Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

My People I Need Help - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My People I Need Help (1657 Views)

Happy New Year To All My People On Nl / Happy 4th Of July, My People O / I Need Mature Advice On This My People: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My People I Need Help by mother28: 11:08am On Jan 01, 2013
Happy new year to my brothers/sisters. My people i need an honest feedback. After living in American for 12yrs,i am contemplating on coming home (port harcourt) to start a small business.I must confess am not sure what type of business to venture out in.I know i want to come home and contribute to the economy, am tired of living in American, i dont feel happy being here any longer. My people can you pls advise me on what business to venture in, things to ship to nigeria that might sell.I currently have a savings of $21,000 and am a bit scared.Is there anyone who recently relocated to nigeria? How was the experience? Any likes or dislike? Did yall make it in our motherland?
Re: My People I Need Help by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 01, 2013
They are many things you have to consider when your planing to start a business in Nigeria.

I'll be back to give you tips!!
Re: My People I Need Help by eyenCalabar(m): 12:16pm On Jan 01, 2013
Sis, you'll make it here only if you have the right attitude for success. I'll suggest female lines like weavons, shoes, bags etc for you. Just push these things where you are down here. You'll make good gains.
Re: My People I Need Help by mother28: 12:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
thanks for the info
Re: My People I Need Help by bigheart2013(m): 11:35pm On Jan 01, 2013
Sister,please it's suicidal! I tried it few years ago with almost $100,000 and nearly lost everything. I rushed back to USA begging for just any job. My Experience: Think about decent accomodation with good security (quite expensive in PH),renting a business premises, generating your own power on daily basis, people there buy things and won't pay, fraud, theft and shoplifting by your own workers, 80% are fraudsters and criminally minded, insecurity (armed robbers, kidnappers, militants, ritualists, etc)-robbers and bullion van security men were always shooting-out along Aba-PH expressway and at bank branches...only people with either political contacts or ready to sleep with politicians make it there...very frustrating environment. I will also suggest you waith till after 2015 elections.

5 Likes

Re: My People I Need Help by tpia5: 11:47pm On Jan 01, 2013
@ op

na wa,

anyway, use the search function. undecided
Re: My People I Need Help by Kobojunkie: 1:07am On Jan 02, 2013
mother28: Happy new year to my brothers/sisters. My people i need an honest feedback. After living in American for 12yrs,[b]i am contemplating on coming home (port harcourt) to start a small business.I must confess am not sure what type of business to venture out in.[/b]I know i want to come home and contribute to the economy, am tired of living in American, i dont feel happy being here any longer. My people can you pls advise me on what business to venture in, things to ship to nigeria that might sell.I currently have a savings of $21,000 and am a bit scared.Is there anyone who recently relocated to nigeria? How was the experience? Any likes or dislike? Did yall make it in our motherland?

Your story is typical of many, in fact most who have, in at least the last 10 years, moved back to Nigerian only to regret it. I suggest you first spend some time figuring out why you are not happy living in America. Then work on that problem, so that you do not carry them over to Nigeria and possibly ruin your chances there too. There are tons of stories of people like you who moved back, and for one reason or another had to find their way back. Some others are still struggling trying to make sense of it all. Many came back dejected and bitter.

Also, the fact that you have no clear idea what you want to go do in Nigeria( no laid out business plan and no definite on how things will work) is indication you are not ready for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My People I Need Help by aniffy4eva(m): 1:57am On Jan 02, 2013
mother28: Happy new year to my brothers/sisters. My people i need an honest feedback. After living in American for 12yrs,i am contemplating on coming home (port harcourt) to start a small business.I must confess am not sure what type of business to venture out in.I know i want to come home and contribute to the economy, am tired of living in American, i dont feel happy being here any longer. My people can you pls advise me on what business to venture in, things to ship to nigeria that might sell.I currently have a savings of $21,000 and am a bit scared.Is there anyone who recently relocated to nigeria? How was the experience? Any likes or dislike? Did yall make it in our motherland?

I'm usually not the pessimistic type but i'm going to have to be honest here. Until you are sure about what business you want to do, don't even start. Please don't listen to people (they'll soon come online tongue)telling you to come "home" and "figure it out".. just don't...

Also be prepared for the culture shock. I know you are tired of US but trust me, you must be mentally prepared for business in Nigeria (and with Nigerians). When you eventually get the idea/business you want to settle for.. try a pilot (ie test-run) with a part of your savings (e.g. $5,000 or less). Also consider running an online store where people can actually purchase your goods without you actively staying in Nigeria and would probably cost you less. This should provide you with some knowledge that'll aid your final decision.

As for people who have recently relocated... there are good stories and also bad stories, we'll only just advise you based on the side of the divide we fall on as individuals. However, from my experience, the "bad" greatly outnumber the "good"....

Like we say down south.. abeg think am well well. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My People I Need Help by greatgod2012(f): 3:37am On Jan 02, 2013
Kobojunkie:

Your story is typical of many, in fact most who have, in at least the last 10 years, moved back to Nigerian only to regret it. I suggest you first spend some time figuring out why you are not happy living in America. Then work on that problem, so that you do not carry them over to Nigeria and possibly ruin your chances there too. There are tons of stories of people like you who moved back, and for one reason or another had to find their way back. Some others are still struggling trying to make sense of it all. Many came back dejected and bitter.

Also, the fact that you have no clear idea what you want to go do in Nigeria( no laid out business plan and no definite on how things will work) is indication you are not ready for Nigeria.

well spoken, im in Nigeria, not that she cant make it in Nigeria but d fact that she doesnt have d clear picture of what she is coming to do in nigeria is d beginning of her failure. Thanks for this eye opening advice.
Happy new year to you!

1 Like

Re: My People I Need Help by dayokanu(m): 5:58am On Jan 02, 2013
aniffy4eva:

I'm usually not the pessimistic type but i'm going to have to be honest here. Until you are sure about what business you want to do, don't even start. Please don't listen to people (they'll soon come online tongue)telling you to come "home" and "figure it out".. just don't...

Also be prepared for the culture shock. I know you are tired of US but trust me, you must be mentally prepared for business in Nigeria (and with Nigerians). When you eventually get the idea/business you want to settle for.. try a pilot (ie test-run) with a part of your savings (e.g. $5,000 or less). Also consider running an online store where people can actually purchase your goods without you actively staying in Nigeria and would probably cost you less. This should provide you with some knowledge that'll aid your final decision.

As for people who have recently relocated... there are good stories and also bad stories, we'll only just advise you based on the side of the divide we fall on as individuals. However, from my experience, the "bad" greatly outnumber the "good"....

Like we say down south.. abeg think am well well. cheesy

Chairmannnnnnn you just bone everyone

OP, No try am. 21,000 USD is how much in Naira like 3m Have you thought of where to live? The shop you would rent? the items you would buy in, The other things you need like Genrator, household equipment etc

WHy are you not happy in America? Do you have a family? Is your family relocating with you? Or are you relocating with hopes that you might get a husband too in Nigeria like many before you have done?

What do you do in America? Any degree? If you are a professional you might want to try getting a job in Nigeria and test waters.

I also hope you have your papers complete cos if it doesnt work out in naija you can grab a flight ticket and run to America back

2 Likes

Re: My People I Need Help by mother28: 7:07am On Jan 02, 2013
Happy New year to everyone. I just want to Thank yall for your feed back, pls keep them coming. I guess i should have given y'all more information about me. My dad relocated my silbings and I 12yrs ago(5 total). We are all US citizen. Two years ago we lost our beloved mother and i just have never being the same. I felt like a part of me is missing not sure what.I have not told my dad or silbings about my plans, i guess because am afraid what they may say. i have a bachelor's degree in criminolgy and i work for the sheriff department here as a detention officer. I do NOT want to be employed in nigeria, i only want to work for myself. As far as accommdation, we have a family home in port harcourt.My dad recently re-married i believed my step mother is the only one living there. I Know in my heart their is money to be made in Nigeria but am not sure whats selling. I'm the only one relocating and am NOT looking for a husband.

1 Like

Re: My People I Need Help by aniffy4eva(m): 10:23am On Jan 02, 2013
dayokanu:
Chairmannnnnnn you just bone everyone
My brother...no be so.. i just dey stealth mode cool
Sending you a PM..
Re: My People I Need Help by Callotti: 11:15am On Jan 02, 2013
Americanna for life! cool
Goodluck sweerie! kiss
Re: My People I Need Help by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 02, 2013
Your coming to Nigeria is like a disaster waiting to happen.coming to Nigeria requires huge capital,and your 21000$ is just like a drop in an ocean. The country lacks all the basic requirement of the survival of any business.

I suggest you stay there,invest your time there,then come home when you are mentally,and physically prepared to come retire here.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: My People I Need Help by Gboliwe: 1:16pm On Jan 25, 2013
You've lived in America n for 12 whole years, have a bachelors in crimnolgy (whatever that is)
And you are lesbian!
Congrats! Everything makes sense
Re: My People I Need Help by AspySuspy: 1:19pm On Jan 25, 2013
Callotti: Americanna for life! cool
Goodluck sweerie! kiss

Ameeeeeeeeen!!!!! cool
Re: My People I Need Help by juman(m): 7:13pm On Jan 25, 2013
May God save the citizens of this country.

Your $21,000 is small money.
Re: My People I Need Help by DameGambrosia: 7:19pm On Jan 25, 2013
3 million Naira to relocate to start business in Nigeria?

Buy a car and use it for transportation. . . at least you can feed from day to day.

GOD BLESS AMERICA JARE!!!! cool

(1) (Reply)

Advice Pls / ‘I Desire To Have My Own Village’ Says Native Doctor With 56 Wives And Over 300 / Very Touching (with Images).....feel Like Crying Rght Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.