Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? (1233 Views)

Jonathan's Legacy Is The Headline In Tanzanian Newspapers (pics) / Auctioning Of 419 Second Niger Bridge And Jubilation Of Igbo Fools / Ohaneze Crisis And The Auctioning Of The Igbo Presidency (part1) By Obinna Akukw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by TRUTHTELA: 12:25pm On Jan 02, 2013
Is it a case of the city of BLIND people, one eyed man is the king? Or is it's people been perpetually GULLIBLE? I still can't believe that a SANE man, he or she doesn't even need to be educated or exposed to life in civilized countries, but, YOU'RE SANE and you rates Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM license to MTN, ECONET and co, as an ACHIEVEMENT or LEGACY

I'm willing to know from NL, folks, how GSM, license that was given to foreign companies, to trade their goods and services and make money turned out to become a FAVOR to Nigerians?? Was GSM phone and lines given to Nigerians for FREE? Before the arrival of GSM, there was Nitel ( 090 Mobile), all the Government did was to liberalize the telecommunication market. Say, you MUST PRAISE someone for bringing the GSM, have you asked yourself, this THIEF (Obasanjo), that I want to praise, WHAT EFFORT DID HE MAKE TO ENSURE THAT NIGERIANS ARE NOT PAYING THE HIGHEST TARIFF IN AFRICA HOW MUCH OF INFRASTRUCTURE (e.g ELECTRICITY) DID HE PUT ON GROUND, SO THAT MTN and co, WILL NOT BE USING LACK ELECTRICITY AS REASON TO OVER-CHARGE NIGERIANS? HAVE YOU ASKED YOURSELF WHY IS IT ONLY NIGERIANS THAT CARRY 3 or 4 PHONES ABOUT??

I don't get it, do South Africans talk about Nelson Mandela's GREATNESS because of one business decision he made while in office?? USA, leads the world in technology, and you can't hear the citizens HONORING any of their presidents simply cos INTERNET, MOBILE TELEPHONE, LAPTOP, GOOGLE, FACEBOOK, etc was INVENTED or CAME INTO EXISTENCE during the presidents tenure. It's all about SOCIAL SERVICES.

Why can't it be that Obasanjo, built the best roads in Yourbaland?? Obasanjo, made STABLE electricity possible?? Obasanjo, built the BEST PUBLIC HOSPITAL IN WEST AFRICA The BEST PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN Nigeria will be found in Ogun state, built by Obasanjo?? Rather, he STOLE public funds and built some of the most expensive( Bells Schools and University) schools in Nigeria. WHY WHY? Is this your HERO?? Is this the man that meant well for Nigeria?? Do you find GSM license as an achievement for a man that spent 8 years in office??
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:32pm On Jan 02, 2013
It would have happened anyway.
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by TRUTHTELA: 12:35pm On Jan 02, 2013
PROUD-IGBO:
It would have happened anyway.

Sure, it was a BUSINESS DECISION, period.
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by 2Legit2Qui: 12:44pm On Jan 02, 2013
You wake up everyday looking for ways to malign leaders. You are a Truth Teller indeed. I dont know the essence of this argument. Maybe the "auctioning" hasnt done anything good for the Nigerian people and their means of doing business.
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by TRUTHTELA: 12:53pm On Jan 02, 2013
2Legit2Qui: You wake up everyday looking for ways to malign leaders. You are a Truth Teller indeed. I dont know the essence of this argument. Maybe the "auctioning" hasnt done anything good for the Nigerian people and their means of doing business.

I'm not trying to malign your "rulers".They kept you in darkness, I'm fighting for you to see the light
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by 2Legit2Qui: 12:56pm On Jan 02, 2013
TRUTHTELA:

I'm not trying to malign your "rulers".They kept you in darkness, I'm fighting for you to see the light

Fight for yourself to remove the log in your own eye first. Go and tell Obasanjo to withdraw the licenses so we take you serious that you are fighting for us.
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by TRUTHTELA: 1:02pm On Jan 02, 2013
2Legit2Qui:

Fight for yourself to remove the log in your own eye first. Go and tell Obasanjo to withdraw the licenses so we take you serious that you are fighting for us.

Wow, the effects of DEBASEMENT and SERVITUDE
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by 2Legit2Qui: 1:04pm On Jan 02, 2013
TRUTHTELA:

Story teller. What is it you are even trying to say. Achievement or Legacy? Whats that? You are really fighting on cyber space. Hit the streets if you want to fight any fight, not on cyber space.
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by slimming: 1:14pm On Jan 02, 2013
It is an achievement anyday and anytime.
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jan 02, 2013
If its an achievement to issue licence and collect MONEY from telecommunication companies then its a bigger achievement to issue import licence to Ibeto cement group for them to import cement because govt does not collect MONEY in the later. Lol...
Even a primary 3 pupil can sign out licence and collect MONEY.
GSM is new technology in communication that would still have penetrated Nigeria even if there was no leader or worst stil, in war situation
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
TRUTHTELA:

Baba created an enabling environment as the President and Commander-in-Chief Federal Republic of Nigeria for effective communication thus bridging the barrier as well as lapses of NITEL!!!

A Government that create an enabling environment for (communication) business to thrive should be commended!!!

Happy New Year!!!!
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
If GSM is to be credited to anybody, is should be Abacha, who issued the first GSM licence.

Next someone is gonna post giving Jonathan the "achievement" of bringing Facebook into Nigeria angry

Maybe Abacha would also be credited for Personal Computers in Nigeria and Gowon for bringing colour television into Nigeria angry
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
@ OP,
It is really a damning testament to the fact that Obasanjo achieved nothing in 8 years in which he enjoyed record high revenues from record high crude oil prices, that the only thing that his supporters can attempt to claim he achieved was to say that he auction licences for GSM and collected money which he probably looted anyway.

His supporters forget that Abacha had already issued GSM licence before Obasanjo.

Shame on Obasanjo!
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by Genius100: 6:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
TRUTHTELA: Is it a case of the city of BLIND people, one eyed man is the king? Or is it's people been perpetually GULLIBLE? I still can't believe that a SANE man, he or she doesn't even need to be educated or exposed to life in civilized countries, but, YOU'RE SANE and you rates Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM license to MTN, ECONET and co, as an ACHIEVEMENT or LEGACY

I'm willing to know from NL, folks, how GSM, license that was given to foreign companies, to trade their goods and services and make money turned out to become a FAVOR to Nigerians?? Was GSM phone and lines given to Nigerians for FREE? Before the arrival of GSM, there was Nitel ( 090 Mobile), all the Government did was to liberalize the telecommunication market. Say, you MUST PRAISE someone for bringing the GSM, have you asked yourself, this THIEF (Obasanjo), that I want to praise, WHAT EFFORT DID HE MAKE TO ENSURE THAT NIGERIANS ARE NOT PAYING THE HIGHEST TARIFF IN AFRICA HOW MUCH OF INFRASTRUCTURE (e.g ELECTRICITY) DID HE PUT ON GROUND, SO THAT MTN and co, WILL NOT BE USING LACK ELECTRICITY AS REASON TO OVER-CHARGE NIGERIANS? HAVE YOU ASKED YOURSELF WHY IS IT ONLY NIGERIANS THAT CARRY 3 or 4 PHONES ABOUT??

I don't get it, do South Africans talk about Nelson Mandela's GREATNESS because of one business decision he made while in office?? USA, leads the world in technology, and you can't hear the citizens HONORING any of their presidents simply cos INTERNET, MOBILE TELEPHONE, LAPTOP, GOOGLE, FACEBOOK, etc was INVENTED or CAME INTO EXISTENCE during the presidents tenure. It's all about SOCIAL SERVICES.

Why can't it be that Obasanjo, built the best roads in Yourbaland?? Obasanjo, made STABLE electricity possible?? Obasanjo, built the BEST PUBLIC HOSPITAL IN WEST AFRICA The BEST PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN Nigeria will be found in Ogun state, built by Obasanjo?? Rather, he STOLE public funds and built some of the most expensive( Bells Schools and University) schools in Nigeria. WHY WHY? Is this your HERO?? Is this the man that meant well for Nigeria?? Do you find GSM license as an achievement for a man that spent 8 years in office??

It's obvious you are a clown. There are many examples in Nigeria of bungling privatization exercises. How many times have they tried to privatize Ajaokuta Steel mill? What about our refineries, Nitel etc? You want more of Obasanjo's achievements: How about getting rid of about $30 billion in debt? How about creating excess crude account and funding it to the tune of $20 billion, only for Yar'adua and GEJ to squander the money. How about consolidation of banks? Perhaps you are too young to remember when banks will just go out business and people simply lost all their savings. Obasanjo has done his own. Leave him alone and let the new people do their own..
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 02, 2013
GenBuhari: @ OP,
It is really a damning testament to the fact that Obasanjo achieved nothing in 8 years in which he enjoyed record high revenues from record high crude oil prices, that they only thing that his supporters can attempt to claim he achieved was to auction licences for GSM and collect money which he probably looted anyway.

His supporters forget that Abacha had already issued GSM licence before Obasanjo.

Shame on Obasanjo!
OBJ did very poorly if judged based on the fact that he became president when the legislators and governors didn't know their right from their left, making him very powerful. In such environment, he could have bulldozed his way thru much needed structural changes that could have placed this country on the path of speedy development. At the time of OBJ, the president was like the governors of today, who are emperors in the various state. Fortunately or unfortunately, things have changed drastically today. The NASS of today are pulling serious weight, summoning and un-summoning, probing and un-probing, so much so that radical re-structuring stand no chance of passing thru the NASS. The governors on the other hand are even more powerful than the president, especially when they come together in that their governors forum.
Nevertheless, the later part of OBJ administration was somewhat eventful. Various reforms, including pension, unbundling of PHCN,NIPP, etc came alive. It was as if OBJ woke up very late in the day, making even some of his well thought out reforms to be poorly implemented because he suddenly became in a hurry to do some many things. Even the entire privatisation process under his regime was a complete MESS. Also he was able to complete only 2 major roads in the south- the Benin By-pass and Benin-Asaba roads- in 8yrs. I dont know about the north.
In conclusion, I think OBJ expended TOO MUCH energy and time playing politics that he lost sight of governance.
Re: Obasanjo's auctioning of GSM, License An ACHIEVEMENT Or LEGACY??? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 02, 2013
@Sincere 9igerian
You are are looking for ways to give Obasanjo some credit and he honestly does not deserve it.

Anything Obasanjo did was for selfish reasons.
His privitisation of virtually all of our national assets was done in such a way as to sell thema at give away prices to companies that he has major share holdings in.

He mismanaged and oversaw the looting and closure of Nigeria Airways.

He gave away oil -rich Nigerian land -Bakassi monetary loss of wealth of this single act, is too huge to contemplate apart from the humanitarian perspective as he denied the indegines a say in whether they wish to be part of cameroun or not.

It seems to me that he was purposely sent by CIA to destroy Nigeria and all the present problems with corruption were created by his government.

(1) (Reply)

Mark Takes On Aliyu At Presidential Water Summit / I Won’t Stop Attacking Nigerian Websites –irish Hacker / Shameful Look Of Federal Secretariat Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.