a programming language use 4 coding java applications.
Howeva, wht u wnt 2 major on as a programmer wil determine d type of language u wnt 2 learn.....so mk findings on wht u want e.g database adminstrator, core programmer(web based or stand alone) or hacker.

Mentioning hacking, folks myt wonda if its 4 a malicious intents buh der r diff hackers, d white hackers r d gud guys who proffer solutions 2 security threats wyl d black hackers causes havoc 2 internet security or firewalls.
Dunno if I've bin able 2 contribute a lil quota.

JavaScript was primarily used for client side programming and not just form validation only then, but a lot has changed about it in the recent times.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 5:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
TO THE GEEKS HERE:

Sorry for asking this, but is it possible to learn programming ordinarily by online turorials and e-books alone?

I mean without an instructor.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by umaryusuf(m): 8:31am On Jul 15, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:
TO THE GEEKS HERE:

Sorry for asking this, but is it possible to learn programming ordinarily by online turorials and e-books alone?

Thanks in anticipation.

Yes, it is very possible. The instructor is a virtual one, if you use online tutorials & ebooks.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by creampassion: 2:02pm On Jul 15, 2015
@ everybody please I have been trying to build my HTML layout and all has been going on smoothly but I have a challenge I haven't been able to insert a picture to it and am doing this with a laptop that is not connected to the internet please I would need your suggestions thank you in advance
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 12:00am On Jul 18, 2015
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by IamWebwiz(m): 3:34am On Jul 20, 2015
Thanks a lot. Good to be here. I am learning a lot
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by katana: 1:18pm On Jul 20, 2015
My advise is to start with JavaScript, it is the most used language right now.
it can be used both on the web clientend, (jquery, backbone.js, angular) and at the backend (node.js)
it is simple and easy to start learning with minimal resources
http://www.w3schools.com/js/
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by katana: 1:23pm On Jul 20, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:
TO THE GEEKS HERE:

Thanks in anticipation.

Yes thats one of the best ways to learn programming.
Its how i learnt programming and keep updated in learning new technologies and am in my 15th year as a software developer/architect
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2015
katana:

Yes thats one of the best ways to learn programming.
Its how i learnt programming and keep updated in learning new technologies and am in my 15th year as a software developer/architect

Okay thanks sir for your response. I really want to take Software Development as a profession, I need it to be what I do everyday if my life.
Pls how do you think I can achieve this?? Perhaps if we can connect on whatsapp sir, it would be better

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ojim07(m): 7:09pm On Jul 22, 2015
I wuld love to rilly be a software deloveper..hav be learning java on my own... Hope etz a good way to start
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
Please CODERs. I need a PHP programmer to help me with a small niche social media website. If you are interested send me an email with the subject 'programmer' to j.tenna@yahoo.com

Looking forward to hear from you
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by olasheny1: 4:54am On Jul 25, 2015
Learning programming has never been easier.

More than a decade ago, programming is almost done from the scratch but today you could write a program that finds the mean of n numbers without knowing the formula for finding the mean. You simply use the mean() function in R for example to compute the mean.

There are vast arrays of programming languages to choose from. What should guide you choice, in my view, is your industry and your personal goals. Why is programming important to you? Do you want to learn it for fun or for career advancement? How strong is your mathematics and statistics? If you're interested in Data Science (one of the sexiest fields today), you might want to explore R and Python. If you're in engineering, Mathlab and Mathematica might meet your needs. R and Python are freewares and their downloadable files could be found from google search.

Identify the core reasons why you're considering programming before settling for one.

I hope this helps.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bussieboi(m): 9:35am On Jul 27, 2015
wisemania:

thinking in c++, volume one and two. c++ primer plus( sixth edition)
thanks

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ennie03(m): 12:47pm On Aug 01, 2015
Olumyco:

JavaScript was primarily used for client side programming and not just form validation only then, but a lot has changed about it in the recent times.

if one wants to be a white hacker, which language will he/she starts with?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ennie03(m): 12:52pm On Aug 01, 2015
JohnDoe2015:
web development..
do you really want to learn web programmin?
if yes, I have the solution to your answer..
1. the truth is with the huge sum of money you are going to pay @NIIT, you won't still be fulfilled becos programing requires personal training and motivation.
2. truth, everyone says motivation, personal training but the place of a mentor can not be under estimated.. so to learn quick and fast, you also need a mentor
3. you also need programmers, people of like minds who want to learn same thing or doing same thing so you can share ideas while you both learn..
well you might think.

I know I have told you the truth in good faith, but I have a solution...
I am also a learner and have been into web for 2years now, I want to help you, help myself and others who r interested in a group of 5programmers where we will teach ourselves well, buy materials ourselves online and learn at a fast pace with losing huge sum of money to NIIT.
pls whatsapp me on 2349033863912.
note, am not collecting any money from you.
must reside in Lagos
lets hook up. i stay in lagos though i am a beginner and i just started. menitan03@gmail.com... 08066551713
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by israelBigFame(m): 9:50pm On Aug 01, 2015
Web designer /developer needed, reach me on whatsapp 08061302359 or bbm 2BCDC7D4
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Dailiesroom: 10:06pm On Aug 01, 2015
Yahoo! Mail is your ubiquitous email program on the web, Windows 8 and mobile devices with unlimited storage, SMS texting, social networking and instant messaging to boot.
While Yahoo! Mail is generally a joy to use, free-form labeling and smart folders would be nice, and the spam filter could catch junk even more effectively.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Zaks0n(m): 2:47pm On Aug 02, 2015
If you want to learn how to program, then I will recommend you read this blog post, I think it is going to help a lot of us here.

http://zaksonstech..com/2015/08/howwhere-to-learn-programming.html
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by micheal5772: 10:35pm On Aug 02, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:
TO THE GEEKS HERE:

Thanks in anticipation.
BIG YES MY DEAR, I am a java programmer, and i have never attended any hand to hand training..
I didn't just jump to java programming language., i started with HTML and CSS alongside with javascript just to understand what programming really is... Nd later when have understood what it is, I started my JAVA, today am far gone into It with the help of Online Tutorials and Pdf's... Brother , pls don't loose the zeal if you have passion for it.. Do Something!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 12:43pm On Aug 03, 2015
micheal5772:
BIG YES MY DEAR, I am a java programmer, and i have never attended any hand to hand training..
I didn't just jump to java programming language., i started with HTML and CSS alongside with javascript just to understand what programming really is... Nd later when have understood what it is, I started my JAVA, today am far gone into It with the help of Online Tutorials and Pdf's... Brother , pls don't loose the zeal if you have passion for it.. Do Something!

Thank you very much for igniting the passion again. Please can you (please again) give a useful link of where to start with.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by micheal5772: 7:46pm On Aug 03, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:

Thank you very much for igniting the passion again. Please can you (please again) give a useful link of where to start with.

Thanks in anticipation.
you can Google pdf books on java programming, once downloaded, then you will have to download JAVA JDK(compiler) from Oracle website and any IDE to code and run.... Add me on whatsapp for more bro 08071114558... YOU WILL SURELY FIND JAVA INTERESTING..

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kapersky(m): 2:10pm On Aug 05, 2015
how can you build a house without a solid foundation, how can you become a good programmer without a foundation...
i recommend starting with BASIC programming language... Learn it here for free.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6Qil8qovM?list=PLJNW2DKDGQplcLdvQ9kJMHBjMKNCx_BPQ
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by luthorcorp: 8:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
Javanian:
Due to the numerous "i want to start programming, which language should i start with" threads on this board i decided to create a thread that will address this issue. I am not a wonderful writer and i won't say i know it all but i will try. I urge every one on this board to correct me where i err an also contribute in whatever way you can to make this thread worth it. I will try as much as possible not to be biased in this write up.

I am not going to go into detail in defining what programming is because i will assume before entering this thread you should already know what programming is. But in summary programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and computer programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and a computer. You can read more from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming

Programmers could also be called software programmers, software developers and other big-big names you can think of.

Feel free to ask your questions, i will try and answer the ones i can my Ogas in the house will help me with those i can't answer

Please every Programmer should try as much as possible to check on this thread once in a while to help answer some questions Newbies would like to ask.
Yoruba language

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.