Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? (3131 Views)

PHOTO: The "Real" Face Of Jesus Uncovered / Nigerians, Road Accidents And The Blood Of Jesus. / Akudaya:myth Or Reality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by plaetton: 4:22pm On Mar 04, 2013
Lord_Reed: @plaetton

I think you have watched too many films and read too many books where the focus of the magic lay in chants and spells. The name of Jesus is neither a chant nor is it a spell. The magic or juju we are used to seeing in movies and books is a complicated process that involves putting together all the elements that you mentioned. The power in the name of Jesus does not follow this process. The process required is much simpler but yet will elude the wise of this world for it requires the foolishness of faith to work. I will point you to Acts 19:13-17 where some people try to use the "magic" of the name of Jesus. They failed. You seem to be toeing the same line with them. Unless and until you believe in Him, you will not see the name work for you.

I know that for you the problem with faith is that it is not a scientifically verifiable process nor can it be measured accurately but I tell you that for us who believe the name of Jesus is salvation and has been a pillar of strength in time of need.

You just contradicted yourself.First you accuse me of watching films and reading too many books. You said the power in the name of jesus does not follow that process. Well, what process does it follow?
Then at the end you say those of you who believe the name of jesus is salvation and pillar of strenght in time of need....

So you do believe that there is a power that resonates with that name.?

main question is : Is there power in the name of Jesus? Yes or no?

I dont know about you, But from infancy, must of us have been made to believe and accept that there is power in the name of Jesus.
If you doubt this, go to any church and listen.
Since we now know that JESUS is simply a derivative of the original name, my questions are:

1. Does anyone know that original name given to him by his momma and papa?
2. Did Isaiah prophecy not claim that " he shall be called Emmanuel"? So why was he not named Emmanuel?
3. If there is power in the original name, as we assume there would be, should we also assume that such power would also reside in the name jesus, the generic version of his original name?
I have argued that this cannot be the case.
In Jewish and most of ancient mysticism, Holy names are sacred specially configured letters and vowels with a special numerical value, much like a musical octave. So yes, you can call it a spell or a talisman.

A holy name was a reservior of latent power, to be only invoked sparingly, and in worthiness.

1 Like

Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by kabiyesiii(m): 4:14am On Mar 05, 2013
The original name of "Jesus Christ" is Yehoshua Ben Joseph

The "Christ" is the Hellenized corruption of Krishna, the black one. The earlier images of "Jesus & Mary" were of Jet Black in complexion.
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by LordReed(m): 8:25am On Mar 05, 2013
plaetton:

You just contradicted yourself.First you accuse me of watching films and reading too many books. You said the power in the name of jesus does not follow that process. Well, what process does it follow?
Then at the end you say those of you who believe the name of jesus is salvation and pillar of strenght in time of need....

So you do believe that there is a power that resonates with that name.?

main question is : Is there power in the name of Jesus? Yes or no?

I dont know about you, But from infancy, must of us have been made to believe and accept that there is power in the name of Jesus.
If you doubt this, go to any church and listen.
Since we now know that JESUS is simply a derivative of the original name, my questions are:

1. Does anyone know that original name given to him by his momma and papa?
2. Did Isaiah prophecy not claim that " he shall be called Emmanuel"? So why was he not named Emmanuel?
3. If there is power in the original name, as we assume there would be, should we also assume that such power would also reside in the name jesus, the generic version of his original name?
I have argued that this cannot be the case.
In Jewish and most of ancient mysticism, Holy names are sacred specially configured letters and vowels with a special numerical value, much like a musical octave. So yes, you can call it a spell or a talisman.

A holy name was a reservior of latent power, to be only invoked sparingly, and in worthiness.

I in no way contradicted myself. Lemme recap my post. I said that you seem to think that Jesus' name is like a chant or a spell along the lines of the magics or juju of popular movies, it is not. Faith is the operating factor. The power is not intrinsic to the name. Transliterations of the name will still work because of faith not because you called the name.

Those of us who believe are not practicing Jewish mysticism when we call the name. The authority we wield with that name is similar to when a letter signed by the President is presented, it does not matter whether you the presenter knows the full or original name of the President as long as you have a valid signature you are covered.

The name Emmanuel was not going to be His "name" rather it was going to show a "function" , God with us. Jesus said when He resurrected "I will be with you till the end of the age", that is the Emmanuel.

Do not confuse the power in the name of Jesus with mysticism.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by kabiyesiii(m): 6:56pm On Mar 05, 2013
How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us.
~ Pope Leo X
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by plaetton: 5:33am On Mar 06, 2013
Lord_Reed:

I in no way contradicted myself. Lemme recap my post. I said that you seem to think that Jesus' name is like a chant or a spell along the lines of the magics or juju of popular movies, it is not. Faith is the operating factor. The power is not intrinsic to the name. Transliterations of the name will still work because of faith not because you called the name.

Those of us who believe are not practicing Jewish mysticism when we call the name. The authority we wield with that name is similar to when a letter signed by the President is presented, it does not matter whether you the presenter knows the full or original name of the President as long as you have a valid signature you are covered.

The name Emmanuel was not going to be His "name" rather it was going to show a "function" , God with us. Jesus said when He resurrected "I will be with you till the end of the age", that is the Emmanuel.

Do not confuse the power in the name of Jesus with mysticism.

So If in a chruch service, a new-age pastor decides to replace the name Jesus with "Orkija Juju, everything remains the same, so long as he is visualising a white skinned man?
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by LordReed(m): 8:32am On Mar 06, 2013
plaetton:

So If in a chruch service, a new-age pastor decides to replace the name Jesus with "Orkija Juju, everything remains the same, so long as he is visualising a white skinned man?

You are still getting it wrong. Faith is not about visualizing a "white skinned man" neither is Orkija Juju a valid transliteration. All you seem to be focused on is the magic sequence of popular fiction. To understand the power in the name you must understand the "process" of faith.

Stop equating the name of Jesus to spells, incantations and new age practices.

2 Likes

Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by donchido(m): 9:00pm On Jun 16, 2015
ur head dey dere joor smiley

Or a son of himself.....Jesus is God wink
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by donchido(m): 9:08pm On Jun 16, 2015
mr man ur just using style to advertise your atheism........ 2 bad ....... smh
DeepSight:

^^^ Its not a worthy thread Plaetton. God is worshipped in spirit. As such, when one mentions a name its the inner idea of the person one evisages that counts. If truly Jesus is God or the son of God (you know I believe neither) it would be irrelevant what human name he is called by - particularly if it is the same given name but merely translated or transliterated. The difference would be as pedantic as that between Yahweh and Jehovah and between Eli and Allah, or Cephas and Peter.
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by donchido(m): 9:19pm On Jun 16, 2015
he is not doing that the truth is that u do not just want to agree with him, his points are clear even to a unborn person " :0
LordReed:

You are still getting it wrong. Faith is not about visualizing a "white skinned man" neither is Orkija Juju a valid transliteration. All you seem to be focused on is the magic sequence of popular fiction. To understand the power in the name you must understand the "process" of faith.

Stop equating the name of Jesus to spells, incantations and new age practices.
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 16, 2015
plaetton:

Thank you.
I get your point, and yes, I have a good understanding of how languages and dialects evolve. Infact, studying the evolution of languages is the most reliable method of retracing history.

However, the point I have been trying to make here, which you have missed, is the fact we are not talking about an object here, as in your examples. We are not talking about an ordinary word, nor an ordinary name.
Here ,we are talking about the devine name of the son of the omni omni God.

Let me repeat again, in Hebrew Mysticism, names, apart from having certain unique vowels inserted, also have numerical values. So if you change the letter A to E in a name, you have altered the numerical value of that name, and, in the case of holy names, you would have altered the latent energy configuration of that name. Such an act would have constituted the highest blasphemy, punishable by instant death.

Infact, to insure the spiritual integrity of their holy scriptures, every line of every page of every scroll had a numerical number equalling the sum of the numerical values of all the the words. This was done to prevent word substitutions, embellishments and forgery.
By painstakingly applying this technique in the study of ancient hebrew scriptures, it becomes easy to discover which parts of the ancient scriptures had been altered or edited.

Back to the issue, my point is that when it comes to issues of holy names, the phrase " a rose by any other name is still a rose" does not apply.

If there is power in the name of the son of god, as there should be, it would have to be in the special configuration of letters, vowels and their numerical values.
Only therein would the Real Power reside and resonate.

Where does the scripture establish this formulae? Oh Hebrew mysticism? I thought u were serious.
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by plaetton: 11:37pm On Jun 16, 2015
JMAN05:

Where does the scripture establish this formulae?

To maintain integrity of the scriptures.
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 16, 2015
plaetton:

To maintain integrity of the scriptures.

Edited pls.
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by plaetton: 1:34am On Jun 17, 2015
JMAN05:

Where does the scripture establish this formulae? Oh Hebrew mysticism? I thought u were serious.

Isn't the bible a book of hebrew history, legends, mythologies and religion?
Is the bible an African book or a book of ancient Judaism?

2 Likes

Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by LordReed(m): 8:53am On Jun 17, 2015
donchido:
he is not doing that the truth is that u do not just want to agree with him, his points are clear even to a unborn person " :0

Since it is clear to the unborn, elucidate on his point.
Re: The Real Name Of Jesus: Power In The Name Or Power In The Myth? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 17, 2015
plaetton:

Isn't the bible a book of hebrew history, legends, mythologies and religion?
Is the bible an African book or a book of ancient Judaism?

U are still far.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disciples Of Christ Or A Church Member? / This Is Highly Sacrilegious!!!(pics) See What A Young Lady Did With The Bible! / Concept Of CONSTANTS(PAINS) And VARIABLES(COMFORT). Must Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.